Guys. I may have lost my mind this morning.

Out of frustration, I signed up for November's Half-marathon at Disney World.

I'm not a big runner. Sure, I do 5Ks from time to time without an issue, but this is more. A lot more. I may be in over my head.

When I die, speak well of me. Or bury my heart at Space Mountain.
Well, depending on when you get there, I might be there at the same time. My family is planning a trip to Disney World the first week of November. We haven't settled on dates yet though, just "the first week."

Well, depending on when you get there, I might be there at the same time. My family is planning a trip to Disney World the first week of November. We haven't settled on dates yet though, just "the first week."
Keep me posted! I'd love another Halforum meet-and -greet like @Sparhawk and I did last year. Right now I know I have to be there the 7th to pick up my runner stuff and obviously the 8th. Not sure what my schedule is going to be otherwise, yet!

Keep me posted! I'd love another Halforum meet-and -greet like @Sparhawk and I did last year. Right now I know I have to be there the 7th to pick up my runner stuff and obviously the 8th. Not sure what my schedule is going to be otherwise, yet!
I remember overhearing some of the racers saying they had to get on the bus as early as 3am to assure they were on time to the runs.

Yep, I've heard that. All part of the "fun".
We have different ideas of fun, I’ll gladly hit rope drop and stay to the last bus, but running to run, I could never get motivated for that. I used to play 2-3 games of soccer in a day, I can walk all day at the parks, but just running straight through... nope.
I am impressed that people can get out and just run, it really amazes me.

We have different ideas of fun, I’ll gladly hit rope drop and stay to the last bus, but running to run, I could never get motivated for that. I used to play 2-3 games of soccer in a day, I can walk all day at the parks, but just running straight through... nope.
And normally, I'd 100% agree with this, but this time... I guess I just want to see if I can do it. Like I said earlier, I've never been a runner, I usually prefer any other kind of cardio. I'm having a milestone birthday in June *cough*, so my present to myself is this instead of a party. I start training next week. I don't expect to have a great finishing time, I just want to survive.
The toughest part is I'm going to have to do this all by myself. The team I was supposed to be going down with to do the 5K, none of them made into any race. So the whole trip is going to be me alone. But I wanted to run Disney for so many years, I just have to psyche myself up and find a way!

Okay Squids, what did you disagree with?

I don't know why, but suddenly the billboards around town, on the highway, and on buses all suddenly seem to be trumpeting this or that radio station. My pet theory is that iHeartMedia is throwing down its last $20 on a blitz to try and beg regional people to listen before they're finally forced to go Internet-only.

--Patrick

My shrink recommended I do a sleep study a few months ago. Did the study in early Feb., got the results just recently.

I stopped breathing about 50x/hour (normal is less than 5), and got absolutely no REM sleep (normal is 20-25%)... sooooo, I'm now on a 1 month trial with a CPAP machine. While I don't love it (it feels weird), I have slept better and been more alert during the day for the past two days when I have used this machine than I have in years. Possibly decades.

I'm not particularly happy about having yet another chronic condition diagnosis, but I am pleased about actually sleeping.

Except for the expense and physical presence (and noise) of the machine, apnea is at least one of those sleep things you can pretty much completely treat, so probably one of the best outcomes, I guess.

--Patrick

Except for the expense and physical presence (and noise) of the machine, apnea is at least one of those sleep things you can pretty much completely treat, so probably one of the best outcomes, I guess.

--Patrick
I was super concerned about the sound the machine would make - I remember my grandfather's CPAP, and whooo! Was it noisy. Technology has improved a LOT, the machine is almost silent. It takes up a bit more space than my alarm clock, so it's much smaller than I remember his being.

But should I decide to purchase the machine... ya, it's not cheap.

FYI there are people working on a sort of “Open Source” version of the CPAP machine. And even if it never sees the light of day, it will probably still bring down the price of the “real“ ones.

—Patrick

I was super concerned about the sound the machine would make - I remember my grandfather's CPAP, and whooo! Was it noisy. Technology has improved a LOT, the machine is almost silent. It takes up a bit more space than my alarm clock, so it's much smaller than I remember his being.

But should I decide to purchase the machine... ya, it's not cheap.
My machine cost the exact amount my insurance would cover. An amazing coincidence!

There's a period of adjustment, yes, but the modern ones are really quiet. Unless you have a leak or the tube comes off, you can't even hear them as they operate.

Earthquakes, national strikes and now covid19. The technology department always saves the day. They cut my vacations and I need to go to work to help setting up how people will work from home.

fade

Staff member
I know I am not alone at all, but I have to admit that there is a part of me that gets excited every time something big and bad starts to happen. It's exciting and dangerous and disruptive. I fully understand that many people don't have the luxury to feel this way, and I mean no disrespect. It's not really a voluntary reaction, though.