My cousin is a butcher and he makes a killing during deer season. He also works 12+ hr days to get it all done though. Good luck!
I've always wondered about this: are the guys you can get to skin/cut up your kills during hunting season just normal butchers doing seasonal work? We have a ton of them here in Columbus because of the White Tailed population.

It’s also untrue.

—Patrick
everyone is shocked to find out that killing your livestock in a fast, painless, and unknowning manner is good for business. I got my degree from a school that specialized in the education of those who produce your pork, chicken, and beef. Happy and well treated animals make tasty meat treats.

I remember hearing about a bison farm where the owner hired sharpshooters to drop animals selected for harvest instantly where they stood, so that they would die as blissfully unaware and stress-free as possible.

--Patrick

Temple Grandin made a career out of it (keeping animals stress-free before being slaughtered). Interesting story that lady has.

Went out with my daughter yesterday to pick out a birthstone ring for her 13th birthday. The first place we went to tried to get us to buy a $400 dollar ring. :rofl:
:rofl:

The next place we went to recognized that maybe we weren't looking to spend a bunch on a ring for a 13 year old, and actually asked what our budget was first.

figmentPez

Staff member
Last night I saw a GIF of a kid playing with a foam glider, and it reminded me of how much I loved the idea of those when I was a kid. The problem was that they didn't last very long before the foam got damaged enough that they couldn't stay together long enough to glide. Even with a lot of care and no major crashes, the foam at the joints would get compressed and become loose enough to just fall apart.

Made me wonder if anyone makes them out of a better material these days. A quick google search suggested they still make the same type of glider out of the exact same type of polystyrene foam, and then I lost interest because I there were a lot of other, pretty wild looking gliders in the results, and I was sleepy enough that I didn't want to get down the rabbit trail of expensive glider kits, and powered flight, and RC drones, and all the other types of flying toys.... and I'm not going to buy any of this myself, because I don't have anywhere to play with it, nor the boudless energy I had as a child.

I just want someone to tell me, "Yes, they make so much better foam gliders these days. Ones that you can throw around all afternoon, and they'll still fly great for a long time to come. They're not expensive, they can loop-the-loop, they don't need batteries or winding up, and they're everything you wanted a glider to be when you were a kid."

Dave

Staff member
We moved my mom yesterday - finally. It sucked but we knew we had to do it. The weird thing is that I recognized the place immediately. It's where my grandmother spent her last days. Basically these places you go to die. Sad but a fact of life. My mom's room...is two doors down from where my grandma passed. Not a hug-worthy thing, just a weird coincidence and was really weird to go there after 18 years or so.

Getting older and dealing with those things is fucking weird. I don't know why I thought I would be prepared for certain life moments. I sure wish there was a decent owner's manual out there.

Dave

Staff member
I'm sitting here at the computer and I hear a noise. I look up and there's...something...in my window looking in. As soon as I look it kinda scampers away. It didn't look like a dog or anything so I go running upstairs and out the front door. Turns out a wild turkey was pecking at my window!

I took a video of it, but I'm having a hard time getting it uploaded.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's been raining a lot lately, but I guess my furnace has been doing a good job dehumidifying the air, because every time I get home from work and my cat comes to get petted, it starts generating static electricity. I stroke from the head to the tail, and the next stroke, soon as I touch his ears, SNAP. I'm worried it'll discourage him from wanting headpats :/