[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
I haven't seen the first movie, won't be at the second, and I say that to illustrate I have no stake in this. The first trailer for Kingsman 2 is a work of art in the craft of trailer-making. Easily some of the best editing a trailer has had this summer.

Can't watch the second right now, but I'm going to guess it's more a typical workmanlike movie trailer.
You ought to see the first movie, it's pretty good.

Ready Player One
I've read Ready Player One a few times despite thinking it's actually a pretty mediocre book, just an easy read. But, while reading it, I thought, this will make a damn interesting movie if done right and if you can find a way to get all those properties together. Then I hear Spielberg gets attached to direct and have been itching to see what he does. I don't expect anything more than pure popcorn entertainment but that trailer sure sets that up at least.

Also The Iron Giant!

Last edited:
I thought the book was pandering nonsense and about as poorly written as possible. The writer, Cline, is a fucking teeeeerrrible writer.

Hopefully they fix that for the movie.

The writing I mean, there's no way the movie won't be pandering trash.

Oh shit, this trailer for Ready Player One is better and shows off more of the stuff in the movie.

I thought the book was pandering nonsense and about as poorly written as possible. The writer, Cline, is a fucking teeeeerrrible writer.
Ernest Cline got a low-to-mid 7 figures for his next book. Not the movie rights for his next book... just the book. And he's already sold the movie rights for Armada, which is already in production. RPO is currently #1 Best Seller on Amazon, a pretty impressive feat for a piece of genre fiction that isn't Young Adult. Clunky and amateur it might be, but to paraphrase Epic Rap Battles of History, if this game is about motherfucking money then Cline knows what he's doing.

But yeah... read Snow Crash instead. It's basically a better done version of this, without about half the nostalgia calories. Or if you want something you might not have heard of, Trouble and Her Friends is pretty damn good and so is Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:
Hah I was just writing that I'm currently reading Snow Crash and it's infinitely better.

Also I tried Armada too and that thing is a steaming pile of horseshit compared to RPO, which like I said, is pretty meh in it's own right and was obviously written to be turned into a screenplay.

Last edited:
Ernest Cline got a low-to-mid 7 figures for his next book. Not the movie rights for his next book... just the book. And he's already sold the movie rights for Armada, which is already in production. RPO is currently #1 Best Seller on Amazon, a pretty impressive feat for a piece of genre fiction that isn't Young Adult. Clunky and amateur it might be, but to paraphrase Epic Rap Battles of History, if this game is about motherfucking money then Cline knows what he's doing.

But yeah... read Snow Crash instead. It's basically a better done version of this, without about half the nostalgia calories. Or if you want something you might not have heard of, Trouble and Her Friends is pretty damn good and so is Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom.
Just because books are popular, doesn't mean that they're not terrible.

50 Shades of Gray, Twilight, etc all prove that point.

Just because books are popular, doesn't mean that they're not terrible.

50 Shades of Gray, Twilight, etc all prove that point.
I did say "clunky and amateur". I like the book and admit that it's basically popcorn. But, again, Ernest Cline is laughing to the bank and that's clearly what -he- wants.

fade

Staff member
I didn't care much for Ready Player One. The protagonist is a pretty textbook example of a Mary Sue, and the 80s references dominated any real plot.

You know, I didn't notice this about Ready Player One until yesterday when someone was watching the trailer at work yesterday. The musical theme that plays during the first "reveal" of the Oasis (0:26-1:04) sounded really familiar, and then I realized where I'd heard it before:

You're a sly one, Mr. Silvestri.

--Patrick

I'd also say to remember that books and movies don't necessarily need to be all that similar.

For example, The Hunt for Red October is a great book, and a great movie. But other than the BARE skeleton of the plot (russian sub with "mostly silent" drive tries to defect), they aren't similar. The start is different, the middle is different, the climax is different, etc. But they're BOTH good pieces of fiction, but not the same at all.

Conversely, I'm betting (though have no personal experience with it) that an OK book can be a great movie, under the same idea. Unfortunately what most of us have experience with is a great book and a shitty movie (Dune for instance). Most often (again, Dune) it's WORSE if the original author has too much influence, as they may know how to make a good/great book, but that doesn't always translate well to the screen.

Hell, Mark Millar's horrible comics were adapted into amazing movies. Kick-Ass 1 & 2, Kingsmen, Wanted.

They basically took the books and said, "Okay, we're gonna toss out all this shitty writing and blatantly offensive crap and make good movies out of them."

Hell, Mark Millar's horrible comics were adapted into amazing movies. Kick-Ass 1 & 2, Kingsmen, Wanted.

They basically took the books and said, "Okay, we're gonna toss out all this shitty writing and blatantly offensive crap and make good movies out of them."
Especially with Kick-Ass, which made it's point much better while not making every character an irredeemable psychopath or pervert. It's superior to the original in every way.

I never understood the "everyone's a douche" writing style that seems so prevalent lately.
A nihilist worldview justifies the extreme, glorified violence prevalent in such works. Basically, by making everything awful in their worlds, they don't have to explain why the police and government aren't doing anything to stop what is going on and allows the writer to explore the violent extremism of sociopaths and psychopaths without much interference from reality.

Basically, it's why the plot can even happen. At least in Batman comics, the reason for why guys like the Joker are running around basically boils down to "It would be wrong to execute someone legally insane" and "We're doing the best we can without turning Gotham into a police state".

figmentPez

Staff member
Aw, all the people here are so ready to agree that Snow Crash is better than Ready Player One. I was hoping to have to make them listen to Reason.

Yeah, it's silly. It seems like every writer is doing it. And they're all wankers.

*looks at Dilbert Pinkerton*

Well, bugger all.
You're working in certain tropes so the books kinda live or die on them. Plus, only Dil sees it as World of Jerks; the reader knows better.

But you can call yourself whatever you like :p.