The Super Dooper Canadian Thread (now with 47% more Canadian Bacon)

"I'll be warm enough to survive with heavy woolen covering over body and head, when standing in front of a big-ass fire and with a lot of fat/fuel/alcohol around" does not mean it isn't cold ;)
My hoodie is an uninsulated cotton deal and my BBQ is not very big.

Also, yes.

It's only -3 today.

Compression base layers that are fleecy on the inside are great in cold weather. Don't need wool, the cheap synthetic stuff works fine.

Nah, it's been unusually warm. I'm literally having a BBQ for my birthday today (not my birthday today) and probably will only need a hoodie outdoors.
Usually it's in the teens (negative singles for °C) here in Michigan. Today it was 62°F (16°C).

--Patrick

I still can't get my daughter to wear a coat when it's -3(C), how cold can it really be?!

Also it's 45(F) today and my daughter is running around in a short sleeve shirt outside, as a point of reference.

I still can't get my daughter to wear a coat when it's -3(C), how cold can it really be?!

Also it's 45(F) today and my daughter is running around in a short sleeve shirt outside, as a point of reference.
I'm with your daughter on this one. It was -3 and snowing today, and I was outside in a blouse. No coat, no problem.

Just got back from Canada. Some thoughts:

Holy shit everything's so spread out compared to Taiwan.

How do you guys manage to function in temperatures like this? It went down to -17 Celsius when we were at Lake Louise. I was freezing my royal ramen-eating nay-nays off.

The Rockies covered in snow and pines is an awe-inspiring sight that everyone should experience at least once in their life.

Poutine is the food of the gods and I will devote great portions of my income to whatever restaurant is willing to and capable of introducing it to Taiwan.

Poutine is the food of the gods and I will devote great portions of my income to whatever restaurant is willing to and capable of introducing it to Taiwan.
IMO that's what you call a "business opportunity"... for YOU. It's probably terrifying, but start a business.

And if you want inspiration, see if these guys want to expand to east asia. You could become their first Taiwanese franchisee!

How do you guys manage to function in temperatures like this? It went down to -17 Celsius when we were at Lake Louise. I was freezing my royal ramen-eating nay-nays off.

The Rockies covered in snow and pines is an awe-inspiring sight that everyone should experience at least once in their life.

We're fat and wear layers

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Well, we are the second largest country in the world. We could fit Taiwan into one of our lakes (that we share with the US)

Also, I told you how we function in the cold.

That's the main thing people don't get about the widespread use of cars in Canada/US. We have so much unused space, and the places we do use tend to sprawl out everywhere instead of staying compact. Even our most "efficient" city areas would probably feel like sprawl to an Asian or European.

I had a huge shock as a kid when we moved from the suburbs here in Canada to London! I remembered being so shocked. I can only imagine our kids making the same move from where we are now in the woods.

It's hard comparing locals, because, obviously city center's going to be more crowded than the outdoors. That aside, though, Belgium's population density is higher than that of the highest-density state of the US, including all of our nature parks and whatnot. If you just look at Flanders it's even worse. Places I consider 'the middle of nowhere' are still only an hour's drive away - at most - from a largish town (50,000+ people) and at most two hours from a large city (1 million+).

It's hard comparing locals, because, obviously city center's going to be more crowded than the outdoors. That aside, though, Belgium's population density is higher than that of the highest-density state of the US, including all of our nature parks and whatnot. If you just look at Flanders it's even worse. Places I consider 'the middle of nowhere' are still only an hour's drive away - at most - from a largish town (50,000+ people) and at most two hours from a large city (1 million+).
Considering that according to google maps, it's 3 hours from one end of the COUNTRY to the other, I think it's even less time than that, unless there's some weird VERY winding road that's 40kph for 100km or something.

Add to that the fact that @Dirona and I lived for 2.5 years in a place that was 10 HOURS from a place over 50k people, and you have NO idea what the "middle of nowhere" is like Bubble. Nowhere in "mainland" Europe does. The Scandinavians (plus Finland, technically not the same thing) probably do though with their northern regions though.

Growing up in England, then moving to California, I had a similar culture shock. My bus ride to school was a minimum of 45 minutes.

GasBandit

Staff member
I remember one rafting trip back in Colorado, my Dad and I got paired up with a very athletic couple from... I forget, Germany? Switzerland? Something like that. But they were city folk, as I remember they were constantly agog at all the open space, scenery, and undeveloped land that rolled past as we rafted down the Arkansas river.

I remember one rafting trip back in Colorado, my Dad and I got paired up with a very athletic couple from... I forget, Germany? Switzerland? Something like that. But they were city folk, as I remember they were constantly agog at all the open space, scenery, and undeveloped land that rolled past as we rafted down the Arkansas river.
I am aghast. Is Marius in love at last? I've never seen him oooh and aaaah.

Considering that according to google maps, it's 3 hours from one end of the COUNTRY to the other, I think it's even less time than that, unless there's some weird VERY winding road that's 40kph for 100km or something.

Add to that the fact that @Dirona and I lived for 2.5 years in a place that was 10 HOURS from a place over 50k people, and you have NO idea what the "middle of nowhere" is like Bubble. Nowhere in "mainland" Europe does. The Scandinavians (plus Finland, technically not the same thing) probably do though with their northern regions though.
That's either "in the middle of the night" or "witohut traffic". The route mentioned would be about 4 hours, and yes, there's some parts not properly linked up to the highway network. Driving 50kph for an hour before reaching a highway isn't hard in either of the countries backwaters :p
But, indeed. People from the far West or East or Sotuh of our country think they live in "nowhere", but they're still far closer to a decent city than people in half of the USA.

GasBandit

Staff member
Come to Saskatchewn. I'll show you middle of nowhere.

Along with towns named Elbow, Eyebrow, and Moose Jaw.
Ladies and gentlemen, Tucumcari, New Mexico.

tucumcari.png

Last time I drove through there, the cell service, where there was any, was still 2g.