Well, and also the films contradict themselves anyway (shocking, I know). Darth Sidius had both Duku and Maul studying under him at the same time, so the whole "only one master and one apprentice" thing is pretty much out the window anyway. Then if you include the Clone Wars as cannon, Duku had Ventress when he was still a desciple, so who knows?

I notice at times that kids seem kind of wussy with stuff these days, but then I realize, it's their parents who are wussy. I saw a topic on Amazon.com forums, a parent asking if they should let their 11-year-old son read The Wheel of Time series.

When I was 11, I read a Dean Koontz novel (can't recall the title now) where a junior high school age kid discovers that his new friend has burned one child alive, drove over another with his mom's car, and tries to sexually assault a girl from their class. I read another where a family was murdered and a woman and a girl are kidnapped, and the woman is dealing with her past of psychological/physical abuse by her mother.

I wonder if 11-year-olds can handle the Wheel of Time... -_-

M

makare

She probably knows her personal 11-year-old better than anyone else. Not all kids are the same.

Sounds like you could have dated icarus.

M

makare

probably hearing what other people say about it in relation to their own parenting experiences since she probably didnt read it herself?

there are so many things I feel like I could say about this situation, but they will all be dismissed as irrelevant so instead a funny picture.

for some reason I am reminded of the late Victor Wong, aka Grandpa from the first Three Ninjas movie.

M

makare

like i said she probably didn't read it so how else is she supposed to find out what the book is about? and what better way to ask then in relation to the age of her actual child?

If someone asked that question about a book id read id say the book has this, this or that in it that might be difficult for a kid. then let them make their own decision. she wasn't expecting them to say "yes damn it let them read it now WE COMMAND YOU WE ARE THE AMAZON PARENTING LORDS DO AS WE SAAAAAY!"

probably hearing what other people say about it in relation to their own parenting experiences since she probably didnt read it herself?
If she knows her own kid, why is she asking? If she's so concerned, why NOT read it herself?

Hang on, I have the proper makare response to this conversation:

"Did you ever think that maybe she likes asking people inane questions about her own kid?"
Added at: 00:31
like i said she probably didn't read it so how else is she supposed to find out what the book is about? and what better way to ask then in relation to the age of her actual child?

If someone asked that question about a book id read id say the book has this, this or that in it that might be difficult for a kid. then let them make their own decision. she wasn't expecting them to say "yes damn it let them read it now WE COMMAND YOU WE ARE THE AMAZON PARENTING LORDS DO AS WE SAAAAAY!"
Reading it herself is a better way. Someone else can say "It's okay for an 11-year-old" and not know her kid, so their opinion continues not to matter under what you said earlier.

The Wheel of Time isn't going to scar a kid. If 12-year-olds can read Breaking Dawn, I think 11-year-olds can handle The Wheel of Time, until they get bored of reading about the lacing of someone's dress for the fiftieth time and go play a video game like any good child these days.

M

makare

You know what whatever, parents should look into the reading materials etc their kids are reading and asking for input from other people is not a bad thing.

The issues here are 1. she knows her own kid best so she can use the information to decide how her kid can "handle" things. Whatever that even means.
2. Just because she asked what other people think doesn't mean she has to literal do whatever they say. What if different people say different things? oh noes robot mom whateverwill you do?!
3. most importantly, just because a kid can read something, see something or do something without their head exploding doesn't mean they should.

Honestly? The lady is doing more research into it than it seems most parents do into their kids' interests these days, so I say good on her. I mean, you're assuming a lot of things about the lady. Why not read it herself? Maybe that was the next thing she was going to do, you don't know. Why not look it up online? Well, she's doing that, clearly. We don't know she's not also looking at other sites. I mean, look up the Eye of the World on google, and amazon is the first result that actually pertains to the book.
I agree with you like, 99.9% of the time, but I just can't understand why either of you are so worked up over this lady asking a question about a book.

M

makare

If you mean me I am not worked up about it. I am a little mystified myself why someone asking questions about a book her kid will read was met with such hostility. I like to see parents doing that too. I'd like to see it more with video games. I work for a company that deals in video games and I sometimes get angry calls from parents about a game they rented being too violent. Well why didnt they learn about it first? Can't say that though.

Here's my actual random thing- there is some kind of sticky substance in my fridge that looks and is sticky just like honey. Honey has never been in my fridge. For the life of me I can't figure out what it could be.

M

makare

I also found the barbecue sauce I made back in september. it looked exactly the same. i dont know how long bbq is supposed to last but i tossed it.

If you mean me I am not worked up about it. I am a little mystified myself why someone asking questions about a book her kid will read was met with such hostility. I like to see parents doing that too. I'd like to see it more with video games. I work for a company that deals in video games and I sometimes get angry calls from parents about a game they rented being too violent. Well why didnt they learn about it first? Can't say that though.
You're right.

I got so focused on what it was she was asking about that I didn't take a moment to consider the fact that she was asking in the first place. A good parent should be involved and while I still think she should look over the material, there isn't harm in asking about it. Honestly, my mom should've done a little looking and asking before handing me books, and while I can say she was busy getting two jobs to make ends meet after my dad left, for all I know this woman has a situation just as time-consuming and stressful and is just trying to get some quick info before tossing a book to her kid.

I'm sorry I was taking shots at you earlier in the thread; it was uncalled for and you didn't deserve it.

AND I'm sorry to others because I keep derailing the fucking Random thread. I post stuff here that I think "no one's going to care about or reply to this, so I'll drop it here rather than clutter up an important thread" and then it turns into this kind of shit.

M

makare

I don't think you can really derail this thread.. it is meant to be random right?

And I am sorry it got less than civil as well. But I will not group hug.. that.

I wont even hand shake that...