[News] The USA Police State will never satisfy its lust for beating, gassing, and imprisoning minorities

NYTimes: 2 Police Officers Are Charged in Assault of Mentally Ill Man
clippings from the article said:
Two former police officers in Nebraska were charged with assault after beating and using a Taser on a mentally ill man as they tried to take him into custody for “erratic behavior” in Omaha last month, an official said on Wednesday. The man later died.

Scotty Payne, a five-year veteran, faces charges of felony second-degree assault for repeatedly shocking the man, Zachary Bear-heels, 29, with a Taser on June 5. (..) Ryan McClarty, who has been on the force for two years, was charged with misdemeanor assault for punching Mr. Bear-heels (..).

The officers were fired Friday, after the Omaha Police Department investigated the episode.

GasBandit

Staff member
I wonder where the logical threshold is for being called a "veteran" policeman. It kinda seems like 5 years is not long enough. I'd say 7 or 8, minimum. When someone says "he's an X-year veteran of the force" my mind fills in double digit numbers for the X.

I wonder where the logical threshold is for being called a "veteran" policeman. It kinda seems like 5 years is not long enough. I'd say 7 or 8, minimum. When someone says "he's an X-year veteran of the force" my mind fills in double digit numbers for the X.
I have to admit, when I hear veteran of the force, I think someone who's at least 35+.

I have to admit, when I hear veteran of the force, I think someone who's at least 35+.
It's a very fluid term. "Veteran" teachers are teachers who have completed 5 years or more in the profession, and no one bats an eye at that. But like everyone else here, it seems to me 5 years is too little to earn the "veteran" label for police.

Last edited:
It's a very fluid term. "Veteran" teachers are teachers who have completed 5 years or more in the profession, and no one bats an eye at that. But like everyone else here, 5 years seems too little to earn the "veteran" label for police.
I think part of this is because we expect police officers to have "civilian life experience" on top of professional experience, because it ('s supposed to) aids in good judgement in the field, and this isn't something we'd require in a more academic field. Which probably explains the uptick in police dissatisfaction: lots of young ex-military guys in law enforcement post Iraq/Afghanistan who don't really have much experience with the greater public and don't want to.

Well... ONE of the reasons for police dissatisfaction anyway.

This probably belongs here.

WMC Action News 5 - Ismael Lopez's attorney: 'We think it was an execution'
Snippets from the article said:
The man killed by Southaven police officers was shot in the back of the head through his front door, according to his family's attorney.

(..) Wells also said the warrant for Pearman was not active until July 24.

"There was not an active warrant in effect on July 23. They were not, in fact, executing a warrant," he said.

A complaint was made about Pearman on July 23, but the warrant was not issued until July 24--one day after Lopez was shot.

(..) An autopsy report and official cause of death have not yet been released by the coroner's office.

(..) Southaven Mayor Darren Musselwhite released the following statement via Twitter on Friday:

Reason: Texas Cops Spent 11 Minutes Searching a Woman's Vagina, Found No Drugs

Charnesia Corley was a 21-year-old college student with no criminal record when two cops from the Harris County Sheriff's Office stopped her in June 2015 for running a red light.

After searching her car, police claimed to have found .02 ounces of marijuana. That was enough, they apparently felt, to justify a full-body cavity search. When Corley refused to remove her clothes in the dimly lit parking lot where she was being detained, one of the officers threw her to the ground, pushed her partially underneath her own car, and yanked Corley's pants down to her ankles. For the next 11 minutes, dash cam video of the incident shows, she was held down by two officers while being searched. Corley claims that fingers repeatedly probed her vagina and that the officers ignored her protests. A third officer stood nearby holding a flashlight. No drugs were found on Corley's person.

(..) Two of the officers who conducted the search, William Strong and Ronaldine Pierre, were indicted in June 2016 by a Harris County grand jury on charges of official oppression, but those charges were dropped last week.

(..) Police initially said Corley consented to the search, but they also charged her with resisting arrest and with possession of marijuana. Harris County prosecutors dropped the charges against Corley in August 2015 and issued a statement calling the search "offensive and shocking."

...and why weren't they charged with straight up rape? I'm sorry, if the dashcam shows it happened as told, that's not a body search. That's abuse.

AP: 2 ex-guards in KKK convicted of plot to kill black inmate

excerpt said:
A Columbia County jury found David Elliot Moran, 49, and Charles Thomas Newcomb, 45, guilty of conspiracy to commit first-degree murder.

(..) The murder plot started after a third guard and Klan member, Thomas Jordan Driver, 27, was bitten during a fight with the inmate, who they believed was infected with HIV and hepatitis. Driver pleaded guilty to the same charge in March and was sentenced to four years in prison.

(..) At the time of the murder conspiracy, Driver and Moran were guards at the Department of Corrections Reception and Medical Center in rural north Florida.

AJC - Cobb cop during traffic stop: ‘Remember, we only shoot black people’
A Cobb County police lieutenant has been moved to administrative duty for making what the department deemed were “inappropriate racial comments” during a traffic stop last year.

(..) [F]ootage shows a white female driver pulled over during a DUI traffic stop telling Abbott that she was scared to move her hands in order to get her cellphone because “I’ve just seen way too many videos of cops ... ”

At that point, she is cut off by Abbott.

“But you’re not black. Remember, we only shoot black people,” the police veteran of nearly three decades can be heard saying. “Yeah. We only kill black people, right? All the videos you’ve seen, have you seen the black people get killed?”

Dave

Staff member
I think he was probably being sarcastic and making a joke. A bad joke at an inopportune time, but a joke.