[Webcomic] The Order of the Stick thread

North_Ranger

Staff member
Gotta say, that's some nice Great Cleavage on that raptor AND its mount.

EDIT: Le sigh.. The one time I have a half-decent joke... ;)

That was probably the most heroic thing Elan's ever said.
Only due to the circumstances.

I actually find it quite touching that Tarquin wants nothing but the best for his son (even if it does have a touch of Yellowbeard about it). I'm sure Tarquin's story would be quite entertaining to tell, though it might not be very "heroic" (in the traditional sense).

--Patrick

Necronic

Staff member
So wait, what was the archfiends goals in removing V here? They kept him from stopping roy from destroying the gate. Implying that they want the gates destroyed right? Which would imply that the destruction of the gates doesn't instigate some existential crisis.

So wait, what was the archfiends goals in removing V here? They kept him from stopping roy from destroying the gate. Implying that they want the gates destroyed right? Which would imply that the destruction of the gates doesn't instigate some existential crisis.
Or maybe they do want an existential crisis, who knows what reasons they might have? Or perhaps they know a way to control the Snarl or absorb energy that might come free when the last gate blows up, it's anybody's guess really

I hate the overwhelming need to present any solution as a Deus Ex Machina.

Vaarsuvius has useful spells, thus using them is an unprecedented and unpredictable solution?

Finally a good use for Wall of Fire, though.

Yeah, this isn't a Deus Ex Machina... keeping V from casting their spells was (quite literally). If V had been there from the start, they'd have escaped right away instead of having to fight their way out.

I see Deus Ex Machinas as things that just come out of nowhere to solve a problem. V's entrance here was long expected and set up well.

I do hope they level up after this, very curious what Durkon will do. Does he have access to new skills now? And I'm also looking forward to how Elan and Belkar invest their points :p

I do hope they level up after this, very curious what Durkon will do. Does he have access to new skills now? And I'm also looking forward to how Elan and Belkar invest their points :p
I haven't seen them announce they have leveled up since after the first dungeon. But I know they have leveled up many times after that.

Well, Elan did learn that swashbuckler thingy at some point later on.. Unless he acquired that outside of leveling up?

My bad, I'm not that familiar with D&D, so I didn't know there were differences (and I didn't recall the exact name :p).

I like how even though all of "Tarkie's" people are on the deep side of the alignment pool, they have substantially different interpretations of how that rolls out. They're really not just a bunch of differently-classed meglomaniacs (besides Tarquin).

OOTS is 10!

Rich Burlew said:
Today is the Tenth Anniversary of The Order of the Stick. Which is pretty amazing, considering that when I started it, I had no intention of it being anything more than a momentary diversion. The comic has officially outlasted the game system that it was originally making fun of, and is on the verge of outlasting its replacement, too. There have been 921 strips so far, but somewhere north of 1400 pages of comic when you take into account multi-page strips and bonus stuff like the prequel books. It ran in Dragon Magazine until the end and now runs in Gygax Magazine. All in all, it’s been a pretty good run so far.

Normally, this would be where I would say that I’m just getting started, but that’s not really true. There’s still a lot of story to go, but we’re definitely on the back nine. My best guess on how much is left is about four years. When you factor in my scheduling deficiencies and my tendency to run long, though, who knows? What I do know is that there is a set amount of story that needs to be told, and I’ll continue to tell it until I’m done. I hope you all stay with me to see it to the end, too. And then maybe stick around for whatever’s next.

Thanks to all those who have supported OOTS over the last decade, regardless of the format that support may have taken. It is only because of the response from you that this story ever grew beyond a bunch of lame jokes about skill points. So if you like reading the story as it is now, pat yourself on the back for making it happen. Or pat each other on your respective backs, since that’s probably easier.