fade

Staff member
I'm watching DS9 for the first time ever on Netflix. Why is it that the Federation members have to bend over backwards to honor other culture's traditions while none of the other cultures seem to give a crap for Federation customs? For example, if someone on DS9 says anything out of place about Trills, everyone, especially Dax, is like :Leyla:, but Dax openly talks about how stupid relationships are, and how Trills are interested in a higher existence, and everyone's cool with that. They often outright insult Federation customs, and that's cool with everyone. The Federation is like the USA of space.

The Federation was taken over by Canadians in the early 23rd century, resulting in a culture of 'take it up the rear'.

S

SeraRelm

Can anyone think of one female cereal mascot? No google/websearching allowed.

S

SeraRelm

Those aren't cereal mascots though, those are established cartoon characters used to promote a derivative product. :p

S

SeraRelm

Hmm... I'd have to say no since it's not an established character, it's pretty much just a red dress thrown on someone/anyone.
Added at: 12:43
the root cause is sexism against males.
I'm going to disagree with that, though I'm interested in why you think so.

All my childhood I thought the little bee from this cereal was male.

a little pilot male cartoon bee.

Then, very recently, they did this ad:

Now I'm confused.

M

makare

Or maybe it is because if a male character acts psycho for various foods there is no stigma because the mass culture allows men more leeway when consuming food.

But if Sonny for Cocoa Puffs was Sunny, a chick, for cocoa puffs and she was coocoo for them the thought wouldnt be haha it would be "damn that bitch is crazy! and she's going to get fat... no man'll want her then."

Honestly I think it is just a coincidence but I can't think of a mascot I'd rather was female because I don't really care.

S

SeraRelm

I though I explained that in my post. It can be boiled down to, "Who is made fun of when they consume something that targets the opposite sex?"
I think it's more along the lines of "something that targets the 'lesser' sex." I find that to be sexist against women, by making the more masculine engendered stereotypes to be widely socially acceptable, but the feminine ones, much less so. I was just curious as to your reasoning for that opinion is all.

All my childhood I thought the little bee from this cereal was male.

a little pilot male cartoon bee.

Then, very recently, they did this ad:

Now I'm confused.
Not sure if that counts as male or female... Let's name it Hedwig and be done with it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I'm on board with the folks who think there are few female cereal mascots because generally those mascots are abused/ridiculed in some way or another, and thus they need to be male to be acceptable targets.

That's still sexism, though it's the softer, friendliers "don't hit girls" kind of sexism.

I made two creative writing submissions recently:

-My novel (now really red-penned, thanks to Quotemander Prime), sent to Medallion Press.
-A short story (re-edited just tonight) to Clarkesworld Magazine. If accepted, it'd be my seventh published work.

Fingers crossed, people! Cross the fingers of those around you. Pets, too!

M

makare

Ok so wtf of the day at the end of a call tonight, you know at the point where you hang up and go on your merry way never thinking of the other person again, the guy tried to convince me to sell Amway products.

I was like wtf... no.

So, I found out today the IDW publishing is releasing a Cthulu mythos crossover with the Transformers, Ninja Turtles and GI Joe. I might need to pick these up.

Perhaps a video commentary will be warranted?