As a Christian I am offended that he says the things he does. Like giving credit that Jesus influences his wins. Also that he flatly ignores one of the commands of the man that the religion is named for.
Around here, there is a white Cadillac STS with a license plate reading, "I TITHE."
Even as a non-practicing Catholic*, I find this patently offensive.

When I was 11, I read a Dean Koontz novel (can't recall the title now) where a junior high school age kid discovers that his new friend has burned one child alive, drove over another with his mom's car, and tries to sexually assault a girl from their class. I read another where a family was murdered and a woman and a girl are kidnapped, and the woman is dealing with her past of psychological/physical abuse by her mother. I wonder if 11-year-olds can handle the Wheel of Time... -_-
When I was 11, I read The Lord of the Rings (previously I had only read The Hobbit). At 12, straight off the shelves of my English classroom, I read I Will Fear No Evil, Caves of Steel, and by high school I was deep into Larry Niven, Mary Stewart, and Joel Rosenberg (with no C), as well as several other books/authors that hadn't been recommended by my teachers.

11yr-olds can handle plenty. Especially if you start them around age 7 or 8.

--Patrick
*My official stance on Facebook and such is "Unconvinced."

M

makare

It's generally understood that once a law student gets to the last semester of his or her last year that no more fucks will be given. But my prof really made me laugh earlier today.

He said "any question.... any questions?! it's the 6th semester WHO REALLY CARES ANYMORE!?"

which nearly got a round of applause. I clapped.. in my heart.

GasBandit

Staff member
Maybe she was asking amazon because she was afraid the kid would get to books 6-8 or so and get so exasperated by multiparagraph descriptions of pointless minutiae that they'd throw the book down and never read anything ever again.

So here's a funny thing that happened to me tonight while delivering papers.

Driving out in the countryside, I make a left hand turn onto another road. From the stop now behind me a truck and a car start following me. Now, this truck is jacked way up and I drive a Camry, so my car sits way down. I lift my hand in front of the mirror to block the light, which is made easier because my window is open.

It suddenly dawns on me that this truck is now driving up my ass and I'm thinking 'WTF?'. Making another left I drive down a bit with this truck revving behind me. I figure 'fuck it, let 'em pass me and I can finish delivering the papers' and pull over to the side. I signal and do just that.

He guns it past me and about 30 feet up pulls a funky Y turn, followed shortly by the car doing the same thing. The car then speeds past me and the truck pulls just past me, stops, and the guy starts screaming out his window at me from 10 feet behind me. I, of course, can't hear jack squat since I have music blaring away inside the car. Confused I turn down the music and scream back "What?"

Now he puts his truck in reverse, backs up so our windows are actually even and says "What the hell, why'd you flip me off?" I must have looked awful confused when I replied "I didn't flip you off, I'm just trying to deliver these papers" because he became much friendlier in tone. "You sure you didn't flip me off back there?"

This is where it dawns on me what must have happened. I explained that I was just trying to block the light, his truck sits high and my car sits low so my arm raised outside the window to block the light shining in my eyes must have seemed like I was popping the bird, but no, I was not making a rude gesture.

In the end, I wished him a good night and went on my way. The whole thing wasn't really concerning to me, maybe because neither one of us got out of the car and I was able to reason with the kid (must have been all of 19 years old). What really struck me was I hadn't seen anything like this since I was in high school.

Durrr, :Leyla:, I got this big truck that my mommy bought me and I'm the biggest badass that has ever roamed these roads! That's exactly what I thought as I was reading Krisken.

@ PatrThom- That's kind of what it felt like! The whole thing was more nostalgia for me than anything else. All I could think was "Wow, I remember when I was a road raging nit-wit!" Ahhh, the good old days!

@Sparhawk- I'm sure that's where he got the truck, too, since it wasn't just a big truck, but it couldn't have been more than 3 years old and was a diesell. Those things aren't cheap!

M

makare

Former South Dakota Governor Bill Janklow died today. He was really a love/hate guy. Both because he was governor and also because a lot of people think he used his power to get out of a manslaughter charge. Honestly I am one of those people and so I will always have that problem with him but he did have positive traits. He was a great lawyer and he was always nice to me when I met him. He was funny and he really cared about South Dakota. So I respect that about him.

I didn't really have a point to this post I just was thinking about it and it felt nicely random.

The woman I went on a couple dates with recently was texting me, and said, "I need a vacation, a stiff drinking, and a good fuck." I replied and said, "Well, I can't give you a vacation, I'm almost out of booze, and I'm lousy in bed, so I'm not much use to you." because I thought it was funny and true.

Every woman I've shared that with has said the same thing. "Who said you were lousy in bed?"

M

makare

I never liked the HS books I liked the Twins ones though.

Also I love musicals so woohoo.