For the first half of this day I forgot my phones' PIN for some reason. I used the PIN for a year now with no problem. What the hell?

Dave

Staff member
Very nearly caused my university to go into lockdown today. I was walking to the elevators and there was a backpack just sitting by the garbage can. I looked in the men's room and there was nobody there. I had a lady check the lady's room and there was nobody there. So I went to the guard station about 50 feet away and asked them if they knew whose it was. They did not and were just on the phone with the police when the owner showed up and grabbed it. Turns out it was a couple of guys who were bringing food to a party downstairs and decided they couldn't carry everything.

So that would have been fun.

The fire panel at the front desk kept beeping for a trouble alert. The batteries for the panel battery backup were extremely hot and beginning to swell. Yeah, that's irony for you. The fire alarm panel starting a fire. After giving them room to breathe a bit, I got tired of the alert going off every couple of minutes and so I pointed a desk fan at them to keep them cool for the night. Did the trick for the rest of my shift, and maintenance did some other stuff during the day. The batteries are still bad, but the panel isn't beeping anymore.

Regardless of the fact that Schwarzenegger is built like...well, like Schwarzenegger, that absolute dickhead just thought it was a good idea to drop kick a 71 year old in the back with no warning.

Regardless of the fact that Schwarzenegger is built like...well, like Schwarzenegger, that absolute dickhead just thought it was a good idea to drop kick a 71 year old in the back with no warning.
It gets better - Ahnold apparently didn't realize he'd been kicked until he saw the video. He thought he was just jostled by the crowd until he saw security dragging the guy away.

Also, apparently dude broke his leg on landing.

Yup, Schwarzenegger so strong, he broke a dude's leg by getting jump kicked by it. That's some anime shit right there.

There's also the chance that the perp's leg got broken slightly after the landing, but this doesn't change that it was a direct result of his own stupidity.

--Patrick

My wife used to work at Michael's.
Her quote: "If you didn't leave work every day looking like a 14yr-old just coming home from her first rave, you must've been slackin'."

--Patrick

An Amber Alert comes up on our phones. A girl was apparently abducted in upstate AZ (read: that area that's over the top of the Valley's ridge) by a guy whom she has a restraining order against. They're pegged at going toward Vegas. Of course, they give a description and LPN of the car (Idaho plates - go figure).

And what do my wife and I do? Argue about the pronunciation of Audi. She says awe-dee. I pronounce it Ow-dee.

It is in this interchange that I discover where the pronunciation of the "u" in my last name comes from. The "ou" in Houk is pronounced exactly the same way as the "au" in Audi.

Wife might be ticked at me, but I've filed this away for future reference.

It is in this interchange that I discover where the pronunciation of the "u" in my last name comes from. The "ou" in Houk is pronounced exactly the same way as the "au" in Audi.
For what it's worth, this would most likely indicate a different origin, not the same one; in most languages other than English, diphthongs have consistent and singular pronunciations, such that they would always represent the "ow" sound with "au" and never with "ou". Of course with the number of names that were changed after immigration for whatever reason, it's impossible to say for sure.

GasBandit

Staff member
Been doing the A/V setup for a combination movie theater, grille, and bowling alley this week. Here's a couple pics of things that I thought were neat...

Spoilered for length

A 2k, 22000 lumen digital movie projector

JPEG_20190520_152904.jpg

The pinsetters behind the lanes

IMG_20190522_173502.jpg

IMG_20190522_173509.jpg

The rack with my AV controls, DSP, satellite receivers, amps, etc

JPEG_20190520_074024.jpg

The bowling

IMG_20190522_174707.jpg

The arcade (with ziplining)
IMG_20190522_174721.jpg

The bar/grille
IMG_20190522_174740.jpg

All in all it's got 19 input sources and 60 displays/projectors, 14 audio zones, and anything can be routed anywhere and adjusted via touch panel or computer.

Been a hell of a learning experience.

Edit
One more... The control interface
IMG_20190522_175617.jpg