[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

fade

Staff member
Well I finished Nabari no Ou. That was the least satisfying antagonist defeat I've ever seen.

If you don't plan to watch it, the badass boss goes down in one hit from his own conflicted trained killer after he taunts him about being conflicted. This is a twist that absolutely everyone saw coming, except I didn't expect him to one-shot the bad guy.

Though... I don't know if there's a season 2. The other big reveal was that the antagonist's ninja village secret art was a duplication technique, so I won't be surprised if that was just a duplicate.

GasBandit

Staff member
Eennnnghh...

Ruined.

Again.

Japan can't do anything right, when it comes to live action (that doesn't involve samurai or giant rubber monster costumes).

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah that looked weird. I'ma eat crow if its good, but that looked weird.
I tried to watch the live action Death Note. I barely made it all the way through.
I tried to watch the live action Ace Attorney. I didn't make it more than 20 minutes in.
I've been trying to watch Hero Yoshiko. It's got one or two really good gags per episode, buried in culture-specific stuff to which I can't relate.

I've been trying to watch Hero Yoshiko. It's got one or two really good gags per episode, buried in culture-specific stuff to which I can't relate.
They BEST Hero Yoshiko episodes are the ones where they just flat out recreate what would be episodes from other shows.
Melub's spell of the episode is usually pretty good too... especially when he gets something he's too dumb to realize would be DEADLY in the right hands.

I'm up to season 3 (And the Chosen Seven) and the show still holds up. It even got a Final Fantasy parody this season and the intro is a straight up recreation up high tension attacks from Dragon Quest Heroes.

Interview with TRIGGER animators/ Little Witch Academia creators Hiroyuki Imaishi and Yoh Yoshinari. Oh and Egoraptor is there too!

I tried to watch Black Blood Brothers, but I couldn't even make it through the first episode.
Good, show's a damn letdown, full of characters with powers that barely get explained. Also the series really tries to make you think that vampires being told to change their name to "black bloods" is a way of unifying the two races. YEAH-forcing a culture to take a name you made up instead of the classic name is a TOTAL unifier.

GasBandit

Staff member
The seiyuu who voices Aqua in Konosuba is fucking nails on a blackboard irritating. I think it's at least partially by design, but JIBBERS CRABST it makes me want to go back to only watching dubbed anime, even if that means I have to wait years to watch things, or miss out entirely on some.

The seiyuu who voices Aqua in Konosuba is fucking nails on a blackboard irritating. I think it's at least partially by design, but JIBBERS CRABST it makes me want to go back to only watching dubbed anime, even if that means I have to wait years to watch things, or miss out entirely on some.
Yeah, she's annoying, but like you said it is on purpose. So I can put up with it since her character is suppose to be an irritating brat.

fade

Staff member
Or hear the same 5 mediocre voice actors you've heard since Dragonball.

Or hear the same 5 mediocre voice actors you've heard since Dragonball.
depends, if its funimation, maybe,(depends which version of the dub because some of those people retired and only chris sabaat is still really active.) otherwise probably not.

There are only a handful of voice actors for anime dubs, and yeah, Sonny Strait's been pretty prolific and Monica Rial is in damn near everything. Sonny was also the voice of the "Tom" robot on Toonami.
lol, Sonny has always been krillian, but he was only ever TOM-1, while Steven Jay Blum is every other TOM.
as for Bulma, Monica is a replacement for Tiffany Vollmer the original voice actress. its the same thing NGE went through with the rebuild as most of the actors/actresses have long since moved on.

GasBandit

Staff member
lol, Sonny has always been krillian, but he was only ever TOM-1, while Steven Jay Blum is every other TOM.
as for Bulma, Monica is a replacement for Tiffany Vollmer the original voice actress. its the same thing NGE went through with the rebuild as most of the actors/actresses have long since moved on.
Yeah, I'm kinda nervous about Code Geass Season 3 having some of the same issues, but the fact that Inuyasha - The Final Chapter was able to scrape together most of the original cast gives me at least a little hope.

Yeah, I'm kinda nervous about Code Geass Season 3 having some of the same issues, but the fact that Inuyasha - The Final Chapter was able to scrape together most of the original cast gives me at least a little hope.
im not as worried, code geass is late 00' as such most of the talent is still around to record, NGE was mid 90's and such they had a hard time finding most of the actors since they were now in their 40's/50's/retired/dead.

GasBandit

Staff member
im not as worried, code geass is late 00'
Small nit, as it was 05-08, but, you do realize though, that we are in the late '10s now. Code Geass was 10 years ago. They might not be dead, but they also might not be in the biz. Inuyasha was 00-04, and Final Act was only 5 years later, and even then they couldn't get Kagome's voice actress back. The female damn lead. Arguably more protagonist than the show's namesake.

If Bandai can't scrape together all the english voices, though, I hope the one they can't get is Nunnally. Because when she opened her mouth I wanted her to die. Almost every time.

Small nit, as it was 05-08, but, you do realize though, that we are in the late '10s now. Code Geass was 10 years ago. They might not be dead, but they also might not be in the biz. Inuyasha was 00-04, and Final Act was only 5 years later, and even then they couldn't get Kagome's voice actress back. The female damn lead. Arguably more protagonist than the show's namesake.

If Bandai can't scrape together all the english voices, though, I hope the one they can't get is Nunnally. Because when she opened her mouth I wanted her to die. Almost every time.
What im getting at was it was something like 20 years from first dub to eva 1.11. But you argument is fair. Keep in mind its funi thats likely to get the license. So i have hope.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

fade

Staff member
My biggest problem isn't that they are in so many dubs, though. It's that they're not very good actors.

My biggest problem isn't that they are in so many dubs, though. It's that they're not very good actors.
Ive been pleased with recent dubs. However i know ive run into some serious stinkers in the past that were not so bad is so terribly done it seemed like no one was trying. Mystical ninja goemon was the most paindul thing i ever watched.

I am also really interested to see peoples takes that dont default to the tried and true argument points od glorius nippon and its how it was meant to be watched.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I generally hate anime dubs. English and spanish. I prefer subtitles, preferably in english because is more concise (faster to read).

Some anime I prefer the dub (Slayers comes to mind), sometimes I prefer the sub solely because I hate the dub voice actors. Most of the time I'll watch the dub but turn on subtitles as well, just to see the difference in translation.

fade

Staff member
Yeah I don't care about the language or purity or what not. It's more that the dub actors sound like they're putting on a high school play

And sometimes the dub actors are just put into the wrong role entirely. CASE IN POINT: Almost every dub actor Attack on Titan. There were plenty better actors for that character than Chris Sabat, look around.

i just finished the first half of assassination classroom s2 in dubbed form and sonny strait as kuro-sensai has been critically panned as shit in it, honestly I have loved the dub and it has had a lot of heart.

I watched the first 4 episodes of kill la kill in english and found it serviceable but not any better than the subs. it has been considered better than average.

its just weird sometimes.

GasBandit

Staff member
@Bones and @Yoshimickster and anyone else who wants to chime in..

What would you say Aaron Roberts' most well known role would be? I'm trying to help the local sci fi convention cut their spot. Aaron Disyuke is gonna be there, and I know his big break was as Alphonse Elric in FMA, but I don't know what to say for Aaron Roberts. Samuel in Fairy Tail maybe?

GasBandit

Staff member
That would probably be my pick, yes.
Works for me. At first I was gonna go with Hit from DB Super, but turns out he's only voicing Hit in Xenoverse 2.[DOUBLEPOST=1489791514,1489791131][/DOUBLEPOST](Though as I didn't really watch much Fairy Tail, my "Oh, THAT guy!" moment was his role as Archangel Michael in High School DxD. Which I'm sure will be chuckleworthy to 3 or 4 of you).

fade

Staff member
I liked high school dxd if for nothing else because the protagonist was actually sexual interested in his harem instead of pretending he wasn't.