[TV] The Doctor Who Thread

I think you'd like "The Zygon Invasion" and "The Zygon Inversion" two-parter, especially The Doctor's speech near the end of Inversion.

Anyone else annoyed by the fact that no one even brought up the idea of
Arya Stark taking the tattoo from Clara so she goes back to being in the contract?

Anyone else annoyed by the fact that no one even brought up the idea of
Arya Stark taking the tattoo from Clara so she goes back to being in the contract?
I was thinking the same thing,
but since they announced Jenna Coleman was leaving at the end of this season, I figured this was going to be her exit. If she wasn't leaving, they may have chose that route and let Ashlidr die "redeemed".

I've been enjoying the hell out of this season. for my money, its the best the shows been since matt smiths first, way back in 2010. the writers have finally gotten a good idea of how capaldis doctor behaves, and clara has been way way better than in her previous seasons. I even like the dorky as hell sonic sunglasses, because it fits capaldis doctors attitude so well. he's the 'old rocker who hasn't moved on, and doesn't give a shit that its not cool anymore' colossal dork of a doctor.
If the twelfth doctor was a rock band, he'd be ELO.

The highlight of the series so far has been the zygon invasion/inversion two parter, not least because of that ending speech, because well, good god damn. A two parter followup to the 50th anniversary hitting on political topics very close to the headlines, by the guy who wrote one of the more...controversial episodes in a long time (kill the moon), and slap bang in the middle of one of the strongest series in years? that was a hell of a thing to pull off.

not to mention the shades of tom baker i'm seeing in his performance.

The only episode I felt was a bit of a letdown was sleep no more, and that was more because the central conceit of the episode made following the story somewhat confusing. and it still had that immensely creepy ending.

And as for face the raven, I thought it was good! From what I could gather, the mark could only be moved the once. "it can be passed on, but not avoided altogether". I got the impression that mayor me's plan was to be the one who died in the end, but i'm not sure. transfer the mark from rigsy to herself, as a way of escaping immortality.

figmentPez

Staff member
This episode was pretty damn cool, and I'm intrigued to see where it goes, but I have one major question!

If all the other rooms in the place reset, why the hell didn't the super-diamond wall reset as well?

This episode was pretty damn cool, and I'm intrigued to see where it goes, but I have one major question!

If all the other rooms in the place reset, why the hell didn't the super-diamond wall reset as well?
Some say, the diamond wall is outside the castle, or the boundary to another dimension, so it isn't affected. But then, why are his burned body and the "bird" in the dirt left behind?

figmentPez

Staff member
I didn't notice, but others did, that there is a copy of the Silmarillion on the desk in the video, and it's got several bookmarks in it. Apparently Mr. Jackson is trying to troll Tolkien fans.

that was fucking awesome.

I think the dust and the skull in the teleport room didn't reset, because that room hadn't reset itself when the doctor clone/teleported himself, only after

So wife and I have a chance to see this year's Christmas special in Theater on Monday, but we haven't watched the latest season. Should we put off seeing the special until this season hits Netflix and watch it later on, or grab it while it's in Theater? Could also see Star Wars a second time...

I really enjoyed the Christmas special this year. I think it was my favourite Capaldi episode to date.

It was also apparently supposed to be Moffat's final episode before he agreed to do another season. Which is too bad because I think it would've been a nice wrap-up to his run.

Christmas special was great. I loved Capaldi and Alex Kingston together.
When he said "Hello, sweetie" and then when he gave her the sonic screwdriver...oh yeah, I lost it. :( But at least River finally got a proper sendoff, as sad as it was.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016...eplaced-by-broadchurch-creator-chris-chibnall

Looks like Moffat's out and Chris Chibnall is in.

On the one hand, it's been a long time coming for Moffat. He wore out his welcome with me quite awhile ago. His most common writing technique in the "big" episodes bugged me: meandering about with side characters for the first 20 minutes before finally getting to the crux of the episode (or finally showing The Doctor). Like this season's opener, where it took them 20+ minutes just to get to what the opening teased.

On the other hand, Chibnall's writing credits don't feel me with a lot of hope. At least when Moffat was hired on, he'd written some of the best episodes of the new Doctor Who. Chibnall wrote the pretty good 42 and the generally fun Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, but the rest are kind of ho-hum. He did the Silurian 2-parter in Matt Smith's first season, for example, which I thought was one of the weaker points of that mostly pretty good season.

Moffat wrote some great episodes, but I feel he was lack-luster as a show runner. Maybe Chibnall's strengths lie in his show running over his writing? I do like Broadchurch, although I admit I haven't see a lot of the later seasons.

Moffat wrote some great episodes, but I feel he was lack-luster as a show runner. Maybe Chibnall's strengths lie in his show running over his writing? I do like Broadchurch, although I admit I haven't see a lot of the later seasons.
I felt like that was the case with Davies.

Chibnall. Davies episodes were passable, but nothing to write home about. However as a whole I thought the show was much better under him.

I'm going to get a t-shirt printed. on the front is going to say "I SURVIVED THE MOFFAT HATE ERA". on the back is going to be "I WILL SURVIVE THE CHIBNALL HATE ERA"
Because this is doctor who, and for a show thats about time travel, the fandom seems to have fuck all long-term memory. I think moffat is quitting at the right time, and aside from a pretty rough season or so midway, he's been pretty great as showrunner. Season 5 and 9 were phenomenal, and season 6 isn't half bad on the rewatch. the clunkiness really set in at season 7, with the idiotic split down the middle.
And then we got the 50th episode, which was wonderful in so many ways.
The more I think about it the more i'm worried about chibbles upcoming tenure. I think his run on broadchurch probably helped seal the deal. he wrote Cyberwoman for fucks sake.

CYBERWOMAN.

New Doctor Who companion revealed

Hopefully she's from a time other than the present day. C'mon DW, give us something a little different!

Capaldi to leave Dr Who. Next season to be his last - looks like 3 seasons is the norm for actors to play the Doctor.

So once again, let's here the predictions. Will the Doctor finally get to be ginger? Will he be non-caucasian? Or a woman? (How about a ginger woman? That would please @GasBandit!)

GasBandit

Staff member
Capaldi to leave Dr Who. Next season to be his last - looks like 3 seasons is the norm for actors to play the Doctor.

So once again, let's here the predictions. Will the Doctor finally get to be ginger? Will he be non-caucasian? Or a woman? (How about a ginger woman? That would please @GasBandit!)
My dark confession: I am absolutely unimpressed by Doctor Who, it's everything I ever found irritating about British entertainment and culture all compressed into a show that never ever ever ends.

The phrase "wibbley wobbley timey-wimey" just makes me want to punch somebody. This is not a thing adults say.