GasBandit

Staff member
Video games are kinda meh, I have a board game tattoo as it represents the time I spent with my friends during a set period of my life. All my tattoos are like that though, symbolic of a time period in my life.
I wouldn't say I'm anti-tattoo or anything, but I have a hard time thinking of ANYTHING I'd want to permanently mark myself with, from any period of my life. I mean, even when I was with Pauline, I didn't want to tattoo her name on my body anywhere - and it turns out that was the right decision, now, wasn't it? Just kinda firms up my opinion on the matter.

I wouldn't say I'm anti-tattoo or anything, but I have a hard time thinking of ANYTHING I'd want to permanently mark myself with, from any period of my life. I mean, even when I was with Pauline, I didn't want to tattoo her name on my body anywhere - and it turns out that was the right decision, now, wasn't it? Just kinda firms up my opinion on the matter.
My simplest tattoo is my family initials with bars on top and bottom. I designed it myself in Excel and it always makes me smile when I notice it.

My tattoos are;

Scooby Doo; representing the 1st decade.
AC\20; "THE BIGGEST GUN IN THE GAME" of Battletech represents the second decade
The Celtic rose I drew for the first valentines day card I gave to @Squidleybits is the 3rd decade
My family initials are the fourth
My fifth will be the Scouting walk silhouette.

I mean, unless it has some specific meaning to oneself, why become a walking billboard? Otherwise it's like a dudebro getting a Monster energy drink tattoo.

That said, I can't argue against what LordRendar said, either. It's a sick design. You do you, man.

By the way you can buy temporary tattoo transfer printer paper. Might be an easy way to see walk around with it and see how you like it.

Only tattoo for a game I'd want is the Triforce from Zelda, and have for many years, BUUUT I don't want it for as much as it would cost to get.

I have a drawing by my little cousin that I would like to get as a tattoo someday though. It means a lot to me because she means a lot to me. But again ... expensive. But at least that I can justify more.

I’m on the other side I think here :)

I love Pikachu. I mean, I love that little guy. I have a baby Pikachu (sort of between Pichu and Pikachu) tattoo on my leg. He’s got big eyes and a cute oversized hat on backwards (I couldn’t pick what region’s hat I wanted). I went to get him touched up later to make him shiny colored :)

I don’t feel that every tattoo has to have a deep meaning. There’s nothing wrong with getting a tattoo because you like how it looks on you.

A friend of mine inspired me for a possible new tattoo: the wolf emblem from The Witcher 3. Maybe on my shoulder, above the bicep?

I don't know. I love the game, but do I love it enough to get a tattoo?
I know it was a rhetorical and you're not asking for advice, but I think there's something special about in the moment tattoos like that. Ten years from now maybe you won't like The Witcher all that much, but you'll still have the tattoo, and a link to a moment in time. And at the very least, it looks cool.

there is nothing I think I would want or need marked on my body, its just a none point, but if I could like display all the phrases that have stuck with me in my life that would be neat. when i was a teenager "The one who Bears his Fangs at God." from my twenties "I thought what i'd do is I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes or should I?" and from my thirties(so far) "I am a god of war, from my broken bow is born peace, from my rusted sword is born diplomacy, I exist only because men can not find common ground. I can never die, for only the dead may know the end of war."

figmentPez

Staff member
If anyone is looking for random crap, then check out defaultfile.name It's a site that will show you a random YouTube video that was uploaded with a default filename format many cameras use.

Reminds me of Found Photos, which did a similar thing with camera file names.

Most of the videos are pretty mundane, but then there's stuff like this:

In local news, my town's municipal building - police hq, town hall, etc - has a black mold infestation. Now, the other offices were moved two years ago, but the police have been forced to stay. They've had to resort to legal action for alternative measures to be made.

That alternative, as it turns out, is a trailer.

Our fucking police HQ is a trailer.

I’m late to the tattoo discussion but, just want to throw out my two cents - like others have said, I don’t think every tattoo has to have SIGNIFICANCE to you. If you like the design enough, I think you should go for it. As long as you enjoy the idea of it’s permanence, I would do it - even if you didn’t get it right now but waited and got it a few months down the road.

However, it’s your body, I fully support you doing what’s best for you, I don’t think anyone here can tell you that you should or shouldn’t, or what you would or wouldn’t like to be on your body. I know it was a rhetorical question but I’m kinda surprised at the amount of people here who outright said no? So. Just wanted to give another voice to camp Yes.

On one hand, of course it's his body and he's free to do with it as he wishes. Clearly and obviously.
On the other hand, despite the fact that it's a rhetorical question, people are interested and entitled to their opinion.
I imagine most of the "no" sayers are people who are afraid of regret, scared of the long term results; while the Witcher 3 is a cool game (and I really like the whole series and the IP), it will lose significance in the long run - it's not like Zelda or Mario a thing that will keep being redefined.
The "Yes" sayers are probably more (trying to be) accepting of past decisions - as long as you were happy with a decision when you made it, you live with the consequences and it'll always be a reminder of a specific "you" of a specific age and mental state. In that sense, something that's fairly closed off is even a better choice than something that will keep changing and evolving - maybe you'll hate what they do with Zelda after it gets turned int oa 3D fully voiced Holodeck dating sim with some raunchy sides, but you're still stuck with a tattoo of the logo on your body.

There are some types of tattoo I'd really argue against - such as participating in "Just tattoo of us" which is a horrible program and 85% of the people on it could be sterilized without any loss to humanity. Some are practically always OK - if your wife is a designer/artist and she draws a tattoo that incorporates the names of your children in a beautiful whole that also captures your number one passion, you can't really go wrong with that. The logo of TW3 is cool enough that, even without knowledge of the game, it's a nice thing to see; the game adds an extra layer and is also something interesting and inspiring. While I wouldn't put it on my body - because I'm very definitely in the long-term-thinking-negative-doubt-etc camp about putting anything permanent on your body - it's a cool tattoo and if he wants to get it, he definitely should. And if he's in doubt, he should hold off a bit and then do it :p

Also, this:

(the program is in Dutch, but the interesting bit is in English with Dutch subs)

I suppose but I’m opposed to the idea that just because the Witcher doesn’t fall into the culture camp or Zelda or Mario, that instantly devalues it?

The design, regardless of connotation will age amazing, in my opinion. Even if people, in the future (if he chooses to get it) don’t know the reference, they can still see it as a cool tattoo.

I’m sorry, this is pushing a button for me and I’m not sure where it’s coming from, but I disagree with a few sentiments that have been shared. Either way, I’m sure we all want him to do what makes him happiest! :heart:

And yes, I’ve seen ‘Just Tattoo Of Us’ - which skews opinion, to me, since the near sole purpose of the show is to see how bad of a tattoo someone will give. It’s very yikes. :/

But...There was exactly one person saying "no, don't do it" - Grue, jokingly, answering a rhetorical question. Otherwise, a few people said "I wouldn't do it because I can't think of anything I want permanently etched on my body" which is a...perfectly valid position? The conversation sounds kind of negative, but if you look at it, the general opinion ins, I think, positive.
Grue semi-jokingly said no. PatrThom said "be careful, if in doubt, try a temp first". Gas, me and Bones said "I personally wouldn't do it because I can't think of anything I consider important enough to display on my body, but you do what makes you happy". Rendar, HCGLNS, Squidley, you, Ravenpoe and Hailey are firmly in "yes". The only one being somewhat more negative is drifter, and even he says it's a sick design, but maybe try a temp first.
I understand it's an issue a lot of people seem to take very seriously and/or see as an attack on personal values really quickly, but...well, I assume ti's because they come from a place/area/family where tattoos were big nono's or something? Neither the discussion here, nor the world at large in modern parts of society is very negative towards it, especially in a fairly inoffensive spot like the shoulder/bicep.
If he was suggesting tattooing a big dildo right across his nose and forehead, I'd be offering slightly different advice.

I would put this in the whine thread, but it ended up being fine. We got to school to drop off my kids this morning and one of them didn't have shoes on. So, I ended up an hr late for work this morning. Luckily, I didn't have any major obligation first thing this morning. My kid said, "I didn't feel like wearing shoes." :facepalm:

But...There was exactly one person saying "no, don't do it" - Grue, jokingly, answering a rhetorical question. Otherwise, a few people said "I wouldn't do it because I can't think of anything I want permanently etched on my body" which is a...perfectly valid position? The conversation sounds kind of negative, but if you look at it, the general opinion ins, I think, positive.
Grue semi-jokingly said no. PatrThom said "be careful, if in doubt, try a temp first". Gas, me and Bones said "I personally wouldn't do it because I can't think of anything I consider important enough to display on my body, but you do what makes you happy". Rendar, HCGLNS, Squidley, you, Ravenpoe and Hailey are firmly in "yes". The only one being somewhat more negative is drifter, and even he says it's a sick design, but maybe try a temp first.
I understand it's an issue a lot of people seem to take very seriously and/or see as an attack on personal values really quickly, but...well, I assume ti's because they come from a place/area/family where tattoos were big nono's or something? Neither the discussion here, nor the world at large in modern parts of society is very negative towards it, especially in a fairly inoffensive spot like the shoulder/bicep.
If he was suggesting tattooing a big dildo right across his nose and forehead, I'd be offering slightly different advice.
Okay. :)

I would put this in the whine thread, but it ended up being fine. We got to school to drop off my kids this morning and one of them didn't have shoes on. So, I ended up an hr late for work this morning. Luckily, I didn't have any major obligation first thing this morning. My kid said, "I didn't feel like wearing shoes." :facepalm:
At least you don't have a kid who takes off their shoes on their way to or from school.

?

I don't give a fuck one way or another. If Gas wants to get tattooed with Angie Everhart and Christina Hendricks wrestling naked on his thighs, go for it. My tattoos are my business and mine alone, I thought I was expressing that.

If Dave wanted the halforums logo tattooed on the back of his head, I would chip in a couple of bucks for that though. Good mountain lion defense.

GasBandit

Staff member
I would DEFINITELY subsidize any HFer who wants to get the :Leyla:tattooed on themselves somewhere.

In fact, I might even be convinced that six of us get together in person and get matching ones, or something.

Yeah, I was jokingly saying no.

Well actually, I wasn't even really saying no. I was trying to imply that I can't see how anybody could love a game so much that they'd print it on their skin, but if the symbol (or the game itself) had meaning then I'd totally encourage it.

My apologies to Nick and Kags for coming off so negatively.