I would never. Nor would I ever beat @ewokpenis

But we are dangerously low on Diet Coke and she's almost home from the Yukon...

I would never. Nor would I ever beat @ewokpenis

But we are dangerously low on Diet Coke and she's almost home from the Yukon...
I'm in Vancouver!!! Getting there!

Miss you. Love you. Do we have enough diet coke to get me through tomorrow?[DOUBLEPOST=1444152246,1444151955][/DOUBLEPOST]
image.jpg

I can't say I'm too upset. Once they started doing segments on the best DraftKing team, that really annoyed me. I can't say why, as I don't mind fantasy talk. I guess the fact that it was explicitly tied to a brand is what did it.

About a month ago, I found a guy on Reddit who was showing signs of mental illness, possibly schizophrenia. He would repeatedly post an image showing a series of numbers, and claim that there was a distinctive pattern in the numbers. When asked to clarify the image, he'd say it's pretty self-evident.

About a week or two ago, I found his account was no longer active, and the image of the numbers was deleted from imgur. "Huh, cool," I thought, "looks like he might've given up, and maybe he even got the psychiatric help he needed!"

Today I came across him in his new account. Still posting the same stuff.

I do not know who this person is. I don't even know if he's really a he. This particular individual is a complete stranger to me. And yet I am saddened that he is not receiving the help he needs.

This (the Draft Kings/FanDuel thing) might be the death knell of those instant fantasy leagues. I just hope that pols don't take out fantasy football and rotisserie leagues with them.

I can keep that promise @Bubble101 because I'll never win one. I'm likely leaving academia after this postdoc, and I am not nearly bright enough to come up with a ground breaking idea. It's still super cool for UNC though. Oliver Smithies (another winner) is in my wife's building.

I can keep that promise @Bubble101 because I'll never win one. I'm likely leaving academia after this postdoc, and I am not nearly bright enough to come up with a ground breaking idea. It's still super cool for UNC though. Oliver Smithies (another winner) is in my wife's building.
Tagging @Bubble181 to notify.

--Patrick

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...girls_and_women_is_difficult_to_diagnose.html

Wow, I always say that I see so many reflections of myself in my son with autism, and a lot of times I say that he is me if I had been born male, but this article basically hits everything I've been saying. Specifically:

I also met a teenage girl with autism who was highly intelligent. Because she could not relate to the other girls at her high school, she began interacting exclusively with boys, whose social behaviors she found easier to imitate. She even went through a period of wanting to become a boy, reasoning that she might have more success navigating the social world as a male.
(Except for the wanting to be a boy part)

Some researchers theorize that girls are better than boys at camouflaging their symptoms, particularly during highly structured interactions such as clinic visits. For instance, a colleague of mine described girls with autism as “caricatures” in social interactions. These girls may be motivated to interact, but their behaviors seem exaggerated.

Cajungal

Staff member
There's a gas leak right across the street from work. They're not allowing anyone to use their cars. Good thing I walked! I grabbed my stuff and ran home.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...girls_and_women_is_difficult_to_diagnose.html

Wow, I always say that I see so many reflections of myself in my son with autism, and a lot of times I say that he is me if I had been born male, but this article basically hits everything I've been saying. Specifically:

(Except for the wanting to be a boy part)
I'm the same way. I'm much better at social interactions with men or other geeky women. If I have to interact with "normal" women for an extended period on my own, I get anxiety attacks. I have no idea what to say or how to interact with them.

When they went through the list of symptoms/behaviors for my son's autism diagnosis, many of them could have described me. I don't think I have enough ticky boxes to get an actual spot on the spectrum, but I'm probably close.