Talking to co-workers again, huh? ;)

Anyway, I usually don't like the way my body looks. Sometimes when I manage you actually keep up a training regime for a while or something, I might look with a more sympathetic eye and see a positive change.

Quick informal poll: Do you guys like your own appearances and bodies? Like, when you look in the mirror, do you think, "Yeah, I'm hot," or do you think, "Damn, I'm ugly"?

I ask because I recently came across an individual who loves their body. Like, this person admires themself in the mirror before and after every shower. This is the first time I've ever encountered someone who thinks this way in real life, and I was actually briefly speechless. I mean, this person is definitely attractive, but in my experience it's exceedingly rare for anyone to think and say this about themselves.

So, if you're more towards the "Yeah I'm hot" end of the spectrum, give this a like, agree, or any other positive rating. If you're more towards the "I am ugly" end, give this a dislike, disagree, or any other negative rating. And if you don't really have an opinion on your appearance, and are simply thinking, "There goes bhamv being bhamv again", please feel free to hit "doing the thing again".
Self image is a hell of a thing.

I used to think I was ugly. Poor self image along with anxiety and depression. Being fat didn't help at all.

Now? Well, I'm still fat, but I actually feel pretty good about myself. In happy with my body, and sometimes when preparing for the day I'll check my hair or beard in the mirror and actually think hey, I turned out pretty handsome after all.

Of course this didn't happen until after I started treating my anxiety and depression... Could be a correlation there.

Self image is a hell of a thing.

I used to think I was ugly. Poor self image along with anxiety and depression. Being fat didn't help at all.

Now? Well, I'm still fat, but I actually feel pretty good about myself. In happy with my body, and sometimes when preparing for the day I'll check my hair or beard in the mirror and actually think hey, I turned out pretty handsome after all.

Of course this didn't happen until after I started treating my anxiety and depression... Could be a correlation there.
Definitely. I still don't particularly like my body, but back when I was in full-on depression mode I quite literally thought I looked like the yellow guy from Sin City.

Is there any option for a mixed bag? There are some things about me I think, "Okay, that's not bad. I can work with that", and there are other parts that make me go, "Ugh.".

Is there any option for a mixed bag? There are some things about me I think, "Okay, that's not bad. I can work with that", and there are other parts that make me go, "Ugh.".
I guess I'm in the same boat, I'm just lucky a lot of gals don't seem to mind fat guys

Last week while grocery shopping it was a little hard to get meat, but oddly enough there was still some vegan alternatives left. Tried the pulled pork (jackfruit). I'm not going to say it was bad, but I'm not going to say it was good, either. Had a real uncanny valley thing happening. Also, the packaging said the seeds are fine to eat; don't believe their lies.

So in like 1978 Jimmy Carter tried to get the metric system up and running in America. But a variety of really stupid reasons shut it down, while the rest of the world just got on with it. America seriously needs to join the rest of the world and drop this "Freedom Units" bullshit. Just take it slow guys and it will be fine, if you unilaterally decide to change over all at once it will be mass confusion.

figmentPez

Staff member

I remember eating at Ponderosa Steakhouse, Rax, Roy Rogers, Blimpie, and Bennigan's. Some others I've heard of.

There's probably going to be a lot more to add to this guy's blog, soon.

EDIT: I recognize even fewer from this set, but it's still fascinating:

I don't think I've eaten at a Maid Rite, but I know they were a big part of my mom's childhood in Iowa. I do remember Mister Donut.

As one of the resident fossils, I remember quite a few of them fondly. RIP Rax, Burger Chef, Garfields, Bonanza, Ponderosa, Western Sizzlin, and Mister Donut. Etc., etc.

Fun fact, that Sign of the Beefcarver (formerly Sign of the Beefeater) restaurant is about half a mile from my dad's house. It's still one of only two places where I've ever gotten food poisoning.
As one of the resident fossils, I remember quite a few of them fondly. RIP Rax, Burger Chef, Garfields, Bonanza, Ponderosa, Western Sizzlin, and Mister Donut. Etc., etc.
I miss Red Barn. And Sveden Haus. And Farrell's.
Also Frostop root beer is still available as a standalone product in some stores locally. I didn't realize it was originally from a chain.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Ponderosa Steakhouse used to have one still open south of Richmond, VA a few years ago...I stopped in once after taking my son to see his mom for visitation. But I guess it's closed, because it's not on Google Maps any more.

They use papaya extract to tenderize meat, and jesus it does a job. The 'steaks' looked like steaks, but all the connective tissue was so broken down it had no bite at all. It was almost like biting into steak-shaped oatmeal.

GasBandit

Staff member
There used to be a Ponderosa that I enjoyed frequenting near my Dad's house in Colorado Springs. It shut down something like 20 years ago, though. Ironically it was replaced by a Bennigan's, which also has long since closed. There was a Lone Star Steakhouse a little farther than that, but we never went there because it was overpriced and there were tastier places to get steak.

I haven't eaten at a Big Boy since I was a kid!

I didn't realize that Stuckeys was so endangered.

I remember seeing ads for Po Folks but never actually went to one. Him calling it a "poverty-themed restaurant" made me chortle.

We still have 3 in Michigan. I hit one a couple of years ago on a Boy Scout trip. Just got the buffet, but the hush puppies were super good. I'm a veggie, so obviously I didn't get a steak, but they smelled just like I remember them from 30 years ago.

I actually live just down the road from the York Steak House. I didn't know it was a chain at one point. I think we've still got a Lonestar here in Columbus too. We used to have a Big Boy down the street, near the York actually...

I actually have Rax stock from when it was still a chain? Got it from my grandmother, who got it from back when the original owner owned a Burger Chef and started Rax with local investors.

Dave

Staff member
In other news, did you guys know there is a massive locust plague happening in Africa and the Middle East right now? Any other year and this would be a top story.

In other news, did you guys know there is a massive locust plague happening in Africa and the Middle East right now?[/MEDIA]
Yes, but only because of the meme suggesting that the End Times are not being signaled by trumpets, but rather by "Trump/Pence."

--Patrick