Export thread

The Flash

evilmike

evilmike

The cast continues to fill out for CW's new project based on the Flash. Entertainment Weekly is reporting that Tom Cavanagh has been added as “a rock star in the world of physics, the mind and money behind Central City’s S.T.A.R. Labs Particle Accelerator. He becomes a pariah after the lab’s explosion, but he charts his path to redemption when he discovers that his failed experiment had the unintended consequence of creating the world’s fastest man (Grant Gustin).”

io9 is reporting that John Wesley Shipp has also been added in a recurring role. No word on what the role is, as of yet.

Professor Zoom?

Covar

Covar

I'm looking forward to this, obviously. I'm also happy that Arrow producers have said that if the pilot gets passed on it won't be the end of Grant Gustin as the Flash. The only thing's I'm not super thrilled about is Barry being taken in and raised by the Wests, and Geoff Johns writing the pilot (that man should never be allowed anywhere near Barry Allen).

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

The cast continues to fill out for CW's new project based on the Flash. Entertainment Weekly is reporting that Tom Cavanagh has been added as “a rock star in the world of physics, the mind and money behind Central City’s S.T.A.R. Labs Particle Accelerator. He becomes a pariah after the lab’s explosion, but he charts his path to redemption when he discovers that his failed experiment had the unintended consequence of creating the world’s fastest man (Grant Gustin).”

io9 is reporting that John Wesley Shipp has also been added in a recurring role. No word on what the role is, as of yet.

Professor Zoom?
Eddie Thawne (the show's version of Eobard Thawne) has already been cast and he'll be played by Rick Cosnett. It also looks like they'll be having Killer Frost as another villain confirmed for the show.

Personally, I kind of hope John Wesley Shipp ends up being Jay Garrick as a little nod to the Flash legacy.

EDIT: Also, Cisco Ramon, better known as the superhero Vibe, will be featured in the show.

Covar

Covar

Killer Frost? Why would you use Killer Frost when you have the greatest cold-based villain as part of your rogues gallery?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Killer Frost? Why would you use Killer Frost when you have the greatest cold-based villain as part of your rogues gallery?
I guess to tie her powers into the lab explosion. I'm a little surprised, though, that they went with that instead of just sticking with Captain Cold there. In fact, I'm a little surprised there's no word yet about any of the Rogues.

EDIT: Did a little more research and apparently one Rogue has been confirmed for the show: Hartley Rathaway, the Pied Piper.

evilmike

evilmike

I guess to tie her powers into the lab explosion. I'm a little surprised, though, that they went with that instead of just sticking with Captain Cold there. In fact, I'm a little surprised there's no word yet about any of the Rogues.

EDIT: Did a little more research and apparently one Rogue has been confirmed for the show: Hartley Rathaway, the Pied Piper.
Speaking of the rogue's gallery, is it too much to hope for to have Mark Hamill cast as the Trickster?

Covar

Covar

That's no surprise.

I'm truthfully not to worried about a lack of casting news for Rogues. They're recurring parts, and focus is most likely on getting the pilot together. Flash has the second or third best Rogues Gallery in all of comics, so it would take complete idiots to not want to use any of them. What we should be sad about is that we're likely to never see Gorilla Grodd :(.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Speaking of the rogue's gallery, is it too much to hope for to have Mark Hamill cast as the Trickster?
I doubt he'd go back to that role.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Captain Cold as he's been written over the last, what, year or so I think? Is pretty great, I'd love to see him get used.

Flash has always been my favorite DC hero, I hope the show turns out good.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

WB released the first photo today of the main actor playing The Flash.

I'm honestly surprised he's in a suit at all. WB seems terrified to do anything with costumes. I expected another show where they tried to avoid superhero stuff like costumes or code names and just call it Runner or Keystone or Speed Force or something.

Also, I don't know why the chin...thing (whatever you call it) bugs me so much. They have it on Flash in the New 52 as well and it just looks stupid to me.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

WB released the first photo today of the main actor playing The Flash.

I'm honestly surprised he's in a suit at all. WB seems terrified to do anything with costumes. I expected another show where they tried to avoid superhero stuff like costumes or code names and just call it Runner or Keystone or Speed Force or something.

Also, I don't know why the chin...thing (whatever you call it) bugs me so much. They have it on Flash in the New 52 as well and it just looks stupid to me.
Well, it seems like WB is a bit more open to more "comic-booky" stuff like costumes for the Flash considering the more sci-fi/standard comic book elements of the character. Also, they would be warming up to more traditional comic book elements considering how Arrow has worked its way to a more superheroic form.

evilmike

evilmike

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Huh. They actually went for the whole "lightning bolt and doused in chemicals" origin for Flash. Cool.

evilmike

evilmike

Covar

Covar

Looks like I'm always late.

Looks good. I kind of wish the boots were gold, but it's so much better than we could have gotten I'm just going to be happy with it. I like that it's very much the Flash, but also shares a similar thematic look with Arrow's suit.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Looks like I'm always late.

Looks good. I kind of wish the boots were gold, but it's so much better than we could have gotten I'm just going to be happy with it. I like that it's very much the Flash, but also shares a similar thematic look with Arrow's suit.
Probably because it was the same costume designer. :p

Covar

Covar

Yes, well...:stfu:

I'm just glad that they're going to keep the shows visually similar. It should make crossovers more seamless and really help build a greater tv universe.

Covar

Covar

evilmike

evilmike

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't know, I just can't seem to get myself excited about anything involving the DCU lately. Comics or otherwise. I feel like you can only be punched in the face so many times before you stop stepping up to the table.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I don't know, I just can't seem to get myself excited about anything involving the DCU lately. Comics or otherwise. I feel like you can only be punched in the face so many times before you stop stepping up to the table.
Do you want to make Batman sadder? 'Cause that's how you make Batman sadder.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I do find it interesting that DC is having more success with their television series than they are their movies. Arrow (and Smallville to a lesser extent) gets quite a bit of praise, even among the comic book community. Personally, I never got into it, but I can see what people like about it. And I don't know, that trailer was kinda fun, if hokey. Certainly hokier than anything you'd ever expect from the grim dark films.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I do find it interesting that DC is having more success with their television series than they are their movies. Arrow (and Smallville to a lesser extent) gets quite a bit of praise, even among the comic book community. Personally, I never got into it, but I can see what people like about it. And I don't know, that trailer was kinda fun, if hokey. Certainly hokier than anything you'd ever expect from the grim dark films.
Don't think Dan Didio has any say over the TV series.... that's probably why.

Gryfter

Gryfter

And now a trailer;

Looks fun, I will check it out.

Covar

Covar

:sohappy:

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

And now a trailer;

Looks fun, I will check it out.
Yeah, that actually doesn't look bad. It looks like they may have done a good job of creating something that feels distinct from Arrow.

figmentPez

figmentPez

This looks so promising, but there are three things that I hope the writers remember about the Flash:
  1. The Flash has the most potential power in the DC universe.
  2. The Flash is one of the most human heroes in the DC universe.
  3. Creative use of hypervelocity
Aside from being Barry (and Wally and Jay Garrick) being a genuinely nice guy, those are the most important things about the Flash to me. Barry has this nearly unlimited potential, but he's still constantly late, and essentially caring and good, and worries that his power will make him lose touch with the world he cares about. He's smart and creative in how to use his power, and he uses it to do the right thing, even little things.

Frank

Frank

Man, they make the super speed look good. That was a worry.

LOOKING FORWARD TO.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Screw Barry Allen, Even though I grew up on him, Wally West is my Flash.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wow, I wasn't expecting much, but that's got promise.

Frank

Frank

Screw Barry Allen, Even though I grew up on him, Wally West is my Flash.
Who?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Huh. That looks like a lot of fun. I'll definitely check it out. At some point, I need to catch up on Arrow as I'm still around the 9th episode. It just didn't grab me. This...looks like it has a better chance of grabbing me. Of course, Flash is in my top 5 comic book heroes, so I might be a little biased.

That said, I do have a minor qualm: Weather Wizard is a metahuman rather than a guy with a weather wand. That's what I always liked about Flash's rogues: they were all just chumps with science gadgets who robbed banks. It's not enough to turn me away, but it is something that bugs me a little.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Huh. That looks like a lot of fun. I'll definitely check it out. At some point, I need to catch up on Arrow as I'm still around the 9th episode. It just didn't grab me. This...looks like it has a better chance of grabbing me. Of course, Flash is in my top 5 comic book heroes, so I might be a little biased.

That said, I do have a minor qualm: Weather Wizard is a metahuman rather than a guy with a weather wand. That's what I always liked about Flash's rogues: they were all just chumps with science gadgets who robbed banks. It's not enough to turn me away, but it is something that bugs me a little.
A lot of them have gone metahuman, though, for example Captain Cold. I don't know if that's still true or not, but for awhile there he'd dropped the blasters and went all Iceman.

Also, agreed on Arrow. Though from what I've heard, the first season's pretty a pretty slow burn, and all the goodies are in season 2.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It's nice to see John Dorian's brother finally got a job.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It's nice to see John Dorian's brother finally got a job.
I love seeing him in things, but I can't ever see him enter a scene without hearing "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey little brother."

Covar

Covar

A lot of them have gone metahuman, though, for example Captain Cold. I don't know if that's still true or not, but for awhile there he'd dropped the blasters and went all Iceman.

Also, agreed on Arrow. Though from what I've heard, the first season's pretty a pretty slow burn, and all the goodies are in season 2.
Seasons one pays off in the end in a big way though, and unlike Agents of shield you're rewarded for watching from the start, they don't just retool it to tie into a movie.

Espy

Espy

I hope every episode has a villain he has to run around in a circle to defeat. :p

Seriously though, as cheesy as it is, that didn't look half bad.

Covar

Covar

Flash taking out tornadoes that way is a time honored tradition. I'm stoked for this.[DOUBLEPOST=1400245064,1400244861][/DOUBLEPOST]
It is I'm pretty sure. Starting with the n52 a lot of them were meta humans when they showed up. Story wise, not originally, but Captain Cold had an evil mad scientist do it to them after they lost to the Flash one to many times.

Franics Manapul and Brian Buccellato's New 52 run on the Flash is criminally underrated.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Seasons one pays off in the end in a big way though, and unlike Agents of shield you're rewarded for watching from the start, they don't just retool it to tie into a movie.
Man, you just straight up hate that show, don't you?

Covar

Covar

Yup. I gave it plenty of chances and it just got worse and worse.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think the opposite, but to each his own.

evilmike

evilmike

The show will premiere on Tuesday, October 7th. (via io9)

Reportedly, the pilot has already leaked and there is some sort of huge spoiler about the end of it. (via io9)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

There's been a pretty consistent talkback/review thread on /co/ about the pilot, but I've been avoiding it. Don't want to spoil anything and I should probably watch Arrow first.

evilmike

evilmike

There's been a pretty consistent talkback/review thread on /co/ about the pilot, but I've been avoiding it. Don't want to spoil anything and I should probably watch Arrow first.
Yeah. That's why I don't know what the spoiler in the link is yet.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Spoiler: He runs fast. Like, REALLY fast.

evilmike

evilmike

Here is a screenshot from the pilot (via Cosmic Book News). It may simple be a great Easter egg, but it might actually be a...

A word of warning about the link -- it does contain more spoilery information than the picture posted here.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Here is a screenshot from the pilot (via Cosmic Book News). It may simple be a great Easter egg, but it might actually be a...

A word of warning about the link -- it does contain more spoilery information than the picture posted here.

Well first we have to see if Solomon Grundy shows up on Arrow or not... if they're willing to do that then there might be a chance for everyone favourite Flash villain....

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well first we have to see if Solomon Grundy shows up on Arrow or not... if they're willing to do that then there might be a chance for everyone favourite Flash villain....
Actually, they did use Solomon Grundy on Arrow...just not as a zombie. Rather, they had Cyrus Gold as an acolyte of Brother Blood and dosed up with a drug that gave him super strength and invulnerability.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

everyone favourite Flash villain....
The Top?!

Oh, wait. You said everyone's. Not mine.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Actually, they did use Solomon Grundy on Arrow...just not as a zombie. Rather, they had Cyrus Gold as an acolyte of Brother Blood and dosed up with a drug that gave him super strength and invulnerability.
You're clearly not remembering what happened to Cyrus Gold... he got some nice green goo on him, right before being buried under a ton of rubble... hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

You're clearly not remembering what happened to Cyrus Gold... he got some nice green goo on him, right before being buried under a ton of rubble... hint, hint, nudge, nudge.
I had forgotten that. Whether they actually go through with that and make him a zombie, though, is something else. Honestly, I don't expect them to go all the way if they do bring him back. It feels like they'll be more open to doing stuff like that for the Flash TV series, in my opinion.

evilmike

evilmike

I didn't view that so much as a veiled reference. I viewed it as an origin story. I fully expect to see a gray Solomon Grundy in season 3 on Arrow. He won't be a magic-based zombie, but he'll have been presumed dead and been buried. Because of the additional chemical exposure, he'll be immune to the mirakuru cure.

Espy

Espy

I thought Flash's greatest villain was a sticky spot on the road?

Adam

Adam

Harrison Wells is totally Wally West's Hunter Zolomon is totally Zoom the man who kills Barry's mom (Wally's twins)

I may be a bit of a Flash nerd but here's my guess.

In the Geoff Johns run of Flash, Wally West fails to save Hunter Zolomon from an attack by Gorilla Grodd. Hunter is wheelchair bound and goes to Wally to go back in time and stop it from happening but Wally tells Hunter that you can't change the past and some things are meant to happen. Zolomon goes crazy and jumps on the cosmic treadmill, but it explodes in his face and he becomes a reverse speedster, basically existing outside of time and able to traverse time at will. He doesn't 'hate' Flash, but he thinks that he has to experience trauma in order to become a better hero so he goes back in time to kill Linda West (Wally's wife at the time) but only causes her to miscarry the twins she was carrying. A couple dozen comics later, Zoom tries again and Wally follows him at the time, stopping him just as he would have done it again and causes a time loop which basically snaps Zoom into a catatonic state and Linda instantly births twins in 'normal time'.

If this is the plotline they bastardize, they have a fan for life. The John's run of Flash I read annually because it's so brilliant at bringing back the Rogue's Gallery and actually making them credible threats.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I didn't view that so much as a veiled reference. I viewed it as an origin story.
Yes, that's what i was saying, that they set it up so they can bring in a" closer to the comics" version of Solomon Grundy...

Whether they actually go through with that and make him a zombie, though, is something else. Honestly, I don't expect them to go all the way if they do bring him back.
He's not a zombie, he's a rotting mutant... and they're walkers in The Walking Dead... who cares what they call them, as long as they look right.

evilmike

evilmike

More casting news from the CW-verse: Robbie Amell has been cast as Ronnie Raymond (aka Firestorm) as a recurring character on Flash. No word on if/when his super powered identity would appear.
(via io9)

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

New to the cast: Wentworth Miller as Captain Cold. He'll be turning up in episode four.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=120774

fade

fade

I hope they keep the Rogues' humanity. The Flash was always my favorite comic book character because of all the humanity. The Rogues were so interesting because they had lives and emotions, and didn't always feel obsessively compelled to do the bad guy thing. That and the begrudged respect for the Flash.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

New poster!

grodd lives! Kord industries!

Espy

Espy

That looks nice but if he ran in a straight line he'd get places faster.

fade

fade

A costume and overt superpowers. What's CW coming to?

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

He's just being flashy.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

FLASH! AAAAAAAAH!

Wait, I'm doing it wrong, aren't I?

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

A costume and overt superpowers. What's CW coming to?
Hopefully, they're realizing they can try and succeed *budget limitations taken into consideration* where the WB movie division keeps farking up (the Nolanverse being it's own separate thing) in trying have some of the success financially and creatively that the DCAU has had.[DOUBLEPOST=1409091889,1409091846][/DOUBLEPOST]
FLASH! AAAAAAAAH!

Wait, I'm doing it wrong, aren't I?
No, because HE'LL SAVE EVERYONE OF US!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

No, because HE'LL SAVE EVERYONE OF US!
*awesome guitar riff*

@Li3n

@Li3n

But then he'd get there too fast...

evilmike

evilmike

First clear shots of Professor Zoom/Reverse Flash (via io9, ComicBookMovie, GrantGustinNews)

Covar

Covar

I dig the two tone it looks good. A bit like Kid Flash's classic costume (Wally's new Kid Flash costume is silver and black which looks pretty slick, but that's another... thread. :csi:).[DOUBLEPOST=1412866433,1412866202][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok looking at it some more, is that Proffessor Ed (can't remember his real name), Thawne, or a stunt double in the costume, I can't identify the lower part of the face. Their secret identity is safe from me.

fade

fade

It was pretty good, but funny enough not as good as the backdoor pilot. The same origin scene was a little overdone in the show itself. I look forward to more.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Saw it, liked it, will watch again.

Adam

Adam

Calling it now, gotta be Harrison Wells. He's just too much like Hunter Zolomon in the Geoff Johns Flash run.

Covar

Covar

Calling it now, gotta be Harrison Wells. He's just too much like Hunter Zolomon in the Geoff Johns Flash run.
He's a weird mix of both, plus the epilogue of the pilot eliminated any real doubt.

Adam

Adam

Haven't seen the episode but I made my prediction in this thread back in June; totally hoping I nailed it!

fade

fade

Harrison Wells is H. Wells, or H.G. Wells, implying he's a time traveler anyway. That being said, Thawne was in the pilot as a separate character.

Adam

Adam

I'm hoping that they use Eddie Thawne as Cobalt Blue instead of Professor Zoom. I mean, he's not even a professor!

Covar

Covar

I actually hope they just have him be just a cop, and maybe acknowledge him as an ancestor of Zoom.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Finally watched the pilot last night. It was okay. Had the usual CW trappings: bland, one-dimensional characters, really awkward romance among characters with no chemistry, and cliche dialogue. The villain was nothing but something for Flash to fight at the end.

That said, the special effects were pretty good. Love the effects for The Flash himself, except that close-up shot at the end of him running. And while I think it's weird to have basically a child play Barry Allen, he won me over towards the end.

I'll at least give it another few episodes and see if it gets any better.

fade

fade

I'm not arguing with you, because you're right. But Barry was better with a more experienced crew in Arrow, and pilots are generally awkward, even for good shows. I give it the pilot discount.

One thing that is definitely lacking is Arrow's excellent DP. That show has some of the best lighting I've ever seen, big or small screen.

Covar

Covar

bland, one-dimensional characters
it is a show about Barry Allen. :rimshot:

fade

fade

Meh. That wasn't a strong follow-up. It's fairly clear now that
wells is the reverse flash
, which is weird given the presence of someone named
Thawne--unless that's Wells's father or something
. Well, poo. There goes my hope for a Doom Patrol backdoor pilot.

Adam

Adam

Sweet, that's awesome!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Apparently, the plan for this take on Trickster is that he's an anarchist terrorist con man who helps Barry when a wannabe Trickster hits the scene.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Apparently, the plan for this take on Trickster is that he's an anarchist terrorist con man who helps Barry when a wannabe Trickster hits the scene.
Which is more or less the role of the old Trickster in the comics. Kind of. There was a new, younger, hipper Trickster hopping about that first appeared during Geoff Johns' run on the title. I get the feeling that'll be their inspiration.

I keep wanting to give the show a second chance because I see a lot of people really digging the show. Including Mark Waid. And Flash is probably my third or fourth favourite superhero, even if my Flash is Wally, not Barry.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Which is more or less the role of the old Trickster in the comics. Kind of. There was a new, younger, hipper Trickster hopping about that first appeared during Geoff Johns' run on the title. I get the feeling that'll be their inspiration.

I keep wanting to give the show a second chance because I see a lot of people really digging the show. Including Mark Waid. And Flash is probably my third or fourth favourite superhero, even if my Flash is Wally, not Barry.
Honestly, I'd suggest giving it a second chance. They've been doing a good job of capturing the right feel for the Flash, along with some good takes on characters, such as Captain Cold. I will say it suffers some when it comes to the Barry and Iris dynamic, but bad romantic business seems to just be a regular symptom of most CW shows, unfortunately. The two-part crossover they did with Arrow was good and nicely developed a relationship between the two heroes akin to Batman and Superman.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Check it out, Nick, it's a fun show and their Barry borrows a lot from comics Wally. My seven year old insists on watching it with me every week and Flash is now currently his favorite super-hero because of the show.

Covar

Covar

If you gave Gotham a second chance, there's no excuse for not doing the same for Flash.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

If you gave Gotham a second chance, there's no excuse for not doing the same for Flash.
At least Gotham isn't on CW. Oh snap. :p

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

At least Gotham isn't on CW. Oh snap. :p
Yeah, it is on the channel that destroyed Firefly.

Gryfter

Gryfter

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, it is on the channel that destroyed Firefly.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Harrison Wells is H. Wells, or H.G. Wells, implying he's a time traveler anyway. That being said, Thawne was in the pilot as a separate character.
His future computer is named Gideon...

BananaHands

BananaHands

UNF.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

DAMN, that was actually quite exciting. If you are not watching this show START NOW!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

DAMN, that was actually quite exciting. If you are not watching this show START NOW!
I have to agree. Watching Barry Allen as he took on the Reverse-Flash had some good drama to it, along with finally getting to see this show's take on the Reverse-Flash in action as the monster he is.

So, looks like Harrison Wells is the Reverse-Flash. We've already known about him being from the future or at least knowing it, but I wonder what his endgame is going to be, considering his interest in the Flash's disappearance in the future?

My guess is possibly something akin to Zoom, namely trying to turn Barry into a better hero through the twisted method of causing more tragedy to him. That said, his talk of destiny does seem to play a bit closer to Eobard Thawne and the ring he had to unlock his costume room looks like the Flash's classic costume ring. Perhaps Wells is a Flash from another timeline? Or just a descendant of Eddie Thawne?

Covar

Covar

I have to give the show props, they had me questioning the identity of Reverse Flash right up to the reveal. Mostly from them not bothering to twist it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

If Wells is Dr Zoom, how was he in 2 places at once and kick his own ass?

Covar

Covar

Time Travel or he's just that fast.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Considering what we saw at the end...

It looks like they're using the original Prof. Zoom origin where he didn't have any innate powers, and his speed came from his suit (hence applying the tachyons to it), which was actually an old Flash suit he found in the future and used advanced future science to activate the speed force remnants that Barry left in the suit by using it.

So it's mos def time travel.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I have to agree. Watching Barry Allen as he took on the Reverse-Flash had some good drama to it, along with finally getting to see this show's take on the Reverse-Flash in action as the monster he is.

So, looks like Harrison Wells is the Reverse-Flash. We've already known about him being from the future or at least knowing it, but I wonder what his endgame is going to be, considering his interest in the Flash's disappearance in the future?

My guess is possibly something akin to Zoom, namely trying to turn Barry into a better hero through the twisted method of causing more tragedy to him. That said, his talk of destiny does seem to play a bit closer to Eobard Thawne and the ring he had to unlock his costume room looks like the Flash's classic costume ring. Perhaps Wells is a Flash from another timeline? Or just a descendant of Eddie Thawne?
I still don't think Wells is Zoom - but I'm fairly certain he's going to create Zoom using that Tachyon Device. Maybe he'll use Eddie Thwane as a pawn? No one would cause Barry to push his limits more that Professor Zoom.

The Zoom Barry fought this round was clearly from the future and mentions that "we've been doing this a long time...". Zoom beating the shit outta Wells means he harbors some hatred for the man and him leaving Eddie alive suggests that it's his past self.

I like the idea that Wells is Pariah. But who knows. I love this show.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I still don't think Wells is Zoom - but I'm fairly certain he's going to create Zoom using that Tachyon Device. Maybe he'll use Eddie Thwane as a pawn? No one would cause Barry to push his limits more that Professor Zoom.

The Zoom Barry fought this round was clearly from the future and mentions that "we've been doing this a long time...". Zoom beating the shit outta Wells means he harbors some hatred for the man and him leaving Eddie alive suggests that it's his past self.

I like the idea that Wells is Pariah. But who knows. I love this show.
Well, if it's Future Eddie in the suit then he won't be Professor Zoom.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well, the professor half of that name could come from Harrison Wells. It could be that he creates Zoom as a kind of tool to toughen Barry and make him into a better hero through tragedy, but then Zoom gets out of his control and things go bad.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Honorary professorship from the school of speed!

BananaHands

BananaHands

Doctor Fate isn't even a doctor though!

@Li3n

@Li3n

You guys are taking it way too literally...

Professor Zoom is always the guy from the future that find an old Flash suit, while the guy that works besides Flash's alter ego at the police station is always just Zoom. If you search the 2 terms on wiki they will find their respective comic counterparts easy...

BananaHands

BananaHands

I seriously can't wait for the Trickster episode.

Also....
Caitlin becoming Killer Frost when?

@Li3n

@Li3n

I seriously can't wait for the Trickster episode.

Also....
Caitlin becoming Killer Frost when?
Better question:
When does Cisco become Vibe

Covar

Covar

Hopefully never on both counts. Also do those really need to be spoiled?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It's just good manners...

@Li3n

@Li3n

Oh c'mon...
her fiancée is now made of fire... of course she'll end up being made of ice. Cisco on the other hand... that might actually be surprising.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Also, I never read The Flash. But my curiosity gets the better of me and I looked up all the characters that I could on Wikipedia.

Covar

Covar

Spoiler alert Eddard Thawne is the name of Professor Zoom/Reverse Flash in the comics! Ray Palmer is the name of the Atom, and Oliver's Russian mafia friend from last season was named after KGBeast.

BananaHands

BananaHands

did u kno that

OLIVER QUEEN BECOMES THE GREEN ARROW??!?!?1/11/11//

Covar

Covar

:aaah::aaah::aaah::aaah:

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Another cast member has been added: Peyton List (from Mad Men) as Lisa Snart, also known as Golden Glider.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Another cast member has been added: Peyton List (from Mad Men) as Lisa Snart, also known as Golden Glider.
Mirror Master when???

Covar

Covar

The most amazing bit of casting news between Flash and Arrow so far has to be Marc Singer as Lt. Matthew Shrieve

BananaHands

BananaHands

Better question:
When does Cisco become Vibe
Soon, friend. Soon.

Nicholas Gonzales will also appear in "Rogue Time" as Dante Ramon, "Cisco’s handsome and charming older brother, who is used to being the family favorite. Dante is a gifted pianist, but he never reached his potential and secretly resents Cisco’s success. When the brothers are thrust into extreme circumstances, Dante must rely on Cisco if they’re going to survive."
http://tvline.com/2014/12/16/the-flash-season-1-cast-nicholas-gonzalez-cisco-brother-dante/

@Li3n

@Li3n

Eddard Thawne.
Is that the Professor Zoom that get beheaded at the end of season 1? (it's Eobard)

fade

fade

If you all want to get pedantic, at many (most?) universities, adjunct, assistants, and associates shouldn't (not can't, but shouldn't) use the title "Professor". They're just "Doctor". "Professor" is reserved for full profs. But like I say, it's pretty informal.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Someone got a shot of Devon Graye on-set as Axel Walker, a copy-cat taking on the Trickster name.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Someone got a shot of Devon Graye on-set as Axel Walker, a copy-cat taking on the Trickster name.

Pretty good take on him compared to the comics. Not exact, but close.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Pretty good take on him compared to the comics. Not exact, but close.

Yeah. I'm almost a little surprised just how faithful they got with how goofy it looks. My favorite touch, though, is the t-shirt. It's basically a black and white version of the Trickster's costume top from the '90s live-action series.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I love this show so so so so so so much.[DOUBLEPOST=1422994604,1422994465][/DOUBLEPOST]

Gryfter

Gryfter

This week's episode wasn't bad, little weird-ed out that they introduced Linda Park as a date for Barry, seeing as she was Wally West's gal, but okay...... that epilogue though...

Gorilla fucking Grodd!!!!! Helll yeah!!!!!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

First they mention the speed force by name in the last episode, now they actually show us Gorilla Grodd. Man, I am loving just how much they're going for and am now ready for anything.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Also, to go along with the Devon Graye pic, here is one of Mark Hamill as James Jesse (though not quite as full a picture as the Axel Walker one).

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'd love a scene like this eventually. Not this episode, obviously. But a later one if Mark Hamill's Trickster breaks out.

fade

fade

That whole episode was awesome. Flash really does have the best villains. I have not caught up with the show, but I hope they do Captain Cold right. He is probably one of DC's most complex characters, and one of its best kept secrets. Piper, too, while we're at it.

BananaHands

BananaHands

That whole episode was awesome. Flash really does have the best villains. I have not caught up with the show, but I hope they do Captain Cold right. He is probably one of DC's most complex characters, and one of its best kept secrets. Piper, too, while we're at it.
So far, so good.

He's not perfect - but he's developing as a villain just as the Flash is developing as a hero.[DOUBLEPOST=1423262156,1423261860][/DOUBLEPOST]I especially loved this:

fade

fade

That's good. The thing I particularly liked about Piper and Cold is that you kind of root for them a little, despite their villainy (and Piper's short-lived heroic stint).

phil

phil

....do they have toilets in those cells?

Covar

Covar

Yes. It's what they use to flush their prisoner's civil rights down.

evilmike

evilmike

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Descriptions leaked for new heroes in either Flash and/or Arrow.

If we get Booster Gold and Static Shock I will literally shit myself.

fade

fade

Gross.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I haven't watched any Flash since the first episode, but I admit that I LOVE how they're playing up Grodd like a horror movie monster. He's a 600 pound psychic gorilla. You SHOULD be fucking scared.

Covar

Covar

I haven't watched any Flash since the first episode, but I admit that I LOVE how they're playing up Grodd like a horror movie monster. He's a 600 pound psychic gorilla. You SHOULD be fucking scared.
He's also a Gorilla which I imagine is incredibly hard to pull off looking good on a TV budget. Best to keep him as of the camera as much as possible I imagine.

Bowielee

Bowielee

He's also a Gorilla which I imagine is incredibly hard to pull off looking good on a TV budget. Best to keep him as of the camera as much as possible I imagine.
Not God... GRODD!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Man, this show is ramping up hardcore.

Time travel or not, Sisco and Wells/Thawne sold the hell out of that revelation scene. Good stuff.

Simfers

Simfers

Yeah, that was an incredible episode. I've been loving this season so far, but this one was special.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Yeah, that was an incredible episode. I've been loving this season so far, but this one was special.
Between this and Arrow introducing the Lazarus... Springs, it looks like DC/Warner is finally embracing it's comicbookyness...

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Between this and Arrow introducing the Lazarus... Springs, it looks like DC/Warner is finally embracing it's comicbookyness...
But only on television, by the looks of things.

@Li3n

@Li3n

But only on television, by the looks of things.
As long as we get some Grundy it will do... for now.

And, if it's successful, maybe they'll eventually get it right on the big screen side too...

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

As long as we get some Grundy it will do... for now.

And, if it's successful, maybe they'll eventually get it right on the big screen side too...
Actually, we did get Solomon Grundy, just not called by that name back in season 2 of Arrow. Of course, maybe they could end up bringing him back in that Mirakuru serum working more wonders on him than originally thought.

As for The Flash, god, this last episode was incredible. So many bombs dropped in those last 15 minutes. I can't wait to see how they pick the story up from there.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Actually, we did get Solomon Grundy, just not called by that name back in season 2 of Arrow. Of course, maybe they could end up bringing him back in that Mirakuru serum working more wonders on him than originally thought.
The episode ended with some glowing green liquid dripping to where Cyrus Gold was buried under rubble... that's what i was referring to.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

The episode ended with some glowing green liquid dripping to where Cyrus Gold was buried under rubble... that's what i was referring to.
Ah, alright. Well, considering that Arrow will soon have a villain who can channel plasma energy in the form of Deathbolt and Ray Palmer is now suited up as the Atom, it wouldn't surprise me if we see Cyrus Gold return, perhaps with an extra kick to him.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

More news on that mysterious Arrow/The Flash spinoff. Two of the "first-time" heroes have been announced and casted. We'll be getting Arthur Darvill as Rip Hunter and Ciara Renee as Hawkgirl.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

More news on that mysterious Arrow/The Flash spinoff. Two of the "first-time" heroes have been announced and casted. We'll be getting Arthur Darvill as Rip Hunter and Ciara Renee as Hawkgirl.
This production company sure loves some ex-companions.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Ahem.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAN'T WAIT!

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well, that was some whack shit...

The 25th century has some nasty tech...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Giving this show a second chance and watched the second and third episodes today (introduced The Mist and....Multiplex, I think?).

And it's still...okay. I really don't see the great show that people keep raving about. It's not bad, don't get me wrong, but the way people talk about it, it's like the best show ever. The stories and acting are still your typical trying-too-hard CW fluff and the villains are incredibly bland.

I guess the stuff with Harrison Wells is interesting, but it's just not doing it for me.

It's weird, because I love The Flash. He's my third favourite superhero. But I just don't see what others see.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Giving this show a second chance and watched the second and third episodes today (introduced The Mist and....Multiplex, I think?).

And it's still...okay. I really don't see the great show that people keep raving about. It's not bad, don't get me wrong, but the way people talk about it, it's like the best show ever. The stories and acting are still your typical trying-too-hard CW fluff and the villains are incredibly bland.

I guess the stuff with Harrison Wells is interesting, but it's just not doing it for me.

It's weird, because I love The Flash. He's my third favourite superhero. But I just don't see what others see.
It takes a bit to ramp up and it's definitely a CW show but as it gets going and does some world building it gets better. It's by no means the second coming of shows but it embraces the character and his rogue gallery very well. I would say try and stick it out, the show is very rewarding if you recognize that it's actually a DC property being presented in a non-NU52 way... that's a rarity now a days.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I honestly don't know what to say, I mean, it's miles better than both SHIELD and Arrow, and only gets more interesting as the show goes on. It's easily the best superhero show on TV right now.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I honestly don't know what to say, I mean, it's miles better than both SHIELD and Arrow, and only gets more interesting as the show goes on. It's easily the best superhero show on TV right now.
Eh, saying it's better than SHIELD or Arrow doesn't help much since I gave up both of them long before the end of their first seasons.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Man, I quite like Gotham, SHIELD and Arrow (though that latter one really does have very weak moments). Haven't seen Flash yet because it's still not airing in Belgium; still, I feel like I'm a much less demanding viewer of superhero TV shows. I do think this has something to do with barely being aware of these heroes existence beforehand.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

It takes a bit to ramp up and it's definitely a CW show but as it gets going and does some world building it gets better. It's by no means the second coming of shows but it embraces the character and his rogue gallery very well. I would say try and stick it out, the show is very rewarding if you recognize that it's actually a DC property being presented in a non-NU52 way... that's a rarity now a days.
Seriously. Stick with it and you'll find it to be good. It's done a great job building its world and has been really embracing the Flash's cast of characters well. This last appearance was particularly good, not only for how it expands and informs the main ongoing story, but also in the fun of Mark Hamill once again playing James Jesse, the Trickster.

fade

fade

Will he have Meowth with him?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Eh, saying it's better than SHIELD or Arrow doesn't help much since I gave up both of them long before the end of their first seasons.
Well, I can say that you're really missing out then, Flash and SHIELD both are good shows. Yes, like any show they have moments of weakness, but both have grown into really solid, good story shows.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Basically all three shows get better every episode, but if you're willing to drop them before the first season ends they just might not be for you.

e: I should also point out that you're really missing out on some great cape TV by dropping them so early.

Bowielee

Bowielee

To be fair, comic book wise, SHIELD really only started embracing the combicbookyiness in the current season, most likely because the entire arc of the first season was built around building to the events of Winter Soldier. But this season we're getting powers left and right and the introduction of the Inhumans.

Honestly, behind Spider-Man and the X-men, Flash is tied with Batman for the next in line of my favorite comics, so believe me, I have some high standards for the character (though, to be fair, my favorite Flash was Wally West, not Barry Allen). I love this show from bottom to top. I hope they get in Mirror Master so we can have the full rogues gallery. I want to see the full Capt. Cold, Capt. Boomerang, Heatwave, Trickster, Pied Piper, Mirror Master dustup with the Flash.

Also, they get points from me for keeping the Pied Piper gay.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

To be fair, comic book wise, SHIELD really only started embracing the combicbookyiness in the current season, most likely because the entire arc of the first season was built around building to the events of Winter Soldier. But this season we're getting powers left and right and the introduction of the Inhumans.

Honestly, behind Spider-Man and the X-men, Flash is tied with Batman for the next in line of my favorite comics, so believe me, I have some high standards for the character (though, to be fair, my favorite Flash was Wally West, not Barry Allen). I love this show from bottom to top. I hope they get in Mirror Master so we can have the full rogues gallery. I want to see the full Capt. Cold, Capt. Boomerang, Heatwave, Trickster, Pied Piper, Mirror Master dustup with the Flash.

Also, they get points from me for keeping the Pied Piper gay.
I actually laughed out loud when Flash called Cold and his goons a Rogues Gallery. It was great.

I also love the Prison Break reunion of the actors (Cold and Heatwave), too.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Just noticed I forgot Weather Wizard in that group.

I could do without their version of Golden Glider, though. She was always a weak sauce character anyway.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

So Barry's Dad...

Is he the Flash that put the Trickster in jail for 20 years? Since he was the Flash that was on 20 years ago.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I could do without their version of Golden Glider, though. She was always a weak sauce character anyway.
Yeah. I was hoping they'd at least give her tricked-out in-line skates or something. Actually, by giving her that gold gun, she's sort of more like Goldface.

Covar

Covar

Flash has arguably the second best rogues gallery in comics. Easily one of the deepest.

How great was Mark Hamill in this weeks episode? This show has been great at letting the Rogues chew scenery.
I am your father

So Barry's Dad...

Is he the Flash that put the Trickster in jail for 20 years? Since he was the Flash that was on 20 years ago.
They really need to let him play Jay Garrick if when they do a Flash of Two Worlds storyline. And I say if, because they've proven already that they're willing to play ball with all of Flash's toys.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

How great was Mark Hamill in this weeks episode? This show has been great at letting the Rogues chew scenery.
I am your father
Mark Hamill was terrific. It was clear that it was fun for him to step back into this role, and I like the dynamic they did with James Jesse and Axel Walker. I hope we see more from the two of them in the future.

Simfers

Simfers

That was an incredible perflrmance by Hammill. I hope he flossed properly after chewing all that scenery...

@Li3n

@Li3n

The stories and acting are still your typical trying-too-hard CW fluff

I've said it a million times, to actually enjoy the show you have to be able to ignore the CW-esque stuff.

And so far the show has shown it's not afraid to introduce any of Flash's rogue gallery, or any other villain ;)

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

*Didn't know whether to post this here or in Arrow, this seemed more appropriate*

The CW stuff might be somewhat cheesy, but god-damn if they aren't having fun making some awfully delicious cheese!!

@Li3n

@Li3n

I'd pay to watch a cage match or two...

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Is it just me, or does it seem like characters from Arrow get more likeable when they're on The Flash? Last night's episode has Joe West and Cisco Ramon take a trip to Starling City for an investigation. Captain Lance actually seemed somewhat pleasant as he and Joe talked about their daughter issues instead of foaming at the mouth about bringing down Oliver Queen, while Laurel Lance's interactions with Cisco had a personality to them that felt more akin to the comic book Black Canary. Heck, she even gave him a little reward for enhancing her sister's sonic weapon, which Cisco suggests she call "The Canary Cry".

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well Arrow has been on the "woe is us" warpath for a while now, while Flash has managed to keep it fun despite of it's time travel murder background...

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Man, why is it mind-control/shapeshifter episodes mean everyone needs to be insanely stupid all of a sudden? So many stupid decisions they'd never make in any other episode.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Man, why is it mind-control/shapeshifter episodes mean everyone needs to be insanely stupid all of a sudden? So many stupid decisions they'd never make in any other episode.
I blame Laurel.

@Li3n

@Li3n

To be fair, having never experienced shapeshifters one might be excused from not thinking about it as well as they could...

But it would have worked better if Barry turned around, then did a "oh, wait" face right before being knocked out... that way he doesn't come off as holding the stupid ball...

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

To be fair, having never experienced shapeshifters one might be excused from not thinking about it as well as they could...

But it would have worked better if Barry turned around, then did a "oh, wait" face right before being knocked out... that way he doesn't come off as holding the stupid ball...
There's that, Iris and the other girl stopping in that perfectly framed "he can escape here" spot (and thinking handcuffs would be enough to stop a SHAPESHIFTER COME ON GUYS), and how Everyman was just awful at pretending to be other people.

I don't mind characters being stupid sometimes, but this whole episode basically dropped everyone's IQ by like 30 points to make sure the show lasted a full 45 minutes.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

There's that, Iris and the other girl stopping in that perfectly framed "he can escape here" spot (and thinking handcuffs would be enough to stop a SHAPESHIFTER COME ON GUYS), and how Everyman was just awful at pretending to be other people.

I don't mind characters being stupid sometimes, but this whole episode basically dropped everyone's IQ by like 30 points to make sure the show lasted a full 45 minutes.
Yeah, aside from the enjoyable business in Starling City, this basically felt like an episode to pass the time until we get some more Reverse-Flash action.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, aside from the enjoyable business in Starling City, this basically felt like an episode to pass the time until we get some more Reverse-Flash action.
Yeah, I mean next week's preview looked awesome as hell, and I really hope it makes up for the 90% of this episode that was pretty garbage.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Yeah, I mean next week's preview looked awesome as hell, and I really hope it makes up for the 90% of this episode that was pretty garbage.
Hopefully. The next episode we've got looks to have a big confrontation with the Reverse-Flash, and the following episode after that will be the first big use of Gorilla Grodd.

Also, how much longer before we see Cisco Ramon and Caitlin Snow gain their respective super identities, do you reckon?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Dunno, I guess it'll depend on how things go after Reverse Flash. Vibe's still a hero, but Killer Frost is a villain and one of Firestorm's primary enemies. I suppose we'll have to see how this season ends and what happens to STAR Labs after Wells is said and done.

Covar

Covar

Hopefully. The next episode we've got looks to have a big confrontation with the Reverse-Flash, and the following episode after that will be the first big use of Gorilla Grodd.

Also, how much longer before we see Cisco Ramon and Caitlin Snow gain their respective super identities, do you reckon?
If we're lucky? Never.

evilmike

evilmike

I imagine we will see at least one of them by the end of the season -- just not in the original timeline. I think the Flash will go back, change the past, and return to a present that is worse than the one he left.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It seems to me that if we do get one it'd likely be Cisco, if nothing else he's the more interesting character by a mile.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

It seems to me that if we do get one it'd likely be Cisco, if nothing else he's the more interesting character by a mile.
I'm thinking that we see Cisco become Vibe sooner, especially considering how much they seem to be pushing his work with soundwaves.

Also, he managed to remember fragments of the timeline where Reverse-Flash kills him after being saved with Barry's vibrating hand defibrillation. If I'm remembering it right, the comics have sometimes touched on the idea of alternate dimensions or timelines vibrating at different frequencies. I think that incident sparks the beginning path of Cisco becoming Vibe.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Tomorrow night! Grodd!

@Li3n

@Li3n

Man, now Arrow seems so... underwhelming.

I mean they made Grodd work on live action TV...

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Holy crap I want Iris to just not be on the show anymore, she was unbearable this episode.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I wasn't sure if I should post it somewhere like here or just start a thread for the DC/CW TVverse that's forming, but here is an extended look at CBS's new series Supergirl.

Simfers

Simfers

Well that looks like fun. Do we know if it shares a universe with Arrow and Flash, or is it a separate one, like Gotham and the late Constantine?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well that looks like fun. Do we know if it shares a universe with Arrow and Flash, or is it a separate one, like Gotham and the late Constantine?
I'm not sure if there has been a definite answer, but one of the showrunners has said that there is the potential for crossovers with Arrow and Flash, suggesting that it is.

I hope that it does turn out to be enjoyable. At the moment, I'm curious about what they'll do with the guy who Kara confides in with her secret identity as a hero. That character is apparently Winslow Schott, best known as the Superman villain Toyman.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

We don't know about Arrow/Flash being in the same Universe, but CBS owns a bit of CW and the same producer is running all 3 shows. I doubt Gotham since it is not related to A/F or CBS, and it is set 20 years in the past. But it has messed up tech like Archer.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Oh and my favorite moment of the finale...

Jay Garrick's helmet tumbling through the wormhole.

phil

phil

Oh and my favorite moment of the finale...

Jay Garrick's helmet tumbling through the wormhole.
That part retroactively bugged me 'cause it was just there without any real mention of it! Like we can't not talk about this just a little bit. But instead he was just all "WELP! Exit: stage left!"

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

That part retroactively bugged me 'cause it was just there without any real mention of it! Like we can't not talk about this just a little bit. But instead he was just all "WELP! Exit: stage left!"
I hope it's explored more in the next season and that we get a "Flash of Two Worlds" situation.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I hope it's explored more in the next season and that we get a "Flash of Two Worlds" situation.
I swear to God we'd better get a 90's Flash cameo if this happens, complete with "Dad?".

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I swear to God we'd better get a 90's Flash cameo if this happens, complete with "Dad?".
Oh my god.

Imagine if John Wesley Shipp turned up as Jay Garrick from an alternate universe.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Oh my god.

Imagine if John Wesley Shipp turned up as Jay Garrick from an alternate universe.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That's been my hope from the start.

BananaHands

BananaHands

There was mention of Earth-2 popping up next season.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Geoff Johns has confirmed that Jay Garrick will be turning up in The Flash.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/4...jay-garrick-will-appear-on-the-flash#/slide/1

Covar

Covar

Obvious news is obvious.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I think I'd prefer Max Mercury myself. And an Impulse spin-off. Every time I reread Impulse: Reckless Youth I think that it deserves to be made into a TV series.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The Edge showed up on set:

e: He's Atom Smasher.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

They're released a shot of the new suit for the second season:

Gryfter

Gryfter

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

They've announced that Dr. Light will be introduced in the next season. Not the Arthur Light version, however. Instead, they're going with Kimiyo Hoshi.

fade

fade

Season 1 is on Netflix, so I decided to catch up. I was really disappointed in Captain Cold. They did briefly attempt to make him calculating, but there wasn't any of the famous grudging respect. Plus it seems to me they reversed his position on taking lives from the comics, or am I crazy? He won't take a cop's life, but he will take a civilian's?

Covar

Covar

Season 1 is on Netflix, so I decided to catch up. I was really disappointed in Captain Cold. They did briefly attempt to make him calculating, but there wasn't any of the famous grudging respect. Plus it seems to me they reversed his position on taking lives from the comics, or am I crazy? He won't take a cop's life, but he will take a civilian's?
No that's right. Cold's issue is he doesn't want to escalate with the authorities. Kill a civilian it's business as usual, kill a cop and the entire force is going to come down hard.

Are you still catching up? Cold shows up a few more times and his interaction with Barry is pretty great.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

How far have you watched, or have you seen the whole season? It's clear they're building up Captain Cold into how he normally is in the comics.

fade

fade

Just his first appearance so far.

I'm still annoyed by live action media's avoidance of comic book handles. They always exercise that tired old trope where the media names the hero/villain. Having Cisco do it is slightly more amusing, but geez, maybe let the villain identify himself for once.

evilmike

evilmike

Last night's episode had the best Easter Egg since a certain pugilistic projectile was used on Arrow...
flash of two worlds.jpg

Bubble181

Bubble181

Fox just started showing Flash season 1. Just the first episode so far.
1. Wow, things sure went fast as far as introductions and stuff go, certainly compared to Arrow
2. If this is supposed to be the "cheerier", "more colorful" show compared to Arrow, I'm not seeing it in this first episode.

Covar

Covar

Fox just started showing Flash season 1. Just the first episode so far.
1. Wow, things sure went fast as far as introductions and stuff go, certainly compared to Arrow
2. If this is supposed to be the "cheerier", "more colorful" show compared to Arrow, I'm not seeing it in this first episode.
Flash is "Superman" to Arrow's "Batman." The entire show moves faster than Arrow, they're not afraid to move through plot lines other shows would drag out. Like Joe not knowing about Barry's new super powers.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Just watched this last episode and... man I wish it had not been so terrible. Bad acting bad dialog and just... ugh. Could have been a fantastic story but it was just so poorly executed imo.

Frank

Frank

So far watching it on Netflix I'm liking the show FAR more than Arrow.

Then Clancy Brown showed up. Super IN!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Frank

Frank

15 episodes in and I never thought Wentworth "Charisma Vacuum" Miller would be my favorite part of anything. The Prison Break brothers look like they're having so much fun in their scenes. Captain Cold rules

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Frank

Frank

So I just finished my marathon of the first season of the Flash. Here are some bullet pointed thoughts. I may get a bit spoilery.

- CW shows cannot get enough Amells. Arrow and Firestorm and Eddie Thawn who is basically a Stephen Amell doppleganger.

- Every time he or Reverse Flash pretended to turn their hoodie into a mask with that lame camera cut pullup thing, I laughed. It looked silly every time.

- It's cool they tried to do Grodd. He looked low budget but I can't even begin to imagine how expensive it would have been to make a CG gorilla look good in a show with so many FX shots to begin with.

- Ed was a great villain. They did a super good job with that. He was a legitimately good season long villain. That's really rare. They in no way dropped the ball there.

- Captain Cold rules.

- I don't watch Arrow so finding out that Captain Boomerang was only in the Arrow bummed me RIGHT the fuck out. What the hell?

- I thought Firestorm had way more powers than just being an Amellized Human Torch. I'm not to up on my DC characters though.

- The Mark Hamill Trickster episode was fucking great. Loved all the shots from the old show.

- Speaking of the old show, old Flash playing his dad is super rad.

- Finally, who the fuck was the guy with the laser eyes in the transportation episode? Did I skip an episode by accident? I JUST LOOKED THIS UP. Another character from an Arrow episode. DAMN YOU ARROW! It is unforgivable that Captain Boomerang was only in Arrow. UNFORGIVABLE!

- OK, so, if Eddie killing himself stops RF, then how is Barry's mom still dead? Wha-haaa? Also, Wells.

- Captain Cold rules.

Frank

Frank

Well, the first episode of this season was kinda dumb.

Atom Smasher looked remarkably silly when he grew and the whole Barry's dad thing was the dumbest thing in this show yet. Well, that and Firestorm getting bumped out between seasons. You know that cliffhanger we ended season one on? Yeah, it got fixed. By the way, Firestorm's dead now.

Barry's Dad: I know you just got me out of prison, but I gotta go.

Barry: Why?

Barry's Dad: Cause, you know, you have to be, you know, I'm only a guest star.

Barry: DADDY!!!!!

Covar

Covar

So, um... we need to talk about what happened in last nights episode.

KING SHARK was not only teased, HE SHOWED UP! :Leyla:

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

So, um... we need to talk about what happened in last nights episode.

KING SHARK was not only teased, HE SHOWED UP! :Leyla:
...And I desperately hope he's not dead, even though he probably is and got to look so great because they poured a lot of budget into this brief appearance. Even so, it is friggin' awesome we even got King Shark at all.

fade

fade

So finished season 1. So let me get this right. We spend a whole episode telling Barry that he can erase his mothers death but that he won't remember any of this, establishing the fictional time travel rules. Which they immediately break when Wells is erased but it has no effect on the current timeline of which Wells was a part.

evilmike

evilmike

So finished season 1. So let me get this right. We spend a whole episode telling Barry that he can erase his mothers death but that he won't remember any of this, establishing the fictional time travel rules. Which they immediately break when Wells is erased but it has no effect on the current timeline of which Wells was a part.
This was something that I was bothered by as well. I've heard it said that all stories about time travel are inherently broken, but the Flash storyline was more broken than most. It didn't make any sense even by its own rules. (And, I know, if you go to the comics, the answer is likely "something, something, Speed Force", but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.)

What was worse was that the whole season built up to Barry's monumental decision about if he should save his mother, and that choice was literally hand waved away by the other version of himself.

fade

fade

So I started season 2, and it looks like
Cisco is finally getting his powers

which makes me wonder how long before we see

Killer Frost, but I like Caitlin like she is. It will be really difficult to make her transition to a villain. Though I'm guessing it has something to do with Ronnie disappearing

I also see they went with New 52 flavored
Vibe, given the 52 portals and the fact that he can see cross-dimensionally

evilmike

evilmike

which makes me wonder how long before we see

Killer Frost, but I like Caitlin like she is. It will be really difficult to make her transition to a villain. Though I'm guessing it has something to do with Ronnie disappearing
They could sidestep the issue by making Killer Frost from Earth-2.

Also, technically, we already have, thanks to the speed force montage
killer-frost-the-flash.png

(via Collider)

Danielle Panabaker discussed the character recently:

And they recently released a better image of the character.
BigFrost.jpg

(via SuperheroHype)

fade

fade

They could sidestep the issue by making Killer Frost from Earth-2.

Also, technically, we already have, thanks to the speed force montage
View attachment 19582
(via Collider)

Danielle Panabaker discussed the character recently:

And they recently released a better image of the character.
View attachment 19583
(via SuperheroHype)
Whoa. I look forward to a reappearance. For science.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Holy shit.

fade

fade

Yeah, I like how the camera lingered on Caitlin for a moment when she said, "I don't think any of us would turn evil if we got superpowers."

BananaHands

BananaHands

Yeah, I like how the camera lingered on Caitlin for a moment when she said, "I don't think any of us would turn evil if we got superpowers."
I had this theory that she was already her E2 counterpart planted by Zoom but E2 Well's watch disproved that.

Also can we talk about how

Cisco was able to shoot Zoom? Vibe's abilities can help him disrupt the speed force in the comics, so maybe that has something to do with that?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Okay, so I didn't want to say anything until I caught up all the way, but...I'm now caught up all the way on The Flash. I gave the show a second - or is it third? - chance.

What finally won me over was Captain Cold. His debut episode was the next one in my queue. And not only did they nail the character, but the actor they have portraying him was probably the absolutely perfect casting I've seen in a long time. He nails the detached, slightly bemused attitude that Cold has to a tee. Any time he showed up throughout season 1 (and then season 2), it was an absolute treat.

And then the show just got better and better. I actually managed to avoid finding out who the Reverse Flash was. Or, I mean, I knew it was Wells, but the show kept throwing curveballs at me to think otherwise. Yes, even though I knew who it was, I still didn't believe it until they officially revealed it. That's how good the mystery was. It reminded me of when Spectacular Spider-Man had me second guessing the Green Goblin's identity. Really well-played.

And while I still think the actor playing Barry is too young, he's grown on me. I don't like that Linda Park showed up and dated him for a bit, but the actress is so likable and adorable that I couldn't complain too much.

The fact that the show has had Gorilla Grodd and King Shark in it? Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

And now I'm caught all the way up to the most recent episode, with the first showdown with Zoom. And...holy shit, I want the next episode now. When does this show air?

Covar

Covar

Tuesday's at 8.

fade

fade

Zooms design is definitely well done.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Guys, a crazy idea occurred to me about Zoom...

What if it's Earth-2 Henry Allen?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

GORILLA CITY!!!!!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

GORILLA CITY!!!!!
I know, right? I never thought they'd suggest the presence, let alone show us a small tease, of Gorilla City. God, I love how much this show is totally willing to run with crazy comic book stuff.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I believe it.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I believe it.
Could also go with Earth2 Joe West for similar reasons.

Zappit

Zappit

That would be likely, given the way they've been Easter Egging the 90's series.

Seriously, the Trickster episode was fun as hell.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don't think we have a thread for Legends of Tomorrow, so here's the latest trailer for it. To which I say: hell yes, I'm in.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Intriguing. Though I hate cross-overs, they're one of the things from comics they didn't need to copy. An occasional guest appearance, no problem, but combining story lines and all that is annoying as hell....because not everyone can watch everything right when it airs. It makes binge watching a problem, it creates issues on DVD release, and it's incredibly crap for anyone not in the USA - the Flash and Arrow show on different channels, on different time slots, and there's at least a season of difference between "where they are", based on what I know so far.

Also, huh, all of those become good guys? Three out of them are villains at the moment :confused: :p

Simfers

Simfers

Bubs, if there's two things we can learn from comics, it's:

1. Death is, at best, a temporary inconvenience.

2. Alignment is a VERY flexible thing.

fade

fade

Well, two of them are Rogues. Those guys will go good at the drop of a hat. Especially if there's a buck in it.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Guess who's back for next week's episode?

Mark Hamill as the Trickster! And it'll be a team-up with Weather Wizard and Captain Cold!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Just finished season 1. That was excellent, way better than I ever thought it'd be. Guess I'll copy Frank's bullet ways. I want to preface this that while I've always liked the Flash, I knew pretty much nothing about his comics or villains or anything going into this, having only seen him on episodes of Justice League/Unlimited.

- Pretty much lost my shit at the first Grodd appearance. I could not believe they were doing Gorilla Grodd in this. I figured Justice League Unlimited was the last I'd see of him.
- "You ever run fast? Like, REALLY fast? That's me. 'Cause I'm the Flash." Those intro narratives got a little silly.
- Joe West's eyes can make any scene feel emotionally wrenching.
- I didn't expect to like Cisco and Caitlin so much. Outside of Buffy, a lot of the backup squad characters in TV shows annoy me, but these two really grew on me.
- Arrow appearances did not make me want to watch Arrow, but did make me feel like I need to. My exposure to Green Arrow is even less than to the Flash, essentially just his appearances in Injustice and that one animated movie where he proposes to Black Canary, but he seemed more of this cocky Robin Hood character than Broody Not-Batman as he seems to be when he appears on The Flash. That said, I did enjoy his appearances on this show, and Felicity was cool.
- Captain Cold is my favorite villain here. There's some level of stupid/illogical nature to his otherwise smart personality, but the actor sells the hell out of every line. My wife is annoyed by him, but I love it.
- That first time travel episode. Holy shit, that was phenomenal.
- I really appreciate that the finale wasn't this huge action-packed event, but a character dilemma. I really wasn't sure how things would end up in the end.

Started season 2, first episode was a little underwhelming, but I'm confident it will pick up after the quality of season 1. Really thought I'd just like this show, didn't expect to love it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Oh forgot--Mark Hamil was fantastic. I laughed through a lot of that episode.

Bubble181

Bubble181

We're now coming up near the end of season 1. One of the problems is that we still haven't gotten all of Arrow season 2. Just had the episode where
the Atom first shows up. Soooooo...They don't even bother with spoilers, do they? Felicity rattles off a whole list - Black Canary, a death, Ollie gone to the League of Assassins,... and of course, the Atom itself, being her boyfriend. O-kay then.

Frank

Frank

We're now coming up near the end of season 1. One of the problems is that we still haven't gotten all of Arrow season 2. Just had the episode where
the Atom first shows up. Soooooo...They don't even bother with spoilers, do they? Felicity rattles off a whole list - Black Canary, a death, Ollie gone to the League of Assassins,... and of course, the Atom itself, being her boyfriend. O-kay then.
The shows are meant to be watched in tandem. You can't blame them for your personal viewing habits.

Bubble181

Bubble181

The shows are meant to be watched in tandem. You can't blame them for your personal viewing habits.
"Personal viewing habits" =/= "What they're broadcasting and selling in Belgium". Season three of Arrow is simply not available by any legal means here. Can hardly blame me for that.

Frank

Frank

"Personal viewing habits" =/= "What they're broadcasting and selling in Belgium". Season three of Arrow is simply not available by any legal means here. Can hardly blame me for that.
Yeah, but they don't take small foreign markets into consideration when they make their shows. Blame your broadcasters.

evilmike

evilmike

@Li3n

@Li3n

Are those 2 Daddy Wests?

EDIT: Nope, that's Wally's head... forgot about him...

fade

fade

It's interesting the way my brother and I notice the same things about TV shows and movies. Like he sent me a text about the Hawks flying. Which is weird, because it stood out to me, too. It seems like they're just swinging them like a pendulum or a playground swing, which was the same thing he noticed.

Zappit

Zappit

And it's back on Hulu this week! Guess it was just a bullshit negotiation tactic on CBS's part when they pulled it and stated they were going to start their own streaming service.

With blackjack! And hookers!

Aw, screw the whole thing!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So, is Superman a thing then?

Because if that's the case, stuff from The Flash season 1 shouldn't have been as unbelievable as people in Central City treated it.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Harumph. I don't want gloomy Flash in my spunky Supergirl.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Covar

Covar

So, is Superman a thing then?

Because if that's the case, stuff from The Flash season 1 shouldn't have been as unbelievable as people in Central City treated it.
Season 2 has been dealing a whole bunch with Earth-2 and established the multi-verse. They don't need to worry about a shared universe.

I'm also assuming that they're having Flash from the TV show, and not just Grant Gustin playing Flash from Supergirl's Earth.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Season 2 has been dealing a whole bunch with Earth-2 and established the multi-verse. They don't need to worry about a shared universe.

I'm also assuming that they're having Flash from the TV show, and not just Grant Gustin playing Flash from Supergirl's Earth.
Right, somehow I forgot about the multi-verse (I was caught up, I swear). Okay, we'll just have to see how they play it. Will surely be more interesting than the movies. So far Earth-2 appears to be much, much stranger than Earth-1.

phil

phil

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnBenchNow

This sub is fantastic. It has great episode summaries like this one

My favorite part is

Or

+

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, I wouldn't want to go back to The Felicity Smoak Show either.[DOUBLEPOST=1456507654,1456507342][/DOUBLEPOST]And of course

Zoom is "Jay," we already know there's a version of him out there named Hunter Zolomon, which is Zoom's real name. What I'm wondering now is if they're going to explain that Zoom doesn't actually work off the Speed Force and his powers are time-based.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Harumph. I don't want gloomy Flash in my spunky Supergirl.
You call this gloomy?

chris

chris

After watching the first look of the Flash/Supergirl crossover I had a thought.
Barry comes from a world Superman, Supergirl or Batman don't exist or a character in Flash/Arrow whould have made an comment about a vigilante in Gotham, a weird fast flying object in Metropolis or maybe a mention of Wayne Industries. However in the spin off show Legends of tomorrow also set in the Arrowverse Rip Hunter says he's seen the dark knight fall and the man of steel die. In the world of Supergirl Arrow and Flash don't exist as far as we know. There wasn't a mention of Gotham or Batman either.
Have Batman and Superman not startet their careers in the Arrowverse yet?
Are they planning a Crisis on Infinite Earths kind of story for later combining all current DC tv shows in a TV mini series event as a grand finale?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Green Arrow did make a mention of Oracle once, "but that name is taken."

chris

chris

Green Arrow did make a mention of Oracle once, "but that name is taken."
Didn't know that. I admit I haven't watched every episode of Arrow, so maybe there is some stuff in the show.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Well, season 2 is in the books, and it was pretty good. Super happy to see

John Wesley Shipp in a Flash costume and goin' fast one more time.

Also, it sounds like we'll be seeing

More Harrison Wells in season 3, as Tom Cavanaugh's been confirmed as a recurring actor for the coming season.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Kid Flash and Cisco has the hots for Well's daughter...

I miss the spoiler button.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Tom Felton joins the cast for s3 as a regular character.

evilmike

evilmike

First pics of Kid Flash (io9):

phil

phil

Huh, I thought they were going to go with having whatshername be KF as a curveball

Covar

Covar

I like it. Similar to the Jay Garrick costume from last season it's very much the comic costume with the show's design aesthetic.

figmentPez

figmentPez

This is so cheesy, but it is also so glorious!

Welcome to the Jungle, Kara.

Tress

Tress

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

For most of you, it's time to begin season 3.

For me, it's time to resume the second half of season 2.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Damn we started back on a rough episode. But a lot of it reminded me why I love this show. It's great that they get to do so many crazy things and still have a heart.

Season 2, episode 13
Bad enough he gets Earth 2's Joe killed, but I wondered about Nora Allen. Sure enough ...

PatrThom

PatrThom

For most of you, it's time to begin season 3.
For me, it's time to resume the second half of season 2.
You need to go faster.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You need to go faster.

--Patrick
Six episodes to go!

Last night watch s2e17, "Flash Back."

Barry: I have to go back in time to learn how to go faster.

My wife: You're an idiot.

Everyone: You might alter time and it could go really badly.

My wife: Yeah.

Barry: I gotta try.

My wife: FUCK YOU!

evilmike

evilmike

Six episodes to go!

Last night watch s2e17, "Flash Back."

Barry: I have to go back in time to learn how to go faster.

My wife: You're an idiot.

Everyone: You might alter time and it could go really badly.

My wife: Yeah.

Barry: I gotta try.

My wife: FUCK YOU!
One of the most satisfying things in that episode was
how quickly Eobard figured out Barry's stupid plan.

Shakey

Shakey

These time travel plot lines are getting really old.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

These time travel plot lines are getting really old.
Welcome to The Flash as a character since forever.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Welcome to The Flash as a character since forever.
That's one of the things I like about the show. It's willing to do this kind of crazy stuff, and it's fun giving the actors chances to go back to old stuff, be different, etc.

On a meta level, anytime the writers write themselves into a corner, it's totally believable that some stupid time travel would get them out of it because Barry is an idiot.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It's just nice to have a superhero show that feels like a comic in the best ways. Supergirl had a pretty good first season and I'm hoping season 2 works out as well.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It's just nice to have a superhero show that feels like a comic in the best ways. Supergirl had a pretty good first season and I'm hoping season 2 works out as well.
I read a lengthy article yesterday, don't know where it is now, where Berlanti and others mentioned that they were struggling to figure out what Supergirl was as a show at first, and it took them until about halfway through the season to really find that. Their aim for season 2 is less speeches, more leading by example.

As for The Flash, we watched the last two episodes of season 2 and got on CWTV.com to watch the first season 3 episode. I stand by what I said above--Barry is an idiot.

Questions that probably have no answers because as much as I love the time travel stuff, it's highly inconsistent:

Eobard Thawne doesn't know anything about the timeline Barry traveled from, so either Barry filled him in or he's making a lot of assumptions.

Also, "Flashpoint" is something Eobard also created, because in their original future timeline, he didn't go back to kill Barry's mom. In fact, according to the AI future-Barry invented, the whole Justice League existed in the original timeline before Reverse Flash kills Nora Allen. Granted, he made sure the travel-back event still happened via the newspaper in season 1. Again, he wouldn't necessarily think of it this way.

That said, one of the big points in season 1 was that killing Nora Allen = no more Flash, therefore Eobard loses his speed powers and has to do the whole not-Wells shtick to get things situated again. So how does he have his powers enough to bring Barry back to the present, and then ... either he's going back to the future or has decided to stick in the present and fuck around? But either way, Nora Allen is dead, so he should've lost his powers.

I'm guessing we are to assume everything else happened the way we saw in season 1 since it showed all those flashes of events when Eobard fixes the timeline, BUT then that would still mean he was erased from existence when Eddie killed himself ... except that always violated the time rules established by the show.

In short, what the fuck? I guess we'll have to see what fresh hell Barry has made now in the coming episodes, but the Nora death/no more Reverse Flash powers eems odd unless I'm missing something crucial.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Dadcop.

That was a nice episode.

But Wally ...

Any guesses on how many episodes before he's off to find Dr. Alchemy?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Dadcop.

That was a nice episode.

But Wally ...

Any guesses on how many episodes before he's off to find Dr. Alchemy?
Next episode.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

There was no new episode last night?!

This election sucks.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

There was no new episode last night?!

This election sucks.
Yeah it's done for a week or two, I think. SHIELD is done till the end of the month.

November sucks.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

CW: Daaaaare to defy; Dare to defyyyy
Wife: What are we daring to defy?

Joe West, apparently. Nice going, Wally.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

ANOTHER fucking speedster as the big bad? Seriously? Fucking SERIOUSLY?

They know Flash has more than just speedsters for big bads in his rogue gallery, right?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

ANOTHER fucking speedster as the big bad? Seriously? Fucking SERIOUSLY?

They know Flash has more than just speedsters for big bads in his rogue gallery, right?
We're annoyed too, especially when it was said that wouldn't be the direction they were going this season, and ...

Julian is Alchemy. FFS now three season in a row it's guy they know is secretly villain, and three seasons in a row the big bad is a speedster. The Flash has so many great villains, come on.

I'm not comics expert on the Flash, but I thought Savitr wasn't faster; he had some other deal that let him work around the Flash's speed?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

We're annoyed too, especially when it was said that wouldn't be the direction they were going this season, and ...

Julian is Alchemy. FFS now three season in a row it's guy they know is secretly villain, and three seasons in a row the big bad is a speedster. The Flash has so many great villains, come on.

I'm not comics expert on the Flash, but I thought Savitr wasn't faster; he had some other deal that let him work around the Flash's speed?
I don't think he was faster, but he DID know more Speed Force tricks that Wally (who was Flash at the time) didn't know. Like healing yourself immediately or absorbing the speed from oncoming objects like a thrown knife or a bullet.

And sadly, I saw Alchemy coming miles away. As soon as they revealed his name as Albert Desmond, I knew it'd be him because that's Alchemy's real name in the comics. I thought they might do a curveball, but NOPE.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't think he was faster, but he DID know more Speed Force tricks that Wally (who was Flash at the time) didn't know. Like healing yourself immediately or absorbing the speed from oncoming objects like a thrown knife or a bullet.

And sadly, I saw Alchemy coming miles away. As soon as they revealed his name as Albert Desmond, I knew it'd be him because that's Alchemy's real name in the comics. I thought they might do a curveball, but NOPE.
I didn't know the name from the comics. I just thought, new character, villain out of nowhere, it's obviously him ... a little too obvious, so it can't be him. But then it was :/

Bubble181

Bubble181

Haven't started S3 yet, but...Well, that's disappointing.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Saving grace is that we're not even to the halfway point of the season and a lot has happened, so there's likely to be more interesting developments.

I really want Grodd to be the big bad for a season.

But I'm pumped for the big crossover next week. Supergirl, Flash, Legends, and Arrow vs alien invasion--this is gonna be fun :D.

@Li3n

@Li3n

But I'm pumped for the big crossover next week. Supergirl, Flash, Legends, and Arrow vs alien invasion--this is gonna be fun :D.
Am i the only one wondering why the Dominators are naked?

I mean at least with the Martians it made sense in that they're shape-shifters.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Am i the only one wondering why the Dominators are naked?

I mean at least with the Martians it made sense in that they're shape-shifters.
I haven't watched promos; I just assumed it was going to be Thanagarians since they've been mentioned on Supergirl, not just shows with Hawkgirl.

Maybe nudity is why they're invading.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Maybe nudity is why they're invading.
An alien invasion whose motivation is to force us to let go of our compulsion to hide our bodies with dead animal and plant matter?

Like some sort of nudity zealots on a crusade through space...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

An alien invasion whose motivation is to force us to let go of our compulsion to hide our bodies with dead animal and plant matter?

Like some sort of nudity zealots on a crusade through space...
Dare to defy.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I just finished season 2 on Netflix and have seen none of season 3 (I doubt I will watch it...read on!)

This show drives me crazy. It is trying to stay afloat purely on the charisma of the actors. And they no doubt have lots of it (until they get mopey). But the techno-wizardry is completely off the scale in this show. I can believe the speed force and metahumans, etc., but they lean so hard on whatever is convenient to move the (sometimes nonsensical) plots along, that I end up rolling my eyes through half of the episode. On top of all that, their rules for time travel are convoluted (and contradictory? Probably. It is hard to tell, but if it serves the plot!) He can pop back in time on a whim but cannot run faster than Mach [whatever the plot calls for]? Grrr... And the time wraiths were such a deus ex machina, which they invented out of thin air for the show, then used just keep the hero from doing something wrong
directly...he still got them to come drag off Zoom...great idea, Barry! Let's bring more of those things into the world!
Of course, they end season 2 with the promise of more time travel shenanigans, so I am probably out. The characters are pretty darn likable but they never let them off the leash to grow or be truly challenged, except for Barry sometimes. It starts to feel a little claustrophobic when every plot revolves around the team and team work and we're stronger as a family. I so want to like this show but I think on balance I don't. I might check in and see if season 3 is worth it, but my hopes will be low.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I just finished season 2 on Netflix and have seen none of season 3 (I doubt I will watch it...read on!)

This show drives me crazy. It is trying to stay afloat purely on the charisma of the actors. And they no doubt have lots of it (until they get mopey). But the techno-wizardry is completely off the scale in this show. I can believe the speed force and metahumans, etc., but they lean so hard on whatever is convenient to move the (sometimes nonsensical) plots along, that I end up rolling my eyes through half of the episode. On top of all that, their rules for time travel are convoluted (and contradictory? Probably. It is hard to tell, but if it serves the plot!) He can pop back in time on a whim but cannot run faster than Mach [whatever the plot calls for]? Grrr... And the time wraiths were such a deus ex machina, which they invented out of thin air for the show, then used just keep the hero from doing something wrong
directly...he still got them to come drag off Zoom...great idea, Barry! Let's bring more of those things into the world!
Of course, they end season 2 with the promise of more time travel shenanigans, so I am probably out. The characters are pretty darn likable but they never let them off the leash to grow or be truly challenged, except for Barry sometimes. It starts to feel a little claustrophobic when every plot revolves around the team and team work and we're stronger as a family. I so want to like this show but I think on balance I don't. I might check in and see if season 3 is worth it, but my hopes will be low.
Without giving too much away, season 3 seems to be promising an end to time travel shenanigans and now only dealing with the consequences of their last hurrah that season 3 begins with.

Do not watch Legends of Tomorrow though. They can't keep their time travel rules straight within a single episode.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Please no more speedster villains.

Flash has a great rogue gallery. Why do I have to keep seeing seasons full of "I NEED TO GET FASTER"?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

IT BEGINS

Celt Z

Celt Z

Well, it sorta began yesterday, but just barely.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The Supergirl crossover night should not count.

Bubble181

Bubble181

This'll probably be a spoiler for both shows for me (all three? Was Arrow involved too?) but how did the cross over work? different universe?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

This'll probably be a spoiler for both shows for me (all three? Was Arrow involved too?) but how did the cross over work? different universe?
They had the crossover from last season with Flash and Supergirl. It ended with a promise for her to come help. So Flash got in over his head and went and got the invincible girl from Earth 38.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Anyone who doesn't already watch Supergirl doesn't need to; the part of her episode that relates to the crossover is repeated in this Flash episode.

The Supergirl crossover night should not count.
That's probably why it's not even named Invasion. I think Supergirl was in production earlier than the other shows so they could only wiggle it in here and there without disrupting the Supergirl season. I expect her trip to Earth Prime will be barely referenced in later Supergirl season 2 episodes, much like Flash's trip to Earth-3 was barely referenced in the rest of The Flash season 2.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This Arrow episode is dragging.

phil

phil

Just finished the crossover event. I'm a sucker for this stuff so I thought it was Super Friends Fun.

I'll admit that these shows are kind of just a shadow of what season 1 of Arrow and Flash showed us they were capable of. It'll never be that good again but these few episodes I felt were good for what they were. The arrow episode, for example, was both really good and really bad in some ways. The whole idea of

Putting them in a fantasy world where they get to be the people they deep down wish they were with the life they deep down wish they had was done in season 1 of Supergirl and THAT's just a rip of the Justice League cartoon where exactly that happened. HOWEVER I still like those moments of the heroes having to rip themselves away from what could be a perfect life for themselves for the greater good. I will admit that they figured it all out hella fast.

But it was really cool to see things like

The Hall of Justice! And everyone working together! And Dr. Stien has a daughter that he has to learn to love real quick! Neat!

but yeah it was dumb how like..for what I'm sure was mostly budget reasons we didn't actually have all hands on deck for a friggin' alien invasion. Like we have to believe that for an alien invasion they'd only take Supergirl from that earth and not Superman as well or Martian Manhunter or even Guardian. Again, budget and probably even just script concerns but still. I feel like this gave some hope for a possible larger team up type show in the future. It would be cool for Legends to maybe get re-branded into a proper JSA or even JLA show.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I like how even the crossover knew how inconsequential the Arrow episode was and skipped to the end for the recap, only for it not to matter thanks to Cisco.

It seems like the people making Arrow these days just don't know what they're doing, because the moment the sane characters pop into other shows, they're enjoyable. It didn't surprise me to read that while the other shows saw a 30% boost in ratings for the crossover, Arrow had 82% ... because it was already so low to start that reaching the others is a significant increase.

But the fun stuff was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed the character interactions most of all.

And now Supergirl can come back any time, so yay!

My only goofy superhero disappointment was when Vixen

channeled an elephant--awesome--but then just went to roundhouse kicking an alien instead of charging through them. What a waste.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I was largely disappointed with the big crossover, honestly. I'd heard they repeated Supergirl's scene in Flash, so I skipped her episode. And honestly, Flash had the best episode of the bunch. The Legends episode had a lot of unnecessary filler, like going back in time to grab an alien when there were clearly plenty around Earth in their time. It's like they had this time-traveling group of heroes, so they had to come up with an excuse to do some time-traveling. Arrow could've easily been skipped except for the last 10 minutes or so. Since I only watched two-thirds of the first season of Arrow, all the callbacks and references were meaningless to me. I guess for Arrow fans, the episode was pretty cool? But at the end, when Ollie looked back and saw - I assume - the people he lost, I didn't know who most of those people were.

The other thing was, there was no introduction for many characters for someone like myself who only watched Flash. Characters like Mr. Terrific, Rag Man, Wilddog, Captain Steel, and Vixen all just sort of showed up with little introduction or fanfare. I didn't know who the first three were until they finally showed them in their costumes. And we only really saw action from Wilddog, so what was the point of the other two being there and suiting up? Then again, I guess for someone who doesn't watch Flash, you might be a bit confused by Wally participating. Compare this to, say, Captain America: Civil War. You didn't really need to see Ant-Man's movie because they introduced him relatively well (I think).

Most of the character interaction and moments were fun or cute. Although, even if the Supergirl/Heatwave exchange was funny, it seemed like an odd place to put it right before they walked into the warehouse. It just felt like an odd time to have the exchange, killing some of the tension or momentum before the action scene.

And then the big climactic finish was...a big brawl with everyone on one rooftop? Why? I get it was for the cool group shot (which WAS cool), but it made no sense. Why are you fighting an isolated group of Dominators on one rooftop when they're all over the planet? Not to mention that if Captain Steel took out one Dominator with a single punch, why couldn't Supergirl or Flash mop the floor with one whole group? That relates to Zero Esc's point about Vixen doing this big fancy shot. I got all excited to see what she'd do...and then she just ran into the battle and didn't do anything special. Why waste that much time with a cool (and expensive) special effect if you're not doing anything special with it?

Plus, why couldn't the Dominators wear their long green robes? That would've set them apart from looking like generic alien invader #59569.

So yeah, I don't know. As someone who only watches Flash, this was largely disappointing for me. If you're someone who watches all three (or four, if you count Supergirl), this might've been more enjoyable. If they hoped to use this to get people to watch the other shows more, they definitely missed the mark on this guy.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That relates to Zero Esc's point about Vixen doing this big fancy shot. I got all excited to see what she'd do...and then she just ran into the battle and didn't do anything special. Why waste that much time with a cool (and expensive) special effect if you're not doing anything special with it?
According to others who've been watching this season of Legends, this is apparently the usual for this version of Vixen. She'll get rhino spirit going, and then just go do kick flips and punches. SO lame when the special effect is more expensive than having her fighting style change to reflect the animal spirit she's channeling.

So yeah, I don't know. As someone who only watches Flash, this was largely disappointing for me. If you're someone who watches all three (or four, if you count Supergirl), this might've been more enjoyable. If they hoped to use this to get people to watch the other shows more, they definitely missed the mark on this guy.
Supergirl's was a good Supergirl episode, but yeah, had nothing to do with the crossover except to delay Alex coming out to her mom and distracting Hank Henshaw. Otherwise, the scene where Barry and Cisco appear in Kara's apartment is the exact same scene as at the end of the Supergirl episode.

It has made me consider giving Legends season 2 a chance. Watched season 1, wasn't too impressed, but season 2 apparently has Eobard Thawne as a recurring villain, so I feel like I'm making a mistake by not checking it out. Definitely not watching Arrow though.

Also, we saw Kara reviewing everyone's names to make sure she knew them (which--wow, really impressive memorization skills), but we didn't see her first learn them. How did Barry introduce Iris? "Hey Kara, this is Iris, my sister/girlfriend." :p Like, it's really getting hard to ignore this when Joe says to his new flame "my kids" and he's including Barry and not in an in-law or future in-law or my daughter's boyfriend kind of way, but as a child he raised ... because that's what happened.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

It has made me consider giving Legends season 2 a chance. Watched season 1, wasn't too impressed, but season 2 apparently has Eobard Thawne as a recurring villain, so I feel like I'm making a mistake by not checking it out. Definitely not watching Arrow though.
Yeah, season 2 is better. Also, it's not just Eobard Thawne as a major villain. It's a group that (at least in the promotional material) is known as the Legion of Doom.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I kinda get the feeling that they weren't sure if they were going to be able to use Supergirl, so her part was added rather than being essential to the plot. And it was kinda annoying, because there were a lot of moments that could have used her abilities.
But there was one thing that bugged me most, and admittedly, I've never watched Arrow or The Flash, but all of Supergirl and most of the first season of Legends of Tomorrow, but

What the hell was up with Ollie's bullshit, "I'm not feeling sure of myself, so you need to be side-lined, Kara"? What logic was that? You want the most powerful person on your team to step back because you're feeling impotent? I really, really wanted Kara to super-kick him in the nuts right there. And I know Barry wasn't reliable after "Flashpoint", which they mentioned 50 MILLION TIMES OKAY WE GET IT, but he was clearly smarter than Ollie to bring her in. Ollie needs to sit back and shut the hell up, angsty Batman-wannabe.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I kinda get the feeling that they weren't sure if they were going to be able to use Supergirl, so her part was added rather than being essential to the plot. And it was kinda annoying, because there were a lot of moments that could have used her abilities.
But there was one thing that bugged me most, and admittedly, I've never watched Arrow or The Flash, but all of Supergirl and most of the first season of Legends of Tomorrow, but

What the hell was up with Ollie's bullshit, "I'm not feeling sure of myself, so you need to be side-lined, Kara"? What logic was that? You want the most powerful person on your team to step back because you're feeling impotent? I really, really wanted Kara to super-kick him in the nuts right there. And I know Barry wasn't reliable after "Flashpoint", which they mentioned 50 MILLION TIMES OKAY WE GET IT, but he was clearly smarter than Ollie to bring her in. Ollie needs to sit back and shut the hell up, angsty Batman-wannabe.
I think that came down to your first point of them being unsure if they could use Supergirl, and they needed a reason for her not to immediately solve every problem.

I liked the crossover in parts, but not in others. I think they can and will do better. Right now my favorite crossover of any of these shows is still the Supergirl episode with the Flash, because putting Kara and Barry together is like putting two puppies in the same room.

I don't get why people hate Felicity Smoak. Having not watched much Arrow, she's mine and my wife's favorite Arrow character. I know people criticized one set of episodes of Arrow being the Felicity Smoak Show--I'll need to find out which season that is.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I think that came down to your first point of them being unsure if they could use Supergirl, and they needed a reason for her not to immediately solve every problem.

I liked the crossover in parts, but not in others. I think they can and will do better. Right now my favorite crossover of any of these shows is still the Supergirl episode with the Flash, because putting Kara and Barry together is like putting two puppies in the same room.

I don't get why people hate Felicity Smoak. Having not watched much Arrow, she's mine and my wife's favorite Arrow character. I know people criticized one set of episodes of Arrow being the Felicity Smoak Show--I'll need to find out which season that is.
Totally agree with you on both the Flash/Supergirl cross-over and not understanding why people hate Felicity. Didn't people also really dislike Thea, and now she's Speedy? I'm some-what confused with the CW characters.

Oh, but a throw-away joke I really liked:
I did like Ray/Brandon's line about "She looks like my cousin!" A nice nod to his turn as Superman. I don't know if they ever joke about that, but I liked the mention. I didn't understand Felicity's line before it, but I don't know enough about Arrow to get it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, that whole impotency angle was ridiculous. It felt like it came out of nowhere, too. Even as the scene played, I was thinking, "This is just a cheap excuse to not include her in the next action scene, isn't it?"

phil

phil

Ollie in this universe ends up taking a good number of Bat-mannerisms so the distrust of Super beings didn't seem that out of place to me.

Felicity does some dumb stuff last season that really put her on everyone's shit list.

First of all near the end of season 3
Her and ollie start dating which just feels a little out of place. like it felt like it was mostly to please the shippers and stuff.

Then in season 4
She stays with him through a lot. Hell, she gets shot and paralyzed from the waist down and stays with him through that. What breaks them up is that Ollie finds out he has a son from a fling ~8 years ago. The baby mama says that if ollie tells anyone ANYONE that she won't let him see his son ever again. So ollie doesn't immediately tell Felicity about it and she finds out and leaves him because he didn't risk never seeing his son again to please queen smoke. And the dumbest part is that during the break up she regains the ability to walk because science and WALKS AWAY DID YOU SEE THE SYMBOLISM WALK-AWAY get it?

And that's why Felicity can suck a bag of dicks. Or really that's why the writing for the show can suck 3 bags.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Ollie in this universe ends up taking a good number of Bat-mannerisms so the distrust of Super beings didn't seem that out of place to me.

Felicity does some dumb stuff last season that really put her on everyone's shit list.

First of all near the end of season 3
Her and ollie start dating which just feels a little out of place. like it felt like it was mostly to please the shippers and stuff.

Then in season 4
She stays with him through a lot. Hell, she gets shot and paralyzed from the waist down and stays with him through that. What breaks them up is that Ollie finds out he has a son from a fling ~8 years ago. The baby mama says that if ollie tells anyone ANYONE that she won't let him see his son ever again. So ollie doesn't immediately tell Felicity about it and she finds out and leaves him because he didn't risk never seeing his son again to please queen smoke. And the dumbest part is that during the break up she regains the ability to walk because science and WALKS AWAY DID YOU SEE THE SYMBOLISM WALK-AWAY get it?

And that's why Felicity can suck a bag of dicks. Or really that's why the writing for the show can suck 3 bags.
That sounds like a completely different character. Sheez ...

Bubble181

Bubble181

I really, really hope they'll show the episode(s) of the other shows along with the ones in their own series....But I'm guessing they won't. Flash and Supergirl air on two different networks, Arrow hasn't been on in forever, and there's still no legal way for me to see Legends. I'm glad they're including at least little bits from one in the other and al lthat but still.
I understand wanting to draw in viewers from one to the other, but blegh. I dunno, when there's NCIS/NCIS New Orleans or whatever crossovers I just torrent the one from the show I don't watch, grudgingly watch that on my pc, then go back to my tv. I may have to do the same here.

phil

phil

Most female characters end up getting some kind of dumb treatment that takes their core power away

Laurel
Starts out as a strong character in season one. She's the assistant D.A. so we have the ability to show the other side of this vigilantism and how that could work legally. She also shows martial ability by taking down attackers on her own RIGHT OFF THE BAT. So...let's make her an addict in season 2 and an irrational rookie in season 3! Perfect!

Or Felicity !
A tech expert who can provide the gadgets and hacker stuff! let's start out small and have her get into traffic cams and stuff. You know, generally useful things. What's that you say? Let's have her hack literally anything? She hacked a betamax cassette? Fuck it, why not? Oh her cute and bubbly personality endears her to fans? Better make sure she's the main love interest! Laurel who?

Sarah!
Someone who went through the same shit as ollie? sweet! let's make her black canary cause fuck Laurel she's an addict didn't you hear? Also she's Ollie's love interest because they went through the same shit. Alright, everyone love her and like her tortured past and story of redemption? COOL LOL SHE'S DEAD!

Oh shit everyone really liked her? Ok let's bring her back and take every moment to remind everyone she's gay by having her just make out with or at least holler at anything with tits. Queen of France? fuck yeah. First Female president of the US? Total hottie amirite! Two chicks can make out all day long but Mr. Terrific can't even be seen with a boyfriend too much because nerds don't jerk it to that.

Though on a side note I'd like to say it was nice to get through a crisis without a flash getting killed.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Though on a side note I'd like to say it was nice to get through a crisis without a flash getting killed.
To be fair, this was an INVASION, not a Crisis. Anything officially named a Crisis is when Flashes need to be watched closely.

That's another thing that bugged me about this crossover. For all the high stakes and build up, there weren't really any major ramifications. Supergirl can visit any time she wants. Cisco and Barry are total best buds again. And there might be a DEA here, like Kara's universe. That's...about it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Or Flash making it worse :p. Barry said no more time travel, but I'm just counting the episodes until he breaks that.

phil

phil

Or Flash making it worse :p. Barry said no more time travel, but I'm just counting the episodes until he breaks that.
'cause he's gotta go back like...oooooone more time to REALLY set things right...right?

Though seriously the whole show is a time aberration if we want to put this into Legend's of Tomorrow terms. Reverse Flash went back in time and set the particle accelerator off a few years early in season 1. I wouldn't be surprised if the show ends with them undoing that.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

'cause he's gotta go back like...oooooone more time to REALLY set things right...right?

Though seriously the whole show is a time aberration if we want to put this into Legend's of Tomorrow terms. Reverse Flash went back in time and set the particle accelerator off a few years early in season 1. I wouldn't be surprised if the show ends with them undoing that.
You mean reverting everything to the original timeline that had Flash, Batman, Superman, etc the general Justice League? I think that'd be a crappy finale, to just undo everything.

phil

phil

You mean reverting everything to the original timeline that had Flash, Batman, Superman, etc the general Justice League? I think that'd be a crappy finale, to just undo everything.

#DareToDefy

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

#DareToDefy
No one can stop the show from resetting.

There's one who can. The Flash Flash Flash Flash Flash ...[DOUBLEPOST=1480787554,1480787191][/DOUBLEPOST]In case it's a secret, I hate those fucking commercials.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Then in season 4

To be fair, they wanted it to be a sort of culmination of all the time Ollie lied to "protect" them, they just failed at conveying it well.

phil

phil

To be fair, they wanted it to be a sort of culmination of all the time Ollie lied to "protect" them, they just failed at conveying it well.
Oh for sure. Like I understand the idea of one more big lie being the straw that breaks that cammel's back. HOWEVER I feel like this was one of the few lies that was 100% justified. The person behind the lie even explained it to them and took the responsibility but it was still not good enough.

@Li3n

@Li3n

The writers certainly didn't do Felicity any favours, true.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'd have kicked Legends of Tomorrow to the side by now because of its lack of consistency, but we're getting caught up and it's not just that Reverse Flash is present, but he's apparently season 2's big bad, so I want to see where that goes.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That was a solid mid-season finale for The Flash. Lots of great moments.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Flash / Supergirl Musical Casts Glee’s Darren Criss as Music Meister

“With our Flash and our Supergirl being ‘Glee’ alums, how could we not have them go up against another ‘Glee’ favorite like Darren Criss?” said executive producer Andrew Kreisberg. “We have been blown away by his talent over the years and we can’t wait to see what he brings to the Music Meister.”

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Never watched Glee, but Supergirl + Flash has been a winning combo, so I'm excited for the episode.

phil

phil

You had me at musical episode.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This was an episode of good and bleh, the bleh mostly being Barry being an idiot for the sake of CW drama. But geez, once he spills the beans, it's easy to see why he didn't want to.

Iris asking "how long do I have?" tugged at my heart, like she was a terminal patient.

I like the set-up for the rest of the season. The see-through board (whatever you call that) is a neat storytelling device.

@Li3n

@Li3n

This was an episode of good and bleh, the bleh mostly being Barry being an idiot for the sake of CW drama.
What was really annoying was him asking about changing the future... WHEN THEY ALREADY CHANGED THE TIMELINES A MILLION TIMES, AND THE WHOLE SHOW IS AN ALTERNATE TIMELINE CREATED BY PROF. ZOOM!!!!!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

What was really annoying was him asking about changing the future... WHEN THEY ALREADY CHANGED THE TIMELINES A MILLION TIMES, AND THE WHOLE SHOW IS AN ALTERNATE TIMELINE CREATED BY PROF. ZOOM!!!!!
You mean Iobard Thawn?

That was something that bugged me about Flashpoint in this; supposedly Barry stopping Iobard from killing his mom would've been correcting the timeline, but I guess it goes back to what Jay tells him. Even his correction was still going to have fractures. And then putting that back was even more messed up.

Nonethless, yeah, that was dumb. Wife and I kept saying that in the episode, "You have literally gone back in time and changed the future." Season friggin 1 with Weather Wizard. I guess to Barry he just changed the present.

@Li3n

@Li3n

You mean Iobard Thawn?
Nah, i'm talking about his identical twin doppelgänger, Eobard.

Even his correction was still going to have fractures.
Well, at least that makes sense, as Barry was altering the past too by fighting Prof. Zoom in his house there. To actually bring back things to the unseen original timeline he should stop him before he got there.

Of course, considering Legends, the timeline is being fractured bi-weekly.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Nah, i'm talking about his identical twin doppelgänger, Eobard.

Well, at least that makes sense, as Barry was altering the past too by fighting Prof. Zoom in his house there. To actually bring back things to the unseen original timeline he should stop him before he got there.

Of course, considering Legends, the timeline is being fractured bi-weekly.
You keep saying Zoom, but he didn't go back to Barry's past. He was at Barry's house in the present to kill his dad. Eobard went back to kill his mom.

But yeah, taking Legends into account, everything should be entirely fucked by now.

figmentPez

figmentPez

But yeah, taking Legends into account, everything should be entirely fucked by now.
That's assuming that time works the way the villains are saying it does. Even the Time Masters may not have been right in their assumptions about things.

I can't remember who wrote it, but there's a great SciFi short story about a time travel protection agency who works to prevent alterations to the timeline, only to eventually come into contact with a multiverse protection agency who informs them that they've been causing problems with the multiverse with their efforts to preserve the timeline.

@Li3n

@Li3n

You keep saying Zoom, but he didn't go back to Barry's past.
Oh, sorry... i was using the original comic book names, where Professor Zoom, the Reverse-Flash is Eobard Thawne, a crazy guy from the future that's obsessed with Barry Allen. While Zoom is Hunter Zolomon, who is actually Wally West's "Reverse-Flash" (and who's powers where actually making time go slower).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Oh, sorry... i was using the original comic book names, where Professor Zoom, the Reverse-Flash is Eobard Thawne, a crazy guy from the future that's obsessed with Barry Allen. While Zoom is Hunter Zolomon, who is actually Wally West's "Reverse-Flash" (and who's powers where actually making time go slower).
Comic books! :awesome: Isn't Savitar supposed to not actually be fast, but do some weird stuff to appear fast?

@Li3n

@Li3n

Isn't Savitar supposed to not actually be fast, but do some weird stuff to appear fast?
I think he stole speed and was able to give it to people or something.

And he was also a Wally villain, i think.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The musical crossover with Supergirl is happening a week from this coming episode, so things need to get a lot better mood-wise because nooooooooo.

I'm really interested in this loopy time travel/speeed force thing going on. I don't think I fully appreciated what Savitar was saying in the Christmas episode, but all of what's going on in the show is the past. Future Barry stops past Savitar in the future, by now present Barry has to deal with Future Savitar. Also whatever the hell Savitar means in the future if he kills Iris "now I'm finally free of you."

People have their theories as to who Savitar is under there. Most popular prediction:

that it's Future Wally

But I think it could be

Bart Allen, though maybe he's Barry's son instead of grandson.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Hey, you know what would be real twist? If it was just some guy they haven't met yet...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hey, you know what would be real twist? If it was just some guy they haven't met yet...
They haven't met who I mentioned, in the show at least.

But I know what you mean. I could see that for a villain of the week, someone taunting "you and I have done this forever, Flash" and then it's just some rando. I can't see them doing that for a season's big bad.

Shakey

Shakey

People have their theories as to who Savitar is under there. Most popular prediction:

that it's Future Wally
I'd like to say this is too obvious, but that seems to be the way this show goes. It's my guess at this point.

@Li3n

@Li3n

They haven't met who I mentioned, in the show at least.
Bad choice of words on my part... should have included "or someone not related to then etc"

But I know what you mean. I could see that for a villain of the week, someone taunting "you and I have done this forever, Flash" and then it's just some rando. I can't see them doing that for a season's big bad.
It's already the 3rd speedster, making it also the 3rd (well, 4th, if you include Malfoy) "guy we already know, that we thought was a friend" is just so predictable.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Bad choice of words on my part... should have included "or someone not related to then etc"

It's already the 3rd speedster, making it also the 3rd (well, 4th, if you include Malfoy) "guy we already know, that we thought was a friend" is just so predictable.
Yep. They've played that hand way too many times at this point.

Which is sad if they ever adapt Mark Waid's Return of Barry Allen story. Because the impact won't be as powerful.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Watched the musical episode last night...

John Barrowman has the best damn voice that I've heard in a while. Oh, and Wynn could really sing as well.

I guess they just found the only characters from the Arrowverse that could sing and cobble them into this show.

I guess only Kara can sing from all the women in the shows.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don't know. The episode kind of fell flat to me. I think Joss Whedon set the bar too high for nerdy musicals.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Watched the musical episode last night...

John Barrowman has the best damn voice that I've heard in a while. Oh, and Wynn could really sing as well.

I guess they just found the only characters from the Arrowverse that could sing and cobble them into this show.

I guess only Kara can sing from all the women in the shows.
A whole lot of those folks have stage/musical backgrounds, Kara, Barry, Musical Meister and some others are Glee Alumni. CW has done a pretty good job at hiring folks that their demographic would actually watch superhero shows, whereas they normally wouldn't.

And for maximum geekage

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This and Supergirl need to knock it off with the Hamilton shit. There's no reason to be dating the shows like this and people aren't going to suddenly like the shows more because the supporting cast got Hamilton tickets.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Another repeats week; new episodes of this and Supergirl start next week.

Shakey

Shakey

Meh. Not all that impressed.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

HOORAY-post redemption Snart! Seriously, just fucking bring him back to life all ready. Pull a doppeldoll for all I care! ALSO-
-who esle saw Iris getting stabbed coming?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

HOORAY-post redemption Snart! Seriously, just fucking bring him back to life all ready. Pull a doppeldoll for all I care! ALSO-
-who esle saw Iris getting stabbed coming?
Well, they kinda showed it to us several times already this season :p

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This was an excellent finale

until they tacked on a Crisis end and it hit every branch falling down the bullshit tree.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This was an excellent finale

until they tacked on a Crisis end and it hit every branch falling down the bullshit tree.
YUP. My thought exactly. Especially how goddamn drawn out it was with the final goodbye, like it means anything since he'll be back next season. Though I get the feeling we'll now see Wally in the red suit for maybe a couple of episodes. Maybe they'll do the Return of Barry Allen story like Mark Waid's run. But again, they've done the whole "bad guy is someone you know!" thing so much, there would be zero impact now.

Also, even though I went in knowing how HR died, I didn't know it was for a complete bullshit out in saving Iris' life. I actually grumbled, "Oh fuck off" when he turned off his thingamajig.

evilmike

evilmike

I'm conflicted. It was a really solid ending to the season. I even liked that the surprise reveal was a result of something that had been set up earlier in the season and wasn't a result of time travel shenanigans. It wasn't perfect. I agree that the bit at the end was tacked on and pointless. Also, nothing about Caitlin's story arc had any weight to it.

However, the reason I'm conflicted is that I didn't really enjoy the season as a whole. The season arc wasn't particularly compelling. The main villain is a speedster whose identity might be someone we know and it's all wrapped up in a time travel plot that doesn't make any sense? We've already seen that story. Twice.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Really thought things were going in a new direction mid-episode, but even squandering that, I thought it was a solid finale up until the last couple minutes.

Hell, when

Jay Garrick zipped out of the Speedforce

my wife and I friggin cheered, we were so happy to see him back.

And then they took all that and flushed it away. You watch, next season

Barry comes back and it's been years; Iris is with someone else but conflicted because Barry's back, Wally has moved to Earth 3 or Keystone, etc. It's so new it might as well be Flashpoint.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

SO-
-an episode in the speed force, or two episodes? Also its gonna be some damn perfect reality without pain for him isn't it-GRAH-dammit Berlantiverse.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Honestly, I don't know if I'll bother with the next season.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I was told the next big villain won't be a speedster, can't wait to see how long it takes for them to go back on that!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Honestly, I don't know if I'll bother with the next season.
I'll probably watch, but I wouldn't blame anyone for jumping ship after that tacked-on shit of an ending.

Supergirl's finale

made sense, the elements coalesced to generate that downer ending. If that had been the case for Flash, it would've been fine, but they'd already accomplished their goals, the story of the season was over, and then they just threw that shit on there. Especially grating is that because Supergirl's finale had the lovers separated, I figured it'd be stupid for Flash to do the same.

But gotta have that DRAAAAMAAAAA

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah and at least-
-we all KNEW Mon-El and Kara were gonna seperate, that's just how the flow of the story felt natural! Also they were basically Makorra.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Say what you will about the Flash finale but my 9 year old son absolutely loved it. I don't disagree with opinions on the ending, but having a kid next to you cheering and gaping in shock at some of the moments makes it easy to give the show a pass. It suffers, as all the CW shows do, from CWitis.... which is the need to keep the status quo (re: relationships) the status quo. Can't have the characters relationship growing and developing as that would ruin the shipping tension. Removing those types of decisions would make the shows much better overall but there's zero chance of them breaking what is obviously been a successful formula.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Say what you will about the Flash finale but my 9 year old son absolutely loved it. I don't disagree with opinions on the ending, but having a kid next to you cheering and gaping in shock at some of the moments makes it easy to give the show a pass. It suffers, as all the CW shows do, from CWitis.... which is the need to keep the status quo (re: relationships) the status quo. Can't have the characters relationship growing and developing as that would ruin the shipping tension. Removing those types of decisions would make the shows much better overall but there's zero chance of them breaking what is obviously been a successful formula.
Looking around online, the rest of the finale wasn't even that well-received, so I get what you mean about your son's enjoyment making it easier to overlook issues if you had them. I had no problem with the rest of the episode. It sucks that someone died, but it wasn't like some Joss Whedon throwaway pointless; it was a hero's death.

But those last couple fucking minutes. If the ending had been the crux of resolving the main conflict, as it was in Supergirl, I'd have given it a pass even though it's not as satisfying. But the main conflict was already resolved, so this was just CW bullshit, blatant as ever. They didn't even have some self-awareness like the end of Luke Cage. It wouldn't have killed them to throw in Cisco saying "We're gonna find a way, Barr!" or something like that. Nope. Just do this shit so they can make up a new situation for season 4, like they did with the time gap between 1 and 2, or Flashpoint between 2 and 3. It's not just the relationships that aren't allowed to grow; it's the shows themselves sometimes.

figmentPez

figmentPez

PatrThom

PatrThom

Heh. Has the ring not been in the series yet?

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Heh. Has the ring not been in the series yet?

--Patrick
It has, just not used by the Flash.