I know I cannot speak for everyone, of course, but like the Starbucks cup situation, I have seen far more people talking about the "not all men" comments than I have actual "not all men" comments.
Then you clearly haven't looked.

I don't know what prompted the idea, but I'm thinking of looking into getting liposuction.

I've lost weight, to be sure, but I can't see to do anything about my love handles. And I'm just tired of them. I don't think I can get rid of them by natural means at this point.

I just e-mailed a clinic here in Halifax to, at the very least, sit down with them to discuss the procedure and of course, cost.

Given that it would be cosmetic, I doubt my health benefits would cover it at all. I'm kind of tempted to do a GoFundMe, like I did for Diomedes' surgery, but I don't know how well that would go over.

I don't think I can get rid of (love handles) by natural means at this point.
Well, you can, but it could mean reducing your body fat down to a ridiculously low (possibly unhealthy) percentage, and even though that would delete the subcutaneous fat, you would still have the excess abdominal skin (which would stick out less but which takes compression and additional time to recover).

That's assuming you were going for quick loss. If you're not, then continue working to stay fit and the activity plus the more positive mental attitude it generates should also bring them down...just not as quickly.

--Patrick

I don't know what prompted the idea, but I'm thinking of looking into getting liposuction.

I've lost weight, to be sure, but I can't see to do anything about my love handles. And I'm just tired of them. I don't think I can get rid of them by natural means at this point.

I just e-mailed a clinic here in Halifax to, at the very least, sit down with them to discuss the procedure and of course, cost.

Given that it would be cosmetic, I doubt my health benefits would cover it at all. I'm kind of tempted to do a GoFundMe, like I did for Diomedes' surgery, but I don't know how well that would go over.
I would encourage you to research the issue (I have not, so I cannot speak as to the science here), it sounds as though it may just be risking life and limb for a temporary benefit (caveat: female only studies):
A significant weight loss and BMI improvement were reported in 4 out of 5 studies with a mean follow-up of 1-2 months, but in none of the 5 studies with a longer follow-up (3-20 months). Fat mass showed a similar to weight change. The risk of bias was low for the two clinical trials but high for the observational studies included in the review. This systematic review revealed only a transient effect of abdominal lipectomy in body fat and weight in women, which fades a few months after the operation. These results corroborate the evidence from experimental and clinical studies, which support fat redistribution and compensatory fat growth, as a result of feedback mechanisms, triggered by fat removal.

Kinda like what Den says, above, the best method for losing belly fat is the dumbest, most trite drivel: Positive mental outlook, regular moderate exercise, learning to be comfortable with yourself, not eating diabetes-level amounts of sugar, reducing stress, etc. Also since you gain a little avoirdupois* as you age, you're never going to be able to get rid of all of it.

--Patrick
*(my wife's term for it)

Kinda like what Den says, above, the best method for losing belly fat is the dumbest, most trite drivel: Positive mental outlook, regular moderate exercise, learning to be comfortable with yourself, not eating diabetes-level amounts of sugar, reducing stress, etc. Also since you gain a little avoirdupois* as you age, you're never going to be able to get rid of all of it.

--Patrick
*(my wife's term for it)
You're not telling me anything I don't already know.

Dave

Staff member
Well, it was kinda slick in Omaha on Friday. A Southwest airline slid off the runway at the airport, which they then closed down. Here's the sound recording of that happening. Two things really stuck out to me. First, if I wasn't listening to the words I'd never be able to tell when it happened. Second, the air traffic controllers are working without pay right now.

Well, it was kinda slick in Omaha on Friday. A Southwest airline slid off the runway at the airport, which they then closed down. Here's the sound recording of that happening. Two things really stuck out to me. First, if I wasn't listening to the words I'd never be able to tell when it happened. Second, the air traffic controllers are working without pay right now.

If you're interested in other ATC content on YouTube, I highly recommend Kennedy Steve.

I'm becoming more convinced that my wife is s vampire of some kind. She looks like 25 in the picture I took on Saturday. I look like an oil painting.

Gonna throw some cold water here: do you think you can maintain after getting liposuction? In terms of net calories, you're going to have to stay around what would be necessary to lose them in the first place.

Also, have you even lost all the weight you've been trying to? Belly + love handles are the last to go (at least in my experience).

There was a woman on the Krewmembers forum many years ago who decided she needed to get a breast reduction, which, since it was considered a cosmetic procedure, was not covered either (she lives in Ontario). It cost her quite a bit of money. But since she didn't change her diet, increase her exercise, or alter her habits, she gained it all back within two years, rendering the entire procedure moot.

I mention that because I understand you're not happy about having love handles or stubborn belly fat. But I don't think surgery is going to do what you're looking for, and your current progress with exercise, yoga, etc, is probably more effective and more cost effective in the long run.

Honestly... I'm glad that I've managed to lose 15 pounds. I would settle for my old High School weight, which was STILL too much, but I gotta keeping going.

Honestly... I'm glad that I've managed to lose 15 pounds. I would settle for my old High School weight, which was STILL too much, but I gotta keeping going.
Same.

So this morning I got a friend request out of the blue from a girl that I dated very briefly (I mean, like, a couple weeks) more than a decade ago before breaking it off because the age difference was too great, and also she lied to me constantly and tried to pull a baby trap on me. She was 19, I was 26. She was seeing a few other guys while claiming they were ex's or "just friends". One day we were hanging out and she wanted to go further. I said no, I didn't have any condoms. She said it was okay, she had ovarian cysts and "was probably infertile". And I just knew the moment she said it that she was lying. So we didn't have sex. A few days later she pressed the issue again, and again I declined because she didn't really seem to want to have sex for the sake of having sex, it felt like she wanted it as leverage. So we broke it off. A week later she moved in with one of the "just friends", a 50 year old who lived with his grandmother and was in a band "that was this close to making it". (Narrator: It wasn't close to making it.) She popped out a kid less than a year later. I haven't seen or spoken to her in the dozen plus years since.

So getting that friend request on FB was like, "What the actual fuck?"

GasBandit

Staff member
Same.

So this morning I got a friend request out of the blue from a girl that I dated very briefly (I mean, like, a couple weeks) more than a decade ago before breaking it off because the age difference was too great, and also she lied to me constantly and tried to pull a baby trap on me. She was 19, I was 26. She was seeing a few other guys while claiming they were ex's or "just friends". One day we were hanging out and she wanted to go further. I said no, I didn't have any condoms. She said it was okay, she had ovarian cysts and "was probably infertile". And I just knew the moment she said it that she was lying. So we didn't have sex. A few days later she pressed the issue again, and again I declined because she didn't really seem to want to have sex for the sake of having sex, it felt like she wanted it as leverage. So we broke it off. A week later she moved in with one of the "just friends", a 50 year old who lived with his grandmother and was in a band "that was this close to making it". (Narrator: It wasn't close to making it.) She popped out a kid less than a year later. I haven't seen or spoken to her in the dozen plus years since.

So getting that friend request on FB was like, "What the actual fuck?"
You didn't just dodge a bullet, you dodged a rod from god.

Gonna throw some cold water here: do you think you can maintain after getting liposuction? In terms of net calories, you're going to have to stay around what would be necessary to lose them in the first place.
I've gained a few pounds in the last few months; back up to 200. But I don't know if that's because of one or all three of these things:

1) I haven't been as active since the summer. Been also feeling down a lot, partly because of the weather (can't really bike and definitely can't go do yoga at my rock I discovered over the summer).

2) I slacked off in the keto diet (still eating healthy for the most part, though). Like, I've been having Booster Juice instead of Subway salads, which are higher in sugar. But that's because the Booster Juice is closer and it's been fricking cold to walk over to Subway. Also been having popcorn almost every night after work (oil popped with coconut oil and some Becel).

I'm back on the keto diet as of today and will be cutting back or cutting out the popcorn.

3) I joined a gym and been doing more weight training, so I might have gained muscle mass.

But to answer your question, I think I can. Just by building more muscle, it'll burn more energy. It's just I need more control over my eating like I did last summer and fall. I'll need to consistently use the LoseIt app that counts calories (I know it's not an exact science, but it's a good guideline).

I think just feeling better about myself would help. These love handles have always been a great eye sore for me. I think it would help my self esteem. Plus, I doubt removing them would reduce my weight or fat percentage a huge amount. I'm overweight, to be sure, but not greatly so like some who do surgeries like this.

Nick, you are a magnificent beast just as you are. If you decide to get the surgery, I hope it helps your self-esteem. I really do. I just don't want you to get yourself into debt over something that might just be a temporary fix.

Neat!

If only I could trade you a Maine for a Utah or one of the Dakotas. :)
Just got Maine. Down to three left (NH, DE and RI - the tough ones).

As for the Dakotas - I see those pretty much at least twice a day. When, of course, I'm not seeing the BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba or Ontario plates.

So, question for those of you living in a colder climate than I do. When it's freezing (or likely to freeze), it's better to put the car in 1st than it is to just put it on the handbrake, because it won't freeze solid. Now, the downside is, that if you forget, your car's likely to make a bit of a jump forward when starting - which is not wanted behavior when parallel parked. So my GF asked "why not put it in 2nd, that way even if you forget, it won't jump but just stall right away?". And I can't really think of a good reason not to put it in 2nd, or 5th, or whatever. So why do we always say to put it in first?

3) I joined a gym and been doing more weight training, so I might have gained muscle mass.
Nick in 10 years:

Thanks for not bending over away from the camera, future Nick.
why do we always say to put it in first?
Because 1st requires the most effort at the wheels to turn the engine, making it harder for the car to move be moved.
If someone hits you while parked, though, it’s also a good way to ruin your transmission.
Also, most cars these days have an interlock that won’t let you crank the engine if it’s still in any gear, just like they don’t let you crank the engine unless the clutch is depressed.

—Patrick

Last edited:
This may sound crazy, but I'm going to try it.

Ten days ago, I started writing a project I've been wanting to do. Right now I'm at 24k words, which is record time for me (thanks, shutdown!)

I've got a schedule situated, to do a chapter each morning and evening starting tomorrow, and then finish the rest of the book this weekend now that I've outlined and storyboarded it tonight. Might be another 30k? It's all first draft, so what happens will happen. I've never done it like this before; usually it takes me months to do a first draft because I write complicated plots, lots of sub-plots, 450 pages monstrosities, but for this short, simple "kids vs monster" book, it's been straightforward.

Wish me luck, 'cause first shift starts in 5 and a half hours! :D

usually it takes me months to do a first draft because I write complicated plots, lots of sub-plots, 450 pages monstrosities,
Why, hello there, forum-GRRM...

In an unrelated note, does "Calculating the required budget for 2019" sound right to you usaians in english?

Last edited: