The Super Dooper Canadian Thread (now with 47% more Canadian Bacon)

Well now that you're in NS you can enjoy the semi annual visitors from Europe who got on a cheap flight to Sydney. When they arrive in Cape Breton and not Australia they giggle a bit.
Does anybody ever book a flight to London (from mainland Europe I mean, as GB people would recognize international flight or not) and wonder why they're flying over so much ocean? Ontario peeps, comments?

Does anybody ever book a flight to London (from mainland Europe I mean, as GB people would recognize international flight or not) and wonder why they're flying over so much ocean? Ontario peeps, comments?
Never heard of that. May help that Ontario's London doesn't have a decent international airport.

I wasn't even aware that the island Iqaluit is located upon was part of Nunavut.
I'm rather surprised that you even know of Nunavut. Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised. When it comes to Canadian geography Americans tend to know none of it.

I'm rather surprised that you even know of Nunavut. Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised. When it comes to Canadian geography Americans tend to know none of it.
1. PHWEEET! Two minutes for bad punning!

2. Dost thou remembrest for whom I root for amongst hockeyists? I do believe there was this young chap named "Tootoo" that once roamed the ice of Milwaukee and middle Tennessee.

I still hate West Jet but their pilot is pretty cool.

I travel Air Canada all the time and sadly am not surprised. They don't care at all about passengers once they get your money.

Wait, you mean first I find out that Canadians are responsible for the atrocity that is pineapple on pizza, and now you're telling me that they're making nasty knockoff pizza that's more expensive than the real deal? Dammit Canada, you're supposed to be the nice, sensible alternative to your neighbour, but now you're just the horrible pizza ruining monsters!

Wait, you mean first I find out that Canadians are responsible for the atrocity that is pineapple on pizza, and now you're telling me that they're making nasty knockoff pizza that's more expensive than the real deal? Dammit Canada, you're supposed to be the nice, sensible alternative to your neighbour, but now you're just the horrible pizza ruining monsters!
The seamy underbelly of Canada has been exposed.

I read the Reddit thread. I guess the case is already solved. Bad decision on the original owners' part and a lot of work and expense litigating the bootleggers.

To me, I feel like they should rebrand to something that can more easily be copyrighted and trademarked and make it abundantly clear who they are.

Subway vs CBC case goes to court: Subway files defamation suit against CBC over reports

This is in reference to an earlier report from CBC about percentage of "actual meat" in various products from various fast food. Short answer: everything's fine except for Subway Chicken, which is apparently only about 50% (or less) chicken, with the remainder being Soy. They were even extra-rigorous with the "that can't be right" and re-did the test with more samples, and still got the same result because it was such an outlier.

So everything else from mainstream fast food is what you expect (even at Subway), but stay away from their "Chicken" products.

Subway vs CBC case goes to court: Subway files defamation suit against CBC over reports

This is in reference to an earlier report from CBC about percentage of "actual meat" in various products from various fast food. Short answer: everything's fine except for Subway Chicken, which is apparently only about 50% (or less) chicken, with the remainder being Soy. They were even extra-rigorous with the "that can't be right" and re-did the test with more samples, and still got the same result because it was such an outlier.

So everything else from mainstream fast food is what you expect (even at Subway), but stay away from their "Chicken" products.
I'm following this with a keen interest because of the response back from the scientific community who looked at the findings are suggested that the methodology may have been incorrect leading to the high % of soy DNA returned. Apparently the tests count specific proteins which occur in much higher percentages per gram than in chicken. So you could have a pound of chicken with only a tablespoon of soy and come back with similar scores.

I'm following this with a keen interest because of the response back from the scientific community who looked at the findings are suggested that the methodology may have been incorrect leading to the high % of soy DNA returned. Apparently the tests count specific proteins which occur in much higher percentages per gram than in chicken. So you could have a pound of chicken with only a tablespoon of soy and come back with similar scores.
Sure, but they tested chicken from other fast food and didn't have this anomalous result, so if it was "McD's beef, Wendy's beef, Tacotime pork, and the only chicken test is of Subway" then that'd be a valid point, but given that they tested chicken (and other meats) from more than just Subway, why is theirs the only one to ring the Soy-high bell?

Sure, but they tested chicken from other fast food and didn't have this anomalous result, so if it was "McD's beef, Wendy's beef, Tacotime pork, and the only chicken test is of Subway" then that'd be a valid point, but given that they tested chicken (and other meats) from more than just Subway, why is theirs the only one to ring the Soy-high bell?
It could just be the supplier's process. Even CBC has walked back some of their claim: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/subway-defends-its-chicken-after-cbc-marketplace-report-1.4005268

While many media outlets took the results to mean that the chicken is only half chicken, the reality of DNA testing is slightly more nuanced.
DNA tests don't reveal an exact percentage of the amount of chicken in the whole piece, but DNA experts have told Marketplace that the testing is a good indicator of the proportion of animal and plant DNA in the product.