At the age of 34, I am finally getting my driver's license. I've had my learner's forever and took my lessons when I was like 18 or 19, failed the in-car test, got embarrassed/cranky and just never bothered. It's been an inconvenience but overall I haven't needed to drive. It's past the point I learn, though, and I'm now a little embarrassed that I don't.
I have failed the in-car test -6- times. It's not because I don't know how to drive... I drive very well. It's because when I've got some weird judgemental cop about 2 feet away from me, it tweaks my anxiety, they pick up on that, and proceed to fail me. "You need to be more relaxed behind the wheel." Fuck you. I'm a fine driver, the problem is YOU are in the car.

I have failed the in-car test -6- times. It's not because I don't know how to drive... I drive very well. It's because when I've got some weird judgemental cop about 2 feet away from me, it tweaks my anxiety, they pick up on that, and proceed to fail me. "You need to be more relaxed behind the wheel." Fuck you. I'm a fine driver, the problem is YOU are in the car.
That sucks, I'm sorry.

I definitely deserved to fail. I was (still am) a daydreamer and would be lost in my own thoughts when I was not driving with the instructor but with someone else. During the test I turned into the oncoming lane after a left-turn, fortunately on an empty street. I'm much better about concentrating now and feel pretty comfortable, but I do have a tickle at the back of my head that worries I'll be daydreaming while driving.

I feel like spending any significant amount of time around someone who is a "1" would be a +1 modifier to my position on this scale.

--Patrick

View attachment 41682

Found this today.
Available here: https://emmengard.com/2019/05/07/suicide-scale/

I realize that I live pretty much at a 4, and that's with drugs and therapy.

Thought this might be a useful tool for others here, since the usual 1-10 mood scale that shrinks use is rather useless.
I have only found the Hamilton Depression inventory to be helpful when it comes to scales that track my depression. On this, though, def a regular 5 with drugs, little added salt from 7 some days.

I learned 30+ years ago not to use electric razors to shave my neck. I got tired of using clippers to shave my head, so I bought a really expensive electric razor to shave my head. The directions said that they were good for a facial shave too. NOPE! Now I am sitting here with a well shaved head and major fucking razor burn on my neck.

Last edited:
Ended the day at one of my usual haunts at the Misconduct Tavern, where due to some tech nonsense the credit readers weren't working, so they offered us old school credit checks instead...and a-NOTHER regular actually had the gall to say "Well what's my reassurance that it'll be transferred properly?" YOU ARE A REGULAR! What regular is going to accuse their bar of choice of FRAUD after several terms of faithful service?

But later, me, she, and the bartender had a laugh about the braggart comedian who left with a half-full beer, so alls well that ends well.

Is WeiHeng pronounced "we hang"? Because that would be hysterical, for the manufacturer of a hanging scale.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
PSA: If you order a frozen custard from DoorDash in the summertime, what you get is a milkshake.
I am terrified my shipment of protein bars is going to get home today before I do. If I don't grab it immediately, what I get is 3 boxes (18 per box) of melted-reformed bags of chocolate flakes with a wafer sticking out one end that is the messiest thing possible to try to eat, even after you refreeze them.

PSA: If you order a frozen custard from DoorDash in the summertime, what you get is a milkshake.
Yeah, don't order ice cream during the summer from anywhere less than a mile from your place through apps, half the time you get someone NOT equipped to keep cold drinks cold, most of the time slobs like me on bikes who have to have visible conformation on anything liquid, as keeping it in our bags without going spill city is nigh-impossible.

Yeah, don't order ice cream during the summer from anywhere less than a mile from your place through apps, half the time you get someone NOT equipped to keep cold drinks cold, most of the time slobs like me on bikes who have to have visible conformation on anything liquid, as keeping it in our bags without going spill city is nigh-impossible.
Pretty sure we don't have many biking DoorDasher's here. The city's just not bike friendly. I don't even see people riding bikes for fun. That said, I've only ever ran into one dasher that had a hot/cold bag. I gave them extra money at the door.

Pretty sure we don't have many biking DoorDasher's here. The city's just not bike friendly. I don't even see people riding bikes for fun. That said, I've only ever ran into one dasher that had a hot/cold bag. I gave them extra money at the door.
Jesus, really?! The hot/cold bag thing, not the bikes, that's just unprofessional....also, their in CARS and its melted?!

I'd say try your luck with grubhub, but its almost just as nonsensical.

Texas, y'all. It hit 100 degrees here today.

And yeah, my bars got here an hour before I did. Individual packets of chocolate soup with wafer croutons >_<
me in January having canned carbonated drinks delivered at 1 pm and I don't get off until 10 pm, man that was a lot of popped tops.

Jesus, it's mostly hovered just below 20 C (68 F) these days. Usually lower. Some days have been cool enough that I regret not wearing a jacket or long pants or something to bike to work.

As I've learned more about climates and climate change, I have to wonder what causes places like Texas or Nevada to get so hot. Those are kind of desert areas, right? Not a lot of green space? So not a lot of green space to absorb the heat. And I'm on a coastal area, which probably keeps things cooler (but also a LOT more humid, which can make things feel hotter).

Jesus, it's mostly hovered just below 20 C (68 F) these days. Usually lower. Some days have been cool enough that I regret not wearing a jacket or long pants or something to bike to work.

As I've learned more about climates and climate change, I have to wonder what causes places like Texas or Nevada to get so hot. Those are kind of desert areas, right? Not a lot of green space? So not a lot of green space to absorb the heat. And I'm on a coastal area, which probably keeps things cooler (but also a LOT more humid, which can make things feel hotter).
Speaking for where I am in Texas, we have miles upon miles of mixed forests. I’m in Eastern Texas, about and hour from the Louisiana border and about 2 hours north of the Gulf of Mexico. Temps can be anywhere from 85f to 100f for typical daylight summer days. It’s this way from around mid-May to early October. Followed this pattern since I’ve lived in this part of the state since 1974. Of course, it feels hotter now than it did when I was 10. Main variant to how it actually feels is humidity, ranges from 45% relative humidity to 95%+. We had some temps around 95f in early May, but humidity was on the low side so it felt fine. Yesterday air temp was around 92f, but humidity was around 85% and nothing felt good at all, soaked with sweat within 20 minutes.

I can’t speak for Texas, but where my parents live it’s exactly what you think of when you hear the word “desert.” Nothing but scrub brush and dirt for miles and miles. So yes, that probably has a lot to do with the heat. But I can’t tell you if it’s devoid of green because of the heat, or if the lack of green causes the heat.

Speaking for where I am in Texas, we have miles upon miles of mixed forests. I’m in Eastern Texas, about and hour from the Louisiana border and about 2 hours north of the Gulf of Mexico. Temps can be anywhere from 85f to 100f for typical daylight summer days. It’s this way from around mid-May to early October. Followed this pattern since I’ve lived in this part of the state since 1974. Of course, it feels hotter now than it did when I was 10. Main variant to how it actually feels is humidity, ranges from 45% relative humidity to 95%+. We had some temps around 95f in early May, but humidity was on the low side so it felt fine. Yesterday air temp was around 92f, but humidity was around 85% and nothing felt good at all, soaked with sweat within 20 minutes.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply there isn't ANY green space. But I'm so used to vast Canadian forests up here. It probably doesn't compare, but I didn't assume Texas didn't have any at all.

GasBandit

Staff member
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply there isn't ANY green space. But I'm so used to vast Canadian forests up here. It probably doesn't compare, but I didn't assume Texas didn't have any at all.
Northern Texas is mostly open plains. West Texas becomes red desert rather quickly. East and Southeast Texas are, as Sparhawk said, varying degrees of forest and scrublands - but most of Texas, while not technically desert, is indeed rather arid - and the parts that aren't are considered on the more tropical and humid end of the subtropical zone.

So, that's part of why is it so hot in Texas, along with because we're so much closer to the equator. We get a lot more sun for a lot more of the year, and generally when we get wind from the Gulf of Mexico it's hot wind (I've heard it said that the Gulf is like a simmering skillet)... and as Sparhawk also referenced, that makes us rather humid as well. Heat and humidity combined are absolute killers - the heat index around here generally makes it "feel" 5 degrees hotter than it actually is during the day and as many as 15 degrees higher at night.

TLDR: We're Florida without the cooling ocean breeze.

1654653625352.png

Last edited: