figmentPez

Staff member
Hey, it's International Talk Like A Pirate Day!

"Boy, I can't believe we finally had a winning season this year! I hope the fans don't expect us to go far in the playoffs, though..."
I'm a little late but:

"Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning. "

J. A. Raper sounds like a character from an 80s action comedy.
Or if you take out the periods, it sounds like some insanely misogynist rapper called JA Raper. And then logically later in his career it turns out he's just a gay guy. Man I can't wait for the new season of Boondocks.

Damn...that was a good anecdote. Just, damn. If I were soberer I would probably have better words to describe it, but still the strength of that woman it was just ....damn.

A package I ordered from Dayton, Ohio took 10 God damn days to get from Dayton to Mississauga, Ontario. 10 fucking days! That's 10 days to travel 400 miles. It could have gotten there in the same amount of time if it were walking. I know what you're thinking, customs right? Nope, it didn't enter customs' care until the 10th day.

When I order stuff from England it gets to me faster. Not just to Canada faster, to me.

God damn it USPS.
One fucking day after it clears customs in Mississauga and it's at my doorstep. That's a little under 48 hours for it to go from Mississauga, Ontario to the sorting center in Edmonton, to a delivery truck, to my house. Grand journey of 3500 (just under 2200 miles) kilometers in less than 2 days.

Shame on you USPS.

GasBandit

Staff member
So my first clue that the refrigerator was about to konk out was I poured myself a glass of soda and it near-instantly crystallized into slush. It was kinda cool though... instant slushie.

I'm at the same time cringing and trying not to laugh.

My wife offered to help out a work friend's niece in doing her mission, so now she's sitting in the living room talking with four teenagers about Mormonism, trying not to let on that she's a pagan.

Man, she is grilling them, and they're handling it well. I have to say, from what I'm eavesdropping on, Mormonism sounds a lot nicer than Catholicism, Calvinist, Lutheran ... pretty much every other brand of Christianity I'm overly familiar with.

I was raised Roman Catholic, I wouldn't suggest it to my worst enemies. I had my bad teenage moment when during easter I was forced to go to confession. The priest asked me what I had to confess and I told him something along the lines, "religion to me is a non point, I don't care if there is a god or no god, I have nothing to confess. I have made some mistakes, but I am not going to feel bad because I am not choosing to do evil, I try my best every day and sometimes I end up doing things I regret, but I learn from my mistakes and try to move on from them." The priest just kind of smiled at me, I got screamed at by my teachers for being an obstinate little shit. This lead to my coming out as an atheist to my parents, who have come to accept me for who I am, but it was rocky going to a catholic school and being an atheist. I realize that sounds silly, just my thoughts as an aside.

Edit: sorry for the bad english skills, I tired to fix it up a bit

Last edited:
Mormons can't drink alcohol though.
grandpa-simpson-gif.gif

:p

My wife and I don't drink anyway due to parents with alcoholism issues, but I'm not converting regardless. Everyone has to do what feels right to them, not what someone tells them they should be. If a person feels right as a Christian (of whatever sect), be that. Muslim. Atheist. So on and so on. I'm a pagan because that's what makes sense for me. My wife is and has been longer than me, but I wouldn't try to stop her if she felt something else made more sense to her.[DOUBLEPOST=1379809314,1379809009][/DOUBLEPOST]
I was raised Roman Catholic, I wouldn't suggest it to my worst enemies. I had my bad teenage moment when during easter I was forced to go to confession and the priest asked me what I had to confess and I told him something along the lines, "religion to me is a non point, I don't care if there is a god or no god, I have nothing to confess. I have made some mistakes, but I am not going to going to feel bad because I am not choosing to do evil, I try my best every day and sometimes I end up doing things I regret, but I learn from my mistakes and try to move on from them." The priest just kind of smiled at me, I screamed at by my teachers for being an obstinate little shit. This lead to my coming out as an atheist to my parents, who have come to accept me for who I am, but it was rocky going to a catholic school and being an atheist. I realize that sounds silly, just my thoughts as an aside.
See, I think a good priest would smile in that situation and accept that's what you say and feel. I'd written a character like that at one point.

You had more guts than me. I didn't come out to my mom because I was scared. As an adult I look back and realize I shouldn't have been, my mother wouldn't have thrown me out over being an atheist at the time, and then an agnostic, and it probably would've gotten me out of going to church before my mother stopped going when my little brother died. But I certainly would've heard a shitstorm over it from one of her sisters.

Coffee, alcohol, tea, and tobacco are out specifically, and a lot of Mormons culturally don't drink caffeinated drinks, but there's no prohibition against caffeine, and many members of our church drink it anyway. Also the rules against these things don't prohibit them if medically necessary.
I think this is the first overt statement of your affiliation, @stienman (that I've seen, anyway. And I've been watching).

--Patrick

Yeah. I saw someone else call you out, but I'd never seen you state/confirm anything (here).
Yer gonna wanna update the progeny section of the wiki, though. It still says only 5.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I was friends with several mormons as a kid. In high school it was always funny to annoy one of them in particular in Carmageddon multiplayer and hear him almost-curse. "Freak you you freakin stupid piece-a crap gosh dangit!" And then he'd fall victim to the tongue twister when the game awarded them a "Cunning Stunt Bonus" JUST as his mom walked in.

Also, that particular guy's older sister managed to get excommunicated, only person I ever met who had been. Or at least that told me about it.

I always knew stienman was a mormon. He's never been secretive about it.
Right. But was surprised at how I only ever saw one person make an issue of it. I mean, it's a target, an easy chain to pull, and yet even in the darkest depths of the argumenta ad hominem, I only saw it raised once.
In other news, I have found a new route to work that cuts about a mile and a half off the trip. I also discovered that part of this route unexpectedly drops the speed limit from 45 to 25 for about half a mile.

ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

--Patrick

Right. But was surprised at how I only ever saw one person make an issue of it. I mean, it's a target, an easy chain to pull, and yet even in the darkest depths of the argumenta ad hominem, I only saw it raised once.
--Patrick
I like to think that we're all pretty civil here. If I'm going to give stienman shit (and I have, we've clashed in idologies in the past) it's going to be about specific disagreements, not religion. Unless it's a discussion -about- religion, or directly influenced by it, and most discussions around here aren't those.

there is not polite way to say this, as far as conservative christians go I have interacted with in my life, I really like Steinman. why? he is one of the few that doesn't seem to spend every waking moment shoving his world view down the throat of everyone who is not like him. I am not saying this kind of view pushing is unique only to christians, I figure I have just had bad luck with it being someone raised in a liberal catholic household who ended up as a moderate atheist.