The not-so-serious but I want to rant thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Dave... that really blows. Do your kids help pay for their car insurance? My mom made me get a job so I could pay my share :p

W

Wasabi Poptart

I was never on my parents' insurance. I had my own car with my own insurance policy. I paid for both and my registration. Otherwise my car would have been taken away.

B

Biardo

AAAARGH

I really need some sleep, still the coffee seems to be working a bit

2 pages to go, then the abstract of a 1000 words and rereading 15 pages and I'm done

I hope so as well.

The worst part is I'm on a 'bland food' diet. I don't think I know how to cook bland food. -_- I'm a huge lover of spices.

If you are going to initiate a conversation, but then put zero effort into keeping it going, do us both a favor and not initiate the conversation.

I can get it if I was stupid enough to talk to you: I know you don't put any effort into interpersonal relations, so I would be setting myself up for disappointment if I said "Hi" to you out of nowhere. But why would you start a conversation you have no interest in? I'm trying to put myself in your shoes, and initiate a line of reasoning that would have as it's output "Send a message to Rob" and let me tell you: the task is downright maddening.

So after a lot of thinking and talking to myself, I think I've decided I want to go back to school. If I were to go out here in GA, I could apply for the HOPE grant which, depending on the school, would cover most if not all the cost (if I'm reading it right). At first I thought I wanted to do something with sound or art, but I know if I do I'll lose my love for both all over again, like I did with art school back in CA.

I think I've decided I want to become fluent in a foreign language. I had two years of German in high school (though I don't remember a lot) and it's very similar to English, so getting immersed in the language would be easy, and I did like speaking what little I knew. However I've also always wanted to learn Japanese (inb4 weeaboo), more because I'd love to tour the country and be able to make my own way as opposed to it being for a manga/anime/whatever reason. The problem is figuring out which I'd prefer to learn, and if it's possible to get this done out here. It seems GA Tech has a minor in both, but the other issue is what do I do if I learn one? Do I pair it with Economics (which it seems is a must for GT, though I didn't really understand that part), or do I see if I can get into some kind of translation gig? I know there's things like translating for games, which a friend of mine did back in art school.

I don't know, it's a big decision after a long line of mistakes (based on other big decisions of mine) so I am honestly terrified of continuing down this path. I know I want to do it, but I don't know if I'm 100% committed to it yet. I love language and I loved learning one (best grades and the German teachers told me I was consistently the top of the class in terms of picking up the language), so I think this is a good idea. I'm just scared is all, I guess.

I don't think HOPE alone will pay for GTech. idk what grants and stuff you can get, but place's expensive. I've heard that the german department here at UWG is quite decent, but nothing amazing. Also, learning Japanese will take you around the time it'd take you to learn 4 languages fluently, or so.

Here's a handy chart on why you should rethink learning moonrunes (unless you're really sure), scroll to the bottom. Language Learning Difficulty for*English Speakers

Link isn't working for me.

Anyway yeah, I know it's not easy. And there's a lot I have to look into, costs/time it'll take/etc/etc. This isn't an overnight decision, I've been thinking about it for a couple months, it's just come to the forefront again these past few weeks. I need to challenge myself though, or I'm going to keep stagnating no matter where I move. I'm tired of not going anywhere. Learning any language to the point of fluency is going to take awhile, but to truly get it I'd need more than 4 years of classes anyway. You won't really get it without some form of full immersion (trips abroad, etc).

Just bought a new pair of Doc Martens to replace the pair I've had for the last 9 years. I wore those jokers nearly daily until 6 months ago.

I forgot how tough non-broken in Doc's are. Man, my feet hurt. I have to remember that in a few weeks, months, they will be the most comfortable shoes on the planet. And I'll have these for most of the next decade.

fade

Staff member
Learning a language really depends on your mindset. The first semester I tried Japanese, it did indeed seem really odd. I think I was trying to connect the plumbing up to English a bit too much. Or at least in the wrong way. That, and I have yet to see a book or teacher explain particles properly. They always want to translate them which is all wrong. They should either translate them as syntactic highlighting or they should transliterate them. Long story short, if you get your mind in the right setting, and read Japanese instead of forcing sentences into uncomfortable English syntax, I don't think it warrants the extra asterisk.

Long story short, if you get your mind in the right setting, and read Japanese instead of forcing sentences into uncomfortable English syntax, I don't think it warrants the extra asterisk.
I agree.

I just don't think it is a good idea to pick it up next to a complete education as you won't be able to spend nearly the amount of time on it that you would need to. Nor would it be a very practical language to learn unless you are planning a job in translation, import/export, or are moving to Japan. It's amazing how fast you can forget a language you may have even aced in school after not/hardly using it for a year or two. Just seems like a waste of time to me.[/QUOTE]

I taught Spanish for a year, and never really spoke it since. With 14 years between then and now, I only know enough to get into a fight.

E

Element 117

So after a lot of thinking and talking to myself, I think I've decided I want to go back to school. If I were to go out here in GA, I could apply for the HOPE grant which, depending on the school, would cover most if not all the cost (if I'm reading it right). At first I thought I wanted to do something with sound or art, but I know if I do I'll lose my love for both all over again, like I did with art school back in CA.

I think I've decided I want to become fluent in a foreign language. I had two years of German in high school (though I don't remember a lot) and it's very similar to English, so getting immersed in the language would be easy, and I did like speaking what little I knew. However I've also always wanted to learn Japanese (inb4 weeaboo), more because I'd love to tour the country and be able to make my own way as opposed to it being for a manga/anime/whatever reason. The problem is figuring out which I'd prefer to learn, and if it's possible to get this done out here. It seems GA Tech has a minor in both, but the other issue is what do I do if I learn one? Do I pair it with Economics (which it seems is a must for GT, though I didn't really understand that part), or do I see if I can get into some kind of translation gig? I know there's things like translating for games, which a friend of mine did back in art school.

I don't know, it's a big decision after a long line of mistakes (based on other big decisions of mine) so I am honestly terrified of continuing down this path. I know I want to do it, but I don't know if I'm 100% committed to it yet. I love language and I loved learning one (best grades and the German teachers told me I was consistently the top of the class in terms of picking up the language), so I think this is a good idea. I'm just scared is all, I guess.
Language Learning with Livemocha | Learn a Language Online - Free!
Use this to start

stop watching anything but this, when ever you're home/awake:
KeyHoleTV & KeyHoleVideo

learn to read and write
Japan With Kids - Hiragana Chart With Sound

How To Add and Enable Additional Languages in Windows

All of this costs you only time.

This weekend I'm going to begin a hopefully outpatient treatment of a health condiition I've basically ignored for a long time. I should qualify for charity care. The treatment should be fairly simple but because it's gone untreated for so long there might be complications.

L

LordRavage

I hope it doesnt get more serious then it is right now Null. I have a few family members right now ignoring treatment for a varity of things. Atleast you getting on it(Which is more then I can say for my family. :p) . Life is short, you want to be around to enjoy the rest of it. Best of luck though.

This weekend I'm going to begin a hopefully outpatient treatment of a health condiition I've basically ignored for a long time. I should qualify for charity care. The treatment should be fairly simple but because it's gone untreated for so long there might be complications.
So when you go in to get your third nipple removed you should see if they can save it for you in a small jar of formaldehyde.

It'll be a conversation starter.

E

Element 117

Is it hypothyvoidism?

Is it hypothyvoidism?[/QUOTE]
I groaned. Was that the appropriate response?

M

Matt²

So when you go in to get your third nipple removed you should see if they can save it for you in a small jar of formaldehyde.

It'll be a conversation starter.[/QUOTE]

Hey if you want mine, maybe something Frankenstein-esque/Weird Science could be done with the pair?

Dave

Staff member
Okay, this thread has hit the 2000 response mark and is slated for a lock-a-rooni. But before I do I have a confession:

The peeing on the cat story? Totally fake. Makare asked me to make a thread because the real rant thread was really, really serious and she wanted to rant but didn't want to look like a yutz. So I made up a story about peeing on the cat to start the thread.

Never say I don't give you anything.

:lock:

Status
Not open for further replies.