[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

You know, the trailer, or teaser, whatever, I thought It (movie) was going to be a bit truer to the book. This one feels like they're really deviating from the source material. Time will tell if that's a good thing or not.

(Except for the pedo-sex. Always deviate from that.)[DOUBLEPOST=1501188094,1501188049][/DOUBLEPOST]
They made a show based on that movie, anyone know if it was good?
I remember my dad liked it. I saw bits and pieces, but not enough to tell you.

fade

Staff member
First time I saw District 9, I thought this is alien nation. Then I read much of the creative team was the same.

GasBandit

Staff member
First time I saw District 9, I thought this is alien nation.
I had a similar thought. "This is just Alien Nation with better effects and much more annoying accents."

South Africans sound like Dutch people with debilitating head colds. Drives me up the wall.

You know, the trailer, or teaser, whatever, I thought It (movie) was going to be a bit truer to the book. This one feels like they're really deviating from the source material. Time will tell if that's a good thing or not.
Haven't watched this new trailer yet, but it's kind of impossible to be true to that book. It's just too big, too much happens. One of the 1990 movie's flaws was trying to stuff too many scenes from the book without making them work as a story, so you get a lot of parts that don't work or don't make any sense. Best way to do an adaptation is to maintain the spirit of the source, and using its elements to tell a story that works in the new medium. Like, that conversation in the other trailer doesn't happen in the book IIRC, but that kind of back and forth with Eddie and Richie is true to the characters, even displaced by 30 years.[DOUBLEPOST=1501211113,1501210769][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay, now having watched this new trailer, I'm a little less psyched for the movie. I'm hoping that's just trailer flash that's making Pennywise look hyper and stupid.

A problem I'm seeing--Pennywise never went into their houses in the book. Stuff would happen because it was Derry, weird shit is in the walls, but he couldn't take them from where they lived with their parents. They had to be lured away. So it's odd seeing him pop up in Bill's basement, or in Beth's apartment. Changing that rule begs the question of why he would bother luring them at all.

I'm still going to see the movie, but this is a good reminder to keep my expectations in check.

Dave

Staff member
Fuck off, I didn't say media makes people do shit. I just think it's a shitty, tone deaf movie.

Angry white guy buys a gun and takes the law into his oooown hands. What a bad ass.
Because the police are incapable of doing anything.

You know, there's not a lot of accurate portrayals of cops in movies. I mean, cops in movies always fall under three basic types: corrupt, incompetent, or glorified. You seldom see cops as people just trying to do a job and having to put up with shit. Probably because it would be hard to make a movie about that. The best cop portrayal I've seen in a long time was the cop in Stranger Things. He's initially dismissive, but he doesn't rule out the evidence from his own eyes and investigates with an open mind.

GasBandit

Staff member
Fuck off, I didn't say media makes people do shit.
Just a more modern movie for the next George Zimmerman to idolize.
Here you are directly implying that this movie will be an influence on the next controversial shooting.

I just think it's a shitty, tone deaf movie.
You're entitled to your opinion. Me, I think it looks like a good popcorn flick to see with friends.

Angry white guy buys a gun and takes the law into his oooown hands. What a bad ass.
Is this your first movie trailer? John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis and oh yeah, Charles Bronson (among countless others) have been scratching this cinematic itch for decades upon decades. Sorry it triggers your phobia and need to make everything about grinding your political axe.

Dave

Staff member
I think he might be talking about the muddling between serious drama and light-hearted action flick in the same trailer. Like the sudden appearance of "Back in Black" was just off-putting and changed the tone of the trailer.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think he might be talking about the muddling between serious drama and light-hearted action flick in the same trailer. Like the sudden appearance of "Back in Black" was just off-putting and changed the tone of the trailer.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about how a black man is shot by a white man on screen, and how it's "tone deaf" because of current events meaning movies aren't allowed to portray such events as anything other than the worst racist hate crime imaginable.

Because that's what EVERYTHING is to Frank, the last couple years.

Not much in this world is as tone deaf as this. Jesus fucking Christ.

The trailer might be a bit tone deaf.

However, because this is Eli Roth, I'm willing to think maybe there's a deeper look than the trailer lets on. So that's a plus.

A minus would be Bruce Willis... he's no Charles Bronson.

GasBandit

Staff member
Guns will save the world, but cops are useless.
Because the police are incapable of doing anything.
When seconds matter, the cops are only minutes away.[DOUBLEPOST=1501791538,1501791271][/DOUBLEPOST]TBH I was going to post something snarky about how I saw that movie back when it was called Collateral Damage, but all the quasipolitical butthurt about its "tone deafness" immediately endeared it to me :p

I am impressed that it has taken them this long to remake Deathwish seeing as the original was released in '74.
Apparently, this remake has been a decade in the making. One of the folks attached to direct was Joe Carnahan, with his top choices for the lead being Liam Neeson or Frank Grillo.

Hell Deathwish 2 is possibly the first time the same shit happened to the same guy again in a sequel. Bronson was awesome in these.