The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

My kids are doing so well in karate! Last Saturday they had the latest round of belt exams. The exams are divided into 3 parts: basics, kata, and sparring. Lily got outstandings in all 3 and Noah got outstanding for sparring. I'm so proud of both of them! She's now a blue belt with 2 patches (a step below brown belt in this dojo) and he is a blue belt with his first patch.

So, since I've been doing fuck and all lately, I took some time off and decided to go spend the next couple weeks in Calgary with my girlfriend. Fuck this town, fuck this job, fuck this loneliness and fuck off boarder.

So, since I've been doing fuck and all lately, I took some time off and decided to go spend the next couple weeks in Calgary with my girlfriend. Fuck this town, fuck this job, fuck this loneliness and fuck off boarder.
Going from Edmonton to Calgary is ALWAYS a move up.

:p
(I'm from Calgary originally)

Another short story sold!

At what point do I stop putting these in epic win? Well, not yet.

I've submitted to a lot of non-payment publications this year, no acceptances, while every acceptance has been a paying market. Not sure why, but I'm wondering if I should stop submitting to the ones where I'm offering work for nothing.

GasBandit

Staff member
Another short story sold!

At what point do I stop putting these in epic win? Well, not yet.

I've submitted to a lot of non-payment publications this year, no acceptances, while every acceptance has been a paying market. Not sure why, but I'm wondering if I should stop submitting to the ones where I'm offering work for nothing.
There's something to be said for that. If your neighbor offers you a burger he's grilling at his barbecue if you come over (for free), the average person may or may not decide to go eat it.

But when McDonald's announces a day of "free burgers (limit 1)," everybody stampedes to go get the most-likely inferior burger.

Because perceived value is a thing.

Today is the kind of day that is the reason why I moved to Arizona. Rained last night, woke up to cool temps (my car's thermometer said 59F!), gradually warmed into the mid-70's. Still really nice out at 6 PM local.

Oh, and because MPS is off this week on Fall break, I've got a nice nine-day vacation to celebrate my birthday and my 25th Anniversary.

I have another sit-down interview tomorrow. Nervous about it. It could be a really cool opportunity at a cancer genomics start-up. I am not a cancer genetics expert so I will be spending all my free time between now and then reading review articles. I hope to post in the Epic win thread for this one.
I don't have an official offer yet, but I just got a handshake offer for the position. Plus, 15,000 more per year than I asked for. Holy shit.
So, plus side the pay is crazy, and the work is cool and cutting edge, and will actually help folks with a specific type of cancer.
The downside is that most startups fail. Plus there will be a bunch of traveling during the first couple of years. I am not fond of plane travel and I don't like being away from my family.

If you weren’t expecting the extra $15k/yr, then it should be real easy to put at least $10k/yr into the rainy day fund, right?

—Patrick
That's what my wife and I are discussing. That's a hell of a rainy-day fund, but that seems about right given how long it takes to get a job offer.

We just got our first mortgage invoice yesterday and I cried. On top of the whole "real adult" feeling, it's less than what we were paying in rent. I knew that going in, but it wasn't real until now. And it won't be going up every April like the rent did.

We just got our first mortgage invoice yesterday and I cried. On top of the whole "real adult" feeling, it's less than what we were paying in rent. I knew that going in, but it wasn't real until now. And it won't be going up every April like the rent did.
Over a year later, I still occasionally have momentary flashes of panic trying to figure out how I'm going to pay my $2000 rent, only to snap to and remember that our mortgage is very nearly half that amount.

We've had some serious reshuffling of our expenses, too. We know things are going to improve, we know how quickly, and we know exactly how it's going to go. But because these changes are all happening right now (and some are even still in-progress), that means we aren't feeling the benefits yet, which means it's hella frustrating to have to constantly be reminding ourselves "Yes, we did the things, and 2019 is going to show so much improvement, and 2020 will be even better, etc...but that means we have to wait until 2019 to start actually benefitting" stupid long game mentality ruining my need for instant gratification rrrrhghghghrrhllll...

--Patrick

Mr. Ka-ta.
I am old enough for this reference. I don't know if they were reruns when I was a kid though.
I dunno, the show ended before I was born, but it was pretty well known, pop-culturally. I can't remember if I've seen a full episode, but if you called a kata team The Sweat Hogs, I'd get it.

I dunno, the show ended before I was born, but it was pretty well known, pop-culturally. I can't remember if I've seen a full episode, but if you called a kata team The Sweat Hogs, I'd get it.
@Dave! @Celt Z 's makin' me feel oooooollllddd!!!

(Can I get a letter from Juan Epstein's mother for that?)