GasBandit

Staff member
Things I have learned today via ill conceived facebook posts: Big Bang Theory is serious biznezz.
Don't worry. Big Bang Theory is insufferable crap that wishes it was The IT Crowd.

The little woman loves it. I can't stand it. The best I can say about it is at least it isn't reality TV.

Don't worry. Big Bang Theory is insufferable crap that wishes it was The IT Crowd.

The little woman loves it. I can't stand it. The best I can say about it is at least it isn't reality TV.
I watched some recently..and found it kinda mean spirited. Like, I don't think comedies need to play nice...but there are no real jokes. The joke is "LOLNERDZ".

This opinion isn't shared.

BBT: It is a show I tend to like if I watch it, but not good enough for the DVR rotation.

The last 3 times that I've tried to watch it in Prime-Time it has been the same damn episode.

I like the Big Bang Theory... it usually gets a few laughs out of me and is one of the few TV shows I actually watch (actually, nowadays it's the only one I watch. Kids really hog your time).

I watched some recently..and found it kinda mean spirited. Like, I don't think comedies need to play nice...but there are no real jokes. The joke is "LOLNERDZ".

This opinion isn't shared.
It's shared by people who feel the same as you. Like me and Allen who is Quiet and that person who wrote the article he linked. People who don't identify as nerds have an easier time laughing at nerds. I imagine most people who are bullies feel their actions are justified.

I tell people that if the show was about a dude living across the hall from four ditzy women who liked to talk about shoes and shopping and so forth, or a white dude who lived across the hall from four black dudes eating fried chicken and stealing TVs, then they might still find it funny, unless they were female or black, respectively.

Nerds, like Canadians, are a group of people that it's still socially acceptable to make fun of. Which isn't something I take personally, really, but I sure as hell don't wanna support it.

Plus ultimately the show has no real jokes and isn't even really quotable. It's simply not good.

It's shared by people who feel the same as you. Like me and Allen who is Quiet and that person who wrote the article he linked. People who don't identify as nerds have an easier time laughing at nerds. I imagine most people who are bullies feel their actions are justified.

I tell people that if the show was about a dude living across the hall from four ditzy women who liked to talk about shoes and shopping and so forth, or a white dude who lived across the hall from four black dudes eating fried chicken and stealing TVs, then they might still find it funny, unless they were female or black, respectively.

Nerds, like Canadians, are a group of people that it's still socially acceptable to make fun of. Which isn't something I take personally, really, but I sure as hell don't wanna support it.

Plus ultimately the show has no real jokes and isn't even really quotable. It's simply not good.
I appreciate you guys bumping me up, I do...it just makes me sad because, outside of my sister, those guys ARE nerds. We game together, we watch anime and shoot the shit at comic book stores.

By the way, that other dude? JCM. :p

Well then all you can do is feel sorry for

a) their self-esteem, to not even know when they're being ridiculed; and
b) their lack of taste, since there are much better shows to watch.[DOUBLEPOST=1347489677][/DOUBLEPOST]
By the way, that other dude? JCM. :p
Yeah I know. Hasn't really changed my opinion of JCM. That dude's opinions were pretty divergent from mine.

Eh, I think Big Bang Theory is the usual dreck, but the rage over the 'nerd blackface' is a bit much. It's prime time comedy, pretty much everyone gets painted with the broadest of brushes. Good looking? You're vacuous and probably a whore. Sports fan? Violent mouthbreather. Rich? Shallow, snooty asshole. Southern? Well gosh darn y'all, ain't my sister's mouth purdy? Nerd? Hellooo, Poindexter! It's garbage, but it's also nothing new.

Eh, I think Big Bang Theory is the usual dreck, but the rage over the 'nerd blackface' is a bit much. It's prime time comedy, pretty much everyone gets painted with the broadest of brushes. Good looking? You're vacuous and probably a whore. Sports fan? Violent mouthbreather. Rich? Shallow, snooty asshole. Southern? Well gosh darn y'all, ain't my sister's mouth purdy? Nerd? Hellooo, Poindexter! It's garbage, but it's also nothing new.
I'm not saying that's shocking or that I'm offended. I just don't want to watch it, and a good part of the reason is because I feel it's making fun of me.

Well then all you can do is feel sorry for

a) their self-esteem, to not even know when they're being ridiculed;.
Or perhaps they're simply confident enough to laugh at it, even if it pokes fun at them. Like D&D players who enjoy Stephen Lynch's song. Not saying you should like it, but perhaps you shouldn't dismiss everyone that doesn't agree with you as people you should pity.

Hmmm... just received word from the Mexican animation studio I applied to. I hope this gig pays well, because the animation style they're asking for.... well it's not what I expected. I was told it was simple cut out, but it actually employs the same mix of puppet and tradigital as the place I finished with in July. Only the animation looks a whole lot better, so I'm a little afraid of what the workload is like.

Going to do their animation test tomorrow. :S here's hoping.

I'm not saying that's shocking or that I'm offended. I just don't want to watch it, and a good part of the reason is because I feel it's making fun of me.
Personally, all imho of course, I feel that if I cannot laugh at myself then I cannot laugh at others. I have my quirks and faults, and I can laugh when I do something totally goofy or that I know better than doing. I also have fun getting others to laugh around me, about the stuff they do.

I actually know people like those on BBT, so full of their own intelligence that they cannot see some of the common humor that follows them. I like these people, but they can be trying at times when they are looking at a much larger scene than the immediate area that they are in. There are times on BBT that the writers simply go for the cheap laugh, but there are also moments like the season finale this past spring when Howard was launching into orbit and all the couples on the show simply held hands as they watched it.

I'm not saying you have to like it, or even watch it, but I personally believe that it's better than many others shows on network right now.

Honestly, I think Sheldon is mean and self-centered which is unlike 99% of the "nerds" I know. That's one reason why I don't watch the show.
Sheldon is so far removed from "normal" life (early graduate from high school & college, then installed in research labs) that the only way he can function to a somewhat "normal" level is by hemming everything social into well-defined and rigid rules. I find him funny because he is so like a couple of people that I have known for years and they pretty much have to function the same way, rules and reason for everything.

In a difficult situation. I volunteered to read what I thought was someone's manuscript draft, meaning feedback would be taken into account. Now I see her book is coming out soon. Problem is... there are many problems. So at this point it's not even worth it for me to get in-depth.

I haven't watched BBT in a while but I always laughed at the physics and science jokes more than anything else in the show. They pepper them throughout and I always wonder how many of them go unnoticed. Probably not too many, since they layer that insufferable laugh track over everything.

I can't Penny in that show. While Gared is mean at least his lines are memorable. Shes nice to the other cast I guess but she just bores me as a female lead.

http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/post/31079561065/the-problem-with-the-big-bang-theory

I just don't like the show, and I couldn't really put my finger on why until I read this. Also there are no real jokes. Also there are better shows to watch.

Granted, it's not super offensive or super terrible. But it's not great, and something about it rubs me the wrong way.
I'm in the same boat... everyone tells me how great this show is and I just can't enjoy it and I don't know why other than knowing that the Sheldon character is annoying as fuck.

Not to mention how the geek references are so blinkin' obvious. Star Trek, DC, Marvel, Star Wars-MAKE FUN OF SOMETHING OBSCURE! These are supposed to be geeks ain't they?

http://butmyopinionisright.tumblr.com/post/31079561065/the-problem-with-the-big-bang-theory

I just don't like the show, and I couldn't really put my finger on why until I read this. Also there are no real jokes. Also there are better shows to watch.

Granted, it's not super offensive or super terrible. But it's not great, and something about it rubs me the wrong way.
Except that whole critique of the show is nearly completely off. You're not meant to see it from Penny's point of view and make fun of the nerds, if anything, they make fun of Penny's inability to follow along more than anythingelse. If someone is relating to Penny and watching that show.... well then you're probably not -getting it- anyway. Also, hearing it called -Nerd Blackface- is one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time.

If anything I find myself relating to Leonard in alot of ways, I have a close friend that is much like Sheldon and I've had friends like Howard (not so much Raj). So yeah, the show's funny because it finally DOES show the point of view from the -other side- even if a bit exaggerated.

I'm in the same boat... everyone tells me how great this show is and I just can't enjoy it and I don't know why other than knowing that the Sheldon character is annoying as fuck.
Same, same boat.

Show ain't good.

Watch better TV folks.

Not to mention how the geek references are so blinkin' obvious. Star Trek, DC, Marvel, Star Wars-MAKE FUN OF SOMETHING OBSCURE! These are supposed to be geeks ain't they?
Sorry, but..I don't feel this argument is..super valid. (And you sound like a hipster crying credentials for nerds and geeks to have, which is a discusision I have way to often and I feel is wrong..anyway..) Because you're seeing this show with the eyes of a nerd, the reference are obvious to you because, well, I'm assuming, you're a nerd/geek. But to most others, they aren't that obvious because they actually don't know much about DC, Marvel, Star Trek or Star wars.

My brother LOVES this show, he loves it so much I'm starting to hate it because he won't leave me alone about it. But, I can tell you that those references pretty much go over his head. He gets that it's supposed to be funny (cue laugh track) but he's not always sure why.

For me, this show is just that, a show. It's fun to watch, I enjoy the characters. And I enjoy them because I feel they're ramped up personalities of the way nerds kind of are sometimes. It's not always accurate, but it's all in good fun to me. But, I can also see why others don't like it. And that's just fine.
For me, though, I like it and will probably continue to buy the seasons when they come out. :)

"Hate" is strong. I tried watching it (and when I try watching something, I give it like a season and a half) and didn't much care for it, so I stopped watching it.

And I get really sick of the perennial "Do you like Big Bang Theory? You'd love it; you're a nerd." Especially from my parents. :(

Seems like Nerd Hipster disagreement validations.

-I don't like it because everyone tells me I should/that I should get it because I'm a nerd-

The show itself isn't to blame for how others treat it.

Same, same boat.

Show ain't good.

Watch better TV folks.
What other current gen sitcoms would you recommend?

Seems like Nerd Hipster disagreement validations.

-I don't like it because everyone tells me I should/that I should get it because I'm a nerd-
I'd agree with you if I hadn't specifically mentioned that I watch 1.5 seasons (of I think the 2.5 seasons that existed at the time) and didn't like it. I didn't like it for the reasons I listed before - that the jokes aren't really jokes, very few parts of it made me laugh, I don't like any of the characters, and the whole set-up feels uncomfortable to me.

SINCE THEN I'm getting more and more annoyed with people telling me I should love it because "I'm just like them!"

I wasn't just talking about you specifically, hence the reason I didn't quote you.
You have your opinion on it based on experience, and you're quite entitled to it. I simply disagree with your points due to my opinion being the opposite.

"Hate" is strong. I tried watching it (and when I try watching something, I give it like a season and a half) and didn't much care for it, so I stopped watching it.

And I get really sick of the perennial "Do you like Big Bang Theory? You'd love it; you're a nerd." Especially from my parents. :(
My response to this has typically been "No, it conflicts with Community, which is my favorite show."