[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

GasBandit

Staff member
High School of the Dead writer Daisuke Sato has passed away from coronary artery disease. He was 52.

The series artist, his brother Shoji Sato, could conceivably continue the work with a different author but it's like the series is completely dead at this point. Shame... they stopped doing it because they thought the zombie fad had run it's course, but they could have at least made a concrete ending.
That sucks. Both that he died and that the series won't get an ending.

fade

Staff member
this. It was dumb and fan servicy, but it also didnt take itself seriously which is rare of horror.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. Unless you mean anime horror. There's a whole genre of B horror that exists just to not take itself seriously.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. Unless you mean anime horror. There's a whole genre of B horror that exists just to not take itself seriously.
What seriously!? All my horror fan buddies ever watch is the stuff that is like super cereal shit. Id kill for some funny horror.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

fade

Staff member
So I can't play h?

Ever wondered what the plot of Monsters, Inc. would be like as a harem anime? Well, wonder no more!

GasBandit

Staff member
Chaika the Coffin Princess

I wasn't expecting much from this series, but was pleasantly surprised. It's got a novel twist on a few old tropes that get mishmashed together into an enjoyable show. Bonus points for having a beginning, middle, and end that only takes two seasons. I'd put the quality about on par with the 2004 version of Fullmetal Alchemist. It has a magic system that seems to borrow from both FMA and Bleach, and except for one or two episodes that sort of feel like filler, the whole thing is engaging - not even the usual ramp up at the start. It's rare that an anime series hooks me with the very first episode, but this one did.

Ending Spoilers:
While the inevitable conclusion to the story arc is plainly telegraphed, the twist about the exact identity of "Guy" did surprise me. And while the overall plot was pretty good, the dialog was merely adequate for the most part - except for the last episode. The arc words "Father. Funeral." coming full back around to the White Chaika's sacrifice was quite effective. But the final line of the show was the biggest punch in the gut. I wondered how many missed the implied significance of Chaika saying "Thank you" for the first time in the series instead of "Gratitude." It means her memory was completely wiped, and her personality along with it. For all intents and purposes, the White Chaika committed suicide-by-mindwipe to fuel the shot that killed Emperor Gaz. Kind of puts a bitter note to what it otherwise plays off as a happy ending.

Show by rock. Dubbed. Turns out all of it got a dub including the music, which while not spectacular has a lot of heart and im almost done with season 1. Has been great now trying to decide what to watch after.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

GasBandit

Staff member
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable.

Jotaro: "I never would have thought a water-based stand could be so terrifying!"

Somewhere, N'doul slowly weeps, remembering the time 11 years previous when he freaked everybody right the fuck out by using his water-based stand to decapitate a guy and then cram the head into a canteen without breaking it.

On a drunken spree I decided to watch the first ep of Hamtaro on Youtube after watching the abridge series-HOLY SHIT-what moron cast/directed Laura's voice actress? She's like, friggin' ten in this series but she sounds like she's a college student. Fuck, the abridged series sounds better than the official American dub.

GasBandit

Staff member
More "Jotaro conveniently forgets part 3" stuff.

Josuke's grandpa dead for less than 5 minutes, and all damage healed by Crazy Diamond:
"I'm sorry, once life is gone, there's no stand that can bring it back." - Jotaro

(11 YEARS AGO) Jotaro's grandpa, dead from exsanguination by DIO, then transfused unsuccessfully at least an hour later:
"Welp I'll just pump his heart with Star Platinum's fist a couple times"

Also, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but why does Part 4 (28 year old) Jotaro look younger than Part 3 (17 year old) Jotaro?!

Last edited:

Necronic

Staff member
I keep wanting to watch Blood C. I'm not sure it's any good but some of the scenes in that I've caught on various montages seem interesting enough to justify watching the show.

Anyways here's some of them done to Benny Hill music, understand that this is extremely NSFW.

I keep wanting to watch Blood C. I'm not sure it's any good but some of the scenes in that I've caught on various montages seem interesting enough to justify watching the show.

Anyways here's some of them done to Benny Hill music, understand that this is extremely NSFW.

Thanks for bringing it up, adding to my watch list--I was a huge fan of Blood+ in my early college days. I love the Clamp-ey style of this one, it's like xxxHolic: Going Postal.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ouran Highschool Host Club

Oh look, they got Mabel Pines to be the voice actress for the anime version of Mabel Pines.

And Vic Menahga is definitely so very Vic Magnolia. Also my voice recognition software has no idea who Vic McNugget is

Ouran Highschool Host Club

Oh look, they got Mabel Pines to be the voice actress for the anime version of Mabel Pines.

And Vic Menahga is definitely so very Vic Magnolia. Also my voice recognition software has no idea who Vic McNugget is
wow are you just getting to that now? its been out for years! im surprised it took you this long.

im working on episodes 12-26 od hunter x hunter myself.

GasBandit

Staff member
wow are you just getting to that now? its been out for years! im surprised it took you this long.

im working on episodes 12-26 od hunter x hunter myself.
It's not a title I probably would have picked for myself under normal circumstances. But I was in the mood to watch something that was dubbed in English and there wasn't much else to pick from that I've heard good things about. I'm only a few episodes in and I'm already not sure whether or not I'll make it all the way to the end.[DOUBLEPOST=1492631695,1492631393][/DOUBLEPOST]And now I'm back at my desk, and can once again successfully type "Vic Mignogna."

Though, Vic McNugget sounds like it'd be a pretty good FMA joke.

fade

Staff member
Vic McNugget sounds like the name of a poorly acted, mullet-wearing sidekick of the main thug from an 80s high school dramedy. He does that thing where he sort of bends backward a little while chewing Juicy Fruit gum loudly and sneering, while smacking an aluminum baseball bat into his fingerless leather gloved hand.

fade

Staff member
I really enjoyed Hunter x Hunter. Talk about tone shifts, though. It's like light-hearted, light-hearted, you know what, let's make this DARK.

Also, someone really likes the Joker.

I gotta get back into that, looks very DBZ and I'd probably like it. Also I know the main character's origin isn't "Fairy Tail" complicated. Jesus Christ, kid gets trained in magic by a dragon, that's ALL it needed to be!

Onto other news, I wander if the Vigilante "My Hero Academia" manga will get a series as well. Features two illegal quirk users, and a bad-ass old man who has NO quirk basically making him this world's Wildcat.

fade

Staff member
Also the insect arc is clearly a thin metaphor for the Meiji Restoration through the modern era. I mean, jeez, the heroes even
literally reluctantly use an atomic bomb which would've won the battle if not for some convenient deus ex machinas

Holy shit, in the third chapter of Vigilante-MHA, it CLEARLY has a Cyclops and Wolverine fighting as if they were Middle school delinquents. That...that is glorious.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm trying to power through Ouran High School Host Club as much as I can. It's got its moments ("THERE'S DEBAUCHERY HERE!" - 5 year old girl) but I was right, this isn't really my things. The last half dozen episodes or so have all been "let's focus on one of the boys and showcase how utterly broken they are inside" themed, and it's getting rather tiresome. I want to push through to the end just for the sake of knowledge, but I've already caught myself websurfing on my phone 3 times while watching it and that's not something I ever do.

The ending is lame. I wouldn't bother, especially if you're not into it. I say this as someone who really enjoyed Ouran.
To be FAIR-it was a pilot season basically and there was a lot of stuff from the manga they didn't get to do in the show. I like the show for what it is, but its a damn shame it only scratched the surface of the books.