This has been going on since the first time someone named a ship. I'm not surprised in the slightest and it's probably good for morale any time the machine ISN'T about to be killed.

EDIT: See, I just did it too! It should be "destroyed" not "killed".
I think of "destroyed" and "killed" as two different levels of ceasing to function. Killed would be, it is unable to function, but still recognizable as the machine that it is. Destroyed is complete dismantling and not retaining any of the form of what it once was. Kind of like comparing "shot to death" versus "atomized."

Put collars with bells on them on all three cats yesterday, got three very different reactions:

1. I make sounds now! Yay!
2. I will adapt human, and I will not forget this insult.
3. Get this !#$!@#!@%!#$%!@$ thing off me !@$%#@%^@%^@#^!
This reminds me of when we put a collar on my cat Batmanuel. We discovered early on that cats truly can have a conniption, and we were so horrified by how he responded that we took it off of him right away.

So my mother in law comes over and asks where his collar is. We explain to her that it was the most horrific thing we'd seen and we weren't putting a collar on him. She says "Oh, he'll get used to it, here, I'll put it back on him." and she proceeds to do so.

Twenty seconds later she looked horrified and said "Oh, oh please take it off him!"

iTunes Radio was launched yesterday. It's Apple's version of Pandora. Here's one of the stations I've put together. Started with Chameleon by Herbie Hancock and Teen Town by Weather Report, then added a few other tracks I gave thumbs up to on the Pandora version.

(You'll need to have the latest iTunes to use the link.)

Hey, it's International Talk Like A Pirate Day!

"Boy, I can't believe we finally had a winning season this year! I hope the fans don't expect us to go far in the playoffs, though..."

iTunes Radio was launched yesterday. It's Apple's version of Pandora. Here's one of the stations I've put together. Started with Chameleon by Herbie Hancock and Teen Town by Weather Report, then added a few other tracks I gave thumbs up to on the Pandora version.

(You'll need to have the latest iTunes to use the link.)
Does it play KISS on every channel like Pandora does? Seriously, they came up on John Prine (singer-songwriter, folk legend) and on a Zydeco channel... /wtf?

Does it play KISS on every channel like Pandora does? Seriously, they came up on John Prine (singer-songwriter, folk legend) and on a Zydeco channel... /wtf?
For me it's Coldplay. Doesn't matter what seed I choose, Pandora will eventually try and shove some Coldplay down my throat.

--Patrick

My husbands work got a bomb threat yesterday.

On the one hand, I feel like 'Really...really?'

and on the other hand...I'm actually terrified something might happen.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I had a dream last night that included someone from this forum.

@Charlie Don't Surf - you don't happen to be an anonymous female bestselling book author, do you?

That was one weird dream.

I had a dream last night that included someone from this forum.

@Charlie Don't Surf - you don't happen to be an anonymous female bestselling book author, do you?

That was one weird dream.
I fucking wish[DOUBLEPOST=1379610171,1379610090][/DOUBLEPOST]
My husbands work got a bomb threat yesterday.

On the one hand, I feel like 'Really...really?'

and on the other hand...I'm actually terrified something might happen.
I went through this working for the IRS. I was in Austin when that guy flew a plane into an IRS office. In a different building, but still was kind of wonky. What made me feel better is that most of the time people that are gonna do something like that don't make threats, they just do it.

And also the whole thing - if they just got a threat, they'll be on high alert

The State of the University Address is happening just a few floors down from me. I am considering going but I wonder that I can actually justify it; I could easily just listen to it as it's being broadcast online, and I'm neither a student nor a staff member whose project is being affected by the budget cuts, so I haven't really got cause to stay after the Address and join the Q&A.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ah mah gah! I got blindsided - folks, don't do a google image search for "wonderjock." It won't show you incredible athletes. It will show you large male genitals in tighty whiteys.

GasBandit

Staff member
You never played sports growing up did you?
Shotput. Not exactly high contact. But even on top of that, "wonderjock" didn't exist back then. Hell, WonderBra had barely been invented, and was still more of a joke than anything.

Now that I've googled them, I can also say

1) the company is australian, so I would also have been on the wrong side of the planet, and
2) this product was introduced in 2006... WELL past my "sports playing" days, and
3) it's not an athletic supporter, it's just special underwear that makes your junk stick out forward. IE, what I spent my entire school life trying to prevent/hide, is now apparently the goal of this underwear.

Ah, forgot about that one.

Apparently there's a brand of concealed-carry underwear by that name out there, too. I remember seeing something about it a couple years back, somewhere...

Shotput. Not exactly high contact. But even on top of that, "wonderjock" didn't exist back then. Hell, WonderBra had barely been invented, and was still more of a joke than anything.
But I read the work "jock" in there and the first thing I thought was something to do with the athletic support angle. I'm still mostly a 10-year old in my head, so "jock" makes me giggle inside.

GasBandit

Staff member
But I read the work "jock" in there and the first thing I thought was something to do with the athletic support angle. I'm still mostly a 10-year old in my head, so "jock" makes me giggle inside.
In radio, a Jock is a common synonym for DJ, or disc JOCKey.

WTF is up with all the billboards for music stations showing me what the DJ's look like? If I wanted to look at them I would watch TV!

That was my line of thinking. Jock meant garment for your genitals to hide in.

Apparently Stephen King made a sequel to "The Shining" where the kid is all grown up and finds people with powers similar to them. I can only assume that he also fights people with powers similar to him while struggling to live in a world THAT HATES AND FEARS THEM!

A package I ordered from Dayton, Ohio took 10 God damn days to get from Dayton to Mississauga, Ontario. 10 fucking days! That's 10 days to travel 400 miles. It could have gotten there in the same amount of time if it were walking. I know what you're thinking, customs right? Nope, it didn't enter customs' care until the 10th day.

When I order stuff from England it gets to me faster. Not just to Canada faster, to me.

God damn it USPS.

Last edited: