[TV] The Flash

I kinda get the feeling that they weren't sure if they were going to be able to use Supergirl, so her part was added rather than being essential to the plot. And it was kinda annoying, because there were a lot of moments that could have used her abilities.
But there was one thing that bugged me most, and admittedly, I've never watched Arrow or The Flash, but all of Supergirl and most of the first season of Legends of Tomorrow, but

What the hell was up with Ollie's bullshit, "I'm not feeling sure of myself, so you need to be side-lined, Kara"? What logic was that? You want the most powerful person on your team to step back because you're feeling impotent? I really, really wanted Kara to super-kick him in the nuts right there. And I know Barry wasn't reliable after "Flashpoint", which they mentioned 50 MILLION TIMES OKAY WE GET IT, but he was clearly smarter than Ollie to bring her in. Ollie needs to sit back and shut the hell up, angsty Batman-wannabe.
I think that came down to your first point of them being unsure if they could use Supergirl, and they needed a reason for her not to immediately solve every problem.

I liked the crossover in parts, but not in others. I think they can and will do better. Right now my favorite crossover of any of these shows is still the Supergirl episode with the Flash, because putting Kara and Barry together is like putting two puppies in the same room.

I don't get why people hate Felicity Smoak. Having not watched much Arrow, she's mine and my wife's favorite Arrow character. I know people criticized one set of episodes of Arrow being the Felicity Smoak Show--I'll need to find out which season that is.

I think that came down to your first point of them being unsure if they could use Supergirl, and they needed a reason for her not to immediately solve every problem.

I liked the crossover in parts, but not in others. I think they can and will do better. Right now my favorite crossover of any of these shows is still the Supergirl episode with the Flash, because putting Kara and Barry together is like putting two puppies in the same room.

I don't get why people hate Felicity Smoak. Having not watched much Arrow, she's mine and my wife's favorite Arrow character. I know people criticized one set of episodes of Arrow being the Felicity Smoak Show--I'll need to find out which season that is.
Totally agree with you on both the Flash/Supergirl cross-over and not understanding why people hate Felicity. Didn't people also really dislike Thea, and now she's Speedy? I'm some-what confused with the CW characters.

Oh, but a throw-away joke I really liked:
I did like Ray/Brandon's line about "She looks like my cousin!" A nice nod to his turn as Superman. I don't know if they ever joke about that, but I liked the mention. I didn't understand Felicity's line before it, but I don't know enough about Arrow to get it.

I kinda get the feeling that they weren't sure if they were going to be able to use Supergirl, so her part was added rather than being essential to the plot. And it was kinda annoying, because there were a lot of moments that could have used her abilities.
But there was one thing that bugged me most, and admittedly, I've never watched Arrow or The Flash, but all of Supergirl and most of the first season of Legends of Tomorrow, but

What the hell was up with Ollie's bullshit, "I'm not feeling sure of myself, so you need to be side-lined, Kara"? What logic was that? You want the most powerful person on your team to step back because you're feeling impotent? I really, really wanted Kara to super-kick him in the nuts right there. And I know Barry wasn't reliable after "Flashpoint", which they mentioned 50 MILLION TIMES OKAY WE GET IT, but he was clearly smarter than Ollie to bring her in. Ollie needs to sit back and shut the hell up, angsty Batman-wannabe.
Yeah, that whole impotency angle was ridiculous. It felt like it came out of nowhere, too. Even as the scene played, I was thinking, "This is just a cheap excuse to not include her in the next action scene, isn't it?"

Ollie in this universe ends up taking a good number of Bat-mannerisms so the distrust of Super beings didn't seem that out of place to me.

Felicity does some dumb stuff last season that really put her on everyone's shit list.

First of all near the end of season 3
Her and ollie start dating which just feels a little out of place. like it felt like it was mostly to please the shippers and stuff.

Then in season 4
She stays with him through a lot. Hell, she gets shot and paralyzed from the waist down and stays with him through that. What breaks them up is that Ollie finds out he has a son from a fling ~8 years ago. The baby mama says that if ollie tells anyone ANYONE that she won't let him see his son ever again. So ollie doesn't immediately tell Felicity about it and she finds out and leaves him because he didn't risk never seeing his son again to please queen smoke. And the dumbest part is that during the break up she regains the ability to walk because science and WALKS AWAY DID YOU SEE THE SYMBOLISM WALK-AWAY get it?

And that's why Felicity can suck a bag of dicks. Or really that's why the writing for the show can suck 3 bags.

Ollie in this universe ends up taking a good number of Bat-mannerisms so the distrust of Super beings didn't seem that out of place to me.

Felicity does some dumb stuff last season that really put her on everyone's shit list.

First of all near the end of season 3
Her and ollie start dating which just feels a little out of place. like it felt like it was mostly to please the shippers and stuff.

Then in season 4
She stays with him through a lot. Hell, she gets shot and paralyzed from the waist down and stays with him through that. What breaks them up is that Ollie finds out he has a son from a fling ~8 years ago. The baby mama says that if ollie tells anyone ANYONE that she won't let him see his son ever again. So ollie doesn't immediately tell Felicity about it and she finds out and leaves him because he didn't risk never seeing his son again to please queen smoke. And the dumbest part is that during the break up she regains the ability to walk because science and WALKS AWAY DID YOU SEE THE SYMBOLISM WALK-AWAY get it?

And that's why Felicity can suck a bag of dicks. Or really that's why the writing for the show can suck 3 bags.
That sounds like a completely different character. Sheez ...

I really, really hope they'll show the episode(s) of the other shows along with the ones in their own series....But I'm guessing they won't. Flash and Supergirl air on two different networks, Arrow hasn't been on in forever, and there's still no legal way for me to see Legends. I'm glad they're including at least little bits from one in the other and al lthat but still.
I understand wanting to draw in viewers from one to the other, but blegh. I dunno, when there's NCIS/NCIS New Orleans or whatever crossovers I just torrent the one from the show I don't watch, grudgingly watch that on my pc, then go back to my tv. I may have to do the same here.

Most female characters end up getting some kind of dumb treatment that takes their core power away

Laurel
Starts out as a strong character in season one. She's the assistant D.A. so we have the ability to show the other side of this vigilantism and how that could work legally. She also shows martial ability by taking down attackers on her own RIGHT OFF THE BAT. So...let's make her an addict in season 2 and an irrational rookie in season 3! Perfect!

Or Felicity !
A tech expert who can provide the gadgets and hacker stuff! let's start out small and have her get into traffic cams and stuff. You know, generally useful things. What's that you say? Let's have her hack literally anything? She hacked a betamax cassette? Fuck it, why not? Oh her cute and bubbly personality endears her to fans? Better make sure she's the main love interest! Laurel who?

Sarah!
Someone who went through the same shit as ollie? sweet! let's make her black canary cause fuck Laurel she's an addict didn't you hear? Also she's Ollie's love interest because they went through the same shit. Alright, everyone love her and like her tortured past and story of redemption? COOL LOL SHE'S DEAD!

Oh shit everyone really liked her? Ok let's bring her back and take every moment to remind everyone she's gay by having her just make out with or at least holler at anything with tits. Queen of France? fuck yeah. First Female president of the US? Total hottie amirite! Two chicks can make out all day long but Mr. Terrific can't even be seen with a boyfriend too much because nerds don't jerk it to that.

Though on a side note I'd like to say it was nice to get through a crisis without a flash getting killed.

Though on a side note I'd like to say it was nice to get through a crisis without a flash getting killed.
To be fair, this was an INVASION, not a Crisis. Anything officially named a Crisis is when Flashes need to be watched closely.

That's another thing that bugged me about this crossover. For all the high stakes and build up, there weren't really any major ramifications. Supergirl can visit any time she wants. Cisco and Barry are total best buds again. And there might be a DEA here, like Kara's universe. That's...about it.

Or Flash making it worse :p. Barry said no more time travel, but I'm just counting the episodes until he breaks that.
'cause he's gotta go back like...oooooone more time to REALLY set things right...right?

Though seriously the whole show is a time aberration if we want to put this into Legend's of Tomorrow terms. Reverse Flash went back in time and set the particle accelerator off a few years early in season 1. I wouldn't be surprised if the show ends with them undoing that.

'cause he's gotta go back like...oooooone more time to REALLY set things right...right?

Though seriously the whole show is a time aberration if we want to put this into Legend's of Tomorrow terms. Reverse Flash went back in time and set the particle accelerator off a few years early in season 1. I wouldn't be surprised if the show ends with them undoing that.
You mean reverting everything to the original timeline that had Flash, Batman, Superman, etc the general Justice League? I think that'd be a crappy finale, to just undo everything.

Then in season 4

To be fair, they wanted it to be a sort of culmination of all the time Ollie lied to "protect" them, they just failed at conveying it well.

To be fair, they wanted it to be a sort of culmination of all the time Ollie lied to "protect" them, they just failed at conveying it well.
Oh for sure. Like I understand the idea of one more big lie being the straw that breaks that cammel's back. HOWEVER I feel like this was one of the few lies that was 100% justified. The person behind the lie even explained it to them and took the responsibility but it was still not good enough.

I'd have kicked Legends of Tomorrow to the side by now because of its lack of consistency, but we're getting caught up and it's not just that Reverse Flash is present, but he's apparently season 2's big bad, so I want to see where that goes.

This was an episode of good and bleh, the bleh mostly being Barry being an idiot for the sake of CW drama. But geez, once he spills the beans, it's easy to see why he didn't want to.

Iris asking "how long do I have?" tugged at my heart, like she was a terminal patient.

I like the set-up for the rest of the season. The see-through board (whatever you call that) is a neat storytelling device.

This was an episode of good and bleh, the bleh mostly being Barry being an idiot for the sake of CW drama.
What was really annoying was him asking about changing the future... WHEN THEY ALREADY CHANGED THE TIMELINES A MILLION TIMES, AND THE WHOLE SHOW IS AN ALTERNATE TIMELINE CREATED BY PROF. ZOOM!!!!!

What was really annoying was him asking about changing the future... WHEN THEY ALREADY CHANGED THE TIMELINES A MILLION TIMES, AND THE WHOLE SHOW IS AN ALTERNATE TIMELINE CREATED BY PROF. ZOOM!!!!!
You mean Iobard Thawn?

That was something that bugged me about Flashpoint in this; supposedly Barry stopping Iobard from killing his mom would've been correcting the timeline, but I guess it goes back to what Jay tells him. Even his correction was still going to have fractures. And then putting that back was even more messed up.

Nonethless, yeah, that was dumb. Wife and I kept saying that in the episode, "You have literally gone back in time and changed the future." Season friggin 1 with Weather Wizard. I guess to Barry he just changed the present.

You mean Iobard Thawn?
Nah, i'm talking about his identical twin doppelgänger, Eobard.

Even his correction was still going to have fractures.
Well, at least that makes sense, as Barry was altering the past too by fighting Prof. Zoom in his house there. To actually bring back things to the unseen original timeline he should stop him before he got there.

Of course, considering Legends, the timeline is being fractured bi-weekly.

Nah, i'm talking about his identical twin doppelgänger, Eobard.

Well, at least that makes sense, as Barry was altering the past too by fighting Prof. Zoom in his house there. To actually bring back things to the unseen original timeline he should stop him before he got there.

Of course, considering Legends, the timeline is being fractured bi-weekly.
You keep saying Zoom, but he didn't go back to Barry's past. He was at Barry's house in the present to kill his dad. Eobard went back to kill his mom.

But yeah, taking Legends into account, everything should be entirely fucked by now.

figmentPez

Staff member
But yeah, taking Legends into account, everything should be entirely fucked by now.
That's assuming that time works the way the villains are saying it does. Even the Time Masters may not have been right in their assumptions about things.

I can't remember who wrote it, but there's a great SciFi short story about a time travel protection agency who works to prevent alterations to the timeline, only to eventually come into contact with a multiverse protection agency who informs them that they've been causing problems with the multiverse with their efforts to preserve the timeline.

You keep saying Zoom, but he didn't go back to Barry's past.
Oh, sorry... i was using the original comic book names, where Professor Zoom, the Reverse-Flash is Eobard Thawne, a crazy guy from the future that's obsessed with Barry Allen. While Zoom is Hunter Zolomon, who is actually Wally West's "Reverse-Flash" (and who's powers where actually making time go slower).

Oh, sorry... i was using the original comic book names, where Professor Zoom, the Reverse-Flash is Eobard Thawne, a crazy guy from the future that's obsessed with Barry Allen. While Zoom is Hunter Zolomon, who is actually Wally West's "Reverse-Flash" (and who's powers where actually making time go slower).
Comic books! :awesome: Isn't Savitar supposed to not actually be fast, but do some weird stuff to appear fast?

The musical crossover with Supergirl is happening a week from this coming episode, so things need to get a lot better mood-wise because nooooooooo.

I'm really interested in this loopy time travel/speeed force thing going on. I don't think I fully appreciated what Savitar was saying in the Christmas episode, but all of what's going on in the show is the past. Future Barry stops past Savitar in the future, by now present Barry has to deal with Future Savitar. Also whatever the hell Savitar means in the future if he kills Iris "now I'm finally free of you."

People have their theories as to who Savitar is under there. Most popular prediction:

that it's Future Wally

But I think it could be

Bart Allen, though maybe he's Barry's son instead of grandson.

Hey, you know what would be real twist? If it was just some guy they haven't met yet...
They haven't met who I mentioned, in the show at least.

But I know what you mean. I could see that for a villain of the week, someone taunting "you and I have done this forever, Flash" and then it's just some rando. I can't see them doing that for a season's big bad.

They haven't met who I mentioned, in the show at least.
Bad choice of words on my part... should have included "or someone not related to then etc"

But I know what you mean. I could see that for a villain of the week, someone taunting "you and I have done this forever, Flash" and then it's just some rando. I can't see them doing that for a season's big bad.
It's already the 3rd speedster, making it also the 3rd (well, 4th, if you include Malfoy) "guy we already know, that we thought was a friend" is just so predictable.