Sometimes...I swear, once a week or so I'm moving to an alternate universe where some basic fact is just suddenly different.
oh, I know, you're thinking of the Berenstain/stein thingie.
While similar, I'm still talking about something different. I will give an example.
Today, it was announced to get quite warm here. So I got the fans back out of the basement, cleaned them a bit, etc. Now, all the fans (ventilators, whatever) in our house have remotes. And all of these remotes take batteries. To avoid batteries leaking and to conserve them a bit, I take the batteries out of the remotes at the end of the season and plug them back in next spring. So, I go to get the batteries I have for the fans.
This isn't some I'm-not-paying-attention-and-grab-whatever-is-near thing: I have a baggie clearly labelled "FAN REMOTE BATTERIES" with all the batteries I removed in my drawer. And because you're always told not to mix and match batteries, I even have them tied together with elastic bands per 2 or 3, depending on the remote.
In this bag are ALL AA batteries.
I am now trying to fit these batteries back into the remotes, and while they do, indeed, take 2, 2 and 3 batteries....They're ALL AAA.

What? How?! Did gnomes replace the batteries in my desk drawer? Is someone playing a trick on me? But....Literally nobody but me knew those batteries were there. My wife doesn't know or care, if asked she'd probably assume I used new batteries, or, if I kept them, that I'd put them with my DIY supplies or with the fans or with the other batteries - not randomly in my office desk drawer.

Now here I have a bunch of batteries which come from I DONT KNOW WHERE, I have no idea if or how much they've been used, and I don't have enough AAAs to put in all the remotes.

:aaah: :aaah:
Meanwhile I've never seen a fan with a remote. So this is clearly European witchcraft that you just screwed up the summoning of

Meanwhile I've never seen a fan with a remote. So this is clearly European witchcraft that you just screwed up the summoning of
Regular fans usually don't have one here; tower/column/whatever-you-call-them tend to come with a remote.

I mean something like this (random internet picture, not mine):
1652710999825.png

I've never seen a fan with a remote.
This year we put in a window fan that operates via Bluetooth. It's in a window that is difficult to access, so this makes things more convenient. More importantly, it means that my father-in-law can't mess with it when we're not looking.

--Patrick

Regular fans usually don't have one here; tower/column/whatever-you-call-them tend to come with a remote.

I mean something like this (random internet picture, not mine):
View attachment 41517
Oh ok, I typically don't think of these things as 'fans' even though that's still what they are. Of course here we really only use box fans for when the AC goes out, because it's too hot and humid in Florida to rely on fans instead of AC

Oh ok, I typically don't think of these things as 'fans' even though that's still what they are. Of course here we really only use box fans for when the AC goes out, because it's too hot and humid in Florida to rely on fans instead of AC
Yeah, fans are nice for some in-between temperatures but there really comes a time when just moving air around doesn't cut it anymore; I'd guess that' about February-November in Florida :-P

(I've been in Florida exactly one time and it was snowing at the time, so it's definitely not all year every year! :awesome: )

GasBandit

Staff member
Sometimes...I swear, once a week or so I'm moving to an alternate universe where some basic fact is just suddenly different.
oh, I know, you're thinking of the Berenstain/stein thingie.
While similar, I'm still talking about something different. I will give an example.
Today, it was announced to get quite warm here. So I got the fans back out of the basement, cleaned them a bit, etc. Now, all the fans (ventilators, whatever) in our house have remotes. And all of these remotes take batteries. To avoid batteries leaking and to conserve them a bit, I take the batteries out of the remotes at the end of the season and plug them back in next spring. So, I go to get the batteries I have for the fans.
This isn't some I'm-not-paying-attention-and-grab-whatever-is-near thing: I have a baggie clearly labelled "FAN REMOTE BATTERIES" with all the batteries I removed in my drawer. And because you're always told not to mix and match batteries, I even have them tied together with elastic bands per 2 or 3, depending on the remote.
In this bag are ALL AA batteries.
I am now trying to fit these batteries back into the remotes, and while they do, indeed, take 2, 2 and 3 batteries....They're ALL AAA.

What? How?! Did gnomes replace the batteries in my desk drawer? Is someone playing a trick on me? But....Literally nobody but me knew those batteries were there. My wife doesn't know or care, if asked she'd probably assume I used new batteries, or, if I kept them, that I'd put them with my DIY supplies or with the fans or with the other batteries - not randomly in my office desk drawer.

Now here I have a bunch of batteries which come from I DONT KNOW WHERE, I have no idea if or how much they've been used, and I don't have enough AAAs to put in all the remotes.

:aaah: :aaah:
I had a moment like this a week or two ago. My front porch lights burned out within a year of me moving in here. No big, when I first moved in a lot of light bulbs were dead and I bought a lot of LED bulbs to replace them with plenty of spares left over to continue replacing other CFL/Incandescent lights with LED bulbs as needed when they burned out. So, I know for a fact I've already replaced my porch light bulbs with LED bulbs.

A couple weeks ago, the porch lights burned out again. This irritated me greatly, as one of the selling points of LED bulbs is "they don't burn out for years and years and years, last like 20 times longer than incandescent, and that's why they cost 20 times as much" etc.

So I grumpily got my stepladder to get up, unscrew the porch light diffuser, and...

I find incandescent bulbs there.

And not just incandescent bulbs, special, extra expensive insect-repellent incandescent bulbs that I have NEVER BOUGHT IN MY LIFE and certainly were not in place the first time I changed out these bulbs.

Wha?

How?

Did one of my neighbors freakin GET ON A STEPLADDER on my front porch, with a screwdriver, and swap out their incandescent bulbs for my LED bulbs? Why? How would they even know I had LED bulbs? I have cameras on my front porch aimed exactly at that spot and never caught anything! Of course, I wasn't really LOOKING but still!

Much more believable to conclude I have been transported into a parallel timeline where I never swapped out the bulbs for LED on the porch, and the previous owner's fancy insect-repelling bulbs lasted 3 years past my moving in.

GasBandit

Staff member
They DO look different. Most of them, anyway.
Personally, I blame the wasps.

--Patrick
I should also point out that my "porch" is sheltered from view from the street by my garage. So it would have had to have been someone who came to my door for some other reason, noted "hmm, this guy has LED BULBS on his porch!" and came back later to magpie them.

Much more believable to conclude I have been transported into a parallel timeline where I never swapped out the bulbs for LED on the porch, and the previous owner's fancy insect-repelling bulbs lasted 3 years past my moving in.
Which seems more believable, old man? Dimension hopping or dementia ;)

As the head of my department, I'm in charge of scheduling and running our monthly meetings.

I scheduled a meeting for today. I planned it for 2pm. I had a bit of a busy morning so I needed to rush to get the agenda typed up before 2pm. But I got it done. At 2pm, I logged onto the meeting room. No one's there.

I checked the meeting message I sent to everyone again. The meeting's actually scheduled for 4pm.

I'm starting to suspect I'm not cut out for this whole "head of department" business.

As the head of my department, I'm in charge of scheduling and running our monthly meetings.

I scheduled a meeting for today. I planned it for 2pm. I had a bit of a busy morning so I needed to rush to get the agenda typed up before 2pm. But I got it done. At 2pm, I logged onto the meeting room. No one's there.

I checked the meeting message I sent to everyone again. The meeting's actually scheduled for 4pm.

I'm starting to suspect I'm not cut out for this whole "head of department" business.
Much better than the other way around.

And I think it's weird you guys don't know oubliettes, they're a perfectly normal thing and I've known both the thing and the name for it since at least when I was eight.

I'd heard of oubliettes before and knew they were part of a castle and probably had to do with the dungeon, but didn't remember that they specifically have their entryway in the ceiling.

I took an online course tonight so I can (legally) help out/coach at any of my son's sports. The guy hosting the course sounds EXACTLY like Patton Oswalt. 3 hours of my brain, screaming, "I, M.O.D.O.K., will teach you sports safety!".

...I can't believe they allow me to be in charge of kids. Now, legally!

Upkeep, man.

I have a robot vacuum, but still clean the floors twice a week, and today somehow ended up being both washrooms and vacuum and mop day and I tired. So close to finish line.