[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

HOLY SHIT SENTAI FILMWORKS HAS REALLY KNOCKED THEIR COLLECTORS EDITIONS UP TO A NEW LEVEL! (spoilered for size)

GasBandit

Staff member
Reading up on the buzz about DB Super's first female Super Saiyan, and the author says "Caulifla, (though we still say her name sounds like a truncated version of "Cauliflower")..."

REALLY.

You DON'T SAY.

You know how I know you're not a long time fan of Dragonball, Samantha Loveridge?

They're just lucky they don't have a comments section. Perhaps that is by design.

Reading up on the buzz about DB Super's first female Super Saiyan, and the author says "Caulifla, (though we still say her name sounds like a truncated version of "Cauliflower")..."

REALLY.

You DON'T SAY.

You know how I know you're not a long time fan of Dragonball, Samantha Loveridge?

They're just lucky they don't have a comments section. Perhaps that is by design.
ITS ALMOST LIKE THEY NAME ALL THE MAIN SAYAINS AFTER VEGGIES ISNT THAT RIGHT KAKKOROT AND VEGETA!?

I'm sorry I have a staff meeting tonight and im kind of tense since its the end of the busy season and everyone is stupid.... -__-"

fade

Staff member
Is that better or worse than Vaguely Englishy Sounding Name?

This is our protagonist Edtoot Smifrat and we're not going to be entirely clear on whether we're using Surname Given or Given Surname ordering.

Is that better or worse than Vaguely Englishy Sounding Name?

This is our protagonist Edtoot Smifrat and we're not going to be entirely clear on whether we're using Surname Given or Given Surname ordering.
hey man i thought Edward Elric was pretty clear. :3

fade

Staff member
One thing I like about Yu Yu Hakusho is that Yusuke and Kuwabara are decently matched. Unlike other anime where the chief protagonist is way stronger than everyone else. I guess the author repeated the pattern with Gon and Killua later, too. Kuwabara isn't as strong, but he makes up for it with his spiritual awareness and his ability to shape his own ki without training.

One thing I like about Yu Yu Hakusho is that Yusuke and Kuwabara are decently matched. Unlike other anime where the chief protagonist is way stronger than everyone else. I guess the author repeated the pattern with Gon and Killua later, too. Kuwabara isn't as strong, but he makes up for it with his spiritual awareness and his ability to shape his own ki without training.
This is stuff happening in Dragonball Super, to a degree. In the current arc, 90% of the team are guys who (power wise) should be completely outclassed against certain foes, but due to the rules of the fights they are entering, they actually have an enormous edge. This means guys like Krillian (-the- technical fighter of the Z warriors), Piccolo (the OTHER technical fighter), Master Roshi (wiliest man alive AND HE BETTER FIGHT AS JACKIE CHUN), and Tien (weird techniques and he could stand up to Imperfect Cell) are suddenly the most viable choices. And that's before things like Krillian's recent power up enter the picture.

It's not EXACTLY the same situation, but it's nice to see some of the older faces from the show actually doing something besides dying for once.

WHAT? Damn, next you'll be telling me it's not a coincidence that Beerus and Champa both sound like types of alcohol.
i never actually considered that until you mentioned it, lol. I also have an epic shit ton of anime coming in the mail this weekend. its gonna be nuts!

Yuri on Ice is now officially the only subbed anime I've been able to get my daughter watch. I made her watch one episode, and then she watched all 12 episodes.

Just started watching KonoSuba.

I get it now, @GasBandit!

Also, this series is funny as hell - I love how it takes fantasy/gaming tropes and tosses them firmly on their ear. Good shit.

I need a masochistic crusader in my life...

I cvant wait for the dub for konasuba, in other news im eating my way through the front half of season 6 of inuyasha as i apparently hate myself more than i am willing to let my to watch pile keep growing.

GasBandit

Staff member
I cvant wait for the dub for konasuba, in other news im eating my way through the front half of season 6 of inuyasha as i apparently hate myself more than i am willing to let my to watch pile keep growing.
Are you at least skipping the parts I told you to skip?

Slayers was magnificent (and you can't tell me that Megumin's EXPLOSION isn't a shout-out to Dragon Slave.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Uhm... Lina Inverse's main spell, featured in the first episode of Slayers. *grins*

Ah, then it's Megumin I haven't seen.
(also I didn't know that was the title of Lina's spell. I just know she starts off with "Dark <something> of Twilight..." and everyone scrams cuz they know what's coming)

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Ah, then it's Megumin I haven't seen.
(also I didn't know that was the title of her spell. I just know she starts off with "Dark <something> of Twilight..." and everyone scrams cuz they know what's coming)

--Patrick
She only knows how to cast 1 spell. She refuses to learn how to cast any other spell. Granted, it's one hell of a spell. But it uses every single stamina point, rendering her unconscious, so for the rest of the day she has to be carried.

ECK-SPUH-LOOOOOOH-ZUN!

Slayers was magnificent (and you can't tell me that Megumin's EXPLOSION isn't a shout-out to Dragon Slave.)

To this day, Slayers will always be my favorite anime. It was the very first one I ever saw and stars a sassy redhead, how can I go wrong?! (It was also the first anime I ever showed my daughter and she loves it as well.)

Also, it ended after Try. >.>

Why does it not suprise me that you're all about the Lina? *grins*

And the first time Megumin starts casting, she said something about "Darkness beyond twilight, crimson somethingorother..." I already knew what was coming, and grabbed my helmet. :D

GasBandit

Staff member
What order am I supposed to watch the various Monogatari serieses in? Instead of labelling them season 1, 2, etc like regular sane people would, they instead give them all variations of the name, like Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari and Monogatari Series Second Season (which I can't even be sure is supposed to be watched second) and Hanamonogatari and Tsukimonogatari and Kizumonogatari and Koyomimonogatari and...

How the fuck is anybody supposed to know what order to watch this in?[DOUBLEPOST=1497025584,1497025526][/DOUBLEPOST]Well, I guess if I'd googled just a little bit harder I would have found this. /facepalm[DOUBLEPOST=1497025687][/DOUBLEPOST]Jibbers crabst, this is even worse than Haruhi. Figuring out the proper watch order is like doing your taxes.

What order am I supposed to watch the various Monogatari serieses in? Instead of labelling them season 1, 2, etc like regular sane people would, they instead give them all variations of the name, like Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari and Monogatari Series Second Season (which I can't even be sure is supposed to be watched second) and Hanamonogatari and Tsukimonogatari and Kizumonogatari and Koyomimonogatari and...

How the fuck is anybody supposed to know what order to watch this in?
You watch in the order it aired, like Haruhi, by common sense and as outlined on this araragi thread:
Bakemonogatari: 15 episodes long, 5 arcs. [1st season]
Nisemonogatari: 11 episodes long, 2 arcs. [1st season]
Nekomonogatari:Kuro: 4 episodes long, 1 arc. [1st season]
Monogatari Series Second Season: 23 episodes long, 5 arcs. [2nd season]
Hanamonogatari: 5 episodes long, 1 arc. [2nd season]
Tsukimonogatari: 4 episodes long, 1 arc [3rd season]
Owarimonogatari (pt. 1): 12 episodes long, 4 arcs [3rd season]
Koyomimonogatari: 12 episodes long, 12 arcs. [3rd season, optional]
Kizumonogatari: 3 part film, 1 arc. [1st season]
Owarimonogatari (pt. 2): TBA, 3 arcs, [3rd season]
Edit: Damn these GasNinjas.

GasBandit

Staff member
You watch in the order it aired, like Haruhi, by common sense and as outlined on this araragi thread:
See, and I don't agree that you're supposed to watch Haruhi in the order it aired :p Broadcast order is confusing as fuck, especially for first time viewers. It forces the audience to watch that god-awful magic girl homebrew movie first with no context whatsoever - which doesn't even get filmed until season 2. Chronological order is better.

See, and I don't agree that you're supposed to watch Haruhi in the order it aired :p Broadcast order is confusing as fuck, especially for first time viewers. It forces the audience to watch that god-awful magic girl homebrew movie first with no context whatsoever - which doesn't even get filmed until season 2. Chronological order is better.