The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

USCIS finally approved my residence application. It took them nearly 2 years, and I had (per the immigration agents I spoke with) a very straightforward and suspicion-less case. This green card is probably the longest I've had to wait for something.

Now I can plan a visit home to see my family :)
Now that Trump is president, you can't wait to become a citizen! Welcome fellow Patriot!

:problemo:

Michael Palin, after the wall fell.
@ThatNickGuy

East Berliners, guffawing.

(Don't make me teleport you to the planet's surface! That won't end well for me)

Okay, so for a proper explanation. Michael Palin (formerly of Monty Python fame) did a number of travel documentaries, starting with doing his own Around the world in 80 days, followed up by going Pole to Pole, and various others including touring Eastern Europe after The Wall fell.

On his visit to East Germany he sat in a room with a group of East Berliners engaged in what they called something like Laughter Therapy, and what you described as Laughter Yoga.

So, Michael Palin, after the wall fell.

So, about a month or two back, the people at Income Assistance informed me of a construction-related job. The official term is a Fibre Op Splicer. I was afraid to even apply since I have no experience in the field. However, this company would fully train someone. Apparently most of my time would be spent in the back of a truck feeding wires into a machine as it splices wires. The guy who interviewed me said most of his guys listen to music all day because it becomes very monotonous. Which, honestly, I've never minded doing repetitive tasks for long periods of time at other jobs.

The job starts at $16/hour, with full benefits after the 3-month probationary period, and can go to $30/hour or higher depending on additional training and experience with the company. Sometimes includes traveling to other parts of the province or even the country, with fully paid travel expenses.

And...I just got the e-mail with an offer of employment.

Training starts April 3.

Looks like I'm employed, folks. Now I'm just worried if I can even do this job or keep it.

Dave

Staff member
So, about a month or two back, the people at Income Assistance informed me of a construction-related job. The official term is a Fibre Op Splicer. I was afraid to even apply since I have no experience in the field. However, this company would fully train someone. Apparently most of my time would be spent in the back of a truck feeding wires into a machine as it splices wires. The guy who interviewed me said most of his guys listen to music all day because it becomes very monotonous. Which, honestly, I've never minded doing repetitive tasks for long periods of time at other jobs.

The job starts at $16/hour, with full benefits after the 3-month probationary period, and can go to $30/hour or higher depending on additional training and experience with the company. Sometimes includes traveling to other parts of the province or even the country, with fully paid travel expenses.

And...I just got the e-mail with an offer of employment.

Training starts April 3.

Looks like I'm employed, folks. Now I'm just worried if I can even do this job or keep it.
Good job...and holy shit! That's some great pay! Of course, that's in Canadian moose-bucks or something.

Good job...and holy shit! That's some great pay! Of course, that's in Canadian moose-bucks or something.
Especially for just starting out. Minimum wage up here is around $10.40 (give or take depending on the province). So starting out at $16 hour with full-time hours? It's amazing.

I can buy all the beavers I want with this kind of cash!

...wait.

Especially for just starting out. Minimum wage up here is around $10.40 (give or take depending on the province). So starting out at $16 hour with full-time hours? It's amazing.

...wait.
You're gonna be fighting the beavers off with a stick! I mean that literally, as I assume that's what happens in Canada.

GasBandit

Staff member

...wait.
It's about $12 USD which is really good for starting a job and getting OTJ training. Give it a couple months to build up a reserve and that's "get your own place" money.

It's about $12 USD which is really good for starting a job and getting OTJ training. Give it a couple months to build up a reserve and that's "get your own place" money.
That's the plan. I'll start putting money away in savings and wait at least until after the 3-month probation period. Maybe 5 or 6 months just to be sure.

GasBandit

Staff member
That's the plan. I'll start putting money away in savings and wait at least until after the 3-month probation period. Maybe 5 or 6 months just to be sure.
The longer you can put it off, the better. Not having to pay rent will really help build up savings, and a buffer is really important for emergencies. Thing is, if your folks are anything like mine, they'll start wanting rent within 3 months.

The longer you can put it off, the better. Not having to pay rent will really help build up savings, and a buffer is really important for emergencies. Thing is, if your folks are anything like mine, they'll start wanting rent within 3 months.
I already pay a little rent now, even on Income Assistance. Dad will expect me to pay probably $300/month starting with my first paycheque.

Splicing cable is fun, I only learned how to do it in an afternoon. But never went into that type of work. But when we have outages, I have a better appreciation of how long the repairs will take.

Take all the damn training possible. Ask you supervisor about management training once you are off probation. Hell, with your education, you could be managing a work crew in less than two years.

Dave

Staff member
I already pay a little rent now, even on Income Assistance. Dad will expect me to pay probably $300/month starting with my first paycheque.
Be sure to let him know that saving towards your own place is paramount to making it succeed. Granted, once you hit that $30 an hour you'll be making about $34,000 a year Canadian. And seeing as you're single with no kids, you'll be swimming in discretionary cash. You'll probably be able to pay all your bills, put money away, and STILL have enough to do most hobbies. As long as you don't go nuts spending.

I think things are finally coming up Nick!

Be sure to let him know that saving towards your own place is paramount to making it succeed. Granted, once you hit that $30 an hour you'll be making about $34,000 a year Canadian.
Shouldn't that be $62,400/year (~$47k/year after federal+province taxes for Nova Scotia)?

Splicing cable is fun, I only learned how to do it in an afternoon. But never went into that type of work. But when we have outages, I have a better appreciation of how long the repairs will take.

Take all the damn training possible. Ask you supervisor about management training once you are off probation. Hell, with your education, you could be managing a work crew in less than two years.
I know that the company has several positions. Some guys are apparently trained in more than one of those positions. I think that's part of where the $30/hour comes from. Or from guys who have been with the company for many many years. So if I get bored of splicing wires and want to do something else, there's that. And yeah, maybe management. This honestly sounds like the kind of place where I could have a career, not just some shit customer service job like I've always had.

If anyone's interested in looking up the company, it's called VistaCare.