[News] The USA Police State will never satisfy its lust for beating, gassing, and imprisoning minorities

Charlie was always heaped abuse, even when he didn't deserve it. I think the dust-up with Jay was just a last straw.
I fully admit to crapping on him more than he deserved. But he made things unnecessarily personal with me far too often, so he didn't deserve any respect from me. Frankly speaking, he reaped what he sowed. If he was going to be a trolling jackass 80% of the time, why would any of us bother taking him seriously or show him any respect the other 20% of the time?

(I might be a little generous saying even 20%.)

Hell, you look at, say, Mathias. He's been a jackass at times. Hell, he'd be the first to admit it. But he at least knew when he went too far and apologized.

Not even the real N word, and even then, in the context of a movie quotation of Denzel Washington. It was entirely ridiculous.
Well, yeah, I mean, obviously we need to consider our own ethnicity and religion and sexual orientation before quoting movies. You can't just go around saying stuff that doesn't match who you are.

I mean, every time I want to say "that's a bingo" I have to find a Nazi to say it for me.

Allright kids, simmer down. Not having extreme political correctness /= cart blanche to say whatever you want with no consequences.

Sure, you could run around jamming that "do it faggot" image macro down my throat, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to give you hell for it.

Allright kids, simmer down. Not having extreme political correctness /= cart blanche to say whatever you want with no consequences.

Sure, you could run around jamming that "do it faggot" image macro down my throat, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to give you hell for it.

GasBandit

Staff member

But would you decry every last member of this forum as a racist/homophobe and stomp out of our lives, slamming the door behind you, when the macro was posted just ONCE and was not met with immediate universal condemnation?

But would you decry every last member of this forum as a racist/homophobe and stomp out of our lives, slamming the door behind you, when the macro was posted just ONCE and was not met with immediate universal condemnation?
Like the time I posted a thread about the Army-Navy game and he called them all mass murderers.

My point is that while Charlie's reaction was ridiculous, I'd caution against swinging the opposite direction and saying that all is permitted, any offense at all be damned. I think that's the issue in general. There's got to be a middle ground between Michael Richards' outburst and people being offended at simply everything.

My point is that while Charlie's reaction was ridiculous, I'd caution against swinging the opposite direction and saying that all is permitted, any offense at all be damned. I think that's the issue in general. There's got to be a middle ground between Michael Richards' outburst and people being offended at simply everything.
Trump vs modern day college campus students? :p

Thing is, if Jay had even meant it the way Charlie took it ... it still wouldn't be the most racist thing Jay has said, and we got on him for it. He didn't care, thus, no point in doing so later. So I don't get why Charlie chose this particular instance to react this way. Maybe he just doesn't like Koreans. Maybe he and Jay have some common ground.

Young black man jailed since April for alleged $5 theft found dead in cell

Meanwhile in Authoritarian China,

After police found a man drinking and driving his mother kneeled in front of them and pleaded for leniency, so the police also kneeled in patience to explain it to her. This driver and his mother kneeled and begged the police, tried grabbing the officers’ legs while lying on the ground, and attempted to get hit by scooters all in order to avoid the penalty. The police still stuck to their punishment and explained to her how dangerous it is to drive after drinking.
Oh wait, that's not bad at all.

The funny thing is, you might expect stuff like that from an Authoritarian country. Yet we have more people in jail in Freedom country than China does.

Really? I thought china was one of the few with more
In October 2013, the incarceration rate of the United States of America was the highest in the world, at 716 per 100,000 of the national population. While the United States represents about 4.4 percent of the world's population, it houses around 22 percent of the world's prisoners.[1]Corrections (which includes prisons, jails, probation, and parole) cost around $74 billion in 2007 according to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_incarceration_rate#cite_note-bjscosts2-3

GasBandit

Staff member
The chinese way is much more efficient. You're not incarcerated when you "disappear."

Also, I'm sure their reporting on such matters is entirely legit. Just like all the birth records of their gymnasts.

The chinese way is much more efficient. You're not incarcerated when you "disappear."

Also, I'm sure their reporting on such matters is entirely legit. Just like all the birth records of their gymnasts.
It's not 1970's Chainman Mao cultural revolution anymore Gas despite apparent attempts in the US to keep that image alive. My parents were literally terrified when I told them I wanted to go to China. Then my father visited me and changed his tune real quick.

Regardless, lets take China out of the picture and compare it to other places:

Even if China has a higher incarceration rate, it's still pretty damn appalling that ours is so high.

Thanks, Reagan. Maybe if he hadn't started the ridiculous "war on drugs" and closed down all the state run mental institutions we wouldn't have a prison system overrun with people serving time for non-violent crimes and people with untreated mental illness.

GasBandit

Staff member
Even if China has a higher incarceration rate, it's still pretty damn appalling that ours is so high.

Thanks, Reagan. Maybe if he hadn't started the ridiculous "war on drugs" and closed down all the state run mental institutions we wouldn't have a prison system overrun with people serving time for non-violent crimes and people with untreated mental illness.
We definitely do need to call off the "war on drugs." It's as dumb as prohibition, but on steroids - if you'll pardon the gag.

Does China's incarceration count reeducation camps? Also, I thought China had a higher capital punishment rate, which would also drive down imprisonment rates.

Nonetheless, that we even have to compare like this is disgusting.

Does China's incarceration count reeducation camps? Also, I thought China had a higher capital punishment rate, which would also drive down imprisonment rates.

Nonetheless, that we even have to compare like this is disgusting.
This has more data.

China is second in terns of total number of prisoners, behind the U.S., but the rate of incarceration is much lower with a high end of 172 per 100,000 vs the US figure of 707 per 100,000.