[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

Just got amagi brilliant park, plan is to start it tonight. Will report back with findings.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
alright, so, this shit is bananas. Thats some serious slice-o-life at an amusement park. all the magical employees are fun and quirky. I enjoyed the story arc behind the parks renewal. would watch a second season.

SO and I watched Drifters over the past 2 evenings. By far the best show of of this past year in terms of sheer enjoyment and grinning time. It had a few weak moments/aspects (slapstick ratio too high, somewhat transparent plot twists), but 95% of the time it delivered utterly fantastic balls-to-the-wall shonen insanity with a Hellsing coat of paint.

I started watching Yuri on Ice last night, became enthralled, and then watched it all instead of sleeping. :heart::heart::heart:

GasBandit

Staff member
Started binging on Jojo. Got through Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency, just starting in on Stardust Crusaders now.

The crunchyroll translations don't seem like they're very accurate, though. Yare yare daze.

It's kinda funny how this series started off more or less vanilla and just got more and more batshit crazy and more and more homoerotic.

It's like, in Phantom Blood, everybody just dresses fancy because it's the late 19th century. Then in Battle Tendency, the big bads are all super-muscle-men in speedos, then Stardust Crusaders starts making everything "fabulous," by the time you get to Vento Aureo they're not even pretending to hide what they're up to, and now there's Jojolion and they're just seeing how far they can push the gimmick.

Yes, these guys are both straight.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
The crunchyroll translations don't seem like they're very accurate, though. Yare yare daze.
Seriously, it's almost comical at this point. Polnareff just learned the name of his sister's killer, and the caption is all "Centerfold!" But the Japanese audio is emphatically "J Geil!!!!"

It's such a pathetically half-assed attempt to get around a copyright that I'm amazed it actually seems to satisfy the conditions enough to not get sued.

My first post in this thread, since I haven't watched a new anime series in quite a while. But my brother just got me into Konosuba, and I haven't giggled at a show like this in ages. It's silly, stupid, but very enjoyable!

My first post in this thread, since I haven't watched a new anime series in quite a while. But my brother just got me into Konosuba, and I haven't giggled at a show like this in ages. It's silly, stupid, but very enjoyable!
I enjoy this one because it takes the hugely-popular "Oh no I woke up in RPG Land!" trope of the last couple years and turns it into a fantastic comedy where the MC has zero chance to accomplish his mission.

GasBandit

Staff member
Crunchyroll keeps trying to tell me I should watch that. Maybe I will give it a try.

Basically, if Kiriko is the guy who wants to be the best at PVP and Haruhiro is the guild leader trying to get his friends through hardcore mode, then Kazuma is the guy who dances naked in town and fishes.

alright, so, this shit is bananas. Thats some serious slice-o-life at an amusement park. all the magical employees are fun and quirky. I enjoyed the story arc behind the parks renewal. would watch a second season.
I added this to my Crunchyroll list and started watching it with my husband last night. It's great!

I started watching Yuri on Ice last night, became enthralled, and then watched it all instead of sleeping. :heart::heart::heart:
Kati just finished bingeing it last night! You two should talk.
...especially since she's still just coasting out her CR trial, and I think you said you have gift memberships available, or something...

--Patrick

Kati just finished bingeing it last night! You two should talk.
...especially since she's still just coasting out her CR trial, and I think you said you have gift memberships available, or something...

--Patrick
I have 48 hour trial passes, so they are great to use if you're going to marathon something.

I have 48 hour trial passes, so they are great to use if you're going to marathon something.
Aww, I thought we were going to be able to freeload.
Oh well.
She signed up pretty much just to binge YaoI...er, I mean YoI. Dunno if she's going to want anything else right away (she's still exploring what has been opened to her).

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Dio: "So this is an automobile. Very strong and fast. In my day, we only had horse-drawn carriages."

Dio, minues later: "Act like a flight attendant bringing a drink to a passenger!"

I don't know who is responsible for this anachronistic oversight, the original dialog or Crunchyroll's continuingly and progressively more shitty subtitles.

And while I'm griping about crunchyroll, I'm really disappointed in how few dubs they have, especially for titles they have that I know have english dubbed versions.

Also, the "ambient occlusion" effect that happens every time someone is stabbed or cut open or smokes a cigarette is really, really getting tiresome. That's some cowardly bullshit right there.

fade

Staff member
Also, the "ambient occlusion" effect that happens every time someone is stabbed or cut open or smokes a cigarette is really, really getting tiresome. That's some cowardly bullshit right there.
Isn't a lot of that effect in the originals, though?

GasBandit

Staff member
Isn't a lot of that effect in the originals, though?
There are definitely two versions, with and without the black shadow censoring. Apparently they used a different version for Stardust Crusaders.

[DOUBLEPOST=1486998070,1486997971][/DOUBLEPOST]And I remember watching the OVAs 20 years ago, they didn't censor the cigarettes..

But now every time Jotaro sparks up...

Yep. No idea what's going on here, guys.

GasBandit

Staff member
Fridge logic time.

It just occurred to me.

They censored open wounds.

They censored Jotaro smoking.

But they didn't censor Polnareff smoking.

They also didn't censor Oingo, shapeshifted into Jotaro, smoking.

THEY ALSO DIDN'T CENSOR 5-YEAR-OLD POLNAREFF's GENITALS. (NSFW)

For those who didn't know, there's a Japanese live-action film of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in the works. It's being directed by Takashi Miike, and it's going to be based on Diamond is Unbreakable. The first posters have been released.

GasBandit

Staff member
For those who didn't know, there's a Japanese live-action film of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure in the works. It's being directed by Takashi Miike, and it's going to be based on Diamond is Unbreakable. The first posters have been released.

I'm still grumpy they decided to go with Part 4. Ok, I understand that the best one, part 3, would be over 9 hours long... but heck, they could have done part 1, and at least it would still have DIO in it!

I'm still grumpy they decided to go with Part 4. Ok, I understand that the best one, part 3, would be over 9 hours long... but heck, they could have done part 1, and at least it would still have DIO in it!
Honestly, for a Japanese film, I can understand going with Diamond is Unbreakable. That feels like it would be a better fit, considering its setting in a Japanese town and largely Japanese cast of characters. I'd rather see Phantom Blood handled as an American film, were it ever to happen.

Little Witch Academia (2013)

The pilotiest damn animation pilot I have ever seen! Don't get me wrong, loved the animation, down for more, but there's definitely room to improve that I can't wait to see. Prefer the sub to the dub of course.

Little Witch Academia (2013)

The pilotiest damn animation pilot I have ever seen! Don't get me wrong, loved the animation, down for more, but there's definitely room to improve that I can't wait to see. Prefer the sub to the dub of course.
Be sure to check out the OVA movie they did... Little Witch Academia: Mahou Shikake no Parade? It's a fun ride too. Be sure to check out the crowd during the parade for several Western animation icons... I saw at least 2 real people and 3 animated one!

It should also be noted that both the pilot and the OVA have NOTHING to do with the tv show, plot wise. The TV show is it's own thing and plot picks up from episode 1.

Very good- ALSO-

...I have never been more impressed...or more horrified by accurately looking manga based characters. Uncanny valley even.

Dio: "So this is an automobile. Very strong and fast. In my day, we only had horse-drawn carriages."

Dio, minues later: "Act like a flight attendant bringing a drink to a passenger!"

I don't know who is responsible for this anachronistic oversight, the original dialog or Crunchyroll's continuingly and progressively more shitty subtitles.

And while I'm griping about crunchyroll, I'm really disappointed in how few dubs they have, especially for titles they have that I know have english dubbed versions.

RE: The dub thing - It annoys the fuck out of me that I have to go to Hulu to see the Sailor Moon Crystal dub. I prefer to watch the sub, because the dub VAs annoy the shit out of me, but it's 1000x easier to get my daughter to watch a dub.

GasBandit

Staff member
RE: The dub thing - It annoys the fuck out of me that I have to go to Hulu to see the Sailor Moon Crystal dub. I prefer to watch the sub, because the dub VAs annoy the shit out of me, but it's 1000x easier to get my daughter to watch a dub.
Well, at least you're not raising a weeb.

Necronic

Staff member
Netflix has a new Gantz 3D movie. I won't say if it's good or not, haven't finished it. Seems good though.

Main thing though is that it's some of the best 3D I've ever seen. Like borderline real looking. Kind of trippy.

Necronic

Staff member
Ok so the story isn't great, but it's worth watching just for the quality of the animation. Never seen anything like that.