Vermintide

Necronic

Staff member
Man, this game. I mean. THIS. GAME.

Ok, so Vermintide takes place in the Warhammer fantasy world during whats called the End Times. Chaos and Skaven (rat men) are overrunning the entire world. Apparently Skaven blew up the moon? Anyways, that's not important. This game is about you fighting the skaven in one city in The Empire (human lands, well one of them).

The game is a horde survival game. Think Left for Dead or Killing Floor. Except instead of machine guns you have swords and axes and magic and instead of Uncle Phil you have a Dwarf or a Elf or a Wizard. Each character is very distinguished from the other. Different weapons, different play style, and in some cases (wizard) different mechanics. The melee combat feels great, really rewarding. The blocking mechanics are really really well done, and there is something so satisfying about lodging an axe in a skaven skull.

There's more though, the game has actual progression in it from map to map. At the end of a match you "roll die" to get a possible new weapon or trinket. During the match you can pick up things that let you roll more die (tomes and grimoires) but also make the match more difficult. The gear progression is actually pretty fun, and it doesn't feel too grindy or that it makes you overpowered.

Why? Because the game is incredibly hard. L4D is a straight joke compared to this game. I have had a hard time completing maps on easy on multiple occasions. This will get better as I get my hands on better gear, which means that item progression allows you to play more difficult maps that are sort of untouchable at low levels. There's also a limited crafting system.

Anyways, here are the current heroes:

Witch Hunter: Sword and Fast Ranged (brace of pistols or repeater). Middle of the road in terms of damage and defense. He can weild a greatsword or a fast single sword. I believe he can also dual weild a sword and a pistol, haven't played with him much.

Dwarf Ranger: Sword and board or great weapon, or Slow Powerful Ranged. One of the 2 possible tank characters. Can either play a defensive role with the shield, which is very useful, or weild a great weapon to clear groups. Has one of the most powerful ranged weapons, but its very slow. He also is shorter, and this is sort of disorienting when you play him.

Elven Waywatcher: Sword/swords and fast ranged. High damage but the weapons are usually low defense. My personal favorite to play. Lots of fun with the dual weild swords, or even the daggers, but they are a bit strange to use. The bow is of course awesome. Look basically you're Legolas.

Empire Soldier: Fairly similar to the Dwarf, you can either go with one BIG weapon that clears groups or a sword and board. One difference is that his ranged weapon is a blunderbuss so that's awesome.

Bright Wizard: The NUKE. This character plays different from the rest. He has a sword which you will use from time to time, but the main thing is his staff, which he uses to cast fire spells. You have to manage your magic though, because if you use too much too fast you will straight up explode and die. Does a lot of damage though, and has some great AOE spells. Depending on which staff you use the spells will be different.

Anyho, the game is sweet. My only complaint with it right now is that it is so difficult that I don't like playing with PUGs.

Cool, will have to see if I can get my group interested in it. Looks fun but honestly I am looking for anything that does co-op play well.

GasBandit

Staff member
Did they address the problem of so much of the game being too freakin' hard to see? I'm really interested in this game, in any case.

Not enough to break my "no preordering" rule, but perhaps enough to not wait for it to go to $15 on a steam sale..

Did they address the problem of so much of the game being too freakin' hard to see? I'm really interested in this game, in any case.

Not enough to break my "no preordering" rule, but perhaps enough to not wait for it to go to $15 on a steam sale..
I got it for $20 on GreenManGaming.

As for it being dark, it doesn't seem too dark to me. Yeah, the gameplay happens at night, but it seems to be a pretty bright night from what I can tell so far, aside from a few dark alleys.

Necronic

Staff member
The only visibility problem I've had have been with not seeing other players from time to time in the middle of a swarm of rats. Other than that visibility is more than fine.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm going to rationalize it away by saying 36 hours before launch isn't REALLY preordering, not in the way that damages the gaming industry, anyway.

/out out damned spot

The only visibility problem I've had have been with not seeing other players from time to time in the middle of a swarm of rats. Other than that visibility is more than fine.
Options

player outlines

change from "on" to "always"

You're welcome.

Reactions: Dei
Ehh... with the pre-order discount and the voucher for GreenManGaming, the game is suddenly 30% off before launch. I can justify dropping 21.60 on a lark if I'm essentially getting a Steam Sale discount.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/235540/discussions/1/483368433105670297/

You can't play the game currently and we are very sorry for that. We've had to take down our backend for unscheduled maintenance. It's a difficult decision but a few hours ago we had some technical issues with our backend due to failed unauthorized tampering with the servers. We are now tightening up these processes before the release of the game on Friday. This is now our top priority here at Fatshark and we hope to be able to get online again today, Wednesday. We'll keep posting more info as we have it.

Being an indie developer we are used to working tightly with our community to improve our games during betas. This includes openness and simplicity. Vermintide has got a great response - there are more beta players than we imagined even in our wildest fantasies - and everyone at Fatshark is working long hours to give you the best game possible by Friday, and beyond. Bear with us as we tighten the screws on the backend!

We're supposed to be getting another update in the next 30 mins/1 hour to explain what exactly the issue is and (hopefully) how long we can expect to wait.

So, maybe tonight I'll get to find out how badly I need a computer upgrade. I already know I need a new video card and to replace all of my RAM. [emoji14]

Necronic

Staff member
The new map is pretty cool. Only problem with the game I'm seeing right now is that there is little incentive to cycle maps. Just run Horn of Magnus over and over again for gear.

This game is really fun, but I have had no luck pugging it tonight. Haven't cleared a single map.

I'm going to have to find some people to play with.