[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

Not really a trailer just using viral marketing, albeit effectively, for the movie.

Making even me feel old now.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
20 seconds into the trailer, I said to myself, "Slow mo, dramatic panning shots, a solo voice singing a mournful song... someone's doing their best to emulate Zack Snyder."

And then "From director Zack Snyder" popped up and I was all like, "Oh."
"It was Seven Samurai in space, and a Star Wars movie was my original concept for it.” - interview with Empire online. The article also notes that "after initially releasing on Netflix in family-friendly cuts, will get harder-edged R-leaning versions too."

So, Snyder wanted to make a grim'n'gritty R-rated Star Wars.

Looks rad as hell.

Will probably be mind meltingly stupid.

I'll watch Stupid Dune by Zack Snyder I guess.

Oh fuck, story and written by him too. We running headlong into Sucker Punch levels of garbage.

"It was Seven Samurai in space, and a Star Wars movie was my original concept for it.” - interview with Empire online. The article also notes that "after initially releasing on Netflix in family-friendly cuts, will get harder-edged R-leaning versions too."

So, Snyder wanted to make a grim'n'gritty R-rated Star Wars.
He comes what, 40 years to late for that? Roger Corman already did that.

Watching the trailer I thought it's an anthology show. So many different set pieces.

Will this be a good movie? Probably not. But credit where it's due: visually it looks pretty dope.
Whatever his other (many) faults as a director are, Zack Snyder can shoot some absolutely stunning scenes. In fact, if you take a scene in isolation devoid of context, plot, characterisation, etc he's arguably the most talented director making movies today.

Just a shame movies are more than just a collection of scenes following each other.

Never gonna happen but I'd really love to see an actually talented director shoot most of a film & then bring Snyder in to do the cinematography on a select few critical scenes.

Whatever his other (many) faults as a director are, Zack Snyder can shoot some absolutely stunning scenes. In fact, if you take a scene in isolation devoid of context, plot, characterisation, etc he's arguably the most talented director making movies today.

Just a shame movies are more than just a collection of scenes following each other.

Never gonna happen but I'd really love to see an actually talented director shoot most of a film & then bring Snyder in to do the cinematography on a select few critical scenes.
I've been saying that for years: if Zack Snyder stuck to being just a cinematographer, he'd be amazing. His shots are often jaw-dropping gorgeous, like a painting, but they're surface level. There's little to no meaning to them within the context of the film. Pair him with a director who can make those shots actually mean somethin and get you to feel something, and it'd be a heck of a thing.

Zack Snyder's strength lies his roots: he can put together an amazing music video. But anything longer that a few minutes, and requires story, depth, plot, etc., and he's out of his comfort zone. I think that's why his trailers always look so good. If you only have to look at his work for short, quick cuts, it's good.

But he's still a one-trick pony with the goddam slo-mo action shots. There's a drinking game that will land you in the hospital.

Honestly, even though most of his movies are... bad, I do think Snyder is a good director. There are several reasons why he gets so much work, and they all kinda center around him just being an ok dude. As far as anyone can tell he's not a sex pest, he's never creeped on anyone, and he's also able to produce results on time when doing work for hire, and is notably easy to work with.

The fault of his movies being bad are mostly symptomatic of the film industry at large. He's willing to create a movie on their timeline, which can sometimes mean you have to start shooting without little things like a script. But he's a big nerd for the technical side of filmmaking and loves playing with new toys, which is why when one of the actors of one of his movies turns out to be a sex pest he has no problem shooting the whole thing again piece by piece to replace them.

I'd love to see a Snyder Cut of the Flash movie where Ezra Miller is replaced by Tig Notaro. Snyder would be willing to do it.