GasBandit

Staff member
I think the radio stations around me have completely given up. This morning the main only Top 40 station was broadcasting dead air between commercials and station cut-ins. A couple of months ago, one of the two Oldies stations broadcast dead air throughout their entire morning programming block on a Saturday. For the first hour or so, nothing played at all, but for the last couple of hours the station identifications, community events, and weather would run; but the latter two just had the announcement and then it went back to dead air. No one answered at the station, and the "24/7 request line" rang off the hook. That was the day that the 3%ers were blockading the state capital, so we just figured the DJ was up there with all his violent buddies. Two stations share the same live, local broadcasts, and just pump in the big talent from LA or NY or wherever the hell those things come from these days, and every time they go somewhere to do a live broadcast, any of the times they're supposed to be "sent back to the studio," they broadcast dead air, because they can't get the feeds to interface correctly.

Now I really, really understand why Satellite radio exists.
If it's anything like where I used to work, the owner fired all but one local talent, and is only contracting an engineer part time, so when shit goes wrong, it stays broken for a long time. It sounds to me like the station you describe is already just rebroadcasting a satellite feed, and they can't figure out how to get the automation to work right.

Terrestrial radio as an industry is just dying in general. (Which is why I'm not in it any more)

My Grandmother passed away this morning. Now, I know what some of you are going to say, "Why are you posting this here? The Whine Like a Baby thread is over there: https://www.halforums.com/threads/whine-like-a-baby-now-with-500-more-drama.26118/." Well, first of all, rude to interrupt me like that and second, I will tell you.

First, Grandma has been declining in health and mental faculties ever since my Grandfather passed a year or so ago. She'd been hospitalized for pneumonia recently and had been refusing all treatment except for morphine to stop the pain. She was ready to die and doing everything she could to speed the process up outside of actually committing suicide. This is not unexpected and I've done my grieving.

Second, she was not a nice person. Don't get me wrong, she was a wonderful Grandmother... right up until I went to college. Then she showed her true colors to me. She was a nasty person who would not hesitate to air your greatest failing in front of everyone and she'd do it like it was normal conversation. The only fair thing about her was that she did it to everyone who crossed her path.

Third, she wielded her religion like a cudgel. Christian, of course, and Presbyterian. Normally you wouldn't think of Presbyterians as particularly strict, but she and my Grandfather were. When I was single I would constantly be told to find a nice Christian woman with Grandma at one point even saying, "as long as you don't bring home the Rabbi's daughter." I never told her I am an atheist because then there would have been no end to the harassment. Well, until this, I guess. And I did wind up marrying a Jewish person anyway.

So, as you can see, our relationship was a bit strained, as in fact was everyone's relationship to her. I found out she passed this morning and I am still at work. I don't plan to take any time off either unless my family needs help dealing with the estate or I am forced to go to the funeral.

I'm not happy she passed away, but I am not sad about it either. It's just something that happened today.

Dave

Staff member
Hugs anyway.

But I get what you mean. My brother just got out of surgery for prostate cancer. My sister told me about it and made sure to point out that it went well. My response was "Meh."

For Dave's sister, the day Dave's brother had surgery for prostate cancer was the biggest day of her life. For Dave, it was Monday.

On the subject of grandparents, is it weird that I hope my grandfather dies before my grandmother?

Make no mistake, I love them both dearly and want them to have as long and good a life as possible, I don't want either of them to go, but they are in their 90's and starting to look frail. They both thankfully have full mental faculties but time is catching up with them, I know it won't be more than a couple of years, if that.

But I know my grandmother would be able to continue on after my grandfather passes. But he would be completely lost and sad without her.

Anna Kendrick is on my flight home. She's really sweet proof reading that proposal on mail box upgrades for Canada Post.

Combos are a great example of a food that almosts taste like something.

Not necessarily what it says on the bag, but something.

It just feels unfair to me that we now have Lucas-themed Le Creuset but still can't get borosilicate Pyrex.

--Patrick
Evidently, when Corning got out of the glass kitchenware market, they spun off a US division (Corelle) which makes pyrex out of soda-lime glass and uses a lowercase logo. They also licensed the name for use in Europe, where a French company named International Cookware uses an uppercase logo to market a line of borosilicate products.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrex

You can find the French borosilicate products on Amazon.

2019-10-05 10.00.57.jpg

Last edited:
Whine + minor win = random crap?

I'm still fucking sick. I still feel worse than I did before flying home. This sucks.

I had a super hot bath, and smell nice and like Lush-bath-bomb now, and I redownload a book from the library and it remembered where I was, so I can easily keep listening to that too. Yay!

It was 35 degrees (F) when my daughter left for school this morning, and she was wearing a sleeveless dress. I made her put on more clothes before she left and now it's 73 (still F), so I look forward to her teenage ranting about how I didn't have to make her wear more because IT'S SO HOT NOW. (Maybe she won't because all she did was put on leg warmers and a sweater, which are easy to remove, but that is logic)

I don't know how I'd survive dressing for weather swings you guys have. You sound like you have to dress in layers every day and carry a duffel bag for all the ones you have to shed throughout the day.
Also, leaving the house at 35 degrees in a sundress? BRRRRRRR!!! Not even as a teen.

I don't know how I'd survive dressing for weather swings you guys have. You sound like you have to dress in layers every day and carry a duffel bag for all the ones you have to shed throughout the day.
Also, leaving the house at 35 degrees in a sundress? BRRRRRRR!!! Not even as a teen.
TBH I love the weather swings because it means we don't have insufferably hot nights in the summer too.