Dave

Staff member
The university I work for entered into an agreement with China that is having a bunch of students from there come here for school. We've had hundreds for the last year or so. It's been actually really cool. This April they announced the formation of a new sports team - eSports.

My university is going to have a competitive LoL and Overwatch team.

The Chinese students are stoked!!

My blood pressure has always been low and I go through phases where it gets really low. At my procedure a few weeks ago, they were really worried about how low it was, but still sent me home which I thought was weird.

It was super low at the doctor's again today and he's ordered some blood tests.

His short term advice? Eat more salt. This isn't the first time he's told me this...

We're having a real, honest to god thunderstorm for the first time in like, years. Usually when the forecast says thunderstorm it just means the rainfall map turns yellow or red, we don't actually get any thunder or lightning, or hail, or wind, or anything else really. This time though, since about 3pm, we've had actual thunder, lightning, hail, wind gusts, heavy rain - radar has even picked up quarter-sized hail for some areas (that's big for this region but feel free to laugh, oh softball-sized hail getters). The temp outside is around 65, maybe, and falling... and the goddamn ice cream man is out there, driving around incessantly, expecting the kids who would've bought his wares had it stayed 80 and sunny to be let out by their parents into off and on t-storms. Go away, ice cream man! No one wants your goods today! Let me listen to my storm in peace.

fade

Staff member
You monsters. Carl's Jr/Hardees Frisco Burger is a heart-stopping delight. I will gladly pay them tomorrow for a Frisco Burger today.

You monsters. Carl's Jr/Hardees Frisco Burger is a heart-stopping delight. I will gladly pay them tomorrow for a Frisco Burger today.
That does sound awesome - I have been known to devour sourdough burgers in the past, especially if they have bacon and swiss. Sadly, they don't sell that in Washington, they might in Idaho, but by the time I got there, I would've gone through the town with my absolute favorite burger joint, and just eaten there. I will, however, keep my eyes open for a Hardee's next time I head east.

Yeah, they're good. They used to have sourdough+ham+egg+cheese breakfast sandwiches too. They were so good. I don't know if they still have them.

Around here if I want sourdough, my option is Yack in the Sack, and I just haven't found a good individual location around me.

Frisco burgers and breakfast sandwiches are still around and at Hardee's/Carl's Jr.

Sent from my NXA8QC116 using Tapatalk

We're having a real, honest to god thunderstorm for the first time in like, years. Usually when the forecast says thunderstorm it just means the rainfall map turns yellow or red, we don't actually get any thunder or lightning, or hail, or wind, or anything else really. This time though, since about 3pm, we've had actual thunder, lightning, hail, wind gusts, heavy rain - radar has even picked up quarter-sized hail for some areas (that's big for this region but feel free to laugh, oh softball-sized hail getters). The temp outside is around 65, maybe, and falling... and the goddamn ice cream man is out there, driving around incessantly, expecting the kids who would've bought his wares had it stayed 80 and sunny to be let out by their parents into off and on t-storms. Go away, ice cream man! No one wants your goods today! Let me listen to my storm in peace.
I live in an area that gets most of North America's lightning strikes. It makes me wonder what its like to be a rare thing.

Like seeing Niagara Falls for the first time, something I can't recall.

I live in an area that gets most of North America's lightning strikes. It makes me wonder what its like to be a rare thing.

Like seeing Niagara Falls for the first time, something I can't recall.
I can count on one hand the number of lightning-generating thunderstorms I've encountered since I moved to the west side of Washington state - in 2001 - and still have a finger left over.

fade

Staff member
So, if you all don't hear from me again, it was nice knowing you. Check Houston news reports for "Angry Wife Finally Has Enough" subtitled with quotes like "There was blood everywhere", says one frightened neighbor.

I bought a TV without my wife's knowledge. I haven't bought a new one in like 13 years. I have had my eye on the Samsung KS8000 since it came out, but its price tag was like 2 grand. The replacement came out about a month ago, and from all reviews, it's actually a downgrade. So naturally, the price on the old ones went up instead of down. Anyway, I went to Best Buy at lunch, and they had an open box for like 600 bucks, so I bought it. I couldn't pass it up.

This is replacing my Sony KDL-XBR2, which was, like, the nicest TV you could buy at the time. It was one of the few that had 1080p. I just checked my Amazon history, and I paid friggin' $2200 bucks for that thing. And I was a broke student at the time. I had a nice internship, and instead of saving the cash, I guess I decided to blow it on a TV. It's still a nice looking TV with the glass and stainless bezel that makes it look like it's floating. But the picture is outdated.

Anyway, we who are about to die salute you.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, if you all don't hear from me again, it was nice knowing you. Check Houston news reports for "Angry Wife Finally Has Enough" subtitled with quotes like "There was blood everywhere", says one frightened neighbor.

I bought a TV without my wife's knowledge. I haven't bought a new one in like 13 years. I have had my eye on the Samsung KS8000 since it came out, but its price tag was like 2 grand. The replacement came out about a month ago, and from all reviews, it's actually a downgrade. So naturally, the price on the old ones went up instead of down. Anyway, I went to Best Buy at lunch, and they had an open box for like 600 bucks, so I bought it. I couldn't pass it up.

This is replacing my Sony KDL-XBR2, which was, like, the nicest TV you could buy at the time. It was one of the few that had 1080p. I just checked my Amazon history, and I paid friggin' $2200 bucks for that thing. And I was a broke student at the time. I had a nice internship, and instead of saving the cash, I guess I decided to blow it on a TV. It's still a nice looking TV with the glass and stainless bezel that makes it look like it's floating. But the picture is outdated.

If you survive, but she kicks you out, you can be my roomie. That way you're still in driving distance to visit the kids.

Just be sure to bring the new TV.

That's my TV. Assuming it works fine, you made a good call.

fade

Staff member
Guys, I texted my wife about it and she said "It's fine."

So, this is what it feels like to be on death row.

I haven't clicked on any in a while, because Chrome wants to download them all the time, and I've never bothered to look for, let alone change the setting to stop that.

GasBandit

Staff member
I haven't clicked on any in a while, because Chrome wants to download them all the time, and I've never bothered to look for, let alone change the setting to stop that.
Both chrome and firefox have been getting more crappy about flash since everybody's dead set on doing away with it. Only thing I can think of is going into chrome://settings/content and setting "allow websites to use flash" or adding https://www.halforums.com:443 to the exceptions list as "allow."

But yeah, I guess what'll kill the "it's friday" SWFs is the abandonment of flash, not running out of swfs.[DOUBLEPOST=1494032633,1494032588][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's a shockwave flash file. If you don't have SWF support in your browser (and most today actively discourage it) then it does want to download.

Go here if you want to load the software that will allow you to view this ancient (in internet years) animation format:

https://get.adobe.com/shockwave/
It's not that, it's that the last few patches for both major browsers have actively taken steps to "sunset" flash support, setting certain defaults to stop it from working, unfortunately.

Though, for some people, sometimes reinstalling flash does seem to do the trick. Perhaps it flips the settings back to "make this work."

Both chrome and firefox have been getting more crappy about flash since everybody's dead set on doing away with it. Only thing I can think of is going into chrome://settings/content and setting "allow websites to use flash" or adding https://www.halforums.com:443 to the exceptions list as "allow."

But yeah, I guess what'll kill the "it's friday" SWFs is the abandonment of flash, not running out of swfs.[DOUBLEPOST=1494032633,1494032588][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's not that, it's that the last few patches for both major browsers have actively taken steps to "sunset" flash support, setting certain defaults to stop it from working, unfortunately.

Though, for some people, sometimes reinstalling flash does seem to do the trick. Perhaps it flips the settings back to "make this work."
On other sites I have a "get flash" button, and when I click on it, it asks if I want to enable flash.

ETA:
Tried the 443 HF link. Didn't work. Tried [*.]halforums.com. Didn't work. Tried [*.]gasbanditry.com. Didn't work. Only thing that worked was enabling flash for everything.

Last edited:
Yack in the Sack is usually what I do after I eat Taco Bell.
I think you mean "Poo in the Loo."

And yes, almost all modern browsers have made Flash into an "opt-in" plug-in, because people either just won't keep it updated to the most recent version, or else they click "Yes go right ahead" on any window that claims to be a Flash update without verifying it first.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Sorry about that. I tried to play it yesterday and got an error so I disabled it. Forgot to reenable it.