The Super Dooper Canadian Thread (now with 47% more Canadian Bacon)

Canadian Orchestra fat-shames vocalists. They sent out an email to some singers who had performed with them in the past saying that not all of the featured vocalists they'd performed with in the past were "fit and slim" which they felt looked bad for their image. So in future only those singers who were thin enough (or could dress in a way to disgiuse their "temporary physical/dietary indulgences") would be considered to perform with them going forward. Although if you're just an instrumental musician they're not going to hold you to this same standard, because apparently you're just "background".

And when they get called out on this they blame media represantives with "miscontrued/malicous allegations and extremely negative/destructive/evil intent". Err, no. We've read your email. You made it clear you considered a womans physical appearance trumped her musical ability and you were quite rightly called out on it.

Actually @PatrThom a long time ago I could spoil these things for you. The hotel I worked at was the only one in the region with the capacity to host the Tim Hortons management convention; where they brought an entire store inside and prepared for the management samples of every special creation for the next year.

Boy that was a long sentence.

The shit-hawk flies no more.

Actor John Dunsworth best known as The Trailer Park Boys Mr. Lahey has passed away at 71.

For the most part, good lenders are doing this today and it's a good way to buffer the expected increase in rates over time. The actual financial impact of a +2% means test is about $300 a month on a $350,000 mortgage. I realize that this can appear a lot of money, but it will also put downwards pressure on prices as affordability decreases demand - presuming that some of the foreign-purchasing markets also continue to introduce foreign purchasing taxes.

For the most part, good lenders are doing this today and it's a good way to buffer the expected increase in rates over time. The actual financial impact of a +2% means test is about $300 a month on a $350,000 mortgage. I realize that this can appear a lot of money, but it will also put downwards pressure on prices as affordability decreases demand - presuming that some of the foreign-purchasing markets also continue to introduce foreign purchasing taxes.
You know that in the 3 biggest housing markets (bubbles) in the country (Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary) you can't get a shack for $350,000 right? Meanwhile, in Halifax, we have a wonderful house on a fair amount of land for in that range. I assume Winnipeg is similar Adam?

Also, I'm looking for a double-check that my guess as to what the article means is correct.

You know that in the 3 biggest housing markets (bubbles) in the country (Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary) you can't get a shack for $350,000 right? Meanwhile, in Halifax, we have a wonderful house on a fair amount of land for in that range. I assume Winnipeg is similar Adam?

Also, I'm looking for a double-check that my guess as to what the article means is correct.
You're absolutely right on both points. However, the long term result of these changes will be a much needed drop in home prices across the board. The 'bubbles' will be less impacted unfortunately because of foreign-ownership.

You're absolutely right on both points. However, the long term result of these changes will be a much needed drop in home prices across the board. The 'bubbles' will be less impacted unfortunately because of foreign-ownership.
I think Toronto (or Ontario) is now actively trying to reduce the impact of foreign buyers on the market. It boggles mind just how much the city's downtown has grown over the last 20 years. And still so many new towers are getting built.

Yay for Halifax and its surrounding areas!

The Toronto rock station has been playing nothing but the Tragically Hip all day. Is there another band as near-universally popular in Canada as them? Even before he was diagnosed and did his farewell tour, they've always felt like they've had a weird place in Canada (from my outsider perspective).