The Super Dooper Canadian Thread (now with 47% more Canadian Bacon)

Dave

Staff member
People voting for Kids in the Hall are simply too young to remember how fucking amazing SCTV was. I mean, KITH was great, but it was nowhere close to the genius cast and comedy of SCTV.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think Red Green should have beaten Corner Gas, but otherwise I agree with how the comedy bracket is shaping up.

Now, I watched both SCTV *and* KITH, and it's damn hard to choose between them.

Though, I have to also concede that my memories of SCTV kind of smear together with my memories of Almost Live.

I like how the Heritage Minutes are absolutely destroying Body Break. Take that Hal and Joanne! You let us all down on The Amazing Race!!!
People voting for Kids in the Hall are simply too young to remember how fucking amazing SCTV was. I mean, KITH was great, but it was nowhere close to the genius cast and comedy of SCTV.
I'm with you Dave.

I'm also sad to see the Friendly Giant being beaten out by Mr. Dressup. I always found the latter annoying. I know people loved him, but I wasn't one of them.[DOUBLEPOST=1511195991,1511195960][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think Red Green should have beaten Corner Gas, but otherwise I agree with how the comedy bracket is shaping up.
Agreed. I think Red Green would have done better later.

I'm also sad to see the Friendly Giant being beaten out by Mr. Dressup. I always found the latter annoying. I know people loved him, but I wasn't one of them.
Aww. Of the two, I liked the giant better. Maybe Dressup is getting a boost from his later appearance on Fraggle Rock?[DOUBLEPOST=1511200319,1511200267][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hmmmm. Are Joanne McLeod and @Celt Z the same person?
View attachment 25968
Well, she IS standing next to a banana...

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Huh, I'm surprised you Americans have seen more of our TV than just SCTV and Red Green.
Oh, we get a lot of stuff from Canada. Back in the 90s I never missed an episode of Are You Afraid Of The Dark, and in the later 90s Red Green and Red Dwarf were back to back on my local PBS station. Fraggle Rock was a staple in the 80s.

GasBandit

Staff member
That reminds me of how I used to know someone from Canada, 15 to 20 years ago, who said I looked like Fred Penner.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you, I don't. At all.

Oh, we get a lot of stuff from Canada. Back in the 90s I never missed an episode of Are You Afraid Of The Dark, and in the later 90s Red Green and Red Dwarf were back to back on my local PBS station. Fraggle Rock was a staple in the 80s.
Oh, I know Red Green was huge on PBS. To the point where Red and Harold (in character) were the big money makers for the pledge drives.

It was also through PBS that I was able to watch Red Dwarf and various other Britcoms.

Hah!
I grew up across the river from Toronto. The CBC was my ticket to 20% more kids’ programming.

—Patrick
Do you mean across the lake?

Or across the river from Windsor?[DOUBLEPOST=1511207519,1511207243][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh. Oh! Or were you making a subtle jab at the CBC being so Toronto-centric, it felt like you grew up just across the river from Hogtown, even though you lived in Tacoma?

No, I meant that I grew up just outside Detroit, which is right across the river from Toronto.

—Patrick
I mean, sure there's a river between Detroit and Toronto, but there's several hours of travel still once you cross that river.

It just seems like the same as saying Detroit's across the lake from Chicago.

I mean, sure there's a river between Detroit and Toronto, but there's several hours of travel still once you cross that river.

It just seems like the same as saying Detroit's across the lake from Chicago.
Sorry. I was confusing “Toronto” in my head with “Windsor” for some reason.

—Patrick

Ha ha. I think she has a few years on me, so probably not.

Note to self: HCGLNS may be on to our time travel device. Be sure to go to up to Canada to "neutralize" the situation....after you're done at the gym.
Oh ho! I knew it! You're just like how Tina Fey and Anna Kendrick are the same person but Tina traveled back in time after the incident and got trapped.

Hah!
I grew up across the river from Toronto. The CBC was my ticket to 20% more kids’ programming.
EDIT: Windsor, not Toronto.

—Patrick
Most importantly, The Raccoons.

Because I loved the fucking Raccoons growing up.

I grew up somewhere where my only channel was CBC.

Can you all imagine that? I had one option. It was CBC. Going to a friend's house to watch Star Trek TNG or having my aunts tape me different channels every Saturday was my only way into other programming. My dad had a problem with the guy who ran the cable up north at the time (before the enormous telecoms owned all the TV signals) so we had ultra peasant-vision. At least the peasant-vision in the cities had ITV (pre-Global) and CTV.

It's weird the guys is running 4 printers at a time to make these and cannot keep up with demand. My coworker was able to get one as he is an active member of the local 3D printing community.