I've been on a kick of watching sci-fi spaceship size comparison and schematic videos and such on Youtube and I never really grokked just how fucking awful the redesign of the Enterprise was for the JJ Abrams movies.
The Abrams Enterprise looks like it definitely does not skip leg day.

—Patrick

I'm gonna rant more about Star Trek ships here. The Galaxy is stupendously large. I know in the last picture I posted, side by side, the newer Sovereign class Enterprise E looks similar in size to the D. From above, you see just how stupidly large and how much space for daycares and gyms and shit the Galaxy class has. Also in shot is a modern aircraft carrier, which has a crew nearly 3 times the amount of the Enterprise D and 5 times the amount of the Enterpise E.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, but in starfleet, every ensign has to have a full multiroom suite with a massive picture window affording panoramic views of the stars whizzing by, remember.

Happy Leap Day! I remember last time we found a bug in our software that only manifests on the leap day so I vowed never to work again on February 29th.

Thankfully since this is a Saturday I had that taken care of for me.

I vowed never to work again on February 29th.
I request the DST changeover days off for the same reason.
When I used to work 3rd shift, I would always make sure to take my lunch at exactly 1:59a on the DST changeover days, just to avoid confusion.

—Patrick

the reality is chief o'brian probably would have been a commander and chief engineer like scotty if he had gotten a shot at the academy.
Strictly speaking, O'Brien is a Senior Chief Petty Officer; that means that anytime an officer isn't in the room, he's in charge unless a Master Chief shows up. As for in DS9... he's Chief Engineer of the station and that role gives him authority over basically everyone that isn't the Captain in regards to engineering matters. The only person he has to listen to in that regard is the active commander of the station.

Strictly speaking, O'Brien is a Senior Chief Petty Officer; that means that anytime an officer isn't in the room, he's in charge unless a Master Chief shows up. As for in DS9... he's Chief Engineer of the station and that role gives him authority over basically everyone that isn't the Captain in regards to engineering matters. The only person he has to listen to in that regard is the active commander of the station.
to be fair I think he basically only answers to Kira and Sisko in DS9, also sod should have gotten a promotion to master chief sometime in DS9 for all the shit he did!

Some cafes are good, some are pretty bad. For a general recommendation I agree with that list. McDonalds has genuinely good coffee in Canada.

Man, Billy Eichner played a loud annoying character in Parks & Rec and he was pretty funny since the character was loud and annoying. I didn't realize that was simply the only role he can play.