[TV] The Flash

The cast continues to fill out for CW's new project based on the Flash. Entertainment Weekly is reporting that Tom Cavanagh has been added as “a rock star in the world of physics, the mind and money behind Central City’s S.T.A.R. Labs Particle Accelerator. He becomes a pariah after the lab’s explosion, but he charts his path to redemption when he discovers that his failed experiment had the unintended consequence of creating the world’s fastest man (Grant Gustin).”

io9 is reporting that John Wesley Shipp has also been added in a recurring role. No word on what the role is, as of yet.

Professor Zoom?

I'm looking forward to this, obviously. I'm also happy that Arrow producers have said that if the pilot gets passed on it won't be the end of Grant Gustin as the Flash. The only thing's I'm not super thrilled about is Barry being taken in and raised by the Wests, and Geoff Johns writing the pilot (that man should never be allowed anywhere near Barry Allen).

The cast continues to fill out for CW's new project based on the Flash. Entertainment Weekly is reporting that Tom Cavanagh has been added as “a rock star in the world of physics, the mind and money behind Central City’s S.T.A.R. Labs Particle Accelerator. He becomes a pariah after the lab’s explosion, but he charts his path to redemption when he discovers that his failed experiment had the unintended consequence of creating the world’s fastest man (Grant Gustin).”

io9 is reporting that John Wesley Shipp has also been added in a recurring role. No word on what the role is, as of yet.

Professor Zoom?
Eddie Thawne (the show's version of Eobard Thawne) has already been cast and he'll be played by Rick Cosnett. It also looks like they'll be having Killer Frost as another villain confirmed for the show.

Personally, I kind of hope John Wesley Shipp ends up being Jay Garrick as a little nod to the Flash legacy.

EDIT: Also, Cisco Ramon, better known as the superhero Vibe, will be featured in the show.

Killer Frost? Why would you use Killer Frost when you have the greatest cold-based villain as part of your rogues gallery?

Killer Frost? Why would you use Killer Frost when you have the greatest cold-based villain as part of your rogues gallery?
I guess to tie her powers into the lab explosion. I'm a little surprised, though, that they went with that instead of just sticking with Captain Cold there. In fact, I'm a little surprised there's no word yet about any of the Rogues.

EDIT: Did a little more research and apparently one Rogue has been confirmed for the show: Hartley Rathaway, the Pied Piper.

I guess to tie her powers into the lab explosion. I'm a little surprised, though, that they went with that instead of just sticking with Captain Cold there. In fact, I'm a little surprised there's no word yet about any of the Rogues.

EDIT: Did a little more research and apparently one Rogue has been confirmed for the show: Hartley Rathaway, the Pied Piper.
Speaking of the rogue's gallery, is it too much to hope for to have Mark Hamill cast as the Trickster?

That's no surprise.

I'm truthfully not to worried about a lack of casting news for Rogues. They're recurring parts, and focus is most likely on getting the pilot together. Flash has the second or third best Rogues Gallery in all of comics, so it would take complete idiots to not want to use any of them. What we should be sad about is that we're likely to never see Gorilla Grodd :(.

Captain Cold as he's been written over the last, what, year or so I think? Is pretty great, I'd love to see him get used.

Flash has always been my favorite DC hero, I hope the show turns out good.

WB released the first photo today of the main actor playing The Flash.

I'm honestly surprised he's in a suit at all. WB seems terrified to do anything with costumes. I expected another show where they tried to avoid superhero stuff like costumes or code names and just call it Runner or Keystone or Speed Force or something.

Also, I don't know why the chin...thing (whatever you call it) bugs me so much. They have it on Flash in the New 52 as well and it just looks stupid to me.

WB released the first photo today of the main actor playing The Flash.

I'm honestly surprised he's in a suit at all. WB seems terrified to do anything with costumes. I expected another show where they tried to avoid superhero stuff like costumes or code names and just call it Runner or Keystone or Speed Force or something.

Also, I don't know why the chin...thing (whatever you call it) bugs me so much. They have it on Flash in the New 52 as well and it just looks stupid to me.
Well, it seems like WB is a bit more open to more "comic-booky" stuff like costumes for the Flash considering the more sci-fi/standard comic book elements of the character. Also, they would be warming up to more traditional comic book elements considering how Arrow has worked its way to a more superheroic form.

Looks like I'm always late.

Looks good. I kind of wish the boots were gold, but it's so much better than we could have gotten I'm just going to be happy with it. I like that it's very much the Flash, but also shares a similar thematic look with Arrow's suit.

Looks like I'm always late.

Looks good. I kind of wish the boots were gold, but it's so much better than we could have gotten I'm just going to be happy with it. I like that it's very much the Flash, but also shares a similar thematic look with Arrow's suit.
Probably because it was the same costume designer. :p

Yes, well...:stfu:

I'm just glad that they're going to keep the shows visually similar. It should make crossovers more seamless and really help build a greater tv universe.

I don't know, I just can't seem to get myself excited about anything involving the DCU lately. Comics or otherwise. I feel like you can only be punched in the face so many times before you stop stepping up to the table.

I don't know, I just can't seem to get myself excited about anything involving the DCU lately. Comics or otherwise. I feel like you can only be punched in the face so many times before you stop stepping up to the table.
Do you want to make Batman sadder? 'Cause that's how you make Batman sadder.

Last edited:
I do find it interesting that DC is having more success with their television series than they are their movies. Arrow (and Smallville to a lesser extent) gets quite a bit of praise, even among the comic book community. Personally, I never got into it, but I can see what people like about it. And I don't know, that trailer was kinda fun, if hokey. Certainly hokier than anything you'd ever expect from the grim dark films.

I do find it interesting that DC is having more success with their television series than they are their movies. Arrow (and Smallville to a lesser extent) gets quite a bit of praise, even among the comic book community. Personally, I never got into it, but I can see what people like about it. And I don't know, that trailer was kinda fun, if hokey. Certainly hokier than anything you'd ever expect from the grim dark films.
Don't think Dan Didio has any say over the TV series.... that's probably why.

figmentPez

Staff member
This looks so promising, but there are three things that I hope the writers remember about the Flash:
  1. The Flash has the most potential power in the DC universe.
  2. The Flash is one of the most human heroes in the DC universe.
  3. Creative use of hypervelocity
Aside from being Barry (and Wally and Jay Garrick) being a genuinely nice guy, those are the most important things about the Flash to me. Barry has this nearly unlimited potential, but he's still constantly late, and essentially caring and good, and worries that his power will make him lose touch with the world he cares about. He's smart and creative in how to use his power, and he uses it to do the right thing, even little things.

Huh. That looks like a lot of fun. I'll definitely check it out. At some point, I need to catch up on Arrow as I'm still around the 9th episode. It just didn't grab me. This...looks like it has a better chance of grabbing me. Of course, Flash is in my top 5 comic book heroes, so I might be a little biased.

That said, I do have a minor qualm: Weather Wizard is a metahuman rather than a guy with a weather wand. That's what I always liked about Flash's rogues: they were all just chumps with science gadgets who robbed banks. It's not enough to turn me away, but it is something that bugs me a little.

Huh. That looks like a lot of fun. I'll definitely check it out. At some point, I need to catch up on Arrow as I'm still around the 9th episode. It just didn't grab me. This...looks like it has a better chance of grabbing me. Of course, Flash is in my top 5 comic book heroes, so I might be a little biased.

That said, I do have a minor qualm: Weather Wizard is a metahuman rather than a guy with a weather wand. That's what I always liked about Flash's rogues: they were all just chumps with science gadgets who robbed banks. It's not enough to turn me away, but it is something that bugs me a little.
A lot of them have gone metahuman, though, for example Captain Cold. I don't know if that's still true or not, but for awhile there he'd dropped the blasters and went all Iceman.

Also, agreed on Arrow. Though from what I've heard, the first season's pretty a pretty slow burn, and all the goodies are in season 2.