I'm not ready to call it a scam or anything like that, but their promises of payment and training schedule fall somewhere in the range of "too good to be true" and "confusing as heck".

Compiling a list of questions to send back to their HR guy, since the initial email seems very much like a form letter and opefully sending some questions will net a more personal reply.

I'm really hoping this one works out, but I'm sceptical so far.

Zappit

Staff member
Picked up the Dark Vengeance Warhammer 40K set today. Looks great, but it's missing the quick reference sheet that tells you the stats on all the models, which is kind of vital in order to play the game.

Any chance anyone else got that and would be willing to send me a scan?

Need an opinion: The kid has been harrassing the cat a lot lately. Hitting and kicking him, throwing pillows and the like at him, etc. I told him not to do it and gave him time out over it. He still kept at the cat.

Finally I decided to the cat take care of it. He did and Jet cried...and now I feel bad.

Was it wrong for me to just let the cat get him?

Maybe I'm an old school disciplinarian, but I think sometimes the only way somebody learns to stop doing something is to get hurt a few times doing it. Now he knows the consequences of not listening to you about the cat. He'll remember it fights back now.

No, it was not wrong. It was a life lesson. Guessing a couple of little scratches and a little fear? No big deal. He just might listen to Mom next time she tells him not to do something. Children learn best by personal experience not just words from a parent.

Cajungal

Staff member
Need an opinion: The kid has been harrassing the cat a lot lately. Hitting and kicking him, throwing pillows and the like at him, etc. I told him not to do it and gave him time out over it. He still kept at the cat.

Finally I decided to the cat take care of it. He did and Jet cried...and now I feel bad.

Nah. Now he knows why. You can explain that animals get scared and have to defend yhemselves. It'll really mean something now. Just keep the wound clean.

It would be a different story if it were a big dog or something.

Jet just learned there is a consequence to messing with the cat and that kitties, like Mommies, will only put up with behavior they don't like for so long.

In our home we call those "natural consequences". As long as he isn't in any real danger, then I think you did the right thing.

Zappit

Staff member
He needed to learn that harassing an animal could lead to that. Better a kitty teach it than a neighbor's large dog, right? He now knows that even though the animal loves him, it can still defend itself. No real damage done, and likely little real pain inflicted, but I'll bet he doesn't do that to another animal.

No. It's a useful lesson.

But keep an eye out to make sure that he doesn't plot revenge. Otherwise things could end up very bad for Jet or the cat. These household dominance struggles (and that's probably what it is) usually sort themselves out eventually.

--Patrick

Zappit

Staff member
Got an update. It does look like my grandfather does have cancer. The tests indicated early stage prostate cancer, which develops slowly and has a range of treatments available. It also appears localized, not metasticized. So...not great, but a hell of a lot better than where we were two days ago. They still need to test the lesions on his spine a bit more, but now it looks like he's got a serious fighting chance, thank God.

That's great news Zappit. My grandmother has been battling canver for three years...she was given 6 months to live and stuck it out this long!

Back to the cat for a moment: Thanks for the reassurance but Jet has not learner his lesson and now the cats ears go flat to his head when he sees Jet coming.

I guess I'll just have to wait. Jet has been terrible lately, rebellious almost. It's making toilet training a hateful experience. -_-

I'm about to hit the sack. At 9:30 PM. Spending half an hour to read and relax my eyes. This is in order to wake at 6:00 AM to prepare for school.

WHAT KIND OF INSANE CREATURE HAVE I BECOME?!!?!

Cajungal

Staff member
I'm about to hit the sack. At 9:30 PM. Spending half an hour to read and relax my eyes. This is in order to wake at 6:00 AM to prepare for school.

Welcome to my world. "Well, time for my warm milk so I can curl up with this book by a cognitive scientist and some lessons..."

Zappit

Staff member
These ads really friggin' target you based on what you post. I've gotten two prostate cancer ads in the last couple minutes.

I should test this. Peanut butter. Peanut butter. Peanut butter. Peanut butter. Peanut butter.

Dunno, but I wish I could be there. Scheduling conflicts preclude it, though.

--Patrick

I am feeling a combined feel of joy and emptiness because this one guy doesn't come to my school now. The emptiness is caused because I will never get the chance to win an argument with this schmuck. The joy is because this guy was an IDIOT who always acted like he was smarter than everyone else so I don't have to hear his bull-shit again. Also he was a stupid-ass. That's a smart-ass who doesn't actually know what he's talking about.

I'm about to spend the next month or so working 7 days a week. On the one hand, I need the money after my amazingly expense trip to Jiuzhaigou (not to mention a shiny new 17-55 lens). On the other hand--not a damn day off.

So...yay-bleh.

These ads really friggin' target you based on what you post. I've gotten two prostate cancer ads in the last couple minutes.

I should test this. Peanut butter. Peanut butter. Peanut butter. Peanut butter. Peanut butter.
Careful, I hear that if you say that into a mirror, this guy shows up.

Back to the cat for a moment: Thanks for the reassurance but Jet has not learner his lesson and now the cats ears go flat to his head when he sees Jet coming.

I guess I'll just have to wait. Jet has been terrible lately, rebellious almost. It's making toilet training a hateful experience. -_-
How old is Jet again? 3? My 3 year old has been an absolute nightmare lately... and since there's no cats/dogs in our household he torments his little brother instead (my poor little 10 month old). It's absolutely maddening. He buries the kid under blankets, pokes him in the eyes, barricades him in small spaces and of course headbutts the little one. I got so frustrated the other day that I headbutted him (lightly of course) after he headbutted the little guy. That seemed to stop the headbutting for a few days at least.

I won't even go into the hell that was toilet training for my 3 year old... all I can say is be strong and try to keep your cool as best you can.

GasBandit

Staff member
Pregnant lady at work just found out the gender of her child. How she chooses to disclose this to others:

"Hey guess what! I'm growing a penis."

I am amazed at how much I've managed to pack into the last 15 hours. The list is insane. I have more to do tomorrow, including turning the 2 flats of blackberries I bought at the local produce market into blackberry jam.

Pregnant lady at work just found out the gender of her child. How she chooses to disclose this to others:

"Hey guess what! I'm growing a penis."
That's kind of a dick move.[DOUBLEPOST=1347191654][/DOUBLEPOST]So...I kinda met a girl last night.

I mentioned on HalChat a few weeks ago that I created a rogue halfling for a D&D campaign a friend of mine was starting. I joined them for the first time last night. And there was this girl there who was just totally amazing. She had an awesome wit, was a fellow total nerd, laughed more whole-heartedly than I'd ever seen, and near the end of the night, was throwing puns right back at me with the same enthusiasm as myself.

So yeah, to say I was totally and completely twitterpatted would be an understatement.

So once I got home, I messaged one of my friends/other players on Facebook, asking whether this girl was single.

She is. :D

Not sure where to go from here just yet, but right now, I'm just reeling. I have her on Facebook now, as well, since I added her and the other person I met last night. I think the feeling might be mutual, given the way she interacted with me last night, but we'll have to see. At the very least, we have a funny story of how we met: my halfling slapped her orc in the ass to wake them up from giant, hypnotizing snakes. :p

Hmm. On the one hand, I'd say don't rush it (let it develop, don't burn the relationship out in the first 30 days). On the other, I realize there is that need to end the relationship dry spell. I'm just saying you might want to learn a bit about each other before you jump in headfirst.

Kati would like to add that if you're interested in any sort of long-term relationship, it's a good idea to not come off as being into her because she is "convenient" and "timely." Might want to chat each other up a bit online and let your brains get to know each other before you worry about introducing the rest of your bodies, so to speak.

--Patrick

See, it's interesting because that's the sort of thing I want to avoid, Patr/Kati. My last major relationship was sort of from that need, as well.

What's interesting, though, is that there was another girl I met recently: another student intern at the school I'm interning at. I've been driving her home at the end of the day just about all this week, so we've gotten to know each other. And I was trying to decide if I really liked her because she's a nice person (which she really is) or if it's because I'm tired of being single. We don't really have a lot in common and while we're friendly with each other, there isn't a lot of chemistry.

With this other girl, though, there was chemistry. In fact, it felt like it built throughout the night as we further gamed. At the end of the night, when I was getting ready to leave, I was talking to another friend about my student teaching and particular troubles I was having with one particular student. The girl seemed to be listening to the story very intently. Normally, that would just be, "Oh, they're listening to an interesting story about a struggling 5-year old," but with her, it felt...different. Like she was impressed that this guy she's listening to is teaching such young kids.

I'm strongly resisting the temptation to message her on FB today and invite her to a movie tonight with some friends (previously-made plans to see possibly The Expendables).

Just keep nerding it up with her, Nick. Eventually things will start to click, and she will show interest herself. Gotta love those cute nerdy girls! :thumbsup:

Gahhhh. *bangs his head* I keep wanting to private message her on Facebook, but just can't. For one, I still hate the idea of asking someone out online. Two, we just met. What the hell do you say to someone you literally met less than 24 hours ago?

DAMMIT, AND WHY CAN'T I STOP THINKING ABOUT HER?!