fade

Staff member
Isn't that the thing they sing right at the beginning of Lion King?

HHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEIIIII LAOWAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Not sure where else this would go, so

Off an On for like a year we've heard about this "Giant Robot Fight" between a Japan-built mech and American-built mech. It was on Twitch earlier tonight.

Don't bother watching it. It was boring, short, and most of all, completely fake. As in scripted. Badly. The weapons were laughable - the "chainsword" was turning so slowly it couldn't have cut peanut butter, and the Japanese robot's fist broke to pieces after punching the American robot a couple times. Neither robot could move or hit with any real effectiveness, they both had paintball guns that did basically nothing, a bunch of idiot hosts trying to sell us on the kayfabe, and really it was more sad than anything. The true crowning turd in the shitpile was the twitch channel chat, though, which, despite this allegedly being a serious business event and one that had been scheduled for weeks in advance, was UNMODERATED. So, hope you like racism! Seriously, it was like the same 20 guys spamming anti-semetic and white supremacist slogans about 1000 times, along with everyone else commenting on how blatantly fake the event was.

I bought Oreos for the first time in my life. It's not the first time I've ever eaten an Oreo, of course not, but it is the first time I personally have purchased Oreos.

I bought the double stuffed.

I ate two of them.

They're for guests now I guess, so I chucked the rest in the freezer.

Not really for me.

fade

Staff member
Not sure where else this would go, so

Off an On for like a year we've heard about this "Giant Robot Fight" between a Japan-built mech and American-built mech. It was on Twitch earlier tonight.

Don't bother watching it. It was boring, short, and most of all, completely fake. As in scripted. Badly. The weapons were laughable - the "chainsword" was turning so slowly it couldn't have cut peanut butter, and the Japanese robot's fist broke to pieces after punching the American robot a couple times. Neither robot could move or hit with any real effectiveness, they both had paintball guns that did basically nothing, a bunch of idiot hosts trying to sell us on the kayfabe, and really it was more sad than anything. The true crowning turd in the shitpile was the twitch channel chat, though, which, despite this allegedly being a serious business event and one that had been scheduled for weeks in advance, was UNMODERATED. So, hope you like racism! Seriously, it was like the same 20 guys spamming anti-semetic and white supremacist slogans about 1000 times, along with everyone else commenting on how blatantly fake the event was.
Hackaday had a good take on it. This was doing what you could within limitations, because if they really wanted to go at it, we already have "mechs" for that. They call them "tanks".

My father had a traffic accident. He is ok but the car it's going to need a lot of work.
You know? It's pretty hard to be skeptical when bad things happens again and again.[DOUBLEPOST=1508344967,1508344924][/DOUBLEPOST]It's the wrong forum but whatever.

Hackaday had a good take on it. This was doing what you could within limitations, because if they really wanted to go at it, we already have "mechs" for that. They call them "tanks".
Tanks aren't robots.

What this was billed as was basically Real Steel / Rock'em Sock'em Robots / Robot Jox.

What it turned out to be was a blatantly scripted boring wankfest.

Dave

Staff member
My father had a traffic accident. He is ok but the car it's going to need a lot of work.
You know? It's pretty hard to be skeptical when bad things happens again and again.[DOUBLEPOST=1508344967,1508344924][/DOUBLEPOST]It's the wrong forum but whatever.
Was it the same drunk bitch that hit us last week and screwed up our van? Because she gets around!

But these werent robots either. They were manned, which was why they had to use the nerfed weaponry
No, they were mecha. Or at least, that's what the idea was.

Okay, I wasn't fucking expecting full on Armored Core levels of fighting. But I did expect something a little better than what was produced - two robots who could move at the speed of smell, performing scripted combat in a warehouse, and falling apart under their own flimsy construction. I mean for fuck's sake, the first one, that got knocked over, was made of plywood.

You're too fucking dry to be riding my dick like this, this early in the day.

fade

Staff member
All joking aside from someone who does this stuff for fun, my guess is the problem was power management. The problem with a Gundam style mech is that it requires a fantasy power source. It's hard enough to keep a 5v servo running for a reasonable amount of time when carrying any load. The only way they could probably do it in these suits is by gearing the speed down to slo-mo in order to not burn the battery out in seconds. Just a guess.

All joking aside from someone who does this stuff for fun, my guess is the problem was power management. The problem with a Gundam style mech is that it requires a fantasy power source. It's hard enough to keep a 5v servo running for a reasonable amount of time when carrying any load. The only way they could probably do it in these suits is by gearing the speed down to slo-mo in order to not burn the battery out in seconds. Just a guess.
The american one (and I imagine the japanese is similar) uses a fossil fuel engine (gas or diesel, don't know which) to run a hydraulic pump, and a separate gas engine generator is run for the electrical needs. They have a laptop and an electronic control system, but I believe the hydraulics are all control via conventional hydraulic levers and controls - the same thing you'd find on a tractor or backhoe. The treads are hydraulic driven, the arms and trunk have hydraulic cylinders.

The "gun" is electrically actuated.

I bought Oreos for the first time in my life. It's not the first time I've ever eaten an Oreo, of course not, but it is the first time I personally have purchased Oreos.

I ate two of them.

Not really for me.
Try the chewy chips ahoy with Oreo cream filling.

GasBandit

Staff member
Then maybe don't market what can't be delivered, ey?

The american one (and I imagine the japanese is similar) uses a fossil fuel engine (gas or diesel, don't know which) to run a hydraulic pump, and a separate gas engine generator is run for the electrical needs. They have a laptop and an electronic control system, but I believe the hydraulics are all control via conventional hydraulic levers and controls - the same thing you'd find on a tractor or backhoe. The treads are hydraulic driven, the arms and trunk have hydraulic cylinders.

The "gun" is electrically actuated.
FWIW, a hybrid system for passenger vehicles based on hydraulics is in development, and has been for quite some time, the biggest problem with it is the annoying amount of noise it generates.

--Patrick

I ate two of them.

Not really for me.
The double stuff ruins them.

The filling used to be the best part.
Then I grew up.
Now the best part about eating a box of Oreos is the fact that I had enough time free to eat an entire box of Oreos.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
I'm just talking about the technical stuff and passing on hackaday's message. I never disagreed with you guys.

GasBandit

Staff member
The filling used to be the best part.
Then I grew up.
Now the best part about eating a box of Oreos is the fact that I had enough time free to eat an entire box of Oreos.

--Patrick
I'm almost certain that, much like all kinds of things I loved back in the 80s and 90s, Oreos has gone through a reformulation. There are all kinds of things that don't taste as good as they used to - many of them I blame on the rising price of chocolate, which leads them to figure out ways to use less chocolate so they don't have to raise prices as much.

I'm almost certain that, much like all kinds of things I loved back in the 80s and 90s, Oreos has gone through a reformulation. There are all kinds of things that don't taste as good as they used to - many of them I blame on the rising price of chocolate, which leads them to figure out ways to use less chocolate so they don't have to raise prices as much.
I think I vaguely recall that they had to remove trans-fats from Oreos and that caused a change in flavor (much like the change in taste of McDonald's fries when they had to stop using partially hydrogenated soybean oil in their fryers).

2006 Oreo replaced the trans fat with non hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Since about January of 2017, after the Chicago plant shut down and more of north america's oreos were made in mexico than previously, a bunch of people have claimed that oreos taste different:

http://nypost.com/2017/04/25/did-oreos-change-their-recipe-without-telling-us/

But the company insists that while oreos have different tastes and ingredients in different regions of the world, all the oreos produced to be sold in north america have the same flavor profile.

Note that they don't say the same ingredients - just the same flavor profile.

So not only did the recipe distinctly change over a decade ago, but it may have changed again recently, though the company denies it.

There are still three or more plants producing oreos inside the US, btw, so the mexico produced oreos aren't as easy to come by as the US produced oreos.

The chicago plant shutdown resulted in 600 lost jobs.

Last edited:
As a human being, there's also that biologically-verified thing where, as you get older, you no longer gauge how good something tastes based on how much sugar is in it. So even if they haven't changed the formulation*, the fact that you've gotten older means sugary, sticky, syrup-sweet stuff just doesn't taste as appealing any more.

--Patrick
*which of course they probably have, just sayin'.

figmentPez

Staff member
Just plug them into a wall outlet! It's a scripted arena fight anyway.