The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

Dave

Staff member
Today is my 26th wedding anniversary. Took the day off from work and my wife and I went to a local water park. We spent the day swimming and sitting in the sun, then had some ice cream and came home to make dinner together. Now she's passed out on the chair while Stranger Things season 2 autoplays in the background.

Today was a good day.

(I'd upload a pic, but the board doesn't help). On the top of a mountain in Norway, in front of two big fjords joining together :)

Last edited:
I had not been to a scifi convention in almost two decades. Went to Galaxycon this weekend and had a blast! Met Timothy Zahn, J Michael Straczynski, Ed McGuinness, Fabian Nicieza, Neal Adams, and a few other comic artists that I can't remember. Got a few books signed!

Saw/talked a ton of celebs: Wil Wheaton, John Cusack, George flippin Takei!, Rob Schneider, Jay Mewes, Creed, Meredith, and Stanley from the Office, and a bunch of others. Didn't get to meet, but saw David Tennant which was surreal. Somehow missed Jonathan Frakes (my only disappointment).

The kiddos loved most of the cosplay, and took pics with a ton of folks.

Spent too much dough.

Had a great time.

Exhausted now.

My vacation begins. Starting now, I have off until Wednesday. Crap, forgot to set my "Out of Office".

Eh, I'm on vacation, fuck 'em.

My vacation begins. Starting now, I have off until Wednesday. Crap, forgot to set my "Out of Office".

Eh, I'm on vacation, fuck 'em.
I just set my out of office for an entire year! Woooo! I'm on sabbatical! Finishing up a 4 week stay in Belize. DisneyWorld is our true vacation, starting next week. I dive into my personal projects after that in Barbados, where we are staying for 3 months. In January we head to Australia and, after that, will spend 3 months in New Zealand.

I just set my out of office for an entire year! Woooo! I'm on sabbatical! Finishing up a 4 week stay in Belize. DisneyWorld is our true vacation, starting next week. I dive into my personal projects after that in Barbados, where we are staying for 3 months. In January we head to Australia and, after that, will spend 3 months in New Zealand.
Sounds truly epic, man! Congrats!

Holy fuckballs. I'm happy when I can get a week off to drive to Colorado from Omaha.
I'm paid below the median price for an academic, but I'm happy to have at least this one perk! (And well below the median while on sabbatical. I get 60% of my pay for the next year.)

Sabbaticals are awesome. I've never taken one, but I get one - at full salary - for four months every five years of continuous service in one spot.

They are generally completely not understood by the congregations, and looked at as vacation time, but they are intended as time for continuing ed, or some bigger work-related project. Some folks have done pilgrimages, further graduate studies, traveled.

I'm into my third year at this charge now... I should start planning actually.

The lab where I work is set at 20 degrees Celsius. If it drops below 19 or rises above 21, I have to stop work.
I presume this is an Epic Win because you like 20 degrees, and not because the thermostat in your lab is broken so you only need to work about 30 mins a day to draw a full salary?

I presume this is an Epic Win because you like 20 degrees, and not because the thermostat in your lab is broken so you only need to work about 30 mins a day to draw a full salary?
I find it a little warm, but I manage. We haven't had a temp fault in a while, but they are nice too. Catch up on paperwork.

So within the last year and a half I have been preparing (at age 37), to quit work completely, go back to college full time, and live off of savings and retirement until I finish school and am able to get a job in a new field (Nursing). I'm wanting to start off slow and just do the LVN (or LPN depending on what state you're in) course because it only last one year and that's almost exactly how much savings I have. Well, Last year I did the prerequisite courses for the program, this year I took the TEAS test (which I think I did amazing on screen shot below), and at the beginning of July I submitted my application along with references and essay to the college for administration. Now, while I'm not accepted yet, sometime on Wednesday or Thursday I will be interviewed for a spot in the LVN program and I am SO EXCITED! I've been at my current job for 10 years, and while the pay is good, as I said in the epic rant thread I had to threaten to quit just to get my vacation time that I put in 6 months in advance, and I need this change for my mental well being. Like I said I'm far from being accepted but this is the LAST STEP! After this all I have to do is wait on the letter saying yes or no to if I get in or not. I'm so nervous, I'm so excited. I'm 90% sure I'm going to nail this motherfucker right on the head and in January will be starting a new chapter in my life. Pray, send good vibes, sacrifice a goat, or a virgin (if that's your thing), but above all wish me luck. I'm waiting on an email back to make sure my spot for the interview is locked in, then it's just talking and waiting. For the TEAS anything above 75 is "Advanced" and between 60--75 is meeting standards, then anything below 60 is they need help. I could have done better in the science portion, but I didn't study as well as I should have because of work. This TEAS test was a pain in the but for me to do as well. The first date I was suppose to go the whole system was down on ATI's side so they had to reschedule it and I had to miss work for the reschedule (which they didn't "approve" of me missing work, but hey, it's my future, I need to do what I need to do). National PR on the picture is how many people (in percentage) that I scored equal to or better than in the LVN/LPN program TEAS. Wish me luck again. I didn't mean to type this long but I'm excited!
teas.JPG

So within the last year and a half I have been preparing (at age 37), to quit work completely, go back to college full time, and live off of savings and retirement until I finish school and am able to get a job in a new field (Nursing). I'm wanting to start off slow and just do the LVN (or LPN depending on what state you're in) course because it only last one year and that's almost exactly how much savings I have. Well, Last year I did the prerequisite courses for the program, this year I took the TEAS test (which I think I did amazing on screen shot below), and at the beginning of July I submitted my application along with references and essay to the college for administration. Now, while I'm not accepted yet, sometime on Wednesday or Thursday I will be interviewed for a spot in the LVN program and I am SO EXCITED! I've been at my current job for 10 years, and while the pay is good, as I said in the epic rant thread I had to threaten to quit just to get my vacation time that I put in 6 months in advance, and I need this change for my mental well being. Like I said I'm far from being accepted but this is the LAST STEP! After this all I have to do is wait on the letter saying yes or no to if I get in or not. I'm so nervous, I'm so excited. I'm 90% sure I'm going to nail this motherfucker right on the head and in January will be starting a new chapter in my life. Pray, send good vibes, sacrifice a goat, or a virgin (if that's your thing), but above all wish me luck. I'm waiting on an email back to make sure my spot for the interview is locked in, then it's just talking and waiting. For the TEAS anything above 75 is "Advanced" and between 60--75 is meeting standards, then anything below 60 is they need help. I could have done better in the science portion, but I didn't study as well as I should have because of work. This TEAS test was a pain in the but for me to do as well. The first date I was suppose to go the whole system was down on ATI's side so they had to reschedule it and I had to miss work for the reschedule (which they didn't "approve" of me missing work, but hey, it's my future, I need to do what I need to do). National PR on the picture is how many people (in percentage) that I scored equal to or better than in the LVN/LPN program TEAS. Wish me luck again. I didn't mean to type this long but I'm excited!View attachment 32129

YES YES YES YES YES! Had my nursing interview day for the college. I. FUCKING. KILLED. IT! I'll know by the end of next week if I get in the program or not, after this interview if I don't get accepted then my only thought is that someone hacked the system and took my name off of the acceptance list, that's how good I feel I did in the interview. Now all there is is to stalk my college e-mail and wait to see if the next one starts with a C (Congratulations) or a W (We're sorry to inform you). Guys. It's happening. I'm quitting my job. I'm going back to college. I'm going to live the dream. It's happening!

6 day vacation starts tomorrow. Since it falls over a holiday and weekend I only actually used 3 vacation days total.

Going camping with a bunch of people, deleting slack and my email off my phone for the time being. Super excited to just relax and read in the woods with my family, blood and otherwise.

6 day vacation starts tomorrow. Since it falls over a holiday and weekend I only actually used 3 vacation days total.

Going camping with a bunch of people, deleting slack and my email off my phone for the time being. Super excited to just relax and read in the woods with my family, blood and otherwise.
I think about Vancouver and the amazing wilderness surrounding it all the time man. Feeling jealous. Have fun!

I think about Vancouver and the amazing wilderness surrounding it all the time man. Feeling jealous. Have fun!
I love this province for it's wilderness. It's expensive as all hell to live here but I will never move back to Ontario. Been out this way 11 years now and knew from about a month in that this was home.

Going to Pender Island this time. I'd love to get back to the interior and the Rockies again one day. We did a trip there a few years back now and it spoiled me. It's a decently long drive though and since I don't, that's a lot to put on Sarah to have to do.

Last edited:
I love this province for it's wilderness. It's expensive as all hell to live here but I will never move back to Ontario. Been out this way 11 years now and knew from about a month in that this was home.

Going to Pender Island this time. I'd love to get back to the interior and the Rockies again one day. We did a trip there a few years back now and it spoiled me. It's a decently long drive though and since I don't, that's a lot to put on Sarah to have to do.
I looked (casually) at positions at UBC, and any major biotechs for about 6 months after my trip there. I am smitten with BC.

The US Rockies are fantasti too. I have only seen pics of the Canadian Rockies - they look just as magnificent. Colorado has always been on our short list of places to live too, and the Pacific NW. Le sigh.