[News] The USA Police State will never satisfy its lust for beating, gassing, and imprisoning minorities

I'll let the man speak for himself

I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and that when they fan in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress. I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that the present tension in the South is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the Negro passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with an its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured.

In your statement you assert that our actions, even though peaceful, must be condemned because they precipitate violence. But is this a logical assertion? Isn't this like condemning a robbed man because his possession of money precipitated the evil act of robbery? Isn't this like condemning Socrates because his unswerving commitment to truth and his philosophical inquiries precipitated the act by the misguided populace in which they made him drink hemlock? Isn't this like condemning Jesus because his unique God-consciousness and never-ceasing devotion to God's will precipitated the evil act of crucifixion? We must come to see that, as the federal courts have consistently affirmed, it is wrong to urge an individual to cease his efforts to gain his basic constitutional rights because the quest may precipitate violence. Society must protect the robbed and punish the robber.

I had also hoped that the white moderate would reject the myth concerning time in relation to the struggle for freedom. I have just received a letter from a white brother in Texas. He writes: "All Christians know that the colored people will receive equal rights eventually, but it is possible that you are in too great a religious hurry. It has taken Christianity almost two thousand years to accomplish what it has. The teachings of Christ take time to come to earth." Such an attitude stems from a tragic misconception of time, from the strangely rational notion that there is something in the very flow of time that will inevitably cure all ills. Actually, time itself is neutral; it can be used either destructively or constructively. More and more I feel that the people of ill will have used time much more effectively than have the people of good will. We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people. Human progress never rolls in on wheels of inevitability; it comes through the tireless efforts of men willing to be co-workers with God, and without this 'hard work, time itself becomes an ally of the forces of social stagnation. We must use time creatively, in the knowledge that the time is always ripe to do right. Now is the time to make real the promise of democracy and transform our pending national elegy into a creative psalm of brotherhood. Now is the time to lift our national policy from the quicksand of racial injustice to the solid rock of human dignity.
http://abacus.bates.edu/admin/offices/dos/mlk/letter.html

I see him, to continue the corrupt cops - black people - analogue, calling out for the "good cops" to speak up against the "bad cops" and not accepting "things are changing slowly, don't act against us". I don't see him saying "all cops are bad and we should condemn them all".

Yes, we all know, all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing. That doesn't mean good people who do nothing are evil people and should be treated as such.

good people who do nothing are evil people and should be treated as such.
To be fair, there are those people who really believe the "If you're not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem" mantra, and for them, good people doing nothing are evil. For them, there is no middle ground, and inaction is seen as tacit support.

--Patrick

Necronic

Staff member
I actually really like that speech, because it does accurately espouse the problem ofthe moderate, who wants better things but is unwilling to shake the status-quo to reach them. However I have to believe that there is a middle ground between the moderate and the Charlie's/Gas Bandits of the world.

Dave

Staff member
http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/2x0627/chicago_police_accused_of_running_a_domestic/

The Chicago police department operates an off-the-books interrogation compound, rendering Americans unable to be found by family or attorneys while locked inside what lawyers say is the domestic equivalent of a CIA black site.

The facility, a nondescript warehouse on Chicago’s west side known as Homan Square, has long been the scene of secretive work by special police units. Interviews with local attorneys and one protester who spent the better part of a day shackled in Homan Square describe operations that deny access to basic constitutional rights.
What. The. Fuck.

Why isn't this being screamed about from the highest mountaintops?

http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/2x0627/chicago_police_accused_of_running_a_domestic/

What. The. Fuck.

Why isn't this being screamed about from the highest mountaintops?

Who, exactly, do you think is going to do something about it? Do you think Obama will read this news and go, "MY GOD, I HAD NO IDEA?" If the NSA revelations from Snowden weren't enough for people to kick it into gear, this certainty won't. Instead we have NPH joke about it at the Oscars. That's the level of care we as a nation now give about the loss of our political and constitutional freedoms.

Ugly incident in Washington state. Police open fire on a man at a crowded intersection. He flees, only to be pursued by the police officers. He stops and turns, apparently trying to surrender, and is then gunned down by police officers. The justification for the use of force: he was throwing rocks and might have had a rock in his hand when he turned around. (PINAC, TIME)

oh yeah the Ferguson official justice department thing report came out and confirmed pretty much 90% of what I had been saying in this very thread, like how white supremacy systematically uses the police to steal money from the poor and black.

also of note were the hilarious run of blatantly shitty racist jokes that almost a dozen city officials (maybe police?) sent back and forth with absolutely no reprocussions

This nice article by Ta-Nahesi Coates http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/03/The-Gangsters-Of-Ferguson/386893/ along with the DoJ report say some of what I've been saying: the system is corrupt (fuck the police) more than the individual officers (fuck the POLICE)

Also the whole thing where racism and white supremacy isn't a guy with one tooth screaming "NIGGERS" on his porch at the clouds, it's

One should resist the urge to clutch pearls and carp about the "mean people" of Ferguson. Bigoted jokes are never really jokes at all, so much as a tool by which one sanctifies plunder. If black people in Ferguson are the 47 percent—a class of takers, of immoral reprobates, driving up crime while driving down quality of life—then why should they not be "the sources of revenue?" In this way a racist "joke" transfigures raw pillage into legal taxation. The "joke" is in fact an entire worldview that reveals that the agents of plunder, the police, are in fact not plundering anyone at all. They are just making sure the reprobates pay their fair share.
also a more eloquent version of "never EVER trust what the police say"

One necessary tool is suspicion and skepticism—the denial of the sort of the credit one generally grants officers of the state. When Darren Wilson shot Michael Brown there was little reason to credit his account, and several reasons to disbelieve it. The reason is not related to whether Michael Brown was "an angel" or not. The reasons are contained in a report rendered by the highest offices of the American government. Crediting the accounts of Ferguson's officers is a good way to enroll yourself in your own plunder and destruction.

Government, if its name means anything, must rise above those suspicions and that skepticism and seek out justice. And if it seeks to improve its name it must do much more—it must seek out the roots of the skepticism. The lack of faith among black people in Ferguson's governance, or in America's governance, is not something that should be bragged about. One cannot feel good about living under gangsters, and that is the reality of Ferguson right now.

The innocence of Darren Wilson does not change this fundamental fact. Indeed the focus on the deeds of alleged individual perpetrators, on perceived bad actors, obscures the broad systemic corruption which is really at the root. Darren Wilson is not the first gang member to be publicly accused of a crime he did not commit. But Darren Wilson was given the kind of due process that those of us who are often presumed to be gang members rarely enjoy. I do not favor lowering the standard of justice offered Officer Wilson. I favor raising the standard of justice offered to the rest of us.

please. say that again. but this time, say it slower.

Also, it's gonna be one hell of a mind twister when they realize that the Ferguson PD is the rule*, not the exception

*of rich white men

I wouldn't say rich. Most cops aren't.
I got the impression that he (Charlie) is portraying cops as the lackeys/enforcers of Rich White People, with their prime directive being to ensure that RWPs maintain their status by whatever means necessary so the RWPs don't have to get actual blood (or worse) on their hands.

--Patrick

I wonder what the countries that aren't ruled by rich old white men must be like. I bet it's pure utopia.
America is decent
Saudi Arabia might be nice if you're not a woman.
Japan is fine, I think.
South Korea is okay.

But I still prefer my Canada and its moderately well off white guys in charge.

America is decent
Saudi Arabia might be nice if you're not a woman.
Japan is fine, I think.
South Korea is okay.

But I still prefer my Canada and its moderately well off white guys in charge.

I was, as Krisken pointed out, being facetious. The truth is, this isn't a "old white man" problem. Look at Japan and S. Korea (places where I have experience, at least)--horrible gender inequalities and racism throughout both countries and education systems that add a nice heap of revisionist history to their 12 hour school days. Their elite is also every bit as slimy as anyone else's.

But it isn't awful. But then again, I don't think the US is awful either. I think it could use some improvement, for sure. A lot of improvement even. In fact, it might even be safe to say my overall opinion of the US took a bit of a dive after all my time abroad, but, and I'm not really sure how to say this...

The abuses in the system that are going on are predominately being done by white dudes, because thats who hold the majority of powerful positions in this country. Where I start veering off the path is the idea that if we, say, replaced them with people who weren't white, the problem would be solved. It wouldn't, and the evidence is in all the places in the world that are run by non-white populations who do the same things, oppress the same way and have the same forms of corruption. The Chinese government doesn't censor news because of old white men, the Japanese don't discriminate against Koreans (or, basically any Asian that isn't Japanese) because of old white men, and the Koreans didn't say the most horrible things about an elected mixed Korean/Filipino women because of old white men.

There's a surprising number of things that Liberals/Conservatives can agree on when it comes to abuses of power and defending certain freedoms from abuse if you simply start the conversation the right way. Heck, even Bill O'Reilly was apparently defending the DOJ on Ferguson including saying that it was "obvious" that blacks were being targeted by cops to fill the city's coffers. Most people are more than willing to agree on things when it comes to stopping these abuses.

I saw the facetiousness. I was adding to the joke. Well, trying to.

And I was also trying to suggest that Canada isn't really run by the rich. Well, not the super rich. Not since Paul Martin was PM anyway.

It doesn't matter if you're the youngest member of any state legislature. Doesn't matter that you're a girl. You're just parroting the Koch brothers' line. That barely makes you human. A chimp could be trained to press the button the masters want on command.

GasBandit

Staff member
And now from the other side of the coin -

Didn't hear about this one in the news, did ya?

This is deputy Scott Wood of the Wyandotte County Sheriff's Office (Kansas City, Kansas). Deputy Wood had finished his shift and stopped at a 7/11 before going home. While at the counter Deputy Wood was attacked from behind by three armed black men. They shot Deputy Wood at least seven times and robbed him and the store.

But there's good news. Despite being shot (to reiterate) at least 7 times with 14 holes in his body (entry and exit wounds) and counting, he's recovering.

http://fox4kc.com/2015/03/05/watch-...condition-of-wyco-deputy-shot-multiple-times/