The Undisputed Unified Wrestling Thread

I don't know what it is, but it feels like WWE is starting to fire on all cylinders these days. Last week's show was phenomnal, kicking off several new storylines. This week had the great segment between Punk and Heyman, and then a fantastic main event in Orton/Bryan.

As far as the Divas go, I keep hoping and praying that maybe Kharma will come back. Likely'll never happen, but I can hope. Given AJ's very tiny size, it'd make for a fantastic visual at least between the two.

I was to busy watching Game 6 to watch more than the first hour of Raw. I'm glad they're continuing the excellence they started with last week. And AJ dressed up as Katelyn and making fun of her with Big E. was fantastic.

I don't know who in booking decided that every match needs offense from both wrestlers, but I want to hug them. It has made every match 2x as good as it was before, and amazingly enough it makes the the loser look strong, and the winner even stronger. Who would have thought it? </sarcasm>

Guys, NXT is really fantastic. It's truly amazing. It is worth every penny of my Hulu+ subscription. Lots of great young talent, great matches, William F'N Regal, Dusty Rhodes as the Commissioner. It is by far the best wrestling promotion in Orlando.

Zappit

Staff member
So apparently, Raw had a Cena/Ryback dark match. Three hours, and they couldn't fit that on the air...

Zappit

Staff member
Orton wins the Money in the Bank match. This is how they'll work in the heel turn he's been begging for, taking out John Cena and swiping the belt. Leaves room for Punk v. Brock, and sets up a crazed Daniel Bryan looking to avenge Kane. Just don't turn the Wyatt's into another Flock. Bryan's already got the beard for recruitment to the cult. They probably will put up RVD against Axel next for the IC title, since Rob's had some crazy matches for that belt before.

Sandow gets the other briefcase, possibly setting up a huge feud with Cody Rhodes. Ryback gets the win against Jericho, which sucks, because Jericho doesn't deserve to go out a jobber after being (and still is) one of the most entertaining guys they've ever had. It's Ryback and his repertoire of three moves that deserves to wash out.

Edit - Just read the results. Axel interfered and bashed Bryan with a chair. There's the next IC brawl.

More comments later, but I wanted to bring up that Y2J has stated that he doesn't mind and wants to job to young talent. He's accomplished pretty much everything he wants in wrestling, and looks to do his part in building up new talent. He doesn't want to subject the new guys to the same situation he experienced at WCW.

Zappit

Staff member
More comments later, but I wanted to bring up that Y2J has stated that he doesn't mind and wants to job to young talent. He's accomplished pretty much everything he wants in wrestling, and looks to do his part in building up new talent. He doesn't want to subject the new guys to the same situation he experienced at WCW.
That's...really decent of him. Gotta respect that.

Orton wins the Money in the Bank match. This is how they'll work in the heel turn he's been begging for, taking out John Cena and swiping the belt. Leaves room for Punk v. Brock, and sets up a crazed Daniel Bryan looking to avenge Kane. Just don't turn the Wyatt's into another Flock. Bryan's already got the beard for recruitment to the cult. They probably will put up RVD against Axel next for the IC title, since Rob's had some crazy matches for that belt before.

Sandow gets the other briefcase, possibly setting up a huge feud with Cody Rhodes. Ryback gets the win against Jericho, which sucks, because Jericho doesn't deserve to go out a jobber after being (and still is) one of the most entertaining guys they've ever had. It's Ryback and his repertoire of three moves that deserves to wash out.

Edit - Just read the results. Axel interfered and bashed Bryan with a chair. There's the next IC brawl.

I think the Axel thing had a lot more to do with the Punk/Heyman angle than it did Bryan. I doubt think Bryan'll be crossing paths with him unless it's to squash him like a bug.[DOUBLEPOST=1373869033][/DOUBLEPOST]http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/18444/more-on-wwes-big-2k14-announcement-inside-here

Also, The Ultimate Warrior will be working with WWE...sort of. He'll be featured in the upcoming game, WWE 2K14. Apparently, they're already talking of filming some promos for him and such. I doubt it'll be any more than this, much like when Macho Man did some promotional work for WWE All Stars.

Zappit

Staff member
The Ultimate Douchebag, eh? Sorry they're lowering themselves like that. I just remember the story Bret Hart told about him. A gravely ill Make a Wish kid was brought to a show and wanted to meet him. They only had a short time to be there. When he was informed, he got pissy and told them he'd do it later, going so far as to ignore them when he walked past. A bunch of the other guys met with the kid. When UW finally decided to spare a few minutes, they had already gone back to the hospital. They only asked for a few minutes of his time, and he couldn't even pay lip service.

That's...really decent of him. Gotta respect that.
Yea, doesn't make me like the match or the really bad build up to it, but it makes me respect the hell out of Jericho even more. All that being said I hate, hate, HATE what they've done to the Ryback Character. They've destroyed a perfectly good muscle monster character for what seems like nothing. If he had stayed the tough as nails beast he was when feuding with Punk and Cena, and got a clean win over Y2J that would have been something.

So MITB is one of the 3 PPVs I order, and it was mostly a pretty good show. The pre-show tag match really should have been on the card proper. Rollins, Raines, and the Usos put on a heck of a tag match, and I say this as a person who's not a fan of Tag Team matches in general (The hot tag is one of the worst/laziest easy spots in wrestling).

The WHC money in the bank ladder match was possibly the match of the night. I'm sad to see Rhodes Scholars destroyed, but I love that both of them are going to get pushed now. They pushed this as the up-an-comers match, and they delivered. Lots of great moments.

Brad Maddox, the heel trying to be a face. Done wonderfully, going for cheap pops that Mick Foley would think is to forced, praising Vickie Guerrero, and insulting the city without realizing it.

The Miz getting Paul Heyman ejected from the match was fantastic, as the result. Always nice when a match doesn't have to end a certain way just because the winner is a heel.

There was a Diva's Match. It was okay, not terrible.

Worst match of the night goes to Ryback and Chris Jericho. Terrible match, and a worse ending.
A QUICK ROLLUP!!!! YOU HAVE THE 291 LB RYBACK AND YOU DECIDE THE BEST WAY FOR A CLEAN WIN IS A FREAKIN ROLLUP!!!! utter garbage.

Dolph Ziggler and Alberto Del Rio put on a great technical match with and ending that did it's job of angering me, continuing the feud, and breaking up Team Rocket. I wanted nothing more out of the night than the chance to see Ziggler win back the WHC cleanly (well, maybe for Daniel Bryan to win the Briefcase). If the goal was to get me hungry to buy Summer Slam, well...it's probably going to happen.

Cena was, amazingly enough, able to hit the AA on paid tv Mark Henry. Don't get me wrong, I like John Cena, I get it he's strong. He's also capable of wrestling good matches. Maybe we can put him against someone who can also move around in the ring? Maybe a big star who, along with the audience, just itching for a heel turn. It will probably never happen ... oh. Okay then.

The (sigh) All-Star Money in the Bank Ladder Match (stupid name) was a good match. Fun to see RVD in this PG WWE throwing himself onto ladders every time he took a fall. It was like a blast from the past. Everybody was good in the match, and while it's not the result I would have liked to see, it should bring some change to the landscape which is a good thing.

Watch the end of Raw from this past Monday to learn what "over as fuck" sounds like.

Also Charlotte, daughter of Ric Flair, made her debut on this week's episode of NXT with her father in her corner. Oh, and she's pretty good.

I never realized how badly I wanted to see Daniel Bryan face John Cena for the WWE title until it was announced. I'm super-excited for Summer Slam.

The rest of the card seems a little weak, but I don't care.

That was an awesome PPV. Well, the two big main event matches were awesome. Everything else was so-so, but GODDAMN did the marquee matches deliver.

So SummerSlam was excellent. I usually just order MITB because SummerSlam normally just seems like yet another PPV, but this year I'm glad they selected Daniel Bryan/Cena as a main event because it got me to order what just might be my favorite PPV I've seen this year. They finally managed to get the "Biggest PPV of the Summer!" feel down, as it actually felt like the number 2 show they want it to be.

• Pre-show match was pretty good, although I'm finding that I'm not enjoying RVD as much as I used to. I particularly liked Shawn Michaels' comment after the finish that the problem with having Big men (Show and Mark Henry) as your backup at ringside is that they can't necessarily move across to the other side of the ring fast enough to help you, especially when your opponent has much smaller guys like Seth Rollins and Roman Reins.
  • Ring of Fire match was ok. Pretty much an inferno match without anyone being lit on fire. I love that it was a no DQ match because the ring is surrounded by fire. Fire designed to keep the other members of the Wyatt Family from interfering. Success! ...crap.
  • Damian Sandow vs Cody Rhodes was great. Solid back and forth, not much else to say it was a solid good match.
  • Alberto Del Rio vs Christian. Too guys who are great in the ring, but can't make me bother to care about either of them outside the ring. It was technically a good match, but I still can't watch Christian without wishing I could watch Edge instead, and Del Rio is at his best when he has a loud, chatty, charismatic opponent who can contrast how dull he is.
  • Natalya vs Brie Bella. This happened. Yay for having more diva matches, particularly ones that don't revolve around the title, but this was just a really awkward promotion for Total Diva's (which WWE does a really terrible job trying to cross-promote, but that's another post/thread). Natalya's music is just a big tease too.
  • CM Punk vs BrOCK lesNAR (Paul Heyman's Emphasis) in a no DQ match. If you still needed a compelling reason to watch SummerSlam 2013 and Daniel Bryan in the main event for the WWE title wasn't it (what's wrong with you?!) this was it. Match of the Night. By far the best Brock Lesnar match since he returned last year. CM Punk was as amazing as ever. Paul Heyman at ringside. No Curtis Axel. Brock Lesnar was exactly the beast you want to see him be, Punk (and everyone involved really) took advantage of the no DQ stipulation to do more than just hit someone with a chair or break a table.
  • AJ and Big E. Langston vs Dolph Ziggler and Katelyn happened. I should have liked this more than I did, but really it was your bathroom break match between Main Events (glad they learned their lesson from Wresltemania about this).
  • Daniel Bryan vs John Cena with special guest referee Triple H. Amazing match. Match of the Night. Both Cena and Bryan were in top form and brought their A game. Triple HHH was impartial and just melted into the background like a referee should. Wonderful back and forth match, with a finish that reminds me why I watch wrestling. Let me repeat that. The end of this match is everything I love and the reason I watch professional wrestling. That said...
  • The end of this pay-per-view is garbage. It makes me angry and I don't even want to talk about it. IF I was being rational I might say that it was sucessfull in that it made me hate HATE Randy Orton, and will have me tuning in to Raw to see the what happens next, but I'm NOT being rational and I hate Randy Orton in in stupid orange face. I HATE the finish with the heat of a million exploding suns.

Last edited:
CM Punk and Lesnar made it clear how fucking insane it was to have a year of HHH Lesnar before it.

I can see why they did what they did with Daniel Bryan and Randy Orton. With Cena out now you have a top babyface who has a top heel to chase.

We'll see how tonight plays out. HHH is now definately a heel, the fans may make Orton stay a heel or just go, well that's Randy for ya.

One thing I do not want is Evolution 2.0 to come out of this. We have enough heel factions as it is without diluting it even more.

Yeah, the last thing they need is HHH heatsucking the entire thing and trying to make it all about himself.

The wishful thinking of 2.0 is currently

HHH as the new Flair
Orton as the new HHH
Ryback as the new Batista
Barrett as the new Orton

The only thing I like about this is giving Barrett something to do.

Zappit

Staff member
Would love to see Bryan put a new DX together just to piss off HHH. They can't keep it as Bryan vs. Orton, HHH, Shield, and the McMahons. They're doing hit jobs with the Shield; seems like an easy way to put a team together that way. HHH gets his camera time, playing the Vince to Bryan's HHH. Torch passed and whatnot.

Segment from NXT with Renee Young, AJ Lee, and Bayley (who's just happy to be in the WWE). Their match was pretty good to.

Zappit

Staff member
So, all that buildup for Los Matadores...and if I'm not mistaken...it was Primo and Epico with a new gimmick? Sure looked like them, and moved like them.