[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

fade

Staff member
Last time they teamed up, it was super heart breaking. This series looks devastating. I'll still probably watch it though.
Seriously. Carrey's dramatic performances are honestly quite amazing. I wish he'd do more. Like Williams, the same energy that conveys his humor really sells his drama. Kind of makes me worried he's hiding some demons, too.

His face at 1:19...

I remember reading somewhere that comedic acting is so much harder than drama. Because you're not trying to just put on a great performance, but also make it funny. Which requires a whole different set of skills involving timing, tone, inflection, etc. Which is why many comedic actors turn out to be fantastic dramatic actors. Tom Hanks, Bruce Willis, Jim Carey, Robin Williams. I'd even argue Will Ferrell, since I'm not a fan of his comedy, but Stranger Than Fiction is one of my all-time favourite movies. They all started in comedy but turned out to be so much better in dramatic roles.

Hell, Adam frigging Sandler proved this with Spanglish and Punch Drunk Love. I honestly wish we could see more serious stuff from him because he's phenomenal.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd even argue Will Ferrell, since I'm not a fan of his comedy, but Stranger Than Fiction is one of my all-time favourite movies.
I liked it too, on my second watch, but the first time I ruined it for myself because I kept reflexively expecting Will Ferrell to be funny, anticipating a great moment of released tension through comedy, and it never came.

I liked it too, on my second watch, but the first time I ruined it for myself because I kept reflexively expecting Will Ferrell to be funny, anticipating a great moment of released tension through comedy, and it never came.
To be fair, it's not a full-on drama and does have aspects of comedy in it. It's just that it's played more straight.

I remember reading somewhere that comedic acting is so much harder than drama. Because you're not trying to just put on a great performance, but also make it funny. Which requires a whole different set of skills involving timing, tone, inflection, etc. Which is why many comedic actors turn out to be fantastic dramatic actors. Tom Hanks, Bruce Willis, Jim Carey, Robin Williams. I'd even argue Will Ferrell, since I'm not a fan of his comedy, but Stranger Than Fiction is one of my all-time favourite movies. They all started in comedy but turned out to be so much better in dramatic roles.

Hell, Adam frigging Sandler proved this with Spanglish and Punch Drunk Love. I honestly wish we could see more serious stuff from him because he's phenomenal.
That's also why I admire Kevin Kline's Oscar performance so much (Otto in A Fish called Wanda), because he didn't get it for the usual handicapped slave role (hyperbole intented, also of course the Awards are not always that transparent).
And still he did not go full retard! ;)

fade

Staff member
Kevin Kline as Nick Bottom is one of my favorite interpretations of Midsummer Night's Dream. Changing nothing, they made Bottom the protagonist. A dreamer who gets one night of glory.

They got all the classic monsters of the Godzilla franchise

I saw Mothra, King Ghidorah, Rodan, the Big G of course...

and a Kenny.

For clarity's sake, please define which "first" you mean. There's a number of candidates.
The Legendary one. Filled with teases of monster attacks only to give one boring battle that you can barely see because it's night and everything's covered by smoke.

I didn't like the first trailer and the eyes, while source accurate, wigged me out but have sort of grown on me.

This one has definitely piqued my interest.

I read Good Omens a couple of months ago, and I think half my enjoyment came from hearing David Tennant's and Michael Sheen's voices in my head for all their dialogue. I'm looking forward to the series.
[