Every time the topic of oreos comes up, it reminds me that I'm lucky to be alive and still have full use of all of my limbs and eyes. I used to eat an entire column of Oreos for breakfast, dunked in coffee with a copious amount of sugar AND pre-sweetened, flavored creamer; and follow it with a triple Whopper with cheese and bacon, large fries, large (sugary) soda, and package of Reese's cups for lunch.

<shudder>

Every time the topic of oreos comes up, it reminds me that I'm lucky to be alive and still have full use of all of my limbs and eyes. I used to eat an entire column of Oreos for breakfast, dunked in coffee with a copious amount of sugar AND pre-sweetened, flavored creamer; and follow it with a triple Whopper with cheese and bacon, large fries, large (sugary) soda, and package of Reese's cups for lunch.

<shudder>
<Bunker>Thooose weeere the daaaaaaaays!</Bunker>

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
As a human being, there's also that biologically-verified thing where, as you get older, you no longer gauge how good something tastes based on how much sugar is in it. So even if they haven't changed the formulation*, the fact that you've gotten older means sugary, sticky, syrup-sweet stuff just doesn't taste as appealing any more.

--Patrick
*which of course they probably have, just sayin'.
I know that's a thing, but starburst taste just as good as they ever did, to me. I still like gummi bears as much as I ever did. I'd eat myself sick on Jell-o in a heartbeat.

But just about everything that has chocolate in it doesn't taste as good as it used to. I've noticed that, more and more, the "name brand" chocolate stuff like Hersheys and Nestle and Kit Kats and whatnot all taste more and more like the barely-tolerable "cheap" generic chocolate that goes into bargain basement valentine candy and stuff.

As for Oreos, which don't actually have much chocolate in them at all (as verified by the time when I left a full bag on the coffee table and my GSD ate the whole thing and didn't get poisoned), it's probably the trans fats thing.

Trans fats were fucking delicious.

<Bunker>Thooose weeere the daaaaaaaays!</Bunker>

--Patrick
Nah, you couldn't pay me enough to go back to a diet like that*. In addition to the diabetes, it just left me feeling run down and sick all the time. I'll stick to veggies and lean protein for the foreseeable future.

*Yes you could.

So, once in a blue moon, I like to pull out the instruments, and find a webcam chat site, and play irish tunes as the parade of dicks go by. I find it hilarious to flip over to some guy seriously stroking it, only see that I've immediately ruined his mood, and he has to free a hand and click the "next" button. Today, I kept getting the same guy over and over every couple of minutes, and every time, he just got angrier and angrier. I actually busted out laughing once and ruined the tune. Which just made him madder.

Interestingly enough, I do occasionally meet people who aren't there to jerk the gherkin. They'll usually listen, and we'll chat about the music. I can usually tell when I'll meet someone like that, because they're fully clothed, and their webcam is kind of set up in a normal way, and not zoomed in on their crotch. But it makes me wonder--why are they there in the first place?

But what I find truly disconcerting is when I see the occasional pre-teen girl (or a room of them) fly by. They never stay and listen to the music. Because they're there for the parade of dicks. And that kind of makes me sad.

I almost never see any grown women on these things. Because by the time girls grow up, they realize that they can pretty much see a dick whenever they want to. And they don't want to nearly as often as these webcam strokers hope.

I don't know why, but I keep having this mental image of Alfie Allen selling some stupid travel service or product talking to the camera while he's walking through the halls of a luxury hotel towards the elevator. The door opens, and Keanu Reeves and Iwan Rheon are in the elevator. They look at him, he looks at them, and Alfie says, 'Yeah, uh, I'll get the next one."

I think that would be mildly amusing.

No, shut up, you're drunk.

fade

Staff member
At Tuesday night's advanced class, our sensei (who is Iranian by birth and I'm guessing late 60s in age) saw one of our students picking up her son from the kid's class which meets before ours. For context, our dojo meets in a YMCA, so the hallway outside the dojo was busy where this happened. Only about 4 of us had shown up (not unusual for the advanced class on Tuesday), so he says to her, "Where's your gi? We need more hot bodies in the class!"
Her: What?
Him: More hot bodies. Only 4 of you are here.
Her: ...
(she walks up to sensei)
Her (low voice): I think you mean "warm bodies". Hot bodies means something else entirely.

Was it from one of the whacking guys on the webcam sites you play music for?
Kinda...I was on omegle. Now, ostensibly, omegle has a "clean" side and an "unmoderated" side. But there's plenty of whacking happening on the "clean" side.

Interestingly enough, usually the people who stop and listen and talk are middle-eastern or Indian guys. So, one of them asked me if I had any music for sale, and I pointed him to Amazon, and he bought a CD while I was chatting with him.

And then, regardless of what I said in my earlier post, there were lots of women and teenage girls on last night. And a lot of them stopped to listen. A couple of teen girls were really into the music, and one of them said I should be in a band, so I mentioned my CD on Amazon. She asked if I was on iTunes, and I told her that I used to be, but didn't remember if we still distributed on that platform. Turns out we did, so she found the page and asked me to play along with some of my own tunes (I guess to prove it was me). After I'd played a couple of tunes--which was a challenge, because there's a little bit of lag--she bought the CD. Then she shooed her friend out of the room, laid back on the bed all comfortable like, and started taking down her shorts.

That's not really my deal, so I clicked next. Probably broke the young lass's heart. ;)

Kinda...I was on omegle. Now, ostensibly, omegle has a "clean" side and an "unmoderated" side. But there's plenty of whacking happening on the "clean" side.

Interestingly enough, usually the people who stop and listen and talk are middle-eastern or Indian guys. So, one of them asked me if I had any music for sale, and I pointed him to Amazon, and he bought a CD while I was chatting with him.

And then, regardless of what I said in my earlier post, there were lots of women and teenage girls on last night. And a lot of them stopped to listen. A couple of teen girls were really into the music, and one of them said I should be in a band, so I mentioned my CD on Amazon. She asked if I was on iTunes, and I told her that I used to be, but didn't remember if we still distributed on that platform. Turns out we did, so she found the page and asked me to play along with some of my own tunes (I guess to prove it was me). After I'd played a couple of tunes--which was a challenge, because there's a little bit of lag--she bought the CD. Then she shooed her friend out of the room, laid back on the bed all comfortable like, and started taking down her shorts.

That's not really my deal, so I clicked next. Probably broke the young lass's heart. ;)
*Bugs Bunny doing the Monster's nails voice*

Halforumites are such innnnteresting people.

This is really scary for where metals could have ended up: This Japan Metals Scandal Could Impact The Auto Industry And End Catastrophically
The Japanese corporate world is getting rocked by the country’s third-largest steelmaker, Kobe Steel, which admitted last week to falsely labeling products supplied to over 500 companies across the world, including the largest automakers.

Last week, Kobe Steel admitted that staff fudged reports on the strength and durability of products requested by its clients—including those from the airline industry, cars, space rockets, and Japan’s bullet trains. The company estimated that four percent of aluminum and copper products shipped from September 2016 to August 2017 were falsely labelled, Automotive News reported.

But on Friday, the company’s CEO, Hiroya Kawasaki, revealed the scandal has impacted about 500 companies—doubling the initial count—and now includes steel products, too. The practice of falsely labeling data to meet customer’s specifications could date back more than 10 years
Reuters: As crisis at Kobe Steel deepens, CEO says cheating engulfs 500 firms
Chief Executive Hiroya Kawasaki on Friday revealed that about 500 companies had received its falsely certified products, more than double its earlier count, confirming widespread wrongdoing at the steelmaker that has sent a chill along global supply chains.

Boeing Co, has some of the falsely certified products, a source with knowledge of the matter told Reuters, while stressing that the world’s biggest maker of passenger jets does not consider the issue a safety problem.
I think that last one is amazingly reckless. Tolerances are all the more important on airplanes than even on cars, though of course the both could have catastrophic failures. Boeing should be grounding each and every plane in their fleet manufactured with any parts from that company. And even worse (possibly) is that any accident investigations involving their planes for the last 10 years also might need to be re-investigated to see if any "suspect" parts were involved.

Now expand that to 500+ more companies.

So TL; DR; The 3rd-largest metal manufacturer in Japan has admitted to mis-labeling products sent to other manufacturers, which could mean they could fail. This is reverberating through the global supply chain.

Any safety critical company should be spot checking materials for standards. Whether they do or not is another slippery point, but a consumer could sue a manufacturer for not checking the materials met their own standards before use, and while the manufacturer could then sue the supplier, the outcome of that depends on contracts more than the case against the manufacturer.

It will be interesting to see how this play out, but I don't see manufacturers caving to recalls. It's more likely they'll spot test vehicles, perhaps with crash testing even, and determine that even with the flawed metals they still meet the safety standards of the US.

And besides, if Boeing knows what steel was mislabelled, they should know where the steel got used. Maybe they know it wound up as the cladding on interior partitions, or the like.

Been hearing about this, but since I can never seem to afford to buy anything "new," I wasn't paying it much mind (yet).

--Patrick

And besides, if Boeing knows what steel was mislabelled, they should know where the steel got used. Maybe they know it wound up as the cladding on interior partitions, or the like.
Not necessarily. The tracking involves a lot of third parties since Boeing contracts out a lot of subassemblies.

A lot of the planes are titanium, carbon fiber, and aluminum. Steel fatigues faster than aluminum under repeated stress, so steel parts are often replaceable, and in fact are replaced after some time depending on actual service life and detected fractures.

Every six years a passenger plane is almost completely gutted and inspected:

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/...ucture-inspection-happen-in-practice-for-mode

This costs between 5-7 million dollars each time, and is the reason airplane frames in the US are rarely older than 24 years, the cost just doesn't make sense at that age. Critical members undergo ultrasonic testing which can detect fractures and fatigue the human eye can't see.

As far as metal usage in the cars, you might see rust earlier, and you might see metal fatigue earlier, but after 10 years most cars are considered junkers, so if the metal is more likely to rust, chances are no one will notice.

The only thing that might matter is whether the frame or crush members fail inappropriately during a crash. This would be very difficult to prove even under lab conditions. So even if the metal wasn't to spec it's likely that 1) it wouldn't materially affect a crash and even if it did 2) it would be very hard to detect that it was a metal spec failure.

This is certainly going to send reverbations through the industry, and a lot of lawsuits will undoubtedly follow as other corporations get their pound of flesh (and look at blaming some of their issues on the metal to offload liability)

But the end result on the consumer is probably small.

Not necessarily. The tracking involves a lot of third parties since Boeing contracts out a lot of subassemblies.

A lot of the planes are titanium, carbon fiber, and aluminum. Steel fatigues faster than aluminum under repeated stress, so steel parts are often replaceable, and in fact are replaced after some time depending on actual service life and detected fractures.

Every six years a passenger plane is almost completely gutted and inspected:

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/...ucture-inspection-happen-in-practice-for-mode

This costs between 5-7 million dollars each time, and is the reason airplane frames in the US are rarely older than 24 years, the cost just doesn't make sense at that age. Critical members undergo ultrasonic testing which can detect fractures and fatigue the human eye can't see.

As far as metal usage in the cars, you might see rust earlier, and you might see metal fatigue earlier, but after 10 years most cars are considered junkers, so if the metal is more likely to rust, chances are no one will notice.

The only thing that might matter is whether the frame or crush members fail inappropriately during a crash. This would be very difficult to prove even under lab conditions. So even if the metal wasn't to spec it's likely that 1) it wouldn't materially affect a crash and even if it did 2) it would be very hard to detect that it was a metal spec failure.

This is certainly going to send reverbations through the industry, and a lot of lawsuits will undoubtedly follow as other corporations get their pound of flesh (and look at blaming some of their issues on the metal to offload liability)

But the end result on the consumer is probably small.
IIRC from the article I read last week, the falsified data applied to multiple products and several of Kobe Steel's subsidiary companies, including one that made steel wire rope, and one that made aluminum, which would be a much bigger concern to Boeing.

SAO-abridged is better than the show it's parodying-THAT IS ALL-...also maybe season two of SAO because holy crap did that show not need to go past one season.

So even if the metal wasn't to spec it's likely that 1) it wouldn't materially affect a crash and even if it did 2) it would be very hard to detect that it was a metal spec failure.
I think it depends on HOW not-to-spec they are. If for example it's a piece of metal that is "punched" into the right form, and then just installed, the weight will be the same, and nobody on the line will have any idea, but its strength could be SEVERELY compromised, and especially its durability under repeated strain. Let's just hope that the "lots" of product are all consistently mis-labelled, and thus more easily tracked.

And as fade repeated, the OP article links state how originally this was a copper/aluminum ONLY problem to begin with, but it's expanded to include their steel products too.

Dave

Staff member
So have any of you ever checked out the official KFC Twitter account? Check out who they follow and tell me why it's the greatest thing ever.

GasBandit

Staff member
It won't show me what they follow without "logging in" and I don't have a twitter account (and don't want one), so howsabout you guys stop being coy and just tell the punchline already :p

GasBandit

Staff member
I hope our listeners like the home depot jingle, because they've got a commercial in literally every single one of the commercial breaks between 5 am and 8pm on one of our stations on monday.

I hope our listeners like the home depot jingle, because they've got a commercial in literally every single one of the commercial breaks between 5 am and 8pm on one of our stations on monday.
Has your owner ever considered adopting the streaming model where the listeners just pay him to delete commercials?

--Patrick