[Webcomic] The Order of the Stick thread

Right? I've been thinking that the heroes are simply there to annoy the villains while the villains get knocked off by more powerful enemies.

Is there something between Laurin and Malack that I might have missed? She seems to be taking Malack's death quite hard.. a whole lot harder that Tarquin, in fact.

Is there something between Laurin and Malack that I might have missed? She seems to be taking Malack's death quite hard.. a whole lot harder that Tarquin, in fact.
I don't think her reaction is any different from a good friend. Though Tsukiko certainly would have been all over him.

Maybe it's just me, but this feels like an unneeded complication to an already large story. At this point, shouldn't the story be focused on the gates, not a side quest?

Don't get me wrong. As Pat said above, this is totally in character for Tarquin. He wants the Order under his control whether they like it or not. I just see this as an unneeded additional complication to an already large, sprawling, complicated story. I'm still willing to wait and see how it plays out, of course.

Maybe it's just me, but this feels like an unneeded complication to an already large story. At this point, shouldn't the story be focused on the gates, not a side quest?

Don't get me wrong. As Pat said above, this is totally in character for Tarquin. He wants the Order under his control whether they like it or not. I just see this as an unneeded additional complication to an already large, sprawling, complicated story. I'm still willing to wait and see how it plays out, of course.
On one hand, yes. On the other hand, it seems to me a way to get rid of the joke-y "mirror image but not quite" Linear Guild and replace them with villains /other actors in the story with a more credible/serious back story, and set up a whole new set of events and stories.

I mean, staying focussed on the main story isn't exactly what OotS is known for. While not as bad as Goblins, we did have, what, half a year of raising-Roy, half a year of hanging-around-Azure-city, a year or more of "just going through a maze". It's perfectly possible we'll have a year of getting-to-the-next-spot-while-dealing-with-Hayley's-dad mixed with some Durkon evolution. Makes sense, given the time spent with Roy and his father while we got V's evolution. Elan's dad already in the picture, and Belkar's had some character development.

That's the thing about Tarquin, though. He thinks the story is about him, and doesn't get the big picture. He thought this business with Girard's gate was just a side quest.

EDIT: This is how I think they'll ultimately defeat Tarquin: make him understand his insignificance.

That's the thing about Tarquin, though. He thinks the story is about him, and doesn't get the big picture. He thought this business with Girard's gate was just a side quest.

EDIT: This is how I think they'll ultimately defeat Tarquin: make him understand his insignificance.
He's so vain, he probably thinks this strip is about him?

Dunno. I saw it as an opportunity on Tarquin's part. Much like the Choice the infernals gave V, Tarquin is probably counting on the heroes not being able to spare the time to go after Ian. Tarquin wants to control this world. I doubt he has designs on any other at this point. He has a plan, and it works well for him, and he is sticking to it. He will not turn down opportunities which present themselves, though.

--Patrick

You know, Elan, this would probably be a pretty good time to use that rapier of yours for something other than decorative purposes.

Just sayin'.

You know, Elan, this would probably be a pretty good time to use that rapier of yours for something other than decorative purposes.

Just sayin'.
It WOULD be the perfect way to end Tarquin: he finally gets his son to kill him, but Elan does it so quietly and undramatically that it completely ruins the scene and thus the story. He could bleed to death in the middle of a desert, unwanted and unremembered by the people who used to fear him. It would be the PERFECT way for his story to end.

figmentPez

Staff member
It WOULD be the perfect way to end Tarquin: he finally gets his son to kill him, but Elan does it so quietly and undramatically that it completely ruins the scene and thus the story. He could bleed to death in the middle of a desert, unwanted and unremembered by the people who used to fear him. It would be the PERFECT way for his story to end.
Unless Elan managed to kill him outright, I'm pretty sure that one of Tarquin's underlings would put a stop to that.

I've been reading some of the older comics and I think that before Elan can kill his father he's going to have to reveal what his master plan was for dealing with him. Just after departing Bleedingham, while they are waiting for Durkon to retrieve V from the Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing, Elan informs Roy that he figured out a great way to confront his father. However to make sure it works he decides not to impart this information to anyone but Durkon who is necessary for the plot (because that's how all the best plans in fiction are done). Yeah I could find the comic and link it, but I'd just rather write out a description and let you guys find it on your own.

Dave

Staff member
Most of the guys he's fighting are low-level fodder. High level characters make these fodder their proverbial bitches.

Most of the guys he's fighting are low-level fodder. High level characters make these fodder their proverbial bitches.
Yeah, he's basically nailing a ton of guys at once thanks to his Great Cleave feat and his rather bad ass sword. At the higher levels, this is about the only thing a Fighter is good for.