[TV] The Flash

Season 1 is on Netflix, so I decided to catch up. I was really disappointed in Captain Cold. They did briefly attempt to make him calculating, but there wasn't any of the famous grudging respect. Plus it seems to me they reversed his position on taking lives from the comics, or am I crazy? He won't take a cop's life, but he will take a civilian's?
How far have you watched, or have you seen the whole season? It's clear they're building up Captain Cold into how he normally is in the comics.

fade

Staff member
Just his first appearance so far.

I'm still annoyed by live action media's avoidance of comic book handles. They always exercise that tired old trope where the media names the hero/villain. Having Cisco do it is slightly more amusing, but geez, maybe let the villain identify himself for once.

Fox just started showing Flash season 1. Just the first episode so far.
1. Wow, things sure went fast as far as introductions and stuff go, certainly compared to Arrow
2. If this is supposed to be the "cheerier", "more colorful" show compared to Arrow, I'm not seeing it in this first episode.

Fox just started showing Flash season 1. Just the first episode so far.
1. Wow, things sure went fast as far as introductions and stuff go, certainly compared to Arrow
2. If this is supposed to be the "cheerier", "more colorful" show compared to Arrow, I'm not seeing it in this first episode.
Flash is "Superman" to Arrow's "Batman." The entire show moves faster than Arrow, they're not afraid to move through plot lines other shows would drag out. Like Joe not knowing about Barry's new super powers.

Just watched this last episode and... man I wish it had not been so terrible. Bad acting bad dialog and just... ugh. Could have been a fantastic story but it was just so poorly executed imo.

So far watching it on Netflix I'm liking the show FAR more than Arrow.

Then Clancy Brown showed up. Super IN!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

15 episodes in and I never thought Wentworth "Charisma Vacuum" Miller would be my favorite part of anything. The Prison Break brothers look like they're having so much fun in their scenes. Captain Cold rules

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

So I just finished my marathon of the first season of the Flash. Here are some bullet pointed thoughts. I may get a bit spoilery.

- CW shows cannot get enough Amells. Arrow and Firestorm and Eddie Thawn who is basically a Stephen Amell doppleganger.

- Every time he or Reverse Flash pretended to turn their hoodie into a mask with that lame camera cut pullup thing, I laughed. It looked silly every time.

- It's cool they tried to do Grodd. He looked low budget but I can't even begin to imagine how expensive it would have been to make a CG gorilla look good in a show with so many FX shots to begin with.

- Ed was a great villain. They did a super good job with that. He was a legitimately good season long villain. That's really rare. They in no way dropped the ball there.

- Captain Cold rules.

- I don't watch Arrow so finding out that Captain Boomerang was only in the Arrow bummed me RIGHT the fuck out. What the hell?

- I thought Firestorm had way more powers than just being an Amellized Human Torch. I'm not to up on my DC characters though.

- The Mark Hamill Trickster episode was fucking great. Loved all the shots from the old show.

- Speaking of the old show, old Flash playing his dad is super rad.

- Finally, who the fuck was the guy with the laser eyes in the transportation episode? Did I skip an episode by accident? I JUST LOOKED THIS UP. Another character from an Arrow episode. DAMN YOU ARROW! It is unforgivable that Captain Boomerang was only in Arrow. UNFORGIVABLE!

- OK, so, if Eddie killing himself stops RF, then how is Barry's mom still dead? Wha-haaa? Also, Wells.

- Captain Cold rules.

Last edited:
Well, the first episode of this season was kinda dumb.

Atom Smasher looked remarkably silly when he grew and the whole Barry's dad thing was the dumbest thing in this show yet. Well, that and Firestorm getting bumped out between seasons. You know that cliffhanger we ended season one on? Yeah, it got fixed. By the way, Firestorm's dead now.

Barry's Dad: I know you just got me out of prison, but I gotta go.

Barry: Why?

Barry's Dad: Cause, you know, you have to be, you know, I'm only a guest star.

Barry: DADDY!!!!!

So, um... we need to talk about what happened in last nights episode.

KING SHARK was not only teased, HE SHOWED UP! :Leyla:

So, um... we need to talk about what happened in last nights episode.

KING SHARK was not only teased, HE SHOWED UP! :Leyla:
...And I desperately hope he's not dead, even though he probably is and got to look so great because they poured a lot of budget into this brief appearance. Even so, it is friggin' awesome we even got King Shark at all.

fade

Staff member
So finished season 1. So let me get this right. We spend a whole episode telling Barry that he can erase his mothers death but that he won't remember any of this, establishing the fictional time travel rules. Which they immediately break when Wells is erased but it has no effect on the current timeline of which Wells was a part.

So finished season 1. So let me get this right. We spend a whole episode telling Barry that he can erase his mothers death but that he won't remember any of this, establishing the fictional time travel rules. Which they immediately break when Wells is erased but it has no effect on the current timeline of which Wells was a part.
This was something that I was bothered by as well. I've heard it said that all stories about time travel are inherently broken, but the Flash storyline was more broken than most. It didn't make any sense even by its own rules. (And, I know, if you go to the comics, the answer is likely "something, something, Speed Force", but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.)

What was worse was that the whole season built up to Barry's monumental decision about if he should save his mother, and that choice was literally hand waved away by the other version of himself.

fade

Staff member
So I started season 2, and it looks like
Cisco is finally getting his powers

which makes me wonder how long before we see

Killer Frost, but I like Caitlin like she is. It will be really difficult to make her transition to a villain. Though I'm guessing it has something to do with Ronnie disappearing

I also see they went with New 52 flavored
Vibe, given the 52 portals and the fact that he can see cross-dimensionally

which makes me wonder how long before we see

Killer Frost, but I like Caitlin like she is. It will be really difficult to make her transition to a villain. Though I'm guessing it has something to do with Ronnie disappearing
They could sidestep the issue by making Killer Frost from Earth-2.

Also, technically, we already have, thanks to the speed force montage
killer-frost-the-flash.png

(via Collider)

Danielle Panabaker discussed the character recently:

And they recently released a better image of the character.
BigFrost.jpg

(via SuperheroHype)

fade

Staff member
Yeah, I like how the camera lingered on Caitlin for a moment when she said, "I don't think any of us would turn evil if we got superpowers."

BananaHands

Staff member
Yeah, I like how the camera lingered on Caitlin for a moment when she said, "I don't think any of us would turn evil if we got superpowers."
I had this theory that she was already her E2 counterpart planted by Zoom but E2 Well's watch disproved that.

Also can we talk about how

Cisco was able to shoot Zoom? Vibe's abilities can help him disrupt the speed force in the comics, so maybe that has something to do with that?

Okay, so I didn't want to say anything until I caught up all the way, but...I'm now caught up all the way on The Flash. I gave the show a second - or is it third? - chance.

What finally won me over was Captain Cold. His debut episode was the next one in my queue. And not only did they nail the character, but the actor they have portraying him was probably the absolutely perfect casting I've seen in a long time. He nails the detached, slightly bemused attitude that Cold has to a tee. Any time he showed up throughout season 1 (and then season 2), it was an absolute treat.

And then the show just got better and better. I actually managed to avoid finding out who the Reverse Flash was. Or, I mean, I knew it was Wells, but the show kept throwing curveballs at me to think otherwise. Yes, even though I knew who it was, I still didn't believe it until they officially revealed it. That's how good the mystery was. It reminded me of when Spectacular Spider-Man had me second guessing the Green Goblin's identity. Really well-played.

And while I still think the actor playing Barry is too young, he's grown on me. I don't like that Linda Park showed up and dated him for a bit, but the actress is so likable and adorable that I couldn't complain too much.

The fact that the show has had Gorilla Grodd and King Shark in it? Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

And now I'm caught all the way up to the most recent episode, with the first showdown with Zoom. And...holy shit, I want the next episode now. When does this show air?

Intriguing. Though I hate cross-overs, they're one of the things from comics they didn't need to copy. An occasional guest appearance, no problem, but combining story lines and all that is annoying as hell....because not everyone can watch everything right when it airs. It makes binge watching a problem, it creates issues on DVD release, and it's incredibly crap for anyone not in the USA - the Flash and Arrow show on different channels, on different time slots, and there's at least a season of difference between "where they are", based on what I know so far.

Also, huh, all of those become good guys? Three out of them are villains at the moment :confused: :p

Bubs, if there's two things we can learn from comics, it's:

1. Death is, at best, a temporary inconvenience.

2. Alignment is a VERY flexible thing.

fade

Staff member
Well, two of them are Rogues. Those guys will go good at the drop of a hat. Especially if there's a buck in it.

Guess who's back for next week's episode?

Mark Hamill as the Trickster! And it'll be a team-up with Weather Wizard and Captain Cold!

Just finished season 1. That was excellent, way better than I ever thought it'd be. Guess I'll copy Frank's bullet ways. I want to preface this that while I've always liked the Flash, I knew pretty much nothing about his comics or villains or anything going into this, having only seen him on episodes of Justice League/Unlimited.

- Pretty much lost my shit at the first Grodd appearance. I could not believe they were doing Gorilla Grodd in this. I figured Justice League Unlimited was the last I'd see of him.
- "You ever run fast? Like, REALLY fast? That's me. 'Cause I'm the Flash." Those intro narratives got a little silly.
- Joe West's eyes can make any scene feel emotionally wrenching.
- I didn't expect to like Cisco and Caitlin so much. Outside of Buffy, a lot of the backup squad characters in TV shows annoy me, but these two really grew on me.
- Arrow appearances did not make me want to watch Arrow, but did make me feel like I need to. My exposure to Green Arrow is even less than to the Flash, essentially just his appearances in Injustice and that one animated movie where he proposes to Black Canary, but he seemed more of this cocky Robin Hood character than Broody Not-Batman as he seems to be when he appears on The Flash. That said, I did enjoy his appearances on this show, and Felicity was cool.
- Captain Cold is my favorite villain here. There's some level of stupid/illogical nature to his otherwise smart personality, but the actor sells the hell out of every line. My wife is annoyed by him, but I love it.
- That first time travel episode. Holy shit, that was phenomenal.
- I really appreciate that the finale wasn't this huge action-packed event, but a character dilemma. I really wasn't sure how things would end up in the end.

Started season 2, first episode was a little underwhelming, but I'm confident it will pick up after the quality of season 1. Really thought I'd just like this show, didn't expect to love it.