[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

Watched the trailer earlier today, it looks like one of those “Inspired by…” kinds of movies. It also looks like the kind of movie that divides generations, as in “If you don’t get it, then you’re probably just too old, gramps!”

—Patrick

I would skip watching this trailer for Blue Beetle. It looks to be more full of spoilers than any trailer I've seen in a while.

Likely due to the Flash's poor performance at the box office.... kind of a "Seriously guys, this one will be good." kind of thing.

Likely due to the Flash's poor performance at the box office.... kind of a "Seriously guys, this one will be good." kind of thing.
If that's what they wanted to convey, I don't think they were successful. To me, this looks like an Iron Man knock-off B-movie, just with a higher CGI budget.

Wheel of Time, Season 2
(Release date: September 1, 2023)

I don't have any interest in the series, but I understand some on here watched the first season.

I hate watched the first season but it was so egregious I don't know if I can even consider watching the second, hate watching or no.

I never read the books and...I had a good time until the obvious effects of the pandemic production crunch and one of the lead actors quitting started to show.

I watched it. It was decent enough. I didn't care about the changes made to the original story to make things work better on TV. I liked it a lot better than the Shannara series

GasBandit

Staff member
Also I hate that Nynaeve is apparently pronounced "Nine Knave" and not "Nin ah vee" like I'd been pronouncing in my head for all those years of reading the books.

But that's not why I couldn't keep watching the series. >_<

It was like trying to watch Winter Dragon again, to me.

Dave

Staff member
As soon as Matt was a widowed man and they were all of diverse races when the WHOLE POINT is that Rand is different...I turned it off. So like, 20 seconds into that dreck.

As soon as Matt was a widowed man and they were all of diverse races when the WHOLE POINT is that Rand is different...I turned it off. So like, 20 seconds into that dreck.
Perrin not Mat.
Diversity was fine IMO
The actual issues to me were
Perrin starting off married wtf, Mat came off as insanely evil, Perrin was a pacifist for some reason which was the exact opposite of his character, who didn't want to fight but knew he had to, and the last episode with Rand wandering off to the Blight alone, people getting burned out in a circle, THE HORN OF VALERE JUST BEING IN THE THRONE ROOM, Nynaeve nearly dying and Egwene who cannot heal a bruise saving her life... I'm sure there's more but those are the ones that made me maddest.

Dave

Staff member
Diversity usually doesn't bother me. They are fictional characters so their race doesn't matter. In this specific case it does.

They needed to be all the same race, with the exception of Rand. They could have been asian and Rand black. They could have been Native American and Rand Hispanic. Doesn't matter. What DOES matter was that the village was very homogeneous and Rand was different. It's one of the major points of the series.

It's one of the major points of the series.
Admittedly it's been a long time since I read Wheel of Time, but I don't remember that being a key point at all. If anything it seems like being dramatically different, rather than just taller and with a maybe-unusual hair colour, would have made it a lot less impactful when the things that do make him different start being revealed?

Actually wait: wasn't it a big deal to him when he learned that he was adopted? And wouldn't that totally not work at all if he were a different race, rather than just subtly different?

GasBandit

Staff member
Maybe I blotted it out, too, but isn't there a thing where everybody just instantly knows they're Ta'Veren or something?

GasBandit

Staff member
Nah. They have to be told. UNless you're talking about that one magic lady who could see Ta'Veren.
I don't remember how it happened, but I do remember the Ta'Veren reveal in episode one was one of the things that made me stop watching.

Diversity usually doesn't bother me. They are fictional characters so their race doesn't matter. In this specific case it does.

They needed to be all the same race, with the exception of Rand. They could have been asian and Rand black. They could have been Native American and Rand Hispanic. Doesn't matter. What DOES matter was that the village was very homogeneous and Rand was different. It's one of the major points of the series.
Old man calls for racial homogeny in his media.

He was taller and had red hair, that was it. He didn't look dramatically different. And that was all attributed to Tam's wife having red hair.

Admittedly it's been a long time since I read Wheel of Time, but I don't remember that being a key point at all. If anything it seems like being dramatically different, rather than just taller and with a maybe-unusual hair colour, would have made it a lot less impactful when the things that do make him different start being revealed?

Actually wait: wasn't it a big deal to him when he learned that he was adopted? And wouldn't that totally not work at all if he were a different race, rather than just subtly different?
I actually starting reading the books recently (like, immediately after watching the series) because I hadn't read them since high school. That was my take, too. It wasn't like everyone in the village was all "Geeze, Rand, your mom was a whore, because you're clearly an Aielman. You're no son of Tam Al'Thor." It was more like "with that hair, you remind me of stories of the Aiel." It was a subtle difference, one that could easily have been coincidental. Nobody in the village really thought about it much, and it was only once he hit the wider world did he start getting regularly mistaken for an Aiel.

If he was of obviously different race (as in Dave's hypothetical examples) the books wouldn't have been able to play on the whole "I may not be the dragon, because the prophecy calls for an Aeil and I'm still not convinced I'm not Tam's son" for so long.

As for the ta'veren thing...there are 14 books here. Loial mentions it to Rand at the end of the first book. It's mentioned in the series at the cold open, and at the last episode. So, it doesn't bug me. The *biggest* change to the story, to me, was that any one of the four could be the dragon, whereas in the books, it was only Rand, and even then Moraine wasn't certain of it. But there were lots of minor changes to make the stories work on TV, and as I said, I was fine with them.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Can we stop with trailers that explain, in detail, the plot setup of the movie? Do we really need to know this much about villains, their motivation, and what they're trying to do to the heroes?

The Marvels trailer #1